Canelé

My BIG Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The snow’s piling up on the side of the road. With questions inside her head, Jieun just stared outside the window. Her eyes were just focused on the road they’re taking. Her hands were just tightly holding unto her phone. She’s been trying to figure out why Sehun has Jonghoon’s name tag since that day when she saw it in Sehun’s drawer. How could they be connected to each other? Despite trying not to entertain negative thoughts, she couldn’t help it. She couldn’t find the courage to ask Sehun directly about it. She’s afraid of his answer.

“Is there something wrong? You’re spacing out,” Mr. Choi asked, looking at Jieun through the rearview mirror. Jieun looked at her father before shaking her head.

“N-Nothing’s wrong. I’m just…thinking.”

Mr. Choi looked at his wife, who was sitting on the driver’s seat, as if he was trying to send Mrs. Kang a code for her to ask Jieun if she’s really fine. “You’ll gonna like it there. I heard your aunt bought a very pretty house near the beach,” Mrs. Kang suddenly stated. “So don’t look so…down.”

“Mom, I’m not feeling down,” Jieun said before sighing. “I’m actually excited to see aunt’s house it’s just that I have some things-” She paused when her phone vibrated. It was a text message from Sehun. “-to think about…” she trailed off before tapping on the screen to read the message.

From Oh-range-y: Call me when you get to your aunt’s house. It’s just an hour ride from our house. Take care.

Jieun just stared on the screen. Her phone vibrated again.

From Oh-range-y: ♥♥♥

She felt the strings of her heart being tugged. Sehun’s being the sweetest creature in the world and she’s in a complicated situation. Hesitating, she sighed and typed a reply.

To Oh-range-y: Okay.

The Sweet Room’s going to be closed for two days because of a sudden invitation from her aunt to visit them in Jeju. Entrusting the shop to Baekhyun and Chanyeol was not a good idea so they decided to just have a break. It’s not that much loss anyway. Sehun’s already in Jeju – visiting his family for winter break. When he learned that Jieun and her parents will be visiting his hometown, he was more than happy to become their tour guide.

Looking outside the window once again, she internally sighed. It’s going to be a very long day.

The sound of kids laughing woke her up from her slumber. Jieun blankly sat up, blinking and rubbing her eyes. “Wake up, sleepyhead. We’re here.” She looked at her father who was getting out of the car while pulling his own bag from the floor. When she looked around, she saw her mother talking to her sister, aunt Heejin, with a bright smile. Aunt Heejin’s children were running around the wide yard, throwing snow balls at each other.

Still half-asleep, she looked down at her phone. 10 messages from Oh-range-y. She quickly tapped on the screen, opening her inbox.

From Oh-range-y: Are you there yet?

From Oh-range-y: Jieun.

From Oh-range-y: Asleep?

From Oh-range-y: Hey.

From Oh-range-y: Psst…

From Oh-range-y: T^T

From Oh-range-y: (TT – TT)

From Oh-range-y: Jieun…

From Oh-range-y: Pretty potato :)

From Oh-range-y: Babe? ♥♥♥

She just stared at the last message, hearing her own heartbeat and feeling her cheeks burning. Hearing Sehun say that in person will definitely make her melt on spot. With a sigh, she pressed the call button. She held her phone closer to her ear. After ringing twice, Sehun picked up the phone with a cute tone. “Took you too long to call.” He paused. “Did you arrive already?”

“Yeah.” Jieun tapped her fingers on her thigh, thinking of what to say next.

“So…do you have any particular plan tomorrow?”

Her eyes darted at her mother’s direction. She was waving her hand, telling Jieun to follow them inside. Jieun nodded her head before gesturing that she’s going to follow them after the call. “I don’t really have any plans,” she replied. There was a pause on the other line. Jieun could hear the sound of cars on the background. “Are you driving?”

“No. I’m in a taxi. By the way, if you don’t have anything to do tomorrow, do you want to go out with me? I’ll be your tour guide for a day and I promise you that you’ll have a good time.” He’s boasting and Jieun found it cute. She bit her lip, lowering her head, stopping herself from putting a stupid smile on her face.

“Yeah, sure.”

Sehun chuckled and it sounded like a sweet melody to her. She’s just falling for him more and more. All negative thoughts about Sehun’s connection with Jonghoon’s already thrown outside the window. Maybe…I’m just overthinking. Maybe…he just picked it up on the street. Maybe…Jonghoon oppa lost it and Sehun accidentally found it. With all her heart and mind, she’s hoping and praying that it’s just a coincidence.

“Babe.”

Thump.

Thump.

W-What did he just say? Her mind’s buffering at the moment. “Babe?” Sehun whispered once again when she did not reply. She could imagine him shyly smiling on the other line. She put her hand on her chest, feeling her heart erratically beating. She swallowed the lump in .

“Y-Yeah?” she squeaked under her breath.

“I love you.”

Oh. My. Freaking. Gosh. My heart’s going to explode!!!! Jieun shut her eyes, holding unto her phone tightly. And with a shaky voice, she said her reply. “Me too. I love you.”

I think I’m in heaven.

 

 

5:07 PM

Jieun’s eyes went to the pot of kimchi stew in front her from the clock hanging on the side of the wall. Coming to a conclusion that it’s already cooked, she turned off the stove before reaching a bowl from the cabinet. Her aunt and her mother were busily preparing the food on the table. The kids were watching TV. It’s good to be surrounded by relatives once in a while.

“Jieun!” Aunt Heejin called out.

“Yes?”

“Can you go and give this to the grandma next door?”

Jieun quickly approached her aunt and reached for the tray of sweet rice cakes. “Tell her that I’m grateful for her grandson’s help yesterday.” With that, Jieun headed towards the door. It stopped snowing. As Jieun walked through the road, she couldn’t help but shiver. The house next door looked like a smaller version of her aunt’s house. The yard’s also wide. Slowly and carefully, she pushed the gate open.

Bark!

She almost had a heart attack when a golden retriever suddenly started barking at her. Jieun was ready to flee but her feet were glued on the ground. The dog ran towards her. She shut her eyes in fear. “I’m just here to give some rice cakes. I mean no harm. I-”

“Choi Jieun?”

Opening her eyes in surprise, she saw the dog wagging its tail. She turned around. “S-Seo Youngho?” she muttered, staring at the boy in front of her. He looked pretty surprised to see her there.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to give the grandma living in this house these rice cakes. My aunt told me to do so. She said that the grandma’s grandson helped her yesterday.” Jieun sounded like a rapper when she said that. There were no pauses. Her heart’s still beating fast in fear, thinking of getting bitten by the dog a while back. An amused smile broke unto Youngho’s face.

“Come in, have some tea or coffee,” Youngho offered. She stared at him like he was saying something weird. “I live here with my grandma and I’m the grandson who helped your aunt yesterday.”

“Oh, I see.” She stupidly nodded her head as she followed her. She stopped on her tracks when she saw the dog staring at her. Youngho chuckled before snapping her fingers.

“Lucky,” he called out and the dog ran towards him. Youngho looked at Jieun, smiling. “He’s gentle. He does not bite. He just barks loudly.”

Not taking her chances, Jieun walked behind Youngho all the way inside the house. A kind-looking old woman welcomed her when she stepped inside. It’s so cozy. She looked around, appreciating the interior of the house. Jieun quickly explained why she was there and soon enough, she found herself sitting in the living room.

“Do you know each other?” the old woman asked when she noticed that the two youngsters were already referring

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter