The Ethos of Jung Soo Yeon

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flashback:

Taeyeon had been no older than seven when her father, Soo Man had taken her and her cousin Sunny out into the fields where the poor had lay. A empathic child by nature, Taeyeon had gazed at the poverty and helplessness with tears in her eyes, small hands clutching her skirts with silent brooding fury. Sunny had held her hand comfortingly, both girls frowning at the corruption and the blatant misuse of power of the upper classes.

"Distribute the grains of food to those who need it. Quickly." Taeyeon barely heard her father utter those words, and with a silent nod of agreement from Sunny, both girls clambered down the carriage and planted their feet firmly in the wet soiled ground.

"My ladies! You cannot!" Their wet nurses had shrieked in mortification as the white dressed they donned got soiled by dirty hands and feet. Taeyeon turned to a small sack of grain, grunting as she hoisted it onto her back.

"Let me help." Sunny grabbed hold of the bottom of the sack, both girls struggling across muddy soil towards the dying people. They crossed a dead family of four, and tears slipped down in fat jewels down Taeyeon's eyes.

"This isn't right! Isn't right!" She screamed, stirring the villagers from their stupor. "Why is everyone starving?" Sunny clutched her hand quickly, both of them dropping the sack to the ground.

"Here." Taeyeon frantically scrambled for a broken bowl on the floor, dusting the mud off clumsily with her small hands and scooping up a huge amount of granary.

"Thank you." The old man she gave the grains to croaked, and tears flowed down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry I can't help." She burst into tears, rubbing her eyes frantically. "I'm so useless because all I can do is cry!" Sunny stood behind her in silence.

"Don't cry. It ruins your pretty face." Taeyeon froze as a small hand tugged weakly on her frock. She blinked through her tears, gasping and stepping backwards hurriedly as she sees the family of four that she originally thought dead stirring slightly. The parents were long gone, but the two children, girls, were barely breathing through their cracked lips.

"They're alive." She breathed. "Sun, they're alive." Her cousin immediately stopped down to check the younger girl as Taeyeon clutched the older child's hand.

"Can you hear me?" Taeyeon nearly shouted.in her desperation as the child'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter