Chapter 16 (Baby Step)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, November 1st

“I’ll ask Jieqiong to check on you later, just go home now, Chae,” Minkyung patted Chaeyeon’s back after the meeting ended and they were at their office. “I can handle the rest of the day.”

“No, that would be unprofessional of me,” Chaeyeon shook her head, but it gave her another stinging pain of a headache. She grimaced a little.

Minkyung sighed at her friend’s stubbornness. She moved closer to message Chaeyeon’s head. “Listen, you look paler than usual, and now you have a fever too. If the meeting wasn’t important, I wouldn’t let you come today,” she can felt Chaeyeon’s burning skin in her hands. “But now the meeting is over so I expect you to go home, and if I still see you after the lunch, I’ll personally drag you home.” She made sure to emphasize the last sentence.

Chaeyeon groaned. “Minky-ya... I have to accompany Daniel Oppa to the Prosecutor’s Office and-”

“Minhyung will be there with him. I’ve told Daniel Oppa and he said the same thing with me, just go home and rest for today, Chae,” Minkyung reached for her phone. “Should I call a taxi for you?”

“No, no, it’s fine… I can go by myself after I buy food at the canteen,” Chaeyeon stopped Minkyung’s hand. Looks like she doesn’t have any choice but obeys Minkyung. Also, her head is spinning too now.

Minkyung narrowed her eyes. “You promise to go home after buying food?”

“Yes, Minky, I promise,” Chaeyeon sighed and grabbed her bag before hugging Minkyung. “Thank you for taking care of me since last night, and say thanks to Daniel Oppa and Minhyung from me, okay? You don’t have to accompany me home, I’ll be fine.”

She released the hug and walked to the door, leaving Minkyung who watched her left.

“Yeah, I hope you’ll be fine, Chae…”

 

***

 

Chaeyeon arrived at the canteen and sat at one of the long chairs, looked around her. They sell many foods here and Chaeyeon usually would order tteokbokki and a bowl of soup, but really, she doesn’t feel like eating anything today. She thought about ditch her promise and just go home but Minkyung would kill her later.

Can’t decide what to eat, she mindlessly took her phone and checked the portal news out of habit, only to see new articles about her and Heehyun showed up. She knows it’s not a good idea to read it, but she can’t help it as her fingers moved to open one of the articles.

 

Catherine Ki still disappeared

“What really happened between Producer Ki and Lawyer Jung?”

[+1884, -1675] Producer Ki is Lawyer Jung’s client. If it’s true they are dating, isn’t that an unprofessional attitude?

[+1645, -22] I think they’ve been dating for a long time. There’s nothing wrong with dating. They are adults.

[+1297, -565] I heard that Catherine Ki is a womanizer and Lawyer Jung has dated many public figures.

[+1137, -552] Something suspicious... Usually, Producer Ki would always provide clarification regarding any scandal that involved herself, but she decided to hide this time...

[+1092 -27] A coincidence... Producer Ki and Architect Kim are buddies and Lawyer Jung is a close friend of Doctor Kim. I think they were on vacation together in Okinawa last July...

[+555, -8] Is this a conspiracy? Doctor Kim and Architect Kim are engaged, it is not impossible if Producer Ki and Lawyer Jung are dating too...

 

Who is the Lawyer Jung?

“Charlotte Jung: The Lawyer Who Never Loses, the Sweet Temptation, the Heir”

[+2090, -45] She graduated with laude from a top university and joined the best law firm in the country. She has never lost in the trial. She’s the real definition of brain, behavior, and beauty.

[+1995, -1342] The Sweet Temptation? What does it mean? She looks cold and arrogant like Catherine Ki, such a perfect couple.

[+1943, -777] She’s like a princess. Is she a Heiress? Who is her father?

[+1737, -589] Heol! She is Choi Yuna’s ex!!

[+1092, -927] Her relationship with Catherine Ki will only ruin her career. She could get someone better than Catherine Ki.

[+999, -8] I think she is The Half-Blood Princess, an aristocrat who disguised herself as ordinary people.

 

Diamond Ent. confirmed Y2J will make their comeback in the middle of November with a mini album

Diamond Ent. said, “They will come back with a mature concept and a catchy song. They are working diligently on preparing the new album. Please looking forward to their comeback.”

[+1034, -35] I hope they will write their own songs for the album

[+897, -45] Can you give us variety shows? We miss the crackheads Y2J

[+833, -2] Diamond must clarify Producer Ki scandal before Y2J’s comeback

[+645, -12] I can’t wait! Babies I love you!!

[+616, -7] Our Queens are back!!

[+555, -8] Y2J FIGHTING!!

 

Another collaboration of famous producers Catherine Ki and Nayoung Im for Y2J’s comeback

Nayoung Im, “This will be another bop song from us.”

[+2989, -987] No more bop song with Catherine Ki

[+2875, -579] Stay away from Catherine Ki! She’ll ruin the comeback...

[+2308, -45] Catherine Ki is a coward with her scandal... And now she’s gonna to ruin Y2J’s comeback. What is Diamond doing?

[+2121, -54] Yes for Producer Im, but please... I don’t want Catherine Ki to be involved in Y2J album...

[+1678, -59] Why does it have to be Catherine Ki? She’s a mess...

[+1554, -23] I feel bad for Y2J and Nayoung Im

[+1453, -22] Y2J will flop with Catherine Ki!! Please, postpone their comeback and find a new producer

 

Chaeyeon closed the page after that, completely regretting her decision to read the articles and the comments too. Chaeyeon closed the browser and locked her phone, and groaned when her head ringing again. She clutched at her head, hoping it would reduce the pain somehow.

Chaeyeon felt stupid, felt pathetic. This is so not her and her life, being in mess like this. From getting attracted to Heehyun and got close to her, to spend the night together… And got into the portal news where everyone thought they were dating when the other person actually didn’t feel the same to her. And now her dating scandal might be able to ruin her best friend’s upcoming comeback. What a mess.

Maybe Yebin was right. She always picks the wrong person. Or maybe she just has bad luck with her love life.

As she thought about Heehyun, she wondered, why did Heehyun stay silent about the news? It’s been 2 days since the article was released, why didn’t she say anything? At least it would stop people to talk about them, although Chaeyeon doubted it. Chaeyeon doesn’t care about gossip or rumor but should she talk about it with Heehyun?

She groaned again, from the idea of talking to Heehyun and the headache too. God, how many bottles she drank last night?

“Chaeyeon? You okay?”

Chaeyeon froze on her seat. She knows the voice well. She bit her lips when a familiar figure sat beside her.

“Chaeyeon, are you okay? Are you sick? Should we go to the hospital?”

The endless question gave her another headache. She lifted her hand to stop Heehyun.

“I’m fine, just headache, Unnie.”

When she turned to see Heehyun, she regretted it as her breathing stopped. Heehyun was looking at her with so much concern and worry, not to mention she also looked so pretty from this close distance, and Chaeyeon felt her heart just melted when the older girl held her hand while the other one checked on her forehead.

Chaeyeon bit her lips, scolded herself for thinking like that.

Heehyun’s hand on hers gave her internal conflict. She wanted to snatch the hand away, but they’re in public place where some of her colleagues were there too. It would start a rumor about them and that’s the last thing she needs right now.

And deep inside, she knows she doesn’t want to snatch Heehyun’s hand away. Deep inside, she missed the older girl.

(Chaeyeon mentally scolded herself again. Stupid heart.)

Heehyun still stared at her, unconvinced that Chaeyeon is okay. She can feel Chaeyeon’s burning forehead with her hand now. “But you look so pale now. Do you want to go home? I can take you home.” She held Chaeyeon’s hand tighter, feeling grateful that Chaeyeon didn’t reject her.

Chaeyeon did promise to Minkyung that she will go home after buying food, but letting Heehyun taking her home doesn’t sound like a good idea. The older girl probably will insist to stay at her home, making sure she’s okay. Chaeyeon should be staying away from Heehyun right now when she was still in her heartbreak phase.

But of course, rejecting Heehyun’s offer isn’t Chaeyeon thing.

“I actually plan to go home after lunch, Unnie,” Chaeyeon answered weakly, “My headache is killing me but I’m fine, I only need to eat something now… But I have no appetite for now.”

When Heehyun squeezed her hand gently, Chaeyeon had to remind herself that the older girl didn’t return her feeling. Heehyun was only worried about her and nothing else, there is no romantic feeling. She keeps repeating it in her head. Maybe rejecting Heehyun’s hand on hers would be a good idea, but it’s kinda late, isn’t it?

“Why are you coming here, Unnie?” she asked, more like to distract herself from staring at Heehyun too long.

Heehyun released her hold and Chaeyeon had to stop herself from whining of losing the warmth, as she watched Heehyun took out the food she brought from her paper bag on the table. She frowned.

“I brought this soup, I know you gonna get a headache this morning,” Heehyun said as she opened the container.

Chaeyeon admitted, the hangover soup actually smelled good as her stomach grumbled quietly.

“Thank you, but you don’t have to do this,” she said slowly, but she didn’t have the heart to reject as Heehyun brought the bowl closer to her, scooped the soup, and put the spoon in front of her.

The internal conflict was killing Chaeyeon. How badly she wants to just run away from there, from Heehyun’s kindness and caring act, from the warm feeling she felt, and the desire to hug the older girl, or maybe kicking her would be a better idea? Is she supposed to feel angry, sad, or grateful to Heehyun?

Chaeyeon stared at the spoon in front of her and Heehyun can see the discomfort in her face. She felt her heart breaks a little. Maybe coming here to see Chaeyeon wasn’t really a good idea after what happened between them. Heehyun can’t really blame Chaeyeon if the lawyer rejects her offer.

“Eat, Chae, please… You need to eat, right?” she said as gentle as she could and moved the spoon closer to Chaeyeon.

Mostly because they were in public place, Chaeyeon gave up and opened and let Heehyun feeding her.

The warm liquid felt so satisfying in . Is she really hungry or the soup is really good? Or is it Heehyun’s effect?

“How did you know I’m at the canteen, Unnie?”

“I asked the receptionist lady, she said she saw you came here.”

Chaeyeon nodded.

“Are you really coming here only to bring me food, Unnie?” she asked after a while. After few spoons, she took the bowl and the spoon from Heehyun. She might be enjoying Heehyun’s caring act but it still embarrassing for her to show their affection at a public place.

What, what affection? They’re not dating! …well, the public probably thought they were, but still.

“Do you want to drink something?” Heehyun asked instead of answering. “How about warm tea? Wait here, I’ll buy it.”

Chaeyeon could only stare while the older girl left her and walked to one of the stalls to buy the drink. She doesn’t understand, what is Heehyun doing here? Probably because Chaeyeon has been ignoring all texts and calls from Heehyun for the past two days, the older girl decided to meet her in the office, but coming to her office with food, worrying about her and treating her like this, feeding her and also buying her drink? What is Heehyun doing?

She wanted to think the possibility of Heehyun actually felt the same as hers, but she immediately threw away the thought.

Heehyun said herself she didn’t has any feeling for Chaeyeon, loud and clear, and Chaeyeon felt another pang in her heart remembering it.

So what is Heehyun doing here?

She stared at the older girl who was waiting for the drink at one of the stalls. Heehyun’s side profile is and still one of her favorite thing about her, and with that long black hair and beautiful figure, wearing the black leather jacket… How can a black leather jacket makes her feel hot?! Or is it just Heehyun’s effect on Chaeyeon?

As she unconsciously stared at Heehyun’s side profile, her eyes focused to her eyes, her nose, her lips, and her perfect jaw… How can one have such perfect, beautiful face? Maybe God spent a little too much when He created Ki Heehyun, Chaeyeon stupidly thought.

(Now Chaeyeon is sure she drunk too many bottles last night. She grimaced at her own thought.)

When Heehyun received the drink from the ahjumma on the stall, Chaeyeon’s eyes moved along with it. She remembered how those delicate long fingers touched her that night, so gently and needy, the one that brought her to the heaven and the back, along with her tongue while they rubbed each other and −

“Chae?”

The voice snapped her from her thought, and Chaeyeon just realized Heehyun already back and sat beside her again. God, she hopes she’s not blushing right now (but her cheeks were definitely burning. Oh my). She felt her body getting hotter, and she knows perfectly it’s not from the fever. Embarrassed at her body’s reaction, she wanted to say something but Heehyun moved closer to her, and God, she smelled so good, just like usual, and Chaeyeon, already forgot what to say, only wanted nothing but hug her and kiss her and did she mention how the older girl looked so good in her black leather jacket? Also−

“Your face is so red, are you sure you okay?” Heehyun asked, once again stopping Chaeyeon’s thought. The Producer got more worried than before when she saw Chaeyeon zoning out.

Meanwhile, Chaeyeon could only scold herself again for the stupid inappropriate thought she had.

“Thanks for the tea, Unnie,” she took the glass, hiding her cheeks while drinking the tea slowly. Hoping the warm drink would clean up her messy thought.

“I’ll take you home after you finished the soup, okay?” Heehyun said as she stared worriedly at the girl beside her.

A flashback of how Heehyun taking her home and ended up staying at Chaeyeon’s place overnight played again at Chaeyeon’s mind. Chaeyeon bit her lips.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Unnie,” she replied, hoping her brain would stop the inappropriate thought.

Heehyun stared at her. Chaeyeon didn’t sound mad but… flustered? Her cheeks were turning into pink.

And Heehyun finally understands.

“I promise I will leave as soon as we arrived, Chae, how about that?” She tried again. “But I don’t want you to go home by taxi when you’re sick like this. Please?”

Chaeyeon turned at her. She contemplated a bit before saying, “Promise?”

When Heehyun nodded, Chaeyeon didn’t know what else she could say to reject the offer.

Chaeyeon finished the soup and the tea while Heehyun just watched her in silence. They used to be close and comfortable around each other, but now look at them how they sat beside each other, awkward, and don’t know what to say. Heehyun could only blame herself for that.

They left the canteen and walked to Heehyun’s car. As they sat beside each other and drove Chaeyeon’s apartment building, the silence began to kill Heehyun.

When they stopped at the traffic light, Heehyun finally opened .

“I came to your office… Because I want to talk.”

Chaeyeon nodded. It’s not like she could run away from Hee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter