Jiyong's Chapter: Monsters and Demons [Pt 2]

The King's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm back!!!

When Jiyong finally returned from all the battles, it had been seven long years.

 

Seven years.

 

He was 17, and no longer the skinny but sturdy young boy that had left his heart and his capital behind. In place of the boy child that left now stood an imposing young man, hair as dark as night, countless scars littered all over his body from the battles he’d fought. His eyes were still onyx, but as dark as steel, cold and merciless, the eyes of a child who’d seen too much bloodshed and grew up in violence. His well cut jaw hardened slightly, and his men under him trembled. Prince Jiyong was no longer the despised Prince that had come to the borders to fight the enemy. Instead, his name was now well known for his cold hearted methods in battle, the ruthlessness he executed his subordinates with for insubordination.

 

Many blamed this change on the war, for how could a ten year old child in battle still remain as innocent and as clear as before? But those who knew of his life in the capital knew better. The war may have changed him and led him to display his bloodthirsty side, but the one that had cultivated such a heartless side was none other than his parents, the king and queen themselves.

 

“We’ve reached, my lord.” The carriage stopped, and the lanky but battle hardened man in the carriage straightened stubbornly, his eyes unfeeling as he gazed outside, hand on his scabbard--a habit he had brought with him from battle.

 

He stepped from the carriage, eyes sweeping carelessly across the town square. If it were not for Youngbae and Taeyeon, perhaps the Kwon Jiyong now would not have acceded to coming back. He was better off in the army than in the palace. At least there was no one willing to punish him there, and he could earn with all his battle merits.

 

“I’m here to see the king.” His voice was soft, but cold as ice, and the soldiers in front of the palace shivered instinctively.

 

“Please.” They bowed before the Second Prince and opened the gates.

 

Nothing much had changed in the palace, save for its people. New maidens and servants scurried across the grounds, and Jiyong looked up indifferently at the three seated above, his Father, Mother and brother Seunghyun. Years had taken its toil on the older two’s faces, while Seunghyun had matured as he had, with a softer and gentler look to his face. He was undeniably handsome, perhaps more handsome than Jiyong ever was, and his eyebrows raised in surprise as Jiyong entered the hall, his dark hair in a ponytail that fell to his waist, and a jagged scar on his battle hand.

 

“Jiyong?” His eyes had brightened, and Jiyong fought the urge not to grit his teeth and spit in his older brother’s face. The Seunghyun in his mind’s eye had always been spoiled and repulsive, and he didn’t expect that terrible attitude of his older brother to actually have any change.

 

“I’ve returned, Father.” He knelt to the king, whose face had turned into one of repulsion and anger. His eyes lifted hopefully to the Queen, only to fall in slight despair as her eyes stayed rooted on Seunghyun.

 

“What is all this cold blooded killing I hear of your doing in the front? Killing soldiers left and right?!” The old king growled lowly. Seunghyun started in his seat, obviously not expecting his Father to have immediately started scolding his brother.

 

“I killed them for insubordination, as well as being traitors to the crown. My sword was never swung for any selfish reasons or purpose.” Jiyong stated coldly. “If Father does suspect me of doing something wrong, why not check the records? I’m sure they would not have missed out the fact that the people I killed had been reporting our actions to the enemies.”

 

“You dare---”

 

“Father.” Seunghyun surprised him yet again by coldly interrupting. “Jiyong has done no wrong. I’ve checked the records myself, and saw to it that there were no discrepancies in why the men should have been beheaded. In fact, I think Jiyong made a commendable choice by killing them.” Jiyong’s eyes snapped to his older brother in utter surprise. This was probably the first time that Seunghyun had ever defended him. A flicker fell through his eyes, before being masked as indifference. But it was not he who reacted, the Queen gasped at Seunghyun’s words, chagrined at his defense of Jiyong.

 

“Seunghyun!” His older brother turned his head adamantly at her call.

 

“If there’s nothing left, Jiyong and I should be dismissed.” He stood proudly, walking out of the hall with Jiyong’s contemplative eyes on him. Jiyong turned to the stunned king and Queen, who he recognised were on the verge of exploding into a rage, bowing his head slightly and striding after Seunghyun.

 

“You didn’t need to do that for me.” He caught up with his brother, voice low. “That was unnecessary.”

 

“Eh.” Seunghyun shrugged, collapsing on the stone bench with a lopsided smile. “I missed you, Jiyong.” A cryptic smile crossed Jiyong’s face.

 

“More of you missed the times that I was there to take the blame, huh?” Seunghyun turned serious.

 

“Would you believe me if I apologised for my youthful...folly?” Jiyong barked a harsh laugh.

 

“Unfortunately, no.” Seunghyun’s eyebrows raised.

 

“So there’s no chance of us reconciling?” A odd smirk crossed Jiyong’s face.

 

“Not unless you stop bothering Taeyeon.” Seunghyun glanced at him, and grinned.

 

“Thats not possible. Mother has plans for that girl, as much as I’ve lost my liking for her.” Jiyong sighed himself, sitting on the bench opposite Seunghyun.

 

“How is she?”

 

“Stubborn, hot headed, powerful.” Seunghyun chuckled. “I tried keeping as much information about her under wraps.” He offered a small smile in Jiyong’s direction. “To make amends.” Jiyong frowned at his words.

 

“Well, what changed?” He saw a glimmer shine in Seunghyun’s eyes, the fading of his smile across his handsome face.

 

“Jiyong.” His ears perked up, hearing the serious tone in his brother’s voice. “Would you believe me if I said I didn’t want the crown anymore?” Jiyong’s eyebrow twitched. A part of him was tempted to say that he wouldn’t believe his brother, but the serious heavy tone in Seunghyun’s voice made him think twice. Silence ensued, and a fading smile crossed Seunghyun’s face.

 

“Father has been poorly, especially in his judgements, and Mother was made regent in my stead, since I was deemed too immatured and young. Did you know I sat through all the conferences and meetings the advisors held with the king and Queen?” He sat up, back straight. “Jiyong,” His voice was hollow. “Our parents are tyrants without a care, and the crown of legacy they will leave, its a heavy burden to bear.”

 

“Its not something you say you don’t want and you can throw it away, Hyung.” Jiyong said slowly.

 

“I want you to take my place.” Seunghyun’s next words shocked Jiyong to his core. “Jiyong, Youngbae definitely can’t take the pressure of those officials, and I’m just a puppet, held by strings by our Mother.” He said desperately. “I may hold the title Crown Prince,” He laughed bitterly, “ But I am in every way not a powerful and strong person to hold onto the throne.”

 

“So you’re asking me to take the trashy throne and clean it for you?” Jiyong grew angry at his brother’s words. “Who do you think I am? A person you can throw your unwanted food scraps to? I don’t want the throne. It disgusts me.”

 

“No, I’m telling you to take my place because I know that you’re strong!” He shouted at Jiyong’s retreating back, freezing his brother in his place. “All your exploits, all your loyal followers of fellow soldiers, you can easily overthrow this monarchy that has started crumbling from its foundations, and no one would be able to tell you what to do.”

 

“You’re asking me to do something that will make me an object of hate for generations!” Jiyong roared.

 

“I am asking you to do this for Taeyeon! For the citizens in this kingdom!” Seunghyun shouted back at him. “Jiyong, did you know what Mother proclaimed recently? Her seer,” He spat disdainfully, “ Declared that her blood was a rare pure species, that the kingdom would prosper without half breeds if she has an heir and with Father’s obsession with cleansing the kingdom of half breeds, he would either want to take Taeyeon as his concubine for himself, to produce an heir with the purest bloodline as prophesied, or,” He breathed, gazing into Jiyong’s slightly golden orbs with an intense gaze, “Or if I did not guess wrong, Mother proclaimed this prophecy with the purpose of making me marry her.” Jiyong’s fists clenched. “I swear, Jiyong, I would never want Taeyeon in my bed. I have another that I love. But if Mother has her way, Taeyeon and her family are in danger.” Jiyong’s eyes narrowed, scrutinizing him for any trace of lies.

 

His heart beat at the prospect of Taeyeon being in danger, but years of grudge made him doubt Seunghyun’s words.

 

“I will not fall for your tricks again.” He hissed lowly. “Taeyeon is perfectly fine in the capital, and she will be my wife. There is no such threat that you’ve been talking about!” He strode away angrily, flinging his sleeves out and making up his mind to meet Taeyeon immediately.

 

“Jiyong! You will regret this! All that I say is true! When it happens, don’t blame me for not trying to warn you!”

 

Months later, Jiyong would regret not listening to his brother, as he watched Seunghyun wed Taeyeon in a royal marriage ceremony, his face pale and wane as he gazed Jiyong’s direction, while their Mother sat in her throne with a pleased smile on her face.

 

~~~~~~

Everyone in the right mind scattered away from the storming Prince, who was angered. Cold radiated from him, and everyone close to him shivered as the temperature surrounding the Prince dropped drastically. His eyes were fuming, angry and hard. His boots clicked on the cobbled stones with purpose, heading towards the Kim Family Manor, when he suddenly stood stock still, struggling to rein in his temper. A funny kind of smile crossed his face.

 

“Looks okay?” He turned to the third Prince standing beside him. Youngbae raised his eyebrows.

 

“You look like someone just stepped on a puppy and gave it to you.” The youngest Prince folded his arms. “Nope.” Jiyong scowled at his brother's words, and His facial muscles trembled with the effort before a grimace lightened his face.

 

“Now you look like someone just stabbed you in the gut.” Youngbae paused before adding. “Or that someone just shoved a bunch of unicorns and rainbows in front of you.” A queer expression crossed Jiyong’s face at his brother's expression.

 

“What?” Youngbae stifled a grin.

 

“Maybe you should just wait till your temper has calmed down before seeing Taeyeon.”

 

“Absolutely not!” Seven years had turned the four year old he had left in the capital to a strapping young handsome man of eleven up to his chest, with a cute grin and shy smile. Jiyong eyes his brother carefully before sighing. “Fine.” He agreed grudgingly. “You’re right, as always.” He halfturned, and someone dressed in blue crashed headfirst into him. Both of them collapsed to the ground on their bottoms, Jiyong more stunned than hurt, while the other grabbed his head and rolled on the ground.

 

“That hurt! Why is your chest so hard?!” The man in blue was petite, and scowled at Jiyong, pointing a pale finger in his face. “Men aren't supposed to have such hard chests! They’re supposed to be the kind you like to lie on! You feel like a rock!” The male in front of him was pale, and had an adorable scowl across his face.

 

Jiyong’s eyebrow twitched at the other male’s words.

 

Hard chests? The kind you like to lie on?

 

“Hey~” His eyes strayed to Youngbae, who had a cheeky smile decorated on his face as he greeted like an old friend the other male sprawled on the ground.

 

“Youngbae?!” The other male in blue blinked, before his perfectly shaped eyes narrowed in Jiyong’s direction. “Is that one of your friends?” Youngbae tilted his head adorably and thought for a moment.

 

“Mhm. You could say so.”

 

“Could say so?” The blue clad male narrowed his eyes dangerously, and Jiyong felt an urge to defend his younger brother.

 

“Hey, you---”His voice turned icy cold, but Youngbae interrupted him, stepping in front of him in a hurried frenzy.

 

“Wait wait wait. Noona, you don’t recognise who he is?”

 

Noona?

 

Now it was Jiyong’s turn to be confused.

 

He turned slightly, and scrutinized the blue clad male with eagle like eyes. He was short, and petite, but his skin was so pale that he was quite sure if the sun was either bright enough, or if there had been fresh snow that had fallen that day, the male opposite him would have entirely disappeared, save for his eyebrows and bright light blue clothes, that had a silvery pattern that ran across the hem. He was too beautiful for a male, and attracted attention everywhere he went, especially those that of women, who admired his softly but well cut jaw and pink lips.

 

An alarming thought flashed through Jiyong’s head as he stared at the other male’s pink lips.

 

I wonder how it would be like to kiss his lips.

 

A splutter of indignation came from the blue clad male’s lips, and Youngbae looked at him amusedly.

 

“What?” He turned to his brother, confused.

 

“You said that out loud.” A pale pink flush coloured the other male’s cheeks. Jiyong groaned silently to himself.

 

Great.

 

“You utter disrespectful--”The blue clad male continued to splutter, and suddenly, Youngbae flashed forward, hand reaching for the blue clad male’s collar. The male yelped, instinctively stepping backwards, but not succeeding, as a pendant of sorts came away in Youngbae’s firm grip.

 

“Okay. I’m tired of you two not recognising each other.” He dangled the pendant in front of the two, and while the blue clad male turned pink and flustered, Jiyong merely stared at the oddly familiar pendant.

 

“Kwon Youngbae! You give my pendant back to me!”

 

The pendant had a black onyx stone hanging at its end, inscribed with a gold letter that caught Jiyong’s eye.

 

Yong.

 

Dragon.

 

His eyes widened.

 

“Taeyeon?!” He gasped, turning to look at the blue clad male with new eyes. The male’s eyes widened.

 

“Shhhh!” Jiyong’s eyes sparkled, then looked amusedly at the girl he had sworn to come back for. Being dressed as a male still failed to hide her radiant beauty from plain sight. In fact, she had grown even more beautiful, and Jiyong couldn’t help but to scrutinize her from head to toe, his eyes landing on her concealed chest, and slim hips. A sharp pain registered in his shin, and Jiyong yelped. She’d kicked him.

 

“My eyes are up here!” She pinched his side as Jiyong grinned. “What the hell are you grinning for?”

 

“Noona.” Jiyong heard Youngbae deadpan. “You still don’t recognise him even though he knew it was you from just looking at your pendant?” Taeyeon froze for a moment. The pendant had been given to her by Jiyong, and apart from her close friends, none knew that the pendant she wore at all times was a gift from Jiyong.

 

Her eyes widened.

 

She spluttered comically, turning towards the handsome dark haired male before her.

 

“J-jiyong?” Her cheeks coloured a delighted pink as her eyes brightened with his answering smile. He chuckled lowly as she threw herself into his arms happily, squealing like a five year old kid.

 

“Hey, angel.” Jiyong held his saving grace in his arms securely, gently patting her back. “I was just going to see you.” She hung onto him like a white koala bear, face almost splitting with the wide grin she had. “You know, people are going to think we're gay since you're hugging me like that. It didn't help that I wanted to kiss your lips earlier, and you're dressed as a male.” Jiyong chuckled. Taeyeon flushed, and all but ignored Jiyong’s words.

 

“Come! Father would be glad to see you!” Jiyong let himself be dragged resignedly by his favourite person in the world, towards the huge looming manor.

 

~~~~~

The Kim Manor had changed so much that Jiyong didn't really recognise it. Taeyeon now had two others sisters that trailed behind her like lost puppies, as well as a younger blood related sibling, who was named Hayeon, aged seven. The small baby he had held.in memory that Taeyeon had proudly shown him when Hayeon was born did not really coincide with the small but pretty little girl that clung to her sister's skirts, staring at him wide eyed. Always behind the small girl was Jessica's younger sister, Krystal, who had been tutored alongside the younger girl and treated like a daughter of the Kim Household. According to Taeyeon, Krystal was too young to remember her original f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter