Training

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene watched as her mentor smashed a vase to pieces after Taeyeon left for Jiyong’s bed chambers in the night, face red with fury and desperation, her fist bleeding profusely from the shattered fragments of the vase in her hand.

 

“Hurting yourself won’t change Tae’s decision, Jess.” Lady Tiffany reclined lazily in the couch, turning up lazy eyes to look at her mentor. Irene bit her lips, watching as she tossed Jessica a vase of poultice.

 

“Follow me.” Jessica’s eyes were furrowed deeply as she snapped at Irene. “I need to work out this anger in me.”

 

“You mean taking me as a punching bag?” Irene replied wryly, crossing her arms, and she flinched slightly as Jessica turned back, eyes raging, before her heavily knitted eyebrows relax and a wry smile crosses her lips.

 

“Meaning, you’ll be having your training in weaponry start today.” Irene heaved a sigh of relief as her mentor exited the room, with Tiffany’s chuckles trailing behind her.

 

“She’s more like you than you know.” Irene heard Tiffany’s voice echo behind them as they left the room. She hurried down the steps to stand next to Jessica as they waited for transport.

 

“What did she mean by that?” She asked curiously. “Her Majesty also said that about me. You know, about being like you.” Jessica scowled heavily.

 

“Its just a running joke between us.” She snapped, and Irene huffed between her lips. “You’re annoyingly inquisitive.”

 

“Tell me.” Irene insisted, ignoring the warning signs of Jessica’s temper flaring before it settled.

 

“Fine.” Jessica’s voice was grudging as a carriage drove up to their side. “Get in and I’ll tell you.” Irene scrambled to get into the carriage, planting her bottom with eager eyes attached to Jessica’s frame, who tossed a coin into the coin deposit machine and the carriage cranked to life. The carriage jerked, and Irene yelped, startled by the sudden movement.

 

“So, are you going to tell me now?” She tilted her head inquisitively. Jessica glared at her resignedly.

 

“I’m a sistercon.” She replied grudgingly. Irene blinked.

 

“A what?”

 

“Sistercon.” Jessica growled out lowly.

 

“Wait. So you like your sister?” Irene asked incredulously. “Like like like?”

 

“No! I’m just protective of her.” She snapped, before pausing and adding a moment later. “Very, protective.”

“Oh.” Irene nodded in understanding. That protectiveness was something that she understood firsthand. Afterall, she was the same as Jessica in that way towards her sisters.

 

Wait.

 

They said Jessica and her were similar in many ways.

 

“So they think I’m a sistercon?” Irene blustered. Jessica grinned slightly.

 

“Aren’t you?” Irene sagged resignedly.

 

“Kind of..” She admitted.

 

“Well, I also told off my instructor on taking me as a punching bag on after my first day of practice.” A smirk lighted her lips.

 

Oh. Irene mouthed. Her mind rewinded back to the few moments ago. You mean taking me as a punching bag?

 

Her cheeks flushed in mortification.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that though.” The carriage clinked as they reached the mansion that was the remaining mansion of the Kim’s inheritance. Jessica shrugged, alighting from the carriage and pushing open the door for the other girl.

 

“Its good to express your feelings freely.” She waved Irene to follow her, depositing her pair of gloves into a platter carried by a servant girl.

 

“Is it all females here?” Jessica huffed lightly through her nostrils, reaching before the flaming fireplace with a foot and tapping a brick gently. Irene’s eyes widened as large as saucers as a grinding sound crunched in their ears, the floor falling into the fireplace in a form of stairs that appeared in the flickering flames. Faintly, sounds of swords clashing could be heard.

 

“Yes.” Jessica replied shortly to the girl. “Follow me.” Irene hitched up her skirts, hurrying frantically down the steps after her mentor as the fireplace closed swiftly behind her.

She stared wide-eyed at the wide spread provisions of food and materials categorised neatly in bunks and rows as they hurried towards what seemed like an arena. A familiar figure of brown hair flared into her vision, and her sister Wendy swam into her view as she clashed with her mentor Hyoyeon with sharp swords. The blonde haired lady countered the fierce strike from her sister and swiftly turned, smashing harshly a fist into the girl’s back, winding her as she fell to the ground.

 

“You keep doubting yourself, Wendy!” Hyoyeon’s loud but irate voice rang across the arena. Irene winced slightly. The blonde haired woman’s face was scrunched into a fierce tight frown.

 

“No I don’t!” Wendy struggled to pick herself up, swiftly taking up the sword that had dropped from her hands when her mentor struck her.

 

“Yes.” Hyoyeon scrutinized her. “You do.” Irene could tell that the woman’s words had stirred up her hot headed sister’s anger.

 

“No I don’t!” Wendy hefted the sword and struck a heavy blow towards her blonde haired mentor, yelling out a raged cry.

 

“Watch. She’s going to fall.” Irene heard her mentor mutter lowly. Irene watched intently as Hyoyeon stepped back swiftly, her left arm pushing Wendy back so strongly that she involuntarily took a step back. Hyoyeon’s sword flashed forward immediately, and Wendy yelped, stepping back of her own accord to avoid the sword point voluntarily---and then she fell on her bottom, with a heavy thud.

 

“She’s not any good at this, isn’t she?” Irene despaired as she watched her sister wince and take the hand of her mentor. Jessica smiled slyly at her words, shaking her head with a small laugh.

 

“No. She’s very good for someone who has just learnt to spar a couple of days before.”

 

“Couple of days?”

 

“Time flows differently down her in the Arena. We built it for the purpose of training ourselves. Twenty-four hours here is not even a day outside.” Jessica folded her arms. “You sister’s very good at her skill.” Irene’s eyes widened in surprise. “She’s holding on her own against Hyoyeon.” She turned to face Irene, arms crossed. “Hyo has been fighting in arenas even before she could talk. The Him Clan people are slaves, warriors branded to fight in arenas. They are taught how to fight before they could walk and talk. Hyoyeon was only nine when we found her in the arenas, fighting everyday for her life against men thrice her size. I think you’re sister’s doing well, even though Hyo’s holding back.” Irene swallowed as Jessica stepped up the Arena steps.

 

“Hyo!” The blonde haired woman turned at the call of her sister, and Irene nearly shrieked as her sister saw the opportunity of the lady being distracted to stab forward with her sword. Hyoyeon reacted belatedly, the side of Wendy’s sword glancing off the blade she wielded as she barely managed to fend off the strike from the girl. Jessica raised her eyebrows, and the two mentors looked at Wendy with amused eyes, who panted and stood proudly where she was.

 

“Ha! She’s got guts!” Hyoyeon crowed happily the moments later, clapping her student on the back, and Irene saw Wendy’s eyes widen in surprise, before a pleased look took over her face. “Thats what I’m talking about! Using opportunities even though they may seem dishonourable at first. In a battle, no one waits for you to be noble and honourable. Its a matter of fighting for yourself and those you want to protect.” Wendy nodded, brightening as she saw her older sister, hurrying over to Irene with bright eyes.

 

“Did you see that? Did you see that? I got praised!” Irene nodded gently, ruffling her sister’s hair.

 

“So. What did you call me for?” Hyoyeon sheathed her sword, wiping the sweat from her brow.

 

“I use a sword.” Jessica tilted her head, responding as though Hyoyeon should understand her words at first glance.

 

“Yeah, I know that.” Hyoyeon frowned deeply. Jessica rolled her eyes and sighed.

 

“I want her main weapon to be a dagger and a crossbow. Hidden weapons. Not like mine.” Hyoyeon’s eyebrows raised.

 

“Sure?”

 

“She’s smart, and she always scrutinizes her situations carefully before acting. She’d make a good assassin, but Yul has her hands full with Seulgi. You’re the only one other than Yul that knows how to use hidden weaponry and daggers.” Hyoyeon grinned, pointing a thumb at Wendy.

 

“Sorry. I’m busy with my girl Wendy.” Jessica scowled at Hyoyeon’s words.

 

“I’ll do your laundry for the next two months.” Hyoyeon’s eyes widened at her words.

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Seriously.”

 

“Deal!” Hyoyeon spat on her hand, and both mentors shook hands swiftly. Irene could only laugh emptily. She felt like a merchandise being sold by her mentor. [Irene: (o´_`o)]

 

“Hey you! Irene, aren’t you?” Hyoyeon pointed at her beckoning with a strong hand. “I want to see how strong you are.” She slapped her thighs as she squatted slightly. “Come at me.”

 

“I..I..”Irene blundered, glancing at the strength rippling in the older girl’s arms and then her own attire, a flowy dress. “I’m not dressed properly to spar!”

 

“You’re probably going to be in this attire almost all the time if you’re going to be Taeyeon’s maid. You might as well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter