Sooyoung's Chapter: Renaissance

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first memory Sooyoung had of her family was during her five year old celebration. She had turned five, and by old tradition---well, werecat tradition, the child was supposed to have revealed their inner cats by the age of five, where their developed character was at it's strongest. Sooyoung loved her family. To be honest, the coloured banners and balloons were a serious contest but...I digress.

 

“Sooyoungie!” Sooyoung’s small head turned towards the direction of the squeal, opening her small hands in silent request to be carried by her mother who adored this promised daughter. Strong arms lifted her to nestle her comfortably against her mother’s chest, and Sooyoung snuggled silently against the warmth, burying her nose in her mother’s clothes. Sooyoung’s mother looked at her quiet daughter worriedly. Sooyoung was a bright child for her age, but deathly silent. From her rapt and quick understanding of people talking to her, the young mother knew that her daughter could talk proficiently, it was just that...she was unwilling to open to do so. Hence from the time her daughter could babble incoherent words, Sooyoung’s mother never heard her utter so much a word to even call her Mom or Mother. It was sad really, but she believed that her daughter had her reasons despite being so small.

 

“You’re going to be such a great, strong beautiful werecat.” Sooyoung felt her mother’s lips on her forehead, whispering words of promise. Her long lashed eyes drooped slightly as she fascinated herself with the ribbon on her mother’s shirt, tying and untying the accessory with nimble fingers. “Come.” Sooyoung shifted uncomfortably as her mother placed her on the evaluating table, eyes wide. She glanced around steadily, eyes returning the different gazes of all the clan members about her.

 

“Dedication.” The first elder intoned gently, eyes widening as the attribute lit up in his palm as they did a reading on the young princess’ soul. Whispers echoed in the crowd, surprised that such a rare attribute had appeared in a branch family’s royalty. Not even the main family had such an attribute in their princess, for dedication was one hard to find. For the dedication attribute to light and glow strongly, the conduit for dedication---her willpower, must have been immense and intense.

 

“Loyalty.”

 

“Service.”

 

“Duty.”

 

“Honor.”

 

“Forbearance.”

 

“Love.”

 

“Wisdom.” Whispers grew as more and more of the attributes lit up in the elders’ hands. Altogether there were nine attributes in the Werecats Clan. It was already rare that seven attributes had lit up, but with the eight attribute lighting up, people started in their seats, eyes glowing at the rare gift that Sooyoung presented.

 

“Heart.” The last elder whispered as the globe in his hands shone with a blinding white light. Slowly, he stared at the young child in the middle and begin to laugh. “Heart! She has all nine attributes!” Heart was by far the most difficult of all the globes to light up. It compassed of almost all of the attributes that were present before, but the meaning of having Heart meant that the child could embrace love and think beyond just for herself and her clan, but to reach and feel for others, it was what people looked for in Kings and Queens, the ability to feel for and think for everyone before themselves.

 

Sooyoung’s mother burst into tears, and almost immediately the young child on the table reached for her. She reached forward, attempting to take her daughter into her arms, only for Sooyoung to make soft hushing sounds and pat her back gently with her small hands, before turning back to the elders.

 

“Now for her spirit.” The elder reached forward, taking a smooth stone in his hands. He passed by the Truthseeker in their clan, who nodded gravely. The man seated on the throne clenched his fists angrily as he stared at the child on the table, before directing his glare at his wife and daughter at the side, who shrank back in slight fear. With this child, his brother had more right to claim his seat of the Clan Head more than anyone else. Teuk already had many people turning to him due to his charisma and mannerisms, and with this talented child, what was left of his people’s hearts would turn to his brother, and they would help Teuk up to his throne. His fist clenched. If the child had a talented cat spirit too, she must be killed.

 

The truthseeker sensed the roiling mood of the king beside him and closed his eyes, picturing the girl child in his mind’s eye.

 

Sooyoung!

 

A pale hand grasped the tall but beautiful girl as they stood in the battlefield, scattered with blood of their enemies.

 

We need to go! Taeyeon is waiting for us!

 

The beautiful werecat girl leapt onto the horse with nimble feet, lashing out with her claws at the throat of the nearest demon soldier, teeth bared in a snarl. They raced forward towards the tower and scaled the walls quickly, with the werecat leaping to squat onto ledge.

 

We can’t hold them for long. Jiyong’s forces are indeed powerful.

 

The truthseeker blinked slightly, forcing himself to see in the werecat child’s point of view. Sooyoung turned, and a blinding force of pure light filled his vision, in the middle a girl, short but beautifully pale, glowing with an unearthly purity and light.

 

Halfing.

 

Angelic Halfing. The truthseeker gasped slowly as Sooyoung grasped the hand of the glowing girl.

 

Taeyeon.

 

Soo, you need to go. I can’t lose anymore people. Please. The girl named Taeyeon had tears in her eyes.

 

I’ve never regretted serving you.

 

Sooyoung smiled blindingly at the girl, who screamed as she dove down the walls, headfirst into the sprawling mob of demonic soldiers.

 

SOOYOUNG! The force of the angelic halfing’s terrified and shattered scream forced the truthseeker back into his body. His chest heaved. So this was why the girl had lit up all the attributes. She was to grow to be a great warrior, with a wonderful purpose than was far beyond just her clan solely.

 

Destiny has great things for you, Choi Sooyoung.

 

He beamed proudly at the clueless little girl as the elder holding the smooth stone scurried back to him, face a little pale. He started in his seat.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Her spirit animal is a Bakeneko. The most powerful and revered of all our werecats.” He hissed lowly. “The king will not let her live to grow out her power and take his throne.” Bakenekos were prophesied as demons or demonic spirits that brought misfortune to humans wherever they went. While they were treated terribly in the eyes of humans, Bakenekos were highly revered in the werecat community, as they had the chance to evolve into Nekomatas : The two tailed cat that had necromantic powers. But for the Bakeneko spirit to awaken, the child was meant to suffer through certain hardships in life before fully awakening her dormant spirit.

 

“Tell them her spirit is one of a household cat. Unable to shift, unable to pose any threat.”

 

“But!”

 

“We need to protect this child. She has great things ahead of her beyond the clan itself.” The elder closed his eyes in resignation and nodded.

 

“Choi Sooyoung, spirit animal, Household Cat!”

 

And thus Sooyoung fell from that moment as the most treasured princess, to a scum of dirt below everybody’s feet.

 

~~~~~~

“Scum! Dirt! Trashbag!” The children before Sooyoung jeered as she peered at them through intense but uncaring eyes.

 

“Shoo! Go away!” Her sister furiously dashed forward unsheathing her claws and swiping at the bunch of werecat boys jeering in her ten year old sister’s face.

 

“Sooyoungie.” Sooyoung peered up at her sister’s concerned eyes and shook her head, offering a sweet smile to the older girl, who sighed and took her hand. “ I love you, you know that. But you must defend yourself!” The younger girl shook her head silently, patting her sister’s hand swiftly. Sooyoung was branded an outcast after her ninth birthday for not being able to shift into a feline form. She was still allowed to stay in clan lands, just unable to see her family and having to live alone. Sooyoung’s mother had screamed at their king for sentencing a nine year old child to live by herself, and Sooyoung’s sister’s heart tore in two as she watched she sister’s silent but steady eyes. It had been five years and Sooyoung still had not spoken a word, and she knew they felt guilty for not being able to protect her due to their status as a branch family, but in all honesty, Sooyoung didn’t mind. She knew her family loved her dearly, with or without the cat spirit or not. The forest before them shook ominously, and Sooyoung stood suddenly, a sense of dread piercing her very core as she gripped her sister’s hand tightly, her fright in her eyes. Her sister darted in front of her, breathing heavily as she shifted into her feline form, claws extending and teeth sharpening. Sooyoung clutched her sister’s waist tightly with her hands as she felt her sister’s tail swish the floor protectively.

 

The forest suddenly burst into screams of dying animals, cries of families and bloodthirsty cries as well as the slash of swords. The trees before them shook, before two familiar figures burst into the clearing, heavily wounded and bloodied.

 

“Mama!” Sooyoung’s sister screamed, darting forward with her sister as their parents collapsed in front of them, bleeding heavily. Sooyoung screamed wordlessly, her hands cupping her father’s face as tears of terror streamed down her face.

 

“Soojin, take your sister and go!” Blood leaked from her father’s mouth as he stood forcefully.

 

“Whats happening? Whats happening!” Her sister screamed, her grip on Sooyoung’s hand tight in her fear and fury.

 

“The human king ordered to exterminate all other species.” Her father laughed lowly. “Everyone’s dead.” Sooyoung shook off her sister’s hand and darted forward to clutch her father’s hand tightly.

 

“Soojin, take your siste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter