Chapter 4 (Rationalize)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, August 16th

“Yah, Kang Daniel, can you do something for me?” The door opened roughly, startling the three person inside the room. They stopped their activities and looked up to see the new person who just barged in the room.

“Yo, cousin, calm down.” One of them got up but the new person just raised her hand.

“Seokwoo-ya, stay in your place. I haven’t sleep since last night and I’m not in a good mood for joking around.”

“Okay.” Rowoon raised his hand and let his cousin approach Daniel’s table in the corner. Trying to hold back his smile at the unusual behavior. Kim Sejeong known as easy going person with calm personality. Seeing her like this makes Rowoon worry and, oddly, interested.

“Hi, Babe. Long time no see. I thought you had forgotten where our basecamp was,” Daniel smiled as the girl stopped in front of his desk.

“Do you know her? Tell me everything you know about her.” Sejeong handed some photos that Daniel received with one eyebrow raised.

Daniel cocked his head as he saw the girl in the photo.

“You want me to investigate your fiancée?”

“Ya! She’s not my fiancée!“

“Soon-to-be your fiancée, Sejeongie.” Sojin grabbed the photos in Daniel’s hand and smiled. “What’s wrong? She’s beautiful tho. Exactly your type, Kim,” she said with a teasing smile.

“Beautiful is understatement! y. Hot. Look at her eyes. So intense. Elegant. Tall figure with small face, sharp nose and her lips so kissable. She’s ideal. Charmer. A full packaged! Is she a Noona? Or dongsaeng?” Rowoon arise between them, staring at the photos which is now at his hand.

“She’s Noona, you Babo. Don’t pretend you didn’t know her.” Daniel laughed at the question.

“Kim Seokwoo. Go back to your place.”

The warning voice made Rowoon grinned and handed the photos back to Sejeong’s hand, but of course he had to continue teasing the latter.

“I saw the news about you. Your photos are really romantic. Didn’t you spend the night with her, Sister?” This time Rowoon really takes over Sejeong’s patience.

“Ya! You-”

“She’s Ongie’s twins.” Daniel’s words rescued Rowoon from Sejeong’s attack who focusing back on him.

“What? She has a twin?” Sejeong leaned toward Daniel.

“This is the result when you spend too much time in the operating room. Sometimes you have to hangout with us.” Daniel ruffled Sejeong’s hair and beckoned Sejeong to follow him to the couch in the center of the room.

“So you know her?” Sejeong followed Daniel’s steps and sat next to her best friend.

“They often hang out together.” Sojin sat on one of the couch while typing on her laptop. Apparently not interested in the conversation and back to her work.

“You know her?” Now Sejeong asked Sojin.

“In this room only you don’t know her.” Sejeong stared intently at Rowoon who answered the question with a grin.

“So, you know her?” Sejeong looked back at Sojin and repeated her question.

Sojin nodded.

“You don’t like going to party and you rarely hangout with them,” Sejeong asked Sojin again as she pointed to Rowoon and Daniel. “How can you know her?”

It’s more like Sejeong didn’t want to admit that Sojin who she always thought more nerd than her, turned out to know her soon-to-be fiancée.

“I’m involved in several projects with Nayoung Unnie and Ong Oppa.” Sojin looked at Sejeong with an expression as if to say ‘did you forget what my job is?’

“Who’s Ong Oppa? Her twins? She has a twin?” Sejeong started with her interrogation. “Then why do you have project with them? You’re an architect and-”

“Sejeong-ah, do you know what your fiancée’s job is?” Sojin interrupted with a look that Sejeong can’t understand.

“Hmmm.. Entrepreneur? Socialite? Mmm.. Maybe just a daughter from Appa’s business associate?” Sejeong asked back with an innocent expression and made the other three in the room simultaneously smacked their foreheads. They stared at each other before Daniel finally cleared his throat and looked at Sejeong.

“Have you ever heard anything about Hourglass? The Hourglass?” Daniel started with a question that made Sejeong frown.

“I think I’ve heard it but I’m not interested in finding out.”

“Hourglass is a start-up company that holding The Blues Project, owned by the Ong Twins. Ong Seungwoo and Ellena Kim, or Kim Nayoung, are CEO of Hourglass. Yes, your fiancée is a CEO of Hourglass. She is an architect and Sojin’s colleague.“

“Technically, they’re my boss,” Sojin answered flatly.

“Really? I don’t know if she’s an architect. I thought she was a businesswoman, considering Appa’s ideal type. Besides, are not they too young to handle a project like The Blues? Even I had heard The Blues is a project by the Government that almost impossible to do. A very big and difficult project.”

Sojin smiled at Sejeong’s words.

“You’re thinking too low about them, Dear. They are called The Avangers for a reasons. Never underestimate the Ong Twins when they work. They’ve often getting called not only from the locals but also from overseas property businessman. They’ve achieved many awards that they get individually and on behalf of Hourglass. They even completed social project and received an award in the early year,” Sojin tried to give an explanation.

“Why do you guys keep saying Ong Twins if they’re not twins?” Sejeong’s question again made the three of them sigh. It will be a long conversation.

“They are known as Ong Twins since high school. Before they became known as architects, they were performers and always paired up in every performance. You may not know them because you spent your school years abroad. But if you’re curious you can see their performances under the name of The Arc. They’re all rounder. DJs. Singers. Dancers. Rappers. Partygoers who’s hiding behind a mask of nerd. Dangerous yet interesting.”

Daniel handed out his tablet for Sejeong.

“After graduated from high school, The Arc disbanded and they pursued their dreams in different ways. Ongs went to the same college and even same department. After they graduated, they involved in several important projects before decided to set up their own company and establishing Hourglass. But at that time they were doing more projects abroad. They just got back to Seoul last year.”

“How did you get to know a lot about them? Are you her ex?” Sejeong looked at him suspiciously.

Daniel laughed at Sejeong’s question.

“I’m not her type.” Daniel shook his head. “We graduated from the same college. While still in Cali, I was close to Ong Hyung and all I knew is where there’s Ong Hyung, there’s also Ellena Kim. They’re almost inseparable. Both of them and Catherine Ki known as The Three Musketeers in our circle.”

“If they are so close, why aren’t they dating each other? Why did Ellena Kim agree with this engagement?” Sejeong asked softly. “If I were her, I definitely will choose a safe way to be engaged with my best friend. After all, hearing how they never parted since school days, I think they’re compatible for each other.“

“They’re perfect for each other. Mutually complementary but I don’t think it is suitable to be a couple to marry.” Daniel laughed at Sejeong’s expression. “Are you going to choose to marry me? We’ve been together since toddler. We rarely quarrel and are inseparable since-”

“Do you want a punch?” Sejeong raised her fist.

“Well.” Daniel shook his head. “Then you should not have issued such a statement. Because I didn’t intend to marry you either, Kim Sejeong.”

“Then what do you know about her?”

“Ellena Kim spent her childhood in Seoul before choosing to continue her studies at UCLA. She’s the only child of the second wife. Have an older and younger paternal sibling from different stepmother. Her father married four times and didn’t live in Seoul. I think that’s one of the reasons she doesn’t have a good relationship with her father.”

“What about her biological mother?”

“Her mother died in a car accident when Nayoung Noona was four years old,” Sejeong looked surprised to hear that, “and after that she was raised by her stepmother, her father’s third wife. Maybe that’s the reason why she and her younger sister are so close. Her relationship with the stepmother was very good. Her stepmother really loves her. But her father and the stepmother divorced ten years ago. Two years later her father remarried but has no offspring from his fourth wife.”

Sejeong all speechless at Daniel’s story. That was a very long and complicated of family history.

“Technically, only her biological mother who never divorced her father and legally it made Ellena Kim owns the biggest legacy share than her two paternal siblings. I don’t know about her relationship with her unnie, because I never saw them together. But I know her sister is married and now lives in Europe. I don’t know which country of Europe but I think you’ll easily find out on the internet portal.”

“I want to hear it first from you before finding out more on the internet. Too much spices up there and that’s not healthy for my liking,” Sejeong gave a reason. “Did her older sister also marry with the same situation? Matchmaking? Forced marriage?”

Daniel nodded.

“But that’s not forced marriage, Dear.” Daniel patted Sejeong’s hand. “They are all the same and I think that's the fate of those who are born as heirs like you. Her older sister married with a son of one of the businessmen who also an owner of the largest entertainment agency in the country. Her younger sister is also in a relationship with the daughter of a senator. You can imagine how much power her family just by hearing it. Her sisters had already known their partner. Her younger sister even dating first before the ‘matchmaking’ was done. It can be said they are good at choosing a partner because they are not getting intervention from their father. Ellena Kim is an exception. Besides you, only two names are often heard and concern on the news search. Ong Seongwoo and Catherine Ki.” Daniel held out his tablet for Sejeong, showing some news on the internet portal regarding the Ellena Kim.

---

 

TOM & JERRY REUNITED AT Y2J CONCERT

 

Ellena Kim and Catherine Ki who went to Y2J concert together attracted the attention of reporters. This is not the first time reporters have found them going together to a concert. Last year, they were known to go to Canada to watch the biggest annual jazz festival. Today, in Y2J concert, both seen enjoyed the concert and sang along with Hazes, Y2J fans. After the concert both seemed to leave the concert together. When the reporters asked them about their relationship, Ellena Kim and Catherine Ki just answered playfully.

Ellena Kim, “Ki Heehyun always annoying. I really hate her (laughs).”

Catherine Ki, “Our relationship is like Tom & Jerry but we love each other (laughs).”

 

[+1037, -22] Visuals.. But, are they dating?

[+631, -37] They’re my girlxgirl ship in The Arc!! I miss Sojung and Narong too..

[+577, -29] I used to watch their performance with The Arc members..

[+541, -24] Producer Ki and Architect Kim.. I love their bond..

[+235, -11] Did they go to college together?

[+222, -9] The Arc reunited!!

[+141, -32] Our California girls are pretty!!

 

---

 

“When I met Ellena Kim in Okinawa, there’s Catherine Ki too. I’m not surprised if they’re really dating. They look cute together.” Sejeong tried to look calm. She returned Daniel’s tablet but Daniel shook his head at Sejeong’s statement.

“Don’t make an assumption until you see this.” Daniel typed something in his tablet and gave it back to Sejeong.

---

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter