Of Love and Sacrifice

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon’s Mother once told her, marriage was something to rejoice about, because her daughter would be extremely happy with the choice she would make and choose of her future husband later on in her life.

 

But Taeyeon was not.

 

Tears welled in her eyes as she stared at the pendant in her hands, throwing the piece of parchment across the floor in her desperate hurt anger.

 

The ball of paper bounced and hit a pair of dragon embellished shoes, and a pale thin hand picked up the paper she had thrown, unravelling it with beautiful hands.

 

“Its you.” She mumbled, watching as Seunghyun, or her lord husband stepped into their shared chambers, reading the contents of the piece of message Yuri had sent her.

 

“Second Prince Jiyong appeared in the house tonight and purchased two new women to accompany him to bed. He was drunk with wine by the end of the day, neglecting royal duties of a soldier and commander.” Seunghyun read the content of the letter, musing.

 

“Shut up!” Taeyeon snapped at him, tears in her eyes and obviously peeved at the contents he just muttered.

 

“Does Jiyong not know why you married me and that we never consummated our marriage?” Taeyeon turned her head away stubbornly.

 

“I never told him anything.” Seunghyun blinked in surprise.

 

“You're going to regret that. You should have. Jiyong would have understood you.”

 

“I don't need you to tell me that! I know that clearly myself!”

 

“It hurts, doesn't it? Seeing the man you love seek pleasure and comfort in others?” Seunghyun murmured softly, and Taeyeon turned her tear filled eyes to him, the crystal tears spilling over the edge of her eyes as she blinked.

 

“It hurts.” She curled into herself. “Seunghyun, why does it hurt so much?” She burst into tears as he hugged her gently, running an arm soothingly down her back, shushing her.

 

“It's love.” Seunghyun smiled wanly. “Just like how I love your sister and can't be with her, and how I watch her with someone else.” He paused for a moment. “At least you're better off than me. Both you and Jiyong love each other. Me? It's just a one sided crush. Tiffany doesn't even know I like her.” Taeyeon sniffled on his shoulder. “Feeling better?” Taeyeon scowled and shook her head.

 

“I still hurt.” She whined like a child, and Seunghyun chuckled.

 

“Love is supposed to hurt us. “He murmured. “It's only when we love so strongly that we get hurt, and because of the hurt we endure, we come out stronger than before.” He slid back slightly as Taeyeon's nose touched his.

 

“Who told you that?” Seunghyun watched Taeyeon sadly.

 

“No one.” He lifted his face up to the moon lit sky. “I just figured it out the hard way all on my own.”

 

Taeyeon stared at Seunghyun in silence, before reaching over silently and clasping his hand in hers.

 

~~~~~

Taeyeon stood before the looming palace, her hands drenched in cold sweat as she prepared herself for her entrance. Seunghyun had insisted they stayed outside the palace, much to the chagrin of his own mother, who very much wanted them to stay inside the palace, to ensure that a heir would be born. At that demand, Seunghyun had thrown a royal temper fit and grabbed her hand, walking out of his mother's doors despite for her calls for him to come back.

 

Now here she was.

 

Back again with very different reasons apart from marriage and the issue of her husband's.

 

“Taeyeon.” Jessica muttered lowly, her face gaunt and pale as she clenched in her fist five different bloody clothes, sent to their household before the night before. Taeyeon turned slightly, and her eyes grazed a drunk man that had collapsed at the ground, his hand over his face and a bottle of wine in his hands.

 

The jagged scar on his hand and long dark hair told her who he was.

 

“Jiyong.” She whispered, heart aching as she went forward to him, gently reaching out to pull him into a better position.

 

“Hng?” Jiyong opened his bleary eyes, unfocused and wet, only for the face that tortured his dreams to appear before him, eyes wet and brows furrowed in concern.

 

“Jiyong, what happened to you? Where are the clothes I made for you? Come.” She pulled him gently to his feet.

 

“ off!” Jiyong slurred angrily, spitting in Taeyeon's direction. “ off off off!” He roared, and Taeyeon flinched back as he swung an arm in her direction. “Go back to your ing of a husband.” Jiyong snarled, his hands gripping her collar with such pure anger and hurt that Taeyeon wanted to cry. “As for that clothing you sewed for me? I wanted to burn them, but decided maybe a better more torturous way for you to suffer is to see if your gift was given away.” He hiccuped, swaying on his feet. “So I exchanged it for some peasants clothing.” He grinned maliciously in her direction. “And the peasant couple I sold it to sold it for lots of money. Oh and also, did you know I ed women every night? Those women enjoyed the brutal ing like the they were. They were much better company than you ever were.” Taeyeon fingers dug into the flesh of her palms as she felt her eyes sting with fresh tears. “ After all, it's the pleasures of the flesh they are the most pleasurable and yet sinful.” His wine soaked breath was sour on her face, and she could see the tears gathering in his eyes.

 

“Jiyong, I…” He let go of her collar and smoothed it out mockingly for her.

 

“Don't let me stop you from meeting your favourite mother in law. Go on.” Her hand missed his by a few inches as he turned and swayed, before walking drunkenly away.

 

“Taeyeon.” Jessica's voice was low, understanding but angry. “That was too much. Do you need me to teach him a lesson?”

 

“No. No.” Taeyeon mumbled quickly. “ It was my fault anyways. I….deserved it.” She smiled wanly in Jiyong's direction as her heart clenched.

 

The doors of the palace swung open.

 

“Let's go.” Her eyes fell away from his swaying figure, as she entered the palace doors with a trembling, bloodied and aching heart.

 

~~~~~~

Taeyeon's hurt and pain turned into unbelievable rage as she glared at the Queen before her. She threw the bloodied rags before them.

 

“What is this? I’ve done as you told me to and married Seunghyun!” Rage made tears well in her eyes. “You promised me you’d release my sisters!”

 

“I don’t see you in a position to demand anything from me, Kim Taeyeon. After all, I have five of your siblings in my hands.” The Queen scrutinized her nails with sharp eyes. “I will keep my hold on your sisters until you give me what I want. Believe me, they are such valuable and good hostages to use. Marrying my son is not enough.” Her hand rested peacefully on the throne arm. “I need an heir from you to secure Seunghyun’s position as king.” Taeyeon’s fists clenched.

 

“Never! Never never never!” She screamed, losing all sense of propriety and letting her rage consume her. “You will give me my sisters!”

 

The Queen narrowed her eyes at the young girl before her, face red with anger and angry tears filling her eyes. She grew angry herself.

 

“Bring the prisoners here.” Her tone dropped coldly, and the soldiers nodded, disappearing beyond the room.

 

“You would need to thank Sha for bringing your sisters here, Kim Taeyeon.” She waved her hand, and a dark swirling mass appeared before them. “He is a demon that came from the demon world to help Jiyong. The only catch is…”She smiled maliciously, looking so much like her second son that goosebumps rose on Taeyeon’s skin. “He doesn’t like you. And the feeling is mutual. So I worked together with him. Sha wants to get rid of you from Jiyong’s side, because apparently, you’re distracting him.” She connoted the air with her fingers mockingly. “And I want you to secure my son’s throne. My interest coincide with his.” She turned to smile at Taeyeon. “So thank your lover’s subordinate for helping me kidnap your sisters and hold them hostage.”

 

The soldiers came back, holding five chained girls, limping and barely standing on their feet. The youngest was lying on the oldest’s back, face pale and feverish.

 

“Taeyeon…” Taeyeon lunged forward with a cry, as did Jessica, and they both pulled their sister's into hugs, the smell of fresh blood assaulting their nostrils as they made body contact with each other. Sooyoung's legs gave way as soon as Taeyeon reached her, and Taeyeon caught the girl deftly in her hands, before pulling the smallest girl off her back.

 

“Oh God.” Taeyeon moaned as she started at the pale face of the little girl in her arms. “Hayeon.” The little girl was barely breathing, the whipping all five girls had went through being too much for the frail seven year old. Cold sweat beaded her forehead, and she neither responded to her sister's calls nor reacted to any stimuli.

 

“How could you?!” Taeyeon screamed, her tears spilling from her eyes as she grasped her youngest sister tightly. “My sister is only seven. Seven! She's nothing but a baby!”

 

“Well, I needed her blood to convince you they were in dire danger. Whipping them was the best option, since neither of them were willing to offer their blood up or fingers up as proof.”

 

“You're even worse than your son's. How you gave birth to Seunghyun and Jiyong, who are such perfect people is beyond me.” Jessica hissed lowly, cradling Krystal as Tiffany gently massaged the poultice onto her damaged skin of her back.

 

“Don't you dare mention Kwon Jiyong being like me!” The sudden rage that overtook the Queen made all five other girls duck behind Taeyeon and Jessica, still bleeding from their wounds. “He is no son of mine.” Taeyeon placed her hand on Jessica's shoulder prevent her from snapping further.

 

“At least let me take care of them.” She begged, feeling Yoona and Seohyun cling to her skirts. “And Hayeon. She's only seven!”

 

“I made myself very clear, Kim Taeyeon what my criteria for their release was.”

 

“I…” Taeyeon faltered.

 

To give a child to Seunghyun was not what Taeyeon wanted. Originally, Taeyeon truly believe they could get married and things could be left at that, her idea and desire of having a family having been blown to dust since the Queen forced her to marry Seunghyun instead of Jiyong. Jiyong was the person that she had imagined getting married to, getting old with, falling in love with, having children just like them running and playing with.

 

Not Seunghyun.

 

Never him.

 

Tears welled helplessly in her eyes.

 

“Tae, it's fine. We'll be fine there. I'll help protect the rest of the girls. Just don't---” Sooyoung croaked, stirring from her stupor of pain and sweat at the Queen's words.

 

“Since you can't give me a definite answer, I will hold the girls imprisonment till you give me the answer that I want. “ The Queen raised her hands, and Sha descended on the girls like a flock of bats, vanishing them from view, save their screams and cries for their two helpless sisters.

 

“Wait-- please!” Taeyeon screamed as she felt Hayeon being ripped from her arms. “Hayeon--”

 

“I am tired now. You may leave. Until you've returned with a satisfactory answer, I will not give the girls back.” The Queen raised her head lazily. “Go now, Kim Taeyeon, before I change my mind and have your sisters killed for their disobedience.”

 

Taeyeon gripped Jessica's wrist tightly, stopping her from lunging forward at the Queen, and dragged her out of the throne room, kicking and flailing.

 

“Taeyeon! What the are you doing---” Jessica ceased to struggle as Taeyeon let go of her arms and sank her face into her hands. “Hey. You alright?”

 

“I'm such a terrible person.” Taeyeon whispered, tears falling down her face helplessly. “I can't help my sisters, neither can I do things that won't hurt myself and the one I love.” She croaked. Jessica sighed softly, feeling Tiffany wrap her thin arms around their shoulders comfortingly.

 

“It's not your fault you know. We should ask for help. From Jiyong Oppa.” Tiffany finally opened , responding softly for the first time in a long while since the five other girls had been kidnapped. “He would help us.”

 

“No.” Taeyeon shook her head angrily. “I'm not bringing Jiyong back into such a thing---”

 

“I'm saying,” Tiffany interrupted, “At least tell him what is happening. Or else he will just shun you like he did. And also about that demon servant Sha. I believe Jiyong needs to know about it.” Taeyeon sighed softly, closing her eyes as she contemplated with her head in her hands.

 

“Let's go.” She murmured softly after a few moments. “I need to tell this new development to Seunghyun Oppa.”

 

~~~~~

 

“What? Kim Taeyeon, tell me you didn't agree with this horrendously stupid plan.”

 

“What would you have me do? Cry? Scream? Kill your mother? She has a demon at her disposal because he is Jiyong’s servant. Until now I didn't even know there were demons existing in this world! I thought they were chased away by the truce the king and Queen held seventeen years ago!” Taeyeon hissed angrily.

 

Seunghyun fell into sullen silence.

 

“But we can't possibly have a child. I mean,” He faltered as Taeyeon glared at him angrily. “No offense, you are really beautiful, but my balls still hurt from the reminding kick you gave it the last time I went this close to you.” Taeyeon huffed softly. “And besides, I promised Jiyong I would never have you in my bed, despite the fact he refused to believe my words.”

 

“Well, I'm not planning to have your son either.” Taeyeon mumbled softly. “The last time I had such thoughts of having children was when I was with Jiyong. “

 

“Waiiiit. You two did the deed?”

 

“No!” Taeyeon flung a pillow at Seunghyun’s face. “We dated but we never had you foul minded creature!” Seunghyun patted his chest in relief.

 

“Well, maybe we can trick Jiyong into consummating with you.” Silence descended upon his suggestion, and Seunghyun looked at Taeyeon's pale face. “He's been having , hasn't he?” He said softly, trying to be as gentle as possible with his suggestion.

 

“You're asking me to dress like a and seduce him to get a child.”

 

“It's the only way isn't it? We can't possibly take a child from the streets. My mother would know with your belly not growing swollen with child. And both of us aren't willing to give our bodies to each other except to the ones we love.” Taeyeon looked up at Seunghyun helplessly. “I know it's not what you wanted for your first night and with Jiyong,” he swallowed tightly, “ But your sisters are at stake. And I know Jiyong won't be safe either if this continues.”

 

“He wouldn't know he'd be ing me though? That's what you mean?” Taeyeon said weakly.

 

Seunghyun paused.

 

“Yes.” He watched as Taeyeon collapsed into fresh tears, guilt building steadily in his heart. “I'm sorry.” He whispered softly into her ears.

 

~~~~~

The air smelt heavily of perfumed incense, the smoke wafting towards the male reclining half on the bed and off the bed. Taeyeon shivered as she stepped into the room, Seunghyun giving her a gentle nod as he paid the ladies that originally we're waiting upon Jiyong, and Taeyeon entered the Chambers, half choking on the smell of the incense, half trying to breathe through the veil she had covering and nose.

 

Cold wind caressed her exposed stomach and shoulders, the fabric she was wearing barely covering any parts of her body---Taeyeon could feel the flush of mortification on her cheeks as she approached Jiyong----how did all the werecats and wear such clothes all day?

 

She fidgeted in her seat as Jiyong opened his drunk eyes, half gold in the dim light and lustful in their desire.

 

“What took you so long to come?” Shivers shot up her spine at his sensual voice, and Taeyeon felt her breath hitch at his words.

 

“I...I'm new.” Her voice was unbelievably soft, and Jiyong's eyes widened at her tone. Taeyeon felt her heart ached in his chest as his eyes dimmed upon her veiled face.

 

“You sound just like her.”

 

“Who, my Lord?” Taeyeon breathed softly, moulding her body gently to his as he reclined, watching her with slitted eyes.

 

“No one.” Jiyong's voice only hardened moments later, and Taeyeon's heart clenched.

“You must really love her though.” She whispered softly, taking his hand in hers and gently massaging it.

 

“Hah. But she doesn't love me as much as I do love her.” An ugly sob rose from his chest, and Taeyeon almost felt like ripping of the veil from her face to scream at him that it was her standing before him.

 

“I miss her so much.” Tears, hot and heavy, spilled from his eyes over her shoulder as he rested his chin on the thin fabric. “I miss her so so much.” Taeyeon gently lifted her hands to Pat on his back.

 

“I'm sure she misses you too.” Her voice was as soft as a feather, thin and silky.

 

“Nah.” Jiyong fumbled a throaty laugh. “She got married to my brother.” The bitterness was clear in his voice. “She must be happy though, being married to the crown Prince.” Taeyeon fell silent at his words.

 

“I don't think so, my Lord.” She murmured carefully into his ear. “Rumours have been heard at the Crown Princess never leaves her Chambers despite her husband calling for her.” Jiyong snorts a laugh, but Taeyeon felt comforted in the slight relaxation off his lean muscular body.

 

“Are you not comfortable today for..” Taeyeon flushed as he stared at her intently. “My--” She squeaked as he pounced on her, breath heavy upon her slender neck, the thin fabric of a skirt that fell to her knees bunching up at her waist.

 

“You remind me a lot of her.” Jiyong's words were slurred. “Taeyeon.” He breathed softly, his wine tinted breath fanning over her face like feathers. He buried his nose in her neck gently, breathing steadily, and Taeyeon felt hot tears drenching her neck from his eyes. “You even smell like her.” He lifted lustfilled but yearning eyes. “What is your name?”

 

Taeyeon paused for a moment, a sad smile spreading her face as looked at his handsome face.

 

“Tete.” She whispered.

 

Jiyong hummed in pleasure, skimming her pulse points with his teeth as his hands roamed her body.

 

“C-can you be gentle with me?” He glanced up at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter