Chapter 17 (Dawn)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N

More than 8k words. Sigh. is it impossible for us to write a chapter with only 2-3k words? haha

Hope you enjoy it ^^

.

.

.

Hong Kong, November 2nd

A tall, young woman slowly stepped out of the VVIP door of Hong Kong International Airport. One hand keeping the hat in her head while the other one searching for her phone from the leather jacket she was wearing. She walked to the closest corner and quickly typing a message to someone, the scarf she was wearing covered half of her beautiful face. A message popped up on her phone, and she looked around. Twenty meters from her place, she spotted a young man walking towards her while waving his hand enthusiastically. It didn’t take long for him to reach her place with his wide steps.

“My buddy, Evangeline Kim! Long time no see!” His sturdy arm quickly wrapped in Doyeon’s neck, knocking the wind out of Doyeon. “Welcome to Hong Kong!” The man exclaimed a bit loud, making Doyeon covered his mouth with her palm.

“Yah! It’s almost dawn here, why are you shouting?!” Doyeon hissed. “I told you not to make a scene!”

“Who cares? I miss you, Stupid!” The man laughed as he ruffled Doyeon’s hair.

Doyeon groaned at the act. “Wong Yukhei, stop! Yah!” She tried to push the young man but finally gave up when she realized she couldn’t take his arms off. “I’ll kill you if any media noticed my presence here. The last time you said I’m safe with you ended up with a rumor of me breaking up with Yoojung because they saw me with you at Antibes.” She looked around worriedly, making sure there is no paparazzi around them as they left the airport building.

Lucas laughed as he pulled off from Doyeon. He remembered the rumor, and he admitted it was really his fault. He should have been careful and not meeting Doyeon without his bodyguard around. If Yoojung didn’t know him personally and had no idea of their meeting beforehand, Doyeon and Yoojung could have been break up for real.

“Don’t worry, I learned my lesson. I assure you my bodyguards are guarding us within 100 meters so you are safe from any media,” Lucas said with a grin. He tapped Doyeon on the back, hinting her to follow him to his car. “As I promised, I won’t use a flashy and fancy car. Just him,” he said proudly.

Doyeon sighed when she saw an Alfa Romeo 8c 2022 parked at the end of the hallway.

“If this is a non-fancy standard for you, I wonder what kind of stuff would be on your fancy and stand-out list,” she rolled eyes as Lucas pulled out the car key and opened the passenger door for her.

“You,” Lucas wiggled his eyebrows playfully as he sat beside Doyeon on the driver seat, “You are the most stand-out thing in my eyes.”

“Your pick-up line is so lame I’m not even impressed.”

“I’m not joking!” Lucas said while starting the engine. Slowly they left the airport behind them. “Hiding my car is so much easier than hiding your arrival at Hong Kong only to sneak into your own office.”

Doyeon rolled eyes. Why did she even trust this ‘mission’ to Lucas, the icon of the troublemaker in their circle?

“Also, The Parks had explained what you want. They are on standby position to access and open any door you want, and I already made sure everything is safe enough for you to sneak in. But in one condition...” he paused, making Doyeon stared at him confusedly. “...I’ll go inside with you.”

Doyeon was surprised to hear that. She opened to protest, but Lucas already had his finger pointed at Doyeon. “No protest. I’ll go with you or The Parks won’t help you and tell the other Arda Fravas.”

Doyeon groaned, “Yah! You teamed up with them!”

“Yes, we are,” Lucas nodded, “And you should understand that we are worried about you.” Still focusing on the road in the front of them, he reached out to shuffle Doyeon’s hair softly. “Your father is considered as the tycoon in the industry. You should know by now how powerful your family is. Even as his daughter, you can’t easily mess up with his company.”

Doyeon didn’t say anything, because everything Lucas said is true.

“You can’t touch Orion if you still working in the hospital and only go to Orion as your part-time job to help your sister. If something went wrong with our mission now, you’ll need me as an excuse, am I right?”

“What do you mean?”

“Orion and Neo Technology are currently working on a joint project to build an amusement park. And because I’m the project leader as my father ordered me to, it won’t be strange if you meet me here. If anyone caught us, we could tell them we are meeting to discuss our project.”

“I’ve heard about the amusement park project but I didn’t know who our partner will be, and I didn’t expect you, of all people,” Doyeon said amusedly, thinking about her luck. “I think Aboji is planning to tell us on the Commissioner meeting next week.”

“I know you love your job as psychiatrist so much, but let me be honest, I want you to be my partner for this project. Imagine the fun if we work together,” Lucas continued with a big grin plastered on his face. “Alright, back to this mission… I don’t know why you want to sneak in quietly to your own office. It is your own office.”

Doyeon shook her head. “The branch office in here isn’t really my office, it belongs to my oldest Unnie… I need to find something about her here and I don’t want Aboji to know I came.”

“Now, this is getting interesting,” Lucas wondered. He knows about Doyeon has been searching for her Unnie for the past years. “And probably dangerous, yeah.”

Doyeon agreed.

They drove in silence for a while before Lucas decided to speak, “Eve, have you considered to get into Orion management fully?”

The tall girl stayed silent at that.

Seeing Doyeon didn’t say anything, Lucas continued, “If the things you look for are hidden inside Orion that you have to sneak in quietly like this, I think it will be easier for you to find it if you are directly involved in the management. That way, you can get access to anywhere you want. Being the daughter of the owner of Orion, owning the branch office in Japan, and often replacing Nayoung Noona in many important meetings, it is still not enough.”

Doyeon turned her gaze to the night view of Hong Kong outside their car, but the beautiful city unable to improve her sudden gloomy mood. What Lucas just said is the very same idea that she has been thinking for the past months. She didn’t like it at all, but after Nayoung’s incident, Doyeon had decided. She is planning to announce it at the meeting next week.

Even if she had decided, her heart still against it. She never wants it. Doyeon could only hope she’s won’t regret her decision.

“Maybe what you said will happen sooner than you expected,” she muttered softly.

“Huh?” Lucas turned to look at the girl next to his, “What did you say?”

But before Doyeon could explain, Lucas’s phone rang. He pressed the speaker to answer.

“Mr. Wong, I don’t think you can enter Orion now.”

Lucas and Doyeon looked at each other.

“What happened?” He asked, his voice turned serious.

“We saw some people just arrived and guarded the back door.”

“What do you mean?” Lucas asked again, asking for more explanation.

Beside him, Doyeon leaned over and signaled Lucas to pull over the car.

“Hey, just stay where you are and watch them. Tell us if they make a move,” Doyeon said to the phone. She took out her phone and quickly texting Soyeon to check the CCTV of Orion’s back door, where she was originally planning to enter the building.

Beside her, Lucas was grinning at the appearance of serious-Doyeon.

“You brought your laptop?” Doyeon asked.

Lucas nodded and pressed a button on the steering wheel. Soon a laptop appeared from the secret drawer in the dashboard in front of Doyeon. Doyeon the laptop, typing something on it, and then a live-streaming from CCTV video of Orion’s rear gate from Soyeon appeared on the screen. Lucas leaned over to watch it with Doyeon.

In the midst of the dim light, they can see several well-built men guarding around the gate. Not long after, two cars approached and stopped not far from the crowd of men. For a moment, there was no movement until the driver and passenger door opened and three people came out from the car.

“Zhang Yixing? Chrystal Jung? Key Kim?” Lucas muttered in surprise.

“You know them?” Doyeon raised an eyebrow. “I only know Zhang Yixing.”

“Zhang Yixing has mastered the property industry here, Chrystal Jung is a CEO of software and gaming company in San Francisco and Key Kim... Wow, they know each other? I’m surprised.”

“Huh?”

“Key Kim is a businessman in jewelry industry, designer, and collector. Weird, don’t you think their business isn’t related to each other? Why are they together?” Lucas frowned.

“Who knows? They could be a friend or something. And your question should be: what are they doing there?”

They stared at the screen as Key Kim seen walking towards the passenger door of one of the cars and bent down as the window opened.

“Looks like there are still more people on their cars,” Doyeon said. Before she could see who the person Key Kim was talking to, her phone buzzed in her pocket. She tore her gaze from the laptop screen to check it and smiled at the message from her girlfriend.

Beside her, Lucas gasped quietly.

“Doyeon-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“Isn’t that… Your sister?”

 

***

 

Seoul, November 2nd

“Mimi?” Hana groaned when the side next to her in the bed was empty. She didn’t want to open her eyes yet and want to continue cuddle with Mimi but the other girl wasn’t here.

“Jung Mimi…” she called her again with a raspy voice, sleepiness still lingered on her.

No answer from her lover makes her let out another groan.

Hana pulled her blanket making it covered her body to her neck. The room was unusually cold and the sound of rain outside their window making Hana wanted to continue her sleep. Mimi was supposed to be next to her and hug her so she wouldn’t feel cold like this. She tried to call her again.

“Yah, Jung Mimi…”

“I’m here, I’m here,” said a familiar voice and hands suddenly was around her. “I’m sorry for leaving. Go back to sleep, Bora.”

Hana sighed as she felt Mimi pulled her into a hug. She pressed herself against Mimi and buried her face in the curve of Mimi’s neck with hands tightly wrapped around Mimi’s body.

“Don’t go,” Hana muttered without opening her eyes.

“I’m not, and I won’t. I left earlier only to answer the call from one of my investors. I don’t want to disturb your sleep.”

Mimi looked down to kiss Hana’s forehead. She gently rubbed the girl’s head, helping her to get back to sleep. Guilt hung over her when she recalled how Hana started to change since Mimi joined the Blues project. Hana might try to act normal, but Mimi noticed everything about her, even the slightest change. Since that day, Hana rarely could sleep well if Mimi wasn’t there to hold her. Mimi was the first thing she looked for when she woke up. Hana wasn’t usually like that and Mimi knew, she was the reason why her fiancé became like this.

“Last night you came home very late,” Mimi said softly. “I don’t want you to go to the hospital today. This weekend, you’re mine, Shin Bora.”

Hana chuckled and nodded her head obediently, still hugging Mimi closely. 

“I’m hungry… Can you cook me something?”

The request makes Mimi laughs. It is rare to see Shin Bora acting cute for her, and the adorable pout on her fiancée’s face only making Mimi’s smile wider.

“Okay, continue your sleep while I make breakfast,” Mimi stole a kiss from Hana’s lips before hugging back the girl.

She felt Hana nodded on her neck. “Don’t go before I fall asleep.”

 

***

 

The second time Hana woke up, the aroma of her favorite coffee entered the room from the door that she knows Mimi let open. She hugged one of the pillows around her and smiled when she smelled Mimi’s scents on it. Still hugging the pillow, she changed her position to sit and leaned on the headboard while checking on her phone. After replying to several important messages, she reached for her kimono and walked to the bathroom.

Less than half an hour, Hana came out of the bathroom with an oversized t-shirt and pants. She stepped into the pantry and smiled seeing Mimi who was busy with her cooking equipment. Hana walked closer and grabbed her coffee mug on the table and sipping it slowly.

Hearing the familiar footsteps, Mimi turned her face to smile at Hana.

“I thought I have to kiss you to wake you up,” she said before facing back the omelet on the pan.

Slowly, Hana put her mug back to the table and approached Mimi. She slipped both hands and hugged Mimi from behind, smiled as the familiar scent from Mimi invaded her nose. The scent of comfort and soothing. Mimi’s scent.

“You can save your kiss for later, hmm,” Hana whispered in Mimi’s ear and gave a kiss on her cheek. She smiled victoriously when Mimi turned and tried to kiss her but Hana moved faster by keeping her face away from Mimi and removing her arms.

“Why are you such a tease, Shin Bora?” Mimi whined. Too cute for her to resist, Hana leaned over to steal a quick kiss on the girl’s lips before leaving her to prepare the plates.

 “You owe me a lot of kisses, Bora-ya,” Mimi whined again while putting the food on the table, once again managed to make Hana laugh amusedly.

“I’ll make sure to pay it after breakfast, Babe.”

“Sounds good.” Mimi grinned while putting a plate in front of Hana before filling it with the food.

“Wow, American’s style? This is new,” Hana said excitedly. They went silent to pray before eating. Hana reached for her fork and started eating.

“Yummy~,” she said in between the chews, making Mimi laughs.

“Yah, eat slowly, you are gonna choke,” Mimi said as she wiped the corner of Hana’s lips. They continued their breakfast with more of Hana eating happily and Mimi watched her fondly.

Hana gulped her last bite and drink her coffee before standing up from her chair to walk to the fridge and grabbed her favorite ice cream. “So, what do you want to do today?”

“Anything you want to do,” Mimi said with a smile, loving how Hana enjoyed her ice cream like a kid.

“Really?” Hana raised a brow, surprised at the blunt answer because Mimi rarely gave her a romantic answer like that. “No meeting with anyone? No document to be sorted out?”

“Luckily, or lucky you, I’m free for this weekend,” Mimi explained. She realized she has been too busy with her works, even on the weekend.

“You have too many projects, I’m not surprised anymore seeing you work in Sunday too,” said Hana.

Hana spoke calmly and Mimi knows there’s nothing bad behind her line but Mimi also understands that she has a new project now, she won’t be enjoying weekends for some times with Hana.

“I asked my old team to help me handling The Arrows projects. Let me guess, Hongbin had told you already, right?” She held Hana’s hand softly. “Sorry, I made them to not being on your side anymore now.”

“Them? Who?”

“Hongbin and Naong, of course.”

Hana sighed, realizing Mimi knew the people around her well.

“Have you met Nayoung yet?”

Mimi shook her head. “No, I don’t know how to face her outside of the work. She probably thinks I was betraying her. I need time to ready myself before explaining myself when I meet her later.”

“I know you have your own reason to go back doing a project again and I’ll try to trust your decision. I’m sure you are doing this to help Nayoung,” Hana squeezed Mimi’s hand on the table. “Is it because you are still curious with the accident – your accident?” she added cautiously.

Mimi shook her head. “No, I assure you that’s not the main reason, Bora-ya. I don’t care about it anymore.” She looked at Hana with lips tightly closed, not sure to continue her words to convincing Hana or more to convince herself. But Hana’s silence makes Mimi take a deep breath. “Okay, I admit I'm still curious about my accident but right now it's not important. Nayoung’s safety is my priority for now.”

“…Only Nayoung?”

Mimi saw Hana’s eyebrows raised questioningly at her.

She coughed. Hana will never be jealous over Nayoung but it didn’t change the fact that Mimi was with Nayoung in the past. “It is one of my priorities. You know I only love you, Bora-ya,” she added with a cheeky smile, hoping it would lessen the sudden cold aura around Hana.

Hana stared at her with an oddly disapproving look and Mimi was about to coax her when the surgeon opened . “You and I are worried about Nayoung, yes, but your safety is important too, Mimi-ya.”

Hana was speaking softly and Mimi understands she wasn’t worried about her past with Nayoung.

“Yes, Ma’am. I promise I will be careful with everything related to The Blues,” Mimi made a salute move with her hand and smiled in satisfaction as Hana’s gaze softened at her.

“So, you joined the project to protect Nayoung?”

“More or less. I can’t help it after what happened to Nayoung and seeing Yoona Unnie joined as the consultant for the Government… Everyone who close to me suddenly got involved on this project and I’m worried.”

“Well… Im Yoona isn’t really your close friend if she disappeared from you for 10 years after your Unnie’s funeral,” Hana said.

Mimi nodded, agreeing to Hana’s words.

“Yesterday I met her in her office,” Mimi said, surprising Hana. “Because I want to know about Spring Artwork Consultant. Yoona Unnie is the Vice President so I thought I want to meet their President Director.”

“That’s a surprisingly spontaneous act, coming from you,” Hana frowned. Jung Mimi rarely does that.

“I thought I need to know whom I working with because I barely have information about Spring Artwork Consultant,” Mimi explained. “You see at the meeting with the Government, Choi Minho and Bae Joohyun were there with Yoona Unnie. They’re members of THE ONE, one of the powerful lines in the industry right now… To see them with Yoona Unnie, it makes me curious who would be the President of Spring Artwork Consultant? Because whoever they are, the leader must be so powerful.”

Hana understood where this is going. “So… you thought she is their leader?”

“That’s exactly what I thought, yeah,” but then Mimi sighed. “But I was wrong… Sometimes I doubt my own memory.”

Hana straightened up on her seat. As she recalled, a year after the accident, Mimi’s last check-up showed that her condition was fine.

“Are you okay?” She asked worriedly.

“I’m okay, it’s not about that,” Mimi assured her, knowing what makes Hana worried. “But I keep having this feeling that I forgot something important. It’s frustrating me.” She closed her eyes for a moment. “Actually, I don’t know if I’m really forgetting something or it’s my feeling playing with me… But the existence of Spring Artwork Consulting is making me uncomfortable. There’s something off here.”

“What makes you feel uncomfortable?”

“Their leader. The President Director.”

“You met the President Director?”

Mimi nodded. “Summer Choi, or Choi Sooyoung. A nice person and friendly too, but at the same time, there’s something about her that intimidating. Her gaze and smile are gentle but also kept a lot of meaning behind it and I can’t read her. Whenever I meet my b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter