Lessons

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the girls had left her quarters, it was already late into the second day’s evening. Taeyeon simply reclined on her couch beside the window, eyes looking out to the castle walls, where Jiyong stood in the garden, holding hands with his young niece, Youngbae’s daughter. The little girl squealed as her uncle lifted her into the air, and Taeyeon’s eyes softened momentarily at the scene, before guilt assaulted her senses.

 

What was she smiling at this scene for? If it weren't for Jiyong, Seunghyun and her would have a little pair of feet running in the gardens all on its own.

 

But now?

 

Even that small dream was all but gone. Her fists clenched at the thought, chest aching as her smile vanished and she turned from the window.

 

Down in the gardens, Jiyong turned back to look at the window where he knew Taeyeon’s silhouette would appear in, all traces of glee and joy disappearing from his face as he did not see her linger at the frame. He dropped the child in his arms roughly to the ground, not caring if she landed on her feet or bottom.

 

“Go.” He turned to the child, speaking coldly.

 

“You haven't given me what you promised me, Uncle Ji!” The little girl retorted. “I'm not leaving until you pay me what you owe me for playing along with you for Aunt Taeyeon. It's not my fault she didn't fall for it.” Jiyong looked at the seven year old who crossed her arms defiantly, one foot tapping impatiently on the ground, hands on her waist.

 

“You're terribly insufferable, did you know that?” Jiyong tossed her the bills he had in his pocket,.and his niece scrambled to pick them from the ground. “Does Youngbae not give you allowance? Look at you, scrambling after mere bills like a pathetic mad dog.” The little girl glared up at him.

 

“Papa gives me allowance alright, but I want to save up for my future. And I'm not a dog! Don't you know how hard money us to come by?” The girl had her hands on her hips, chiding Jiyong angrily. “ There are lots of people suffering out there, of course you need to learn to save for my future!” Jiyong snorted at her words non committedly, waving her off with a simple wave of his hand.

 

“Go run along now, Chaeyin.” The little girl stomps her foot angrily at his blatant dismissal.

 

“I hope you never get Aunt Taeyeon’s heart!” She shouted after his back, running like the wind as he turned furiously at her words.

 

“My King. Princess Chaeyin is just being playful. As we all know, seven year olds don't really know what they're saying.” Dae Sung held him back abruptly from chasing the little girl in a fit of rage. “Let's not stoop to her level. Were you not on your way to see the Crown Princess?”

 

“No!” Jiyong snapped. “I'll see her in the night in my chambers. Tell them to get her ready.” Daesung sighed at Jiyong’s retreating back, sensing the roiling cloud of anger above his charge’s head.

 

“Send a message to the Crown Princess. She is to serve the king’s bed tonight.” He muttered lowly to one of the servants, who immediately bowed and ran in the direction of Taeyeon’s room.

 

Dae Sung sighed.

 

~~~~~~

“Your Majesty.” The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter