Chapter 18 (Fratrem)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, November 2nd

Chaeyeon sighed. She lost count how many times she wishes to disappear tonight.

When they arrived at the airport earlier and was greeted by a smiley Krystal Jung, or Jung Soojung, and a quick side hug, Chaeyeon had already felt the tension in the air. Heehyun keeps offering polite smiles to her sister but the tense on her face was too evident while Krystal smiled back at her with a stare that colder than the North Pole. Chaeyeon saw Heehyun gulped a few times, and she actually felt bad for the Producer.

Before arriving at the airport, Chaeyeon and Heehyun had agreed that Krystal doesn’t need to know that their relationship is fake. Who knows what would happen to Heehyun if the oldest Jung knows what actually happened to them? That’s what Chaeyeon said, and Heehyun can’t suggest otherwise.

On their way back from the airport, Krystal said that she was hungry and craving for Korean foods. Having dinner was the latest thing Chaeyeon wanted right now, but there’s no way she could say that to her sister. Heehyun offered to go to the usual BBQ restaurant that she and Chaeyeon used to go when they were working on her case, and Krystal agreed right away.

They arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes ago. Chaeyeon glanced at the seat beside her. Heehyun must be so nervous, based on how tense her face is, while Krystal was enjoying her drink in front of them.

Chaeyeon released another sigh. What a great way to spend her weekend night.

“It’s been so long,” Krystal said with satisfied smile. “How many years since the last time I enjoy soju? 10 years? Feels good to be back.” She poured her cup again.

“Why are you coming back so suddenly, Unnie? Without notifying me,” Chaeyeon can’t help but ask.

“Well, my sister is in relationship with a famous producer without telling me. How can I not come back?”

Heehyun unconsciously held her breath when Krystal turned at her. She swears, those eyes would kill her anytime soon by now.

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes, not affected with the stare. “I’ve dated number of people before this and you never cared. Just be honest, Unnie, you are here for work, right? It makes more sense for me.”

“Your previous relationship was never exposed to public, Sis. This is the first time your personal stuff got to be publicized, do you really think I’m not worried about you?” Krystal turned at her. “And although you think that I don’t care, I know you always date the wrong person and got hurt in the end. Yes, I know about it all,” Krystal said, emphasizing every word to the rolled eyes Chaeyeon. “And I’m here to prevent it to happen again. I have to make sure you are with the right person now.”

“Have to? I’m all grown up, Unnie. I’m not a kid anymore.”

“Pouting at me isn’t the best way to proving that you are not a kid, Jung Chae.”

The bickering is adorable actually, and Heehyun would have enjoyed the sight of Chaeyeon pout like a kid to her sister… If she’s not too nervous and worried about her life. When Krystal looking back at her, Heehyun makes sure to keep smiling, but the cold aura around the older girl making her feels so small. When Krystal said she’s here to make sure Chaeyeon is with the right person, Heehyun knows she wasn’t joking. Heehyun wonders what could really happen to her if the older Jung knows about their relationship. She shivered.

“So, how did you meet with each other?” Krystal asked.

Heehyun hopes she could tone down the glare. How is she supposed to answer when those cold eyes are staring at her?!

“Quit the glare, Unnie. Heehyun Unnie can’t answer you if you keep glaring at her.”

Oh, Chaeyeon, her savior.

Krystal scoffed. “Can’t help it. Her scared face kinda funny to me, is that why you like her, Sis?” The glare subsided as Krystal now grinned at her. “I mean, yeah, I admit you are pretty, Heehyun-ssi.”

“Uh, thank you…?” Heehyun answered with a small voice.

“So, how did you guys meet?” Krystal repeated her question.

Chaeyeon groaned. “Unnie, are we really doing this right now?”

“I came here to do this, so, yes, we are doing this, Sis.”

It’s Chaeyeon’s turn to glare at her sister. Heehyun had bit her lips to prevent her face from smiling. Cute, she thought.

“Unnie, I’m sure you read our news. I don’t know how they did but almost every single info about us are out there, free to read by everyone,” Chaeyeon responded with her hands moving to prepare the cutlery for Krystal and Heehyun, not aware of Heehyun’s gaze on her.

“Yes, I know about you being her lawyer and the case too, but I want to hear it from you. Come on, we haven’t met for a long time, you must have a story for me, Chae.”

Yes, but not when Heehyun is also here with us, Unnie, Chaeyeon huffed. She glanced at Heehyun, who looks like a lost puppy in her seat, doesn’t know what to do. If she could, she would let Heehyun go home first. But Krystal was still staring at them and Chaeyeon knows she won’t let them go no matter what.

“Well... Do you remember Sejeong Unnie? She’s dating Nayoung Unnie, who is Heehyun Unnie’s friends,” she started.

But Krystal waved her hand. “I know that part.”

“So which part do you want to know? I told you everything is on the internet,” Chaeyeon groaned.

“Tell me what the Internet didn’t tell me,” Krystal pressed, and Chaeyeon looked at her sister as she grew another head.

Heehyun didn’t know what to do beside sitting still and doing nothing.

“Okay, okay, how about... Your very first meeting?” Krystal suggested.

“We met for the first time at Okinawa last July, I was there because Sejeong Unnie, Chungha Unnie, and Jieqiong invited me to go with them.”

“So, the news about you went to her hotel room is true?”

“Yes,” Chaeyeon said, but she saw the look from Krystal and exclaimed, “Wait! You misunderstood! I came to her room but─”

“You were in my room?”

Chaeyeon and Krystal turned at Heehyun, who stared back at them confusedly.

“Uh,” Heehyun cursed her stupid mouth. “I thought we met for the first time when you came to my studio when Minkyung couldn’t?”

“I was there at the Okinawa when you were sick because of the heat , Unnie. I came to bring the medicine for you from Sejeong Unnie and Jieqiong. I talked to Nayoung Unnie for a while before returned to my room. You were sleeping for the whole time so that’s why you didn’t know,” Chaeyeon explained patiently.

Heehyun’s eyes widened at the story. She really has no idea at all. “Wow, I don’t know.”

If Krystal wasn’t there with them, Chaeyeon might be couldn’t hold herself for not squealing at the confused face. Heehyun can be so cute sometime without trying.

Krystal coughed at them. “Then, how about... Your first kiss? Did you─”

“We are not talking about that, Unnie,” Chaeyeon cut sternly, while Heehyun was blushing hard beside her.

Krystal rolled eyes. “Fine, how about─”

“Can we eat now? I’m starving.”

Honestly, Chaeyeon has no appetite at all, but eating is better than let her sister questioning about their relationship.

Krystal shrugged and nodded, but Heehyun had a feeling she hasn’t given up with her ‘interrogation’. “Fine, I’m hungry too. Okay, Heehyun-ssi, what do you want to eat?”

“Eh, anything is fine with me─”

“Don’t be like that, order anything you want,” Krystal insisted. “It’s on me.”

Honestly, Heehyun lost her will for dinner after the very first glare Krystal threw at her, but she knows she can’t refuse the offer. Krystal might be smiling, but her eyes still are cold. She’s like an ice princess, or like a Death Angel who will take her life as soon as she dares to lay a finger on Chaeyeon.

Heehyun could only hope for Krystal to never know about the truth of their relationship,

“Uhm, how about samgyetang? You said you were tired and lack of sleep, right, uh, Soojung-ssi?”

Krystal’s lit up at the suggestion. “Good idea, I miss eating it.”

“But, Heehyun Unnie,” Chaeyeon cut in, “I had samgyetang yesterday. You brought it to me with the hangover soup, remember?”

Heehyun didn’t expect to see Chaeyeon pouting and also hearing she whined at her. “Oh, right… Well, you want the usual samgyeopsal then?” She asked, can’t stop the smile to across her face.

Chaeyeon nodded immediately with wide smile. The mention of her favorite food ignited a spark on her eyes and Heehyun chuckled at that.

For a second, everything felt normal between them, just like how they used be. But Heehyun stopped herself from thinking further. She has no right to think about it after what she did to Chaeyeon.

She called the ahjumma of the restaurant and ordered samgyetang and two portions of samgyeopsal.

 

***

 

The dinner went on peacefully. Enjoying the food, Krystal stopped asking about Heehyun and Chaeyeon’s relationship anymore and talked about other stuff instead. At least, Heehyun could enjoy the grilled meat now.

Everything was fine until Krystal mentioned a familiar name.

“Tell Yebin to takes time to meet me,” Krystal said. “I want to show the newest game to her and ask her opinion.”

“Yebin is busy preparing for her group comeback, Unnie, don’t you read the news? You are the one who wants to meet her so go and meet her instead of asking her to meet you,” Chaeyeon sneered, taking a bite of her meat and ignored Krystal’s rolled eyes at her.

“Fine, I’ll call her when the promotion ends. I don’t mind to meet her in her office if she’s too busy,” Krystal said. After taking a sip of her drink, she looked at Heehyun. “Yebinnie is under your agency, right? Can you tell me when Yebin would have spare time so I could meet her?”

Krystal seemed close with Yebin, even had a nickname for her. And Heehyun wasn’t really sure what to feel about that.

Again, Chaeyeon saved her from answering.

“Soojung Unnie, Heehyun Unnie is the producer, not a manager of Y2J.” Chaeyeon shook her head at Krystal’s question.

“It’s okay, I can ask the Y2J manager to let Yebin takes some time to meet you, Soojung-ssi,” Heehyun said with a thin smile, quietly wondering how close the two of them were that Krystal looked so eager to meet Yebin.

“Thank you,” Krystal smiled triumphantly. “Is Yebin currently in relationship?” She asked suddenly.

“No,” Chaeyeon answered quickly. “Yebin doesn’t have time to be bound in a love relationship. She’s too busy for that.”

“Yeah, she’s not like you who keep changing partners.”

“Unnie!”

Sometimes, Heehyun can see the similarities between the Jung sisters. If she wants to, Chaeyeon’s glare could be as scary as Krystal’s.

Krystal waved her hand, unbothered with the glare. She looked at Heehyun again.

“You know what, Heehyun-ssi, I used to think that Chaeyeon would date Yebin whenever I see them. These kids are inseparable since middle school. Yebin was the very first person I’d contact when Chaeyeon disappeared. Yebin also the only person Chaeyeon ever brought to go on vacation and meet me in San Francisco,” Krystal said before taking another bite of her chicken.

“Unnie, you have met my other friends too. You can be considered as a regular costumer at Mina’s café in Osaka. Some of your projects were also a joint project with S&P Corp.,” said Chaeyeon.

“Oh, right,” Krystal grinned. “I barely remember anyone because Yebin was the only one who spend time with me the most. She would visit and stay in my apartment every time she came to San Francisco, unlike your other friends.”

Heehyun just listened to them all along. Krystal seems so fond of Yebin and for some reason, the way Krystal telling how close they are and how long they know each other makes her uncomfortable. And she dislikes the feeling. Or the situation.

“I want to make Yebin and her group as the ambassador of the new game Snowflakes will launch,” Krystal blurted out suddenly.

Chaeyeon stared at her. “Wow, you never talked about work when you were on vacation before.”

“Who said I’m on vacation right now?” One of Krystal’s eyebrows raised. “I’m here for work, Chae. I will launch our latest game here next month and I need a brand ambassador for it.”

Chaeyeon put her chopsticks, staring at her sister in between shock and disbelief. “Unnie, I know you are upset because I didn’t tell you about my relationship with Heehyun Unnie, but that doesn’t mean you have to prank me like this.”

“What prank?” Krystal tilted her head, confused. “I’m really serious, I’m here for work.”

“You are not here… to check on me because of my dating news?”

At that, Krystal burst into laughter. “Yah! My life isn’t focus only around you, Little Jung! I was joking around when I asked about how you guys met earlier, sorry for that, Heehyun-ssi,” She grinned to Heehyun, “Yes, I’m worried about you but you’re an adult. You have your own life and I have mine. You’re responsible for your own life and I can’t help you every time you mess up things,” Krystal explained, pointing her chopstick to Chaeyeon. “I came to see you, but also for works, okay? Snowflakes is going to launch our newest game here and we are in the middle of preparing to open a new branch office in Seoul next year.”

Krystal continued eating and Chaeyeon knows her sister wasn’t joking.

She didn’t expect this, not prepare to see Krystal like this so suddenly. It’s not that she doesn’t like it but too many things happened lately and now… This? Chaeyeon suddenly felt headache. With small voice, she told Heehyun and Krystal that she needs to go to the restroom.

Heehyun noticed the pale face but Chaeyeon already left before she could ask anything. She could only hope she could ask Chaeyeon what’s wrong.

After Chaeyeon left, the atmosphere at the table felt awkward. Heehyun finished her portion of meat and wiped her lips with the napkin. She might be able to talk at length about work with Krystal, but she did it for Chaeyeon. She could stay calm the whole dinner because Chaeyeon was there. Now, not even five minutes Chaeyeon left, Heehyun already wanted to disappear.

“Don’t be awkward around me, Heehyun-ah,” Soojung said lightly. “It’s okay if I call you that, right?” She doesn’t has the scary death glare anymore with her, but it doesn’t make Heehyun feel less nervous.

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Heehyun smiled out of politely. She cleared and corrected her sitting position. “Actually, Chaeyeon never told me she has an older sister. I’m sorry if I don’t know anything about you.”

Soojung sighed, not really surprised at the statement. “I’m sure she rarely tells you about herself.”

Heehyun nodded.

“She’s so quiet like that. That’s why I still don’t understand how she became a lawyer, even until now,” said Krystal.

Heehyun chuckled at that. “Despite being quiet, she is good with her job.”

“Surprisingly, yes. I don’t understand too, but she can speaks so well on the court.” Krystal smiled proudly. Once in a while, she watched through the Internet how her younger sister does her job, and she always impressed at her. “So… You have been knowing her since July? Since that Producer stole your song, right?”

Heehyun nodded.

“How is she? Except being quiet.”

“She is always serious, we actually rarely talk outside the case.”

“And I’m sure that’s not the reason you like her?”

Heehyun gulped at that. Let’s hope her brain won’t make her saying something stupid in front of Krystal. “She’s always so serious and composed in everything she did, but at the same time, she’s so caring too. I don’t know how she did it, but whenever I feel stressed because of the case, she just held my hand and... It helped.” Heehyun smiled. When she realized what she just said, she could feel her cheeks heating up.

Wait, what did I just say? Heehyun blinked. Why does it sound like as if I like Chae-

Krystal’s chuckles stopped her mind. She put her chopsticks on the table and stared at Heehyun. “Heehyun-ah, can you do a favor for me?”

The sudden mood surprised Heehyun. “Y-yeah?”

“As you can see, it looks like me and Chaeyeon just bickering here and there… We aren’t exactly sibling by blood, we live separately for years, only a few people knows about our relationship but really – I love her like my real sister,” Krystal said so seriously and sincerely. “She might be looks mature and can take care of herself and everything, but she’s still my precious little sister and I will always worried about her… That’s why, can you take care of her for me?”

 

***

 

Seoul, November 3rd

Doyeon opened her eyes when she heard a knock on the door. She blinked a few times before groaning when she felt pain in her head. She curled up, not intending to answer the endless knock. She keeps her eyes shut, glad at the sound of the rain tha blurred the knocking outside. Doyeon tried to fall back asleep but her head felt throbbing pain. She sighed deeply for what had happened the night before. Unconsciously, her jaw hardened when she remembered what she found at Hong Kong.

She re the same day, in the afternoon more precisely. Accompanied by Lucas who was worried about her condition, both of them headed to their basecamp to meet The Park. After giving what she found to the hackers, Doyeon went straight to her private room to shut herself up. She did not know how long she was in the room. All she remembered was letting out all her emotions to her belongings in the room before finally falling asleep due to alcohol and fatigue.

“Doyeon-ah, please, open the door. You haven’t eaten since yesterday. I made soup for you, hmm? Open the door, please.”

Doyeon sighed deeply at Yoojung’s voice. The girl must have been worried because she didn’t return to their apartment either. Doyeon slowly lifted her body. She groaned again as her body felt stiff and sore, the result of falling asleep on the sofa without pillows and blankets. She lazily grabbed her phone and shook her head, it was already past 9:00 AM.

For a moment her gaze circled around. Beer cans scattered on the table. A photo frame laid down haphazardly on the floor, half-destroyed after she let out her tantrum to the object.

Without wanting to tidy up the room, Doyeon dragged her steps towards the door. She opened the door and found Yoojung standing before her with her hand carrying a paper bag. For a moment Doyeon could catch the shock on Yoojung’s face as their gazes met, but the tiny girl quickly took control and stood on tiptoe kissing Doyeon’s cheek.

“Good morning!” She said with an eye smile on her face.

“Good morning to you too...” Doyeon grabbed Yoojung into her arms. “I miss you…” She almost whispered.

“I miss you too, my Dodo,” Yoojung gently rubbed Doyeon’s back before grabbing the girl’s hand to go inside and- “OH MY GOD!”

Yoojung can’t hide her surprise at the view in front of her. The usually v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter