Chapter 5 (The Ring)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gapyeong, August 18th

“So all this time you’ve been staying here with Seongwoo? In Gapyeong? Wow! You are really like a couple who are on honeymoon.”

Nayoung and Seongwoo stopped their conversation and turned their head to the door. Mimi stood leaning against the door, her face clearly annoyed at them.

“We just got here this morning.” Seongwoo stood up and pulled up a chair for Mimi. “Noona, are you alone?”

“With my driver, duh.” Mimi rolled her eyes.

Nayoung laughed at Mimi’s answer but stopped immediately as Mimi glaring at her intently.

“Where have you been these days?” She sullen, asked like a mother scolding her childs.

“At Hourglass,” Nayoung and Seongwoo answered simultaneously.

“Don’t lie to me!” Mimi sent another glare to the both of them.

“We didn’t going anywhere, Noona, we really spent days at the office. There are some changes for the Blues and we gotta finished our blueprint in Hourglass. You can ask Xiening, Sojin, Kyungwon, Woojin, and Jihoon.”

“They could have lied to me.” Mimi still looked annoyed.

“Aniyo, Unnie.” Nayoung grabbed Mimi’s hand and squeezed it. The gesture that she knows always manage to soften Mimi’s heart. “Forgive us for making you worried,” she said with a smile.

“I’m not worrying you. I’m upset.” Mimi pouted and Nayoung laughed because of that. Mimi never admit it whenever the older girl worried about them. She handed Mimi a glass of watermelon juice before calling the waitress to order their foods. Without asking anything, Nayoung ordered food for the three of them.

“What are you ordering? I do not want-”

“Korean food, Unnie. I wouldn't order food that will only make you throwing more tantrums here. You need a bowl of rice.” Nayoung checked her file for the last time before turning off her laptop.

“So? What are you doing here, Noona?”

“Looking for the both of you.”

“Us? Me too?” Seongwoo looks confused. “Are not you here just to see Naong? This troublemaker? Why me?”

“Why would I look for her only if I need the both of you?” Again, Nayoung laughed at Mimi’s response.

“I thought you were going to talk about her engagement with Dr. Kim. I mean, you know, girl’s talk.” Seongwoo laughed at Nayoung’s sudden change expression.

“I’m not interested at other people’s love life.” Mimi put out her tablet and looking for something with a serious expression.

“Based on your serious mode, I’m guessing you are here for work, unnie,” Nayoung focusing her attention to Mimi. She knows that Jung Mimi is not the type to travelling far away using car. To see Mimi even looked up to this place in Gapyeong is not a small thing Nayoung can’t ignore. “What do you want to talk about, Unnie?”

“Can I see the blueprints of The Blues?”

Hearing Mimi’s questions made Nayoung and Seongwoo’s eyes met. That’s a thing between The Ongs, their advantages to communicate without words. Something that Mimi never really understand until now.

“Too bad we can’t do that for you, Unnie.” Nayoung shook her head and smiled apologetically to the older girl.

“Even if I want to see it as an architect and not a business woman?” Mimi tried again.

“Me and Ong are architects and you’re also an architect. That’s not a problem. But this time we are not in the same project and we are in a different company. I can not betray my client for you, Unnie.”

“What if I offered you a deal?” Mimi smiled calmly. One response that made Nayoung and Seongwoo try hard to keep their expression from getting hooked on whatever Mimi said. After all, Mimi is their senior. Mimi also really knows how they work and, unfortunately, their weakness too. Knowing that, Nayoung and Seongwoo has to be so careful when dealing with Mimi.

“What kind of dealing are you offering, Noona?” Seongwoo asked her carefully.

“I will give you the freedom to use all the resources you need from my company. Without any limit.”

Nayoung and Seongwoo’s eyes met again. This time it’s Mimi who tried hard to control her expression.

“Too bad that’s not what we need right now.” Nayoung smiled.

“Then what?” Mimi frowned. “Tell me what you need?”

“Acropolis.”

Within seconds, the word that slid from Nayoung’s lips made a big change in Mimi’s face. Mimi shook her head and laughed as if what Nayoung said is funny.

“You guys really know how to make this dealing never happened.” Mimi sipped her drink with smile in her lips. “Now I know, The Blues are very valuable to you guys and this is interesting.”

 

***

 

Seoul, August 19th

“Are you going to see Heehyun?”

“Yep, I just arrived at the studio now.” Nayoung closed the car door and walked into the lobby. Her step stopped when she saw a group of reporters waiting near the escalator.

“Sh*t!” Nayoung cursed before turning around and walking away.

“Wae?”

“Reporters are waiting near escalator.” Nayoung chuckled.

“Are you alone?”

“Sojung and Nayoung will catch up after their work is done. I don’t know about the others. I think they still have work until tonight. “

“You’re not with Ong?”

“He had gone to LA yesterday. I’ll catch him tomorrow morning.” Nayoung turned toward the emergency stairs. There is no other choice considering the escalator is now filled with reporters.

“My friends are really busy. No wonder I did not see you guys name in the blood bank this year. “

“Stop mocking us. You know how sorry I am for no longer able to perform routine donor as I used to.”

Nayoung heard laughter on the other side.

“It’s okay. Even if you’re in Seoul, I’m not sure you can still donate your blood when you’re so tired and sleep deprived like this. Please take care of yourself.”

“I will.” Nayoung sounds so breathless when she climbed the stairs to the studio on the fifth floor.

“Yah, Kim Nayoung, you are breathless. When was the last time you exercised? Last year?”

Nayoung snorted. She’s aware of what just said is true. She hasn't had time to exercise for a long time and it made her weak. There was a moment of silence between them and Nayoung sped up the stairs.

“Nayoung-ah..”

“Yeah?”

“I will send foods to the studio. Make sure you finish it. I really take my time to make healthy food for you.”

“Whoooahhh.. Gomawo~ Han Haebin jjang!!” Nayoung laughed and sighed as her foot stepped on the fifth floor. She wiped the sweat on her forehead before opening the door. “I’ll call you later, Bin-ah.”

“Okay. I’ll go back on my shift. Give my regards to others. Bye.”

Nayoung put her phone in her pocket and open the door.

“Hey, Binnie.” Nayoung smiled as the studio door opened. Automatically moving her hands to hug the petite girl with the blonde short hair in front of her.

“Unnie, I know your body is bigger than me, but stop treating me like a kid. Yebin is the maknae, not me.”  Yebin hit Nayoung’s back that hugged her tightly.

“I know Yebin is maknae. You’re Yebin tho.” Nayoung took off her embrace and grinned at the irritated expression of the girl in front of her.

“I mean Kang Yebin, the silver hair Yebin. Not me, Baek Yebin.” Yebin pursed her lips with hands folded.

“Ahhhh cutie. Arraseo.” Nayoung played with Yebin cheeks and makes Yebin whining, annoyed at the older girl.

“Stop playing around, Kim. A lot of reporters downstairs and I don’t want you to create another scandal with Y2J member.” Nayoung turned and smiled at the sight of Heehyun appearing behind Yebin.

“Whassup, Buddy?!” Nayoung grinned as she waved her hand.

“Don’t buddy me.” Heehyun beckoned Nayoung to enter.

“Is she okay?” Nayoung whispered to Yebin.

“Definitely not. Do not joking around her, Unnie. Heehyun Unnie not in her good mood.” Yebin warned. “I’ll be back. Can you accompany Hyun Unnie inside?”

Nayoung nodded before following Heehyun who had already sat and watched the news on television.

“I don’t know whether to feel sad or thank you for your news which has become the headline and shifted all my news, Hyun.” Nayoung grinned as she sat beside Heehyun who looks annoyed at her.

“I’ll hate you for the rest of my life if you really feel grateful to me.” Heehyun tightly shut her jaw but her body slowly relaxed when Nayoung laughed and hugged her. She buried her face in Nayoung’s shoulder as Nayoung rubbed her back.

“I’m upset.” Heehyun tightened her arms without looking up.

“I know. That’s why I’m here.” Nayoung responded calmly.

Heehyun nodded as she hugged Nayoung back. She realized that it’s risky for Nayoung to go outside and come to the studio like this but she still did to meet Heehyun.

“Wanna tell me everything?” Nayoung asked softly and took her jacket off.

Heehyun puffed up her cheek and took a deep breath.

“I was writing and arranging songs with another songwriter for Y2J’s new album. I don’t know if in the end they brought the song to another group without my permission. They didn’t even put credit for my part. I got robbed.” Heehyun looked very annoyed. She clenched her fists until her knuckles turned white. Seeing that, Nayoung grabbed Heehyun’s hand and held it gently.

“You have a master dummy or anything about your song?”

“I worked on the project using his equipments. I was believe in him too much and didn’t instantly save it on my laptop.” Heehyun biting her lower lip realizing her stupid act.

Usually, Nayoung would have scolded Heehyun whenever her best friend doing something stupid. But this time she knows better not to makes Heehyun more upset and sad than she already is.

“Do you have something that could be an evidence that you had a part in that song?” Nayoung asked with her gaze fixed on the TV screen. Focused on the coverage of copyright infringement that involving Heehyun.

“I only have this.” Heehyun handed her some streaky paper and agenda she used to write. Nayoung opened the agenda and smiled at her best friend’s handwriting.

“This is the reason why I really like copying your assignments at school. Your writing has always been the neatest among the members of The Arc.” Nayoung grinned before returning the serious expression on her face. She pulled out her cell phone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter