Chapter 12 (Anchorage)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, October 27th

Heehyun woke up in dazed; her mind went confused with ‘where the am I?’ as she saw the unfamiliar ceiling above her. Heehyun shut her eyes, feeling the sleepiness hasn’t really left her. Thankfully she didn’t feel any hangover.

What happened? What did I do yesterday?

A minute passed as she finally realized her body is , under unfamiliar blanket and in unfamiliar bed, with someone beside her.

, I did it again? But I thought I didn’t drunk yesterday? Who-

Her eyes almost jumped out from her eyes when she saw Jung freaking Chaeyeon beside her, as as her, sleeping peacefully… And looking like a goddess (wait, what the , brain?). Thankfully the blanket covered the rest of her body or Heehyun would go crazy. But seriously, what the ?? What happened?! What-

And now she remembered. She remembered they met yesterday at her building. She remembered taking her to restaurant. She remembered giving her a ride home. She remembered Chaeyeon staring at her. She remembered staring back at her. She remembered they freaking kissed at the parking lot, stumbled on their feet to go to Chaeyeon’s room. She remembered they did it. Oh dear God and for all the love in the world, she knows she won’t ever forget the noise that comes from Chaeyeon when she came directly to Heehyun’s mouth with full pleasure. She perfectly remembered how they switched position all the while kissing here and there and came together for a few times, and she remembered thinking how the two of them can move so perfectly in sync, as Chaeyeon collapsed above her, breathless just like Heehyun.

And she remembered Chaeyeon said I love you right before they drift off to sleep.

Oh my God. What I’ve done? Why, why, out of people, why?

This is not the first time. Obviously not the first time she sleep with someone, but it was usually under the effect of alcohol, without any feeling involved. And it was a long time ago, when she liked to fool around. When the morning comes, the Ki Heehyun on the past would leave the room, wouldn’t face any awkward pillow talk with whoever she spend the night with.

But she is with Chaeyeon now. She slept with Jung Chaeyeon. Her hero. Her live-saver. What should she do now? Is leaving the sleeping Chaeyeon here a good idea? Or should they talk about it? Was last night counted as one-night-stand thing? Does Chaeyeon really likes her? Does she likes Chaeyeon?

First, let’s think about last night. Heehyun’s sure she was sober, and she’s sure Chaeyeon was sober too last night, so she isn’t sure what happened here, didn’t plan or expecting any of this with Jung Chaeyeon.

Why did Chaeyeon kiss her? Why did she kiss Chaeyeon?

Before her brain could answer her question or decide to do anything, Chaeyeon moved in her sleep and snuggled closer to her. Head on Heehyun’s shoulder while her hand dropped on her stomach, and Heehyun let out a small yelp.

.

She watched in horror as the younger girl frowned, probably because the disturbance on her sleep, and slowly opened her eyes. Heehyun gulped as their eyes met.

“Heehyun Unnie?”

Chaeyeon stared at her in confusion, and Heehyun hoped that Chaeyeon would think this is a dream and go back to sleep, but to her surprise, the younger girl hugged her waist.

Heehyun can feel her cheeks turned red as she felt Chaeyeon’s bare skin on hers. Oh dear God just let me die now what do I do-

“You are here,” she heard Chaeyeon whispered in her chest. “So last night is not a dream... It’s real, you’re here.”

How Heehyun wishes last night was a dream. Chaeyeon looked at her again and she suddenly can’t breathe as Chaeyeon looks so pretty in her bare face and that wide smile.

“You okay, Unnie?” the younger asked, noticing the unusual silence.

She let out an embarrassing squeak of, “Ye-yeah,” but Chaeyeon still staring at her with her beautiful eyes and the cute frown and Heehyun’s brain just can’t think straight (no pun intended) right now. “I mean, why are you so pretty?”

What. the. .

Chaeyeon giggled. Her cheeks also turned into adorable red one, Heehyun noticed. “Thank you, you are so pretty too, Unnie.”

Chaeyeon leaned closer and their lips met. It’s so soft Heehyun melted with it. Her hands moved on its own to pull Chaeyeon even closer to her. She felt the younger moan to , vanishing all the confused question from her mind earlier. All she could think right now is Chaeyeon and Chaeyeon only. She needs to hear more of Chaeyeon’s moan; she needs to feel more of Chaeyeon. Before she knows, her hands already moving around Chaeyeon’s body and nothing could stop her.

The next time they came back to their sense, still breathless, Chaeyeon already stared at her again, still with that lovely gaze of hers. Heehyun had to restrain from kissing her again or they wouldn’t ever stop. Well, Chaeyeon tasted so good but dammit Ki Heehyun okay they have to stop.

“That’s a nice way to wake up and greet a Sunday morning, isn’t it, Unnie?” Chaeyeon said before peck her lips. The older girl noticed there’s some hickeys around the younger’s neck and collarbone and Heehyun didn’t know whether to feel embarrassed or proud about it.

“Yeah,” Heehyun can’t deny that this is a nice way to wake up. Maybe a bit too nice, also too surprising and unexpected, but then Chaeyeon still smiled at her and she shrugged the thought off.

She let Chaeyeon rested her head in her collarbone, enjoying the warm from Chaeyeon’s body. Her hand moved to the silky hair of the younger girl, listening to her approving hums. Why is it so comfortable? Why does she feel like this?

“Do you have any plan today?” Chaeyeon asked, her finger tracing the skin on Heehyun’s collarbone.

“No, except spending time in my apartment and sleep all day is counted as plan.”

She felt another giggles in her chest and it sounds so adorable. She could listen to it for the rest of her life. Ugh, brain, stop it-

“Didn’t know you are the lazy type, Unnie,” Chaeyeon said, along with another peck on Heehyun’s lips. More pecks and Heehyun might lose her mind again. “I was thinking we can go to somewhere else today.”

“I’m not the lazy type, but it’s Sunday, you know,” Heehyun said as she played with Chaeyeon’s hair. Their faces is so close right now, and Heehyun realized (again) how beautiful Chaeyeon is, just like last night at the parking lot. Maybe that’s why she kissed Chaeyeon? She dismissed the question when Chaeyeon gave her another peck. “Just the two of us? Where do you want to go?”

“Honestly, I don’t know. Anywhere is fine as long as I’m with you.”

Heehyun let out a chokes.

The young lawyer chuckled, “Okay, that was too cheesy, I’m sorry, Unnie.” Her cheeks also turned into pink again. “You are so cute when you are blushing like this, you know.”

“I’m not cute,” she said, denying the warm on her cheeks are now. “I didn’t know you can be cheesy like that, Jung Chae.”

“I didn’t know too… Maybe because it is you, Unnie?”

“What do you mean?”

“I like you.”

Heehyun felt went dry. To avoid from the obligation to reply the confession, she pulled Chaeyeon and kissed her. And kissed her. And kissed her again and again.

 

***

 

Nayoung read the email from the ministry on her phone, letting out a sigh before replying to it, telling them she will come to the meeting tomorrow. She checked the previous email. Her hand unconsciously gripped the phone a bit too tight while she repeatedly read it.

She still can’t believe it, the Government said they are putting The Blues on hold, only because some changes on the regulation, whatever it means. Also, they will open new tender for the project. She worked hard for the tender and she won and now they decided to stop everything. What is happening? She doesn’t understand. What did she missed? Well she have to hear whatever they are going to say on the meeting. She will fight for her project. She can’t lose this project.

And Ong. Ong freaking Seongwoo. Her best friend for years, her partner for life, the person she trusted with her life. She can’t believe that guy didn’t tell her about this! If the ministry staff didn’t contact her personally about the meeting, she wouldn’t know anything about this. There’s no way she would let him deal with this by himself. The Blues is their project.

Nayoung closed her eyes, taking a few deep breaths before leaning back on her bed. Trying her best to not jump off the bed and leave the hospital to go to the Hourglass and find Seongwoo. Well, she’d have some talk to her best friend, but more importantly is that they have to prepare for the meeting tomorrow. Maybe they need to gather all documents and shove it to the Government and asking for explanation, and then–

“Hey, Unnie.” Nayoung opened her eyes to find Sejeong just came to her room. The wide smile on the doctor’s face as she walked to her bed made Nayoung forget about the project for a moment.

“Hey,” she smiled back, as Sejeong kissed her forehead. “Why do you look so happy?”

“Nothing,” said Sejeong as she sat at the chair beside Nayoung’s bed. “I’m just happy to see you. I missed you, you know.”

The smile is just so pure and happy and Nayoung afraid she will make the smile disappeared if she told Sejeong about her plan for tomorrow.

Sejeong looked at her closely, noticing the uneasy expression from Nayoung. “What is it, Unnie? Are you okay?” Her eyes automatically went to the medical tools around Nayoung’s bed, checking if she missed anything on her lover’s condition.

“I’m fine,” Nayoung started hesitantly. “It’s just that… Something happened recently.”

Sejeong lifted an eyebrow.

Nayoung bit her lips, and she looked up to see the doctor’s face. “I have to attend a meeting tomorrow.”

 

***

 

Seoul, October 28th

“Mind telling me what happened?”

Sejeong shifted her eyes from the television screen to see Hana just barging in to her office room, still with her surgery clothes, looking furious. “What happened to knocking, Unnie?”

Hana had to bit her lips to prevent herself from snapping at the director of the hospital.

“I’m sorry for coming in without notice, Director Kim, but can you explain to me why Ellena Kim is out of her hospital bed and attending meeting with the Government right now?”

“Because she had to attend the meeting and she has my permission,” said Sejeong, turning back her attention to the television. Focused on the one girl on the screen.

“What meeting is this and why is it so important that Nayoung had to come?” Hana asked as she sat in front of Sejeong. “I just finished my surgery and saw Nayoung and Ong on the TV. I don’t understand.”

“Yesterday Nayoung Unnie told me, the Government is stopping the Blues for temporary and re-opening the tender. The meeting started since morning, the minister explained about the postponing and the need of new investor. They tried, but Nayoung Unnie and Seongwoo Oppa can’t stop the postponing. The meeting should be finish soon,” explained Sejeong.

Hana’s eyes widen, the Government stopping the Blues?

“Anyway, I don’t understand why they have to broadcast the whole meeting to everyone in the country,” Sejeong said, although she felt grateful she could monitored Nayoung.

“Maybe because the project is considering as national project. The initial tender was opened nationally and public involved to participate in choosing the winner of the project,” Hana explained. “But that’s why they have so many problems, too many people involved in this project.”

“Wait, did they change the schedule? They will continue the meeting after lunch?” Sejeong asked in surprise, eyes squinted to the TV screen as she listened. The meeting supposed to end at 12 PM, that’s what Nayoung said yesterday.

She started feeling worried, thinking about Nayoung’s condition. The screen in front of them showing that Nayoung and Seongwoo staying in the meeting room with their team members, probably discussing about the next meeting, while the others went out to have lunch. Sejeong reached for her phone, texting Nayoung to get lunch and eat her medicine.

Hana understand the worried tone from Sejeong. She felt the same thing as she saw Nayoung staying in the meeting room. “You said they re-opened the tender so maybe the next meeting is about discussing the project with the investors. I’m guessing Ong and Nayoung upset with the decision?”

“Yeah,” Sejeong nodded, remembering Nayoung’s frustrating face as she listened to the minister’s explanation earlier. “But I don’t understand why they are so upset about working with other companies or investor. Isn’t that better than letting the Government cancel the whole project?”

“Because those companies would turned this project into commercial business and that’s different with Hourglass’ goals,” Hana answered, “The purpose of The Blues is for tourism, educational, and sport facilities with an artistic values. The place for everyone to have fun as well as learn. The Blues is slightly different with the previous projects that tend to build universities, schools, museums and libraries.”

Sejeong impressed Hana knows a lot. She about to ask her when a familiar person appeared on the screen, entering the meeting room and sat in one of the chairs with the other businessmen.

“Wait, isn’t that Mimi Unnie? She joined the tender?” Sejeong turned to Hana and saw the surprised expression from the older girl. “She didn’t tell you?”

“We never talk about our job,” Hana replied after a pause, making a mental note to talk with her lover after the meeting finished. Now the camera is showing the other businessmen and architects, and Hana recognized some of them. She frowned. “This won’t be easy for Nayoung and Ong.”

“Why? Who are those people?”

Hana pointed the group of people Mimi’s talking to.

“They are Mimi’s friends as well as her team members for the Acropolis project, the last project before The Blues in case you didn’t know. Hongbin told me about Mimi’s new project that made him return to Seoul, but I guess Mimi summoned all of her team members to come back to Korea. I’m sure they are trying to get The Blues and won’t let anyone else win the tender.”

“What do you mean, Unnie?”

“You see that people?” Hana pointed the other row and Sejeong recognized them as some young businessmen also the heirs from some companies. “They are the 90-94’s squads and I’m sure they want the same thing, although they usually don’t like work with the Government and– OH MY GOD!”

Hana’s sudden yell surprised Sejeong, and the younger surgeon could only watch as her senior typed something on her phone, probably contacting her lover, with worried expression on her face. Sejeong turned back to the TV and saw most of people there bowing to the last squad who just entered the room.

Sejeong’s not sure what’s happening, her main focus are Nayoung and her condition. But Hana’s reaction makes her worried.

“Wae, Unnie?” Sejeong looked at Hana with concern.

“I don’t understand too, but,” Hana put her phone back, “I could only said that The Blues probably have something big to make the 80’s interested to join. This is gonna be so tiring for Nayoung and Ong.”

“They are,” Sejeong pointed to the television screen, “the 80’s?”

Hana nodded.

“What would happened if the project belongs to them?”

“It will be dirty work.” Hana sighed. “The 80’s squad known as influential and visionary people, and they are on the peak of their careers right now. If they want something, they’ll do everything to get it, even if they have to fight the other teams.”

“Wait,” Sejeong remembered something, “isn’t that Mimi Unnie’s oldest sister also 80’s?”

“That’s true,” Hana nodded. “You see them? Two person of the last seven people that just entered were Sooyeon Unnie’s friends, they are the youngest between the other 80’s. I used to meet them when I met Sooyeon Unnie.”

“They look adorable…” Sejeong stared at the people Hana pointed at. “Not intimidating at all.”

Hana laughed bitterly at Sejeong’s words.

“They might look cute, but you know, Sejeong-ah? Those people who look cute and adorable like them are the most dangerous one.”

 

***

 

“Good afternoon, everyone, thank you for coming in such short notice. We are pleased to meet you all,” said one of the ministry staff on the podium, starting the second meeting. “The first meeting this morning have discussed the changes on the Government’s regulatory and its impact to our financial as well as other works. It also will affecting several ongoing projects under the Government, and one of them is The Blues of The Ending Page that will be discussed on this meeting.”

Nayoung felt her wound aching and she remembered the medicine she forgot to eat. Sejeong would kill her later and she had to hold the urge to smile. She shrugged the pain off and tried to focus.

The man continued, “Followed with this issue, the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism decided to re-opened the tender for the Blues of The Ending Page for any companies who interested to be the investor. The purpose of this meeting is to finding the investor and provides the opportunities for the companies here to give their ideas for The Blues. In front of you there’s copies of agenda for today’s meeting, you can take a look. We will start with agenda number 4: introducing the consultant team and then continuing to agenda number 5: presentation of The Blues of the Ending Page.”

A murmurs followed as all the participants opened the agenda and discussed it with their own team.

“It’s like we are going to presenting our final exam, eh?” Seongwoo re-checked their presentation, looks calm despite the situation they are in, just like Nayoung.

“Yeah, but they will do their best to destroy us,” Nayoung smiled thinly.

“That will never happen. We’ll fight for this, Naong-ah.” Seongwoo looked at Nayoung and noticed her expression. “Hey, are you okay?”

“Of course not,” Nayoung answered, putting her flat expression. Her gaze stayed at the people on the room. “They surely will mess up everything we’ve been working. This won’t be easy, Ong. We have to stay on guard no matter what.”

“We will start the agenda number 4, introducing the consultant team for this project,” the man on the podium spoke, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’d like to welcome you the Vice President of Spring Artwork Consultant, Im Yoona, an architect as well as consultant who will be the bridge between the Hourglass Corp., the Government, and the investors in the planning and construction of The Blues. To Im Yoona-ssi and the team, we invite to enter the meeting room.”

Every gaze on the meeting room turned to the opened door, followed with gasp and surprise murmurs. A figure with long hair and skinny legs stepped in with a soothing smile, looking elegant in her ivory yellow knee-length dress that showed her beautiful curves. Perfection screamed from every part of her body. Followed with two other people behind her, she walked confidently to the center of the room, throwing everyone with her charming smile, showing her high-level of charisma despite being so young. Nayoung didn’t realize she was holding her breath until the woman spoke.

“Nice to meet you all,” she greeted. “I’m apologized on behalf of our President Director who can’t come because she has another meeting to attend in London at the moment. The President Director also sent her regards and looking forward for today’s meeting. But before we move on the next agenda, let me introduce my team,” Im Yoona said, and Nayoung wondered how a three-members team could be so intimidating. The two people on Im Yoona’s both sides just as charismatic as the Vice President. “On the right side is Bae Joohyun, she’s our interior designer and on the left side is Choi Minho, he’s an architect and planologist. Both will help me in this project.”

“I can’t believe what I’m seeing,” Mimi’s eyes fixed on Yoona and Nayoung alternately. “This meeting will be very interesting. If such powerful people like Choi Minho and Bae Joohyun is in her team, I can’t imagine how much power Im Yoona have.”

“And the three of them are also the heirs on their families. Maybe winning this project won’t be easy for us, Jung,” Hongbin mumbled softly beside her.

 

***

 

“I never know if Im Yoona is an architect like Nayoung Unnie.” Sejeong commented, still staring at the TV.

Hana turned to her. “You know Im Yoona?”

Sejeong nodded.

“She was my partner back then when we were doing volunteer work, and also my senior in high school,” said Sejeong, earning a shock from Hana. “I’ve never met her in school, she graduated before I came, but she’s so famous and everyone in our school knows her name. She’s the founder of ‘Honor Society’ in our school. Cool, right?”

“You graduated from the same high school with Im Yoona?” More than ten years Hana has been friends with Sejeong, the younger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter