Chapter 2 (Destiny)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Please, pay attention to the time in every scenes.

This will be written back and forth.

 

***

 

Seoul, July 11th

“Bin-ah...” Chaeyeon put the magazine she had been reading on the table and stared at the girl who was busy with her laptop. Totally ignoring her existence that is more than an hour lying on a couch in a mini studio belonging to her bestie.

“Hmm...” Yebin’s muttering softly that made Chaeyeon sigh irritably.

“Don’t you miss me?” Chaeyeon can see one of Yebin’s eyebrows moves up when she asked.

“What’s wrong with you?” Yebin laughed at the childish question but still didn’t take her eyes off the laptop.

“Ya! Baek Yebin!!” Chaeyeon yelled, finally succeeded gaining Yebin’s attention. For the first time since Yebin opened the door for Chaeyeon some time ago.

“Wae? Wae? Wae?” Yebin responded irritably.

“Pay attention to me.” Chaeyeon scowled at the Yebin. With a pout, she motioned her hand to Yebin to come closer.

“This is what happens when you keep being spoiled and people always give you what you want. You’re so damn annoying, Ms. Craving Attention.” Yebin sighed before getting up from her chair and approaching Chaeyeon who has changed her position sitting on the couch. She sat next to Chaeyeon who smiled broadly at her. Chaeyeon immediately wrapped her hand around Yebin’s neck and hugged her tightly.

“Yebin-ah... I miss you!” Chaeyeon grabbed Yebin’s head before kissing the small girl’s face.

“Ya! Jung Chaeyeon!” Yebin tried to free herself from Chaeyeon but failed. However Chaeyeon’s posture is bigger and makes it difficult for her to move. She let Chaeyeon continue to kiss and hug her.

“How’s your concert?” Chaeyeon asked before released her and return to sit beside her. Smiling at the Yebin who trying to breathe again.

“Well done… I guess?” Yebin answered uncertainly before gazing strangely at her best friend. “How’s your cases? Still ?” She asked with a mocking tone.

“Always. I’m working until my getting hurt.” Chaeyeon’s words made Yebin laugh.

“Stupid.”

“I’m not!” Chaeyeon shook her head. “Just so you know, Minky and I got promotion to join on several senior lawyer projects to handle the case in the Government.”

“Ew, that’s . Very !” Chaeyeon’s eyebrows almost linked because Yebin’s reaction. “Sweetie, nothing is fun when you have to deal with the Government.”

“I know...”

Chaeyeon agreed immediately and made Yebin rolling her eyes. Chaeyeon’s reaction was too easy for her to read. There’s something else with her best friend and it made Yebin inquisitive.

“And you still decided to join this project?”

“Of course!” Chaeyeon answered quickly. “Being in this team and handling the Government cases will be a plus to my portfolio as well as my future career.”

“Anything else other than that?” Yebin hold her head with her hand and leaning on the couch arm.

“Mmm...” Chaeyeon looks doubtful. “I went to the bar when I was in Okinawa, Bin-ah.”

Okay, that’s a random.

Of course she knows her best friend would have gone to the bar. Chaeyeon is married with alcohol, after all. And as if understanding Yebin’s expression, Chaeyeon continued.

“You could call it as meeting with senior lawyers. An introduction. As the maknae in this team, of course I had to come.”

“Hmm...” Yebin nodded her head and gestured her friend to keep talking. She reached for the drinking bottle on the table and took a sip. “And then?”

“And then?” Chaeyeon asked back with a blank face.

“Did you meet someone who made you excited like this?”

Shoot!

Yebin looking at her with meaningful smile. Chaeyeon didn’t know whether to be happy or not that her best friend knows her so well.

“I did.”

“Now this is interesting. Is it a she or he?”

“She.” Chaeyeon sighed. “But I think she likes another woman.”

“Poor my Chae…” Yebin pursed her lips and rubbed Chaeyeon’s head. “It must be annoying because you have to see them at every meeting later.”

“Aniyo. She’s not a lawyer. She’s not part of the team.”

“Whut?” Yebin looked confused. “Did you get to know her or talk or spending time together?”

Chaeyeon shook her head.

“I watched her from a far. Actually, she’s a friend of Jieqiong’s friend. Well, we met before that, through Jieqiong, but… We didn’t talk or anything, just like that.”

“What makes you interested in her?”

Chaeyeon took a deep breath.

“She looks cold, intimidating. Distant. But she also seemed warm and adorable when interacting with her peers. Cute. And this is the most important, Bin-ah.” Chaeyeon looked excited.

“What?” Yebin leaned with curiosity.

“I was attracted to her because she didn’t look interested to me!” Chaeyeon nearly shouted as she said that. This time Yebin couldn’t hold herself. She laughed loudly until her face flushed.

“This is weird. Jung Chaeyeon is weirdo.” Yebin shook his head.

“And you know what?” Chaeyeon asked with an expression that made Yebin try hard to keep from laughing.

“What?” For the umpteenth time Yebin asked the same thing.

“I think you know her, Bin-ah. Maybe you know her so well?”

“Who?” Yebin smiled cheeky. “Choi Yuna?”

“Ya! We were over a long time ago, Stupid!”

 

***

 

Seoul, August 6th

“I miss you.” Hana tightened her arms around Mimi’s neck with her face buried in Mimi’s shoulder. She could hear Mimi’s laughter before feeling a soft pat on her back. She closed her eyes for a moment without letting go of her hug. Being in her ffiancée’s embrace is the best thing after spending more than five hours in the operating room.

“I left you for three days and see what you look like now? Like a clingy koala.” Mimi kissed Hana’s head and tightened her arms. “Those who are outside this room would not think if Dr. Shin who so famous with the cold expression would become so soft and adorable when she’s with me.”

“You’re a jerk.” Hana suddenly took off her embrace and looked at Mimi with a pout.

“Wae?” Mimi asked with an innocence look. Her right hand moves to tidy Hana’s messy hair and tuck it behind her ear. She pulled Hana’s hand to sit on the couch and stared at her with a warm smile.

“You didn’t tell me earlier that you were going to Taiwan when you were with me the night before you go. You disappeared for days and you didn’t even tell me that you’d be back today.” Hana began to sulk.

“I’m so sorry, Babe. The notice was so sudden that I don’t have time to tell you, Bora-ya.” Mimi pulled Hana in her arms. Hugged and kissed Hana’s head repeatedly. Unlike Hana who can express her feelings verbally, it’s easier for Mimi to show her feels through her acts. It's rare for Mimi to say something romantic but Hana knows that Mimi has her own way to show her love.

“Don’t be mad. I really miss you. I came here right after I landed for you.” Mimi gave her a smile. She understands what makes her girlfriend upset. “I don’t want you to feel you’re not my priority when I’m still hectic with my job. I’m not multitasking like you, Babe. I find so hard to focus on anything you wrote if we’re keep texting when I’m working. I have short term memory and I’m afraid I’ll forget about your story if I simply called you and continue working. I don’t want to skip anything what you say so I prefer to see you in person. Everything about you is important. That’s why I choose not to call you until I finish my job. I’ll make it up to you, Babe. I promise.”

Hana nodded in understanding. She knows who her lover is. Mimi who doesn’t like the rules and loves freedom must accept her destiny to be a CEO of an International company. That’s not an easy thing. When her friends still have fun with their youth, Mimi already holds a big responsibility on her family company. Before their relationship happened, Mimi’s workspace in the office was her home. Working 24/7 is not something new to Mimi. But since Hana entered the life of Mimi as her fiancée, Hana slowly changed Mimi’s bad habits.

Yes, it is not easy for them to start a new relationship if they remember what they were before.

Friendship is a strange relationship considering what the nature of both is. Hana is a princess-like figure with a near-flawless life. Raised as the successor from one of the famous family who recognized with many achievements and active in social activities make her grow into a figure with high awareness and become role models for friends of her age. Totally different from Mimi who has been known as a troublemaker since childhood and a figure who doesn’t care about her surroundings. If it were not for their parents who introducing both of them, maybe they’re never be a friends for a long time. And once again, the friendship of their parents changed their destiny.

The engagement.

It is not easy for them to accept the engagement that their parents want. Although they have been friends since childhood, became fiancée to each other is different thing. And they admit, the engagement almost destroyed their friendships for years.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter