The Mother of Queens

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bed was cold and empty when Jiyong awoke, no trace of Taeyeon’s figure within the bedsheets like he usually would see when he awoke from his slumber.

 

“You’re awake.” She was seated next to the window, her face bathed in the orange pink glow of the sunrise in the horizon. He raise his brow at her, both in a silent question and resignation.

 

“I couldn’t sleep.” She threw him the short curt explanation, and Jiyong sighed softly.

 

“Is it because of me?” He wrapped his arms around her waist hesitantly, startling her with his words.

 

“What? No! Why would you think that?” Taeyeon’s tone was incredulous as she half turned to face him. “It isn’t about you. I was just thinking about things. You know, my sisters. And also that mother of yours.” Jiyong nestled his nose into the crown of her hair.

 

“You don’t have to think so much for my Mother. She’s suffering well in my hands.”

 

“No..Its just that..”Taeyeon bit her lips gently. She wanted to find out about Jiyong’s heritage through the Queen Mother, which of course, she could never tell him… “I want to be able to do something to her too.” She confessed. “You know, to make her life worse for making both of us suffer.”

 

“Thats a sweet sentiment.” Jiyong chuckled lowly into her hair. “But one entirely unnecessary, my darling.” He patted her stomach slightly. “I’m sure my seeing me on the throne alive is a large enough punishment for her.” He laughed hollowly as Taeyeon shook her head angrily.

 

“Thats just ridiculous! How is that even a punishment when you’re the best there is?” She tilted her head up poutingly. “Don’t lie. Thats not much of a punishment.”

 

“Well, it is to her. After all, I’m the bastard son that she hates. Compared to Seunghyun, I am just a piece of dirt in her eyes, an unfortunate accident that happened when she offered her body in exchange of peace.” He gave a dry chuckle.” I bet Father was most displeased at the she made of him.”

 

“I’ve never heard of that.” Taeyeon murmured, digesting the new information he had given her with a contemplative sigh. “All I knew is that you were their bastard child. I assumed you were the king’s bastard son, since you were named a prince.” She tilted her head up slightly in his direction.

 

Jiyong chuckled wryly.

 

“Its a unglorious piece of history. How can it be leaked to the public that the king’s wife ed herself in exchange for safety and hence birthed a bastard son not of the king’s blood? There would have been a mutiny.” Taeyeon sighed softly.

 

“I'm sorry. I shouldn't have dug up these hurtful events.” Jiyong pressed a gentle kiss to her temple.

 

“It's not that big of a matter. After all, the only ones who know this side of history would be you, Mother and Dae Sung. All others that knew about this event were killed by my hand. If I had let anyone else who knew about this information lived, they would have been able to undermine my claim to the throne.” He cupped her face gently. “I trust you, that's why in telling you this, because I know you will never betray me.” Taeyeon smiled softly at Jiyong, nodding in assent, her thoughts whirling in a turmoil. She pulled back gently as Jiyong pressed a soft kiss to her lips, hoping for more.

 

“I have to go now. I did promise Seohyun that I'll be Going out shopping in the streets with her today.” She sent a silent apology to her sister mentally as she lied through her teeth. Jiyong frowned.

 

“Seohyun?”

 

““The thirteen year old.” Taeyeon reminded him gently. Jiyong nodded.

 

“Bring guards with you.” He instructed shortly.

 

“Ji, I'll be very safe. Yuri and Jess will be with me. As well as Tiffany. If you've heard that much stories outside about us, you would definitely know that my sisters are extremely capable protectors.”

 

“Yeah well, it's not that I don't trust them, it's just I'll feel a little better if some of my men did follow you.” He glanced at her narrowed eyes. “ At a distance, of course.” He added quickly, and Taeyeon relaxed.

 

“Fine.” She breathed. “Wait for me back here, alright my king?” Her skin crawled as she uttered those words, and her heart twisted as his face lit up with childish delight as she recognised him as her king. It wasn't that him being a king was that against her original visions of him, it was just...Taeyeon silenced her thoughts abruptly, tampering the guilt with difficulty as she left Jiyong’s arms.

 

Daesung shot her a dark and intense look as she exited the doors, and she exhaled resignedly as he grabbed her wrist roughly.

 

“What are you doing?” She hissed, fighting his tight grip. “Dae, you're hurting me!”

 

“Don't call me Dae.” He growled back. “I don't know what you've bewitched Jiyong with, since he's been calling you to his chambers---"

 

“I'm making him happier.” Taeyeon argued.

 

“Right.” Daesung snorted. “ Like you ever wanted to voluntarily share his bed.” Taeyeon cheeks flushed angrily. “You coming back to him isn't that simple, that much I know.” He pulled her dangerously close to his chest, eyes hard, teeth gritted. “Watch your back Kim Taeyeon. If I ever find anything of your doing that threatens Jiyong in any way, I will kill you.” Taeyeon glared back at Dae Sung. “Both you and your scheming sisters. Understand?” He freezes as a sharp point of a dagger dug into his neck, the cold blade drawing blood from his sharp edge.

 

“Let go of Her Majesty.” Taeyeon almost laughed with relief as Irene held the sharp point of her dagger to Daesung’s neck, eyes cold and hard. “Believe me, I'll slice your neck apart before can even move a muscle to harm Her Majesty.” Dae Sung glared back at Taeyeon, the veins in his temple throbbing.

 

“I knew you getting servants wasn't something as simple as needing an entourage. Training Assassins now, aren't you?” He hissed, eyes hateful as he glared at Irene. He released his grip on Taeyeon’s reddened wrists harshly, and Irene slipped the knife across his shoulders to the front of his neck slyly, freezing Daesung in his tracks.

 

“I can't have you going after her Majesty now, can't I?” The nineteen year old’s voice was cold.

 

Dae Sung laughed harshly.

 

“Who's your mentor? Let me guess, with that cold blooded temper---Jess.” He said mockingly at Taeyeon, who narrowed her eyes angrily at his taunt. “Jessica Kim, the well known ice princess of the Kim Family, who kills without batting an eyelid those that harm her loyal master Kim Taeyeon. Like master like dog isn't it?” He choked harshly as Irene yanked her hand harshly against his neck, cutting off his airways momentarily, before twisting his arm harshly behind his back and kneeing him in the chest so hard that he gasped for breath on the floor, badly winded.

 

“Leave him. Lets go.” Irene glanced up at Taeyeon, whose face was red with hidden fury.

 

“My lady, are you sure?” Taeyeon nodded harshly.

 

“We can't touch him now.”

 

She strode away with Irene hot on her heels, her fists clenching and unclenching beneath her sleeved. Jiyong mentioned that Daesung was the only other one that knew about his heritage apart from her.She'd still visit his bedridden mother, but meanwhile, she would have to think of a way to use Jiyong’s paranoia to get rid of Daesung. He was the only person standing in her quest for revenge for her family. Her heart dropped to her stomach, vague memories of her childhood of a young boy and three girls climbing trees and laughing like baboons, being friends slithering to the corners of her mind.

 

I'm so sorry Daesung. But for my survival and for my sisters, I'll have to sacrifice you.

 

~~~~~~

The dark dank room reminded Taeyeon of a badly kept moth infested cupboard. Apparently, she wasn't the only one who felt the room smelt like that---Tifanny gave a dry retching sound, and grumbled.

 

“You think they could have at least scented the room with some lavender or lemon grass.” Taeyeon hid a chuckle behind her lips. The prone figure on the bed before them wheezed pathetically.

 

“Go see if she’s able to talk.” Taeyeon murmured, and Tiffany huffed.

 

“A please would be terribly nice to hear.” Taeyeon grinned and stuck out her tongue.

 

“Please, Your Nomad Highness.” Tiffany slapped her shoulder slightly before striding forward, her face scrunched in a deep frown as she took a reading of the Queen Mother’s pulse.

 

“She dying.” The servants around immediately raised their voices, scurrying for the royal doctors. “Stop!” Tiffany barked. “It's not self inflicted. Taeyeon.” She turned to her sister, eyes urgent. “I need you to call Jiyong he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter