Chapter 13 (Level Up)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six years ago…

Tokyo

Doyeon walked into the Faculty of Medical Science where she promised to meet Sejeong for lunch. Since their first encounter a few months ago, and while Hana was returning back to Seoul, Sejeong has often met with Doyeon and her friends. Although studying on different major, they managed to hang out often together, for a small walk or maybe shopping, depends how their schedules allowed. Although they often meet up, today is the first time Doyeon come to Sejeong’s faculty building.

She took her time and looked around, amused at the difference between the psychology students at her place and the medical students here. Faces looked serious, moved from one place to another with quick steps, not seen interacting with each other, even no one sitting lazily around the building. Everything was so different with her own faculty, making Doyeon giggled at the contrast. The Faculty of Psychology was always lively, that some other times they could be mistaken as kindergarten. It’s normal to see all the available surface was occupied with the students, either for doing their homework or just chilling between the classes. Shout and loud laughter used to be heard in every corner. Doyeon just smiled as some of the students walked past her, there’s no expression on their faces.

Enough with looking around, Doyeon pulled out her phone to tell Sejeong that she has arrived. Right when she was about to press the number, there’s a thud sound behind her, making her turn her face.

She saw two girls in the hallway behind her, one tall girl seemed trying to help the other girl (a short one, Doyeon noticed) who was in crouching position on the floor. Her stuff was splattered around her. The tall girl helped the short one to stand up, and Doyeon saw one of her knee was bruised.

“Unnie, are you okay? Your knee is bleeding,” said the tall girl.

Doyeon had to control herself from laughing. From her height and her cute face, the shorter girl could be mistaken easily as middle school student, but turns out she’s the older one between them. It didn’t help when the taller girl had to help her to stand up before they sat on one of the bench.

“This is Sohye’s fault. I wouldn’t fall if not for bringing her the stuff she left on my place,” the shorter girl said grumpily, blaming the stuff around her.

Doyeon saw one of the shoelace of the short girl was loose. The psychology student wondered if the ‘Sohye’s stuff’ wasn’t the true reason for this cute shortie girl to fall.

The taller girl just chuckled as she collected the stuff on the floor and gave it to the short girl, “Actually I came to pick Sohye Unnie’s stuff at your place, Unnie.”

“Why? Where is she? Is she going on date now? Again?” The shorter girl snorted.

That didn’t go unnoticed by the tall girl. “Why, Unnie?” She had teasing smile on her face. “Are you jealous? Aigooo… Our Choi Yoojung is losing her best friend and feeling sad~” the tall girl said in mockery tone.

“Yah! Kim Sookyung! Watch your words! I’m not!” The short girl, Yoojung, glared at her friend, but Doyeon knows not even kids would be threatened by her glare. She’s too cute for that.

Sookyung just shrugged it off. “Sohye Unnie was so sad that you were so busy with your endless assignment. She felt like you ignored her.”

Yoojung bit her lips at the truth on her friend’s words. It’s true that she was too focused on her studies and often rejected Sohye’s invitation to going out. She didn’t even know Sohye’s girlfriend who has been dating her best friend for six months.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Yoojung admitted it.

“Of course I’m right, Unnie, but it’s okay. We know you both live in different world. You are a nerd now,” Sookyung laughed again as Yoojung glared at her again. “Anyway, you wait here while I go and look for some first aid kid for your wound, okay, Unnie?” Without waiting for Yoojung’s answer, Sookyung rushed and leaving Yoojung alone on the bench.

Doyeon just stood there with her arms folded, an amused smile appeared in her face. Her original purpose to meet Sejeong have forgotten for a moment as she stared at Yoojung who was checking the wound on her knee. She watched as the petite girl tried to tie up her shoelaces, but her bleeding knee prevented her from bend down. She sighed and pulled an earphones out of her bag. Doyeon can’t help but smile as Yoojung now had trouble with her messy earphones. Her long legs unconsciously brought her closer to Yoojung.

“Eh?” Yoojung startled as suddenly tall girl stood in front of her and took her earphones. Without words, Doyeon fixed the tangled earphones and put it on Yoojung’s ears, ignoring the shorter girl’s confused stare. Doyeon then squatted in front of Yoojung and tying up the shoelaces.

“Done,” Doyeon said brightly, eyes focused on Yoojung’s confused ones. “Next time be careful with the shoelaces, Kiddo.”

“Thanks,” Yoojung frowned, “But I’m not a kiddo.”

Doyeon just chuckled. “If you aren’t here to look for your brother or sister, then you must be a freshman.”

“No,” the wrinkles on Yoojung’s forehead went deeper, “This is my third year here, and I’m legal.”

Doyeon blinked at the unexpected confession. “What year were you born?”

“1999.”

“Really?” Doyeon can’t hold her surprise. This short girl in front of her is in the same age as her?

Yoojung stared at her unhappily. Whenever people asked about her age, she got the same reaction a lot. “Who are you? I never saw you here before.”

“Angel,” Doyeon replied cheerfully.

Yoojung gave her another frown. “Are you kidding me? I know you helped me and I’m grateful for that, but that doesn’t mean you are an angel.”

“I’m not kidding you. I’m Angel.”

“Uh-huh, so where’s your wings?”

“Got removed, because I want to live in Earth,” Doyeon smiled cheekily. “And I’m thankful for that, because I got to meet you in this Earth, Yoojung-ssi.”

“Yah! How do you know my name? Are you a stalker?” Yoojung can’t take this anymore. This tall girl is weird.

“No,” Doyeon face-palmed at the accusations. “I heard your friend call-”

“Dodo-ya.”

The voice made Doyeon and Yoojung turned their heads together.

“Sejeong Unnie.” Both of them mentioned Sejeong’s name at once and looked at each other in surprise. Sejeong was surprised as well but then she noticed Yoojung’s bruised knee.

“Aigooo… Baby, what happened to your knee?” Sejeong kneeled in front of Yoojung and pulled out wet tissues from her bag. She gently cleaned the wound and put a Band-Aid.

“I stepped on my shoelaces and fell,” Yoojung explained with a pout and Doyeon had to suppress her smile. “Thank you, Unnie.” The girl smiled until her eyes formed a crescent moon before turning back to Doyeon who was still standing next to them

“So, your name is Dodo, huh? Not Angel? Why are you lying?” Yoojung looked at Doyeon with an annoyed expression.

“I’m not lying!” Shouted Doyeon. “My name is Angel, and it’s not because I helped you.” Doyeon turned her gaze to Sejeong who looked at them in amuse, “Unnie, tell this little girl my name is Angel.”

“Yah! I’m not a kid, you giant pole!” Yoojung replied curtly. “Unnie, do you know her? I saw this thing for the first time and she acted like an -”

“Calm down,” Sejeong stopped them before Doyeon strangle Yoojung. She stood between them. “Yoojung-ah, her name is Angel. Evangeline Kim, more precisely,” Sejeong explained to Yoojung. “And Dodo-ya, this is Yoojung. Choi Yoojung.”

Doyeon’s hand moved to reach out for Yoojung, but the shorted girl ignored her and looked at Sejeong.

“Then why did you call her with Dodo? Is it because she likes Doraemon?” Yoojung pointed at Doyeon’s drinking bottle that has Doraemon stickers on it. “You called me Kiddo and having fun teasing me when you’re the one who acts like a kid,” Yoojung said, didn’t even hide her annoyance.

“Yah! You–”

Doyeon stopped when Sejeong warned her with a stare.

“Her Korean name is Kim Doyeon. Dodo is her nickname, like you, Daeng.” Sejeong Yoojung’s head with affection.

“Oh, your nickname is Daeng. Cute. Like you, cutie little pie.” Doyeon smirked and made Yoojung glare at her. “When you and me together, we’ll become DoDaeng.”

“Yah! What do you mean?” Yoojung hissed in disgust, but didn’t manage to hide the red hue on her cheeks.

“I mean when-”

“Yoojung-ah, have you had lunch?” Sejeong cut and looked at Yoojung. “Doyeon and I will have lunch together. You can join us.”

“I have class, Unnie. Maybe next time.” Yoojung smiled. She grabbed her things and bowed to Sejeong. “I’ll see you later, Unnie. Thanks for the Band-Aid.”

“Okay. Then I’ll go first, Dear… Be careful.” Sejeong waved her hand before she walked with Doyeon.

“Bye, Kiddo!” Doyeon grinned, back to her teasing tone. She waved her hand excitedly although Yoojung just ignored her.

“Why are you so flirty to her?” Sejeong asked as they entered the café, not far from her faculty building.

“Am I not usually like that?” Doyeon opened the menu and started reading the list. She called the waiter and ordered her food. “Unnie, you want the usual?” She asked to Sejeong who answered her with a nod. She told Sejeong’s food to the waiter as well before the waiter nodded and left them.

“No, you aren’t usually like that,” Sejeong stared at Doyeon. “You are aware of how people look at you in awe because your beauty and charm but you usually just ignore them. You don’t care about them.”

Doyeon laughed at Sejeong’s words.

“I think it’s on my blood, to easily get close with everyone. You know my father has too many women around him, and so does my Unnies,” Doyeon waved her hair, “It’s just that I rarely do it. I’ve been quiet and act like a good kid for a long time and people still try to chase me, right, Unnie? Well I can’t help it. But I can assure you, Unnie, I won’t be like my father and my Unnies. I won’t let myself to be trashy people like them,” Doyeon gritted her teeth.

Even so, Sejeong noticed how Doyeon’s eyes mixed with sadness, anger, and disappointment. The same frustrated eyes whenever the younger talked about her family. Sejeong can’t do nothing as Doyeon -for the umpteenth time- cursing her father and her Unnies.

“Don’t do that to Yoojung if you are in relationship. Yoojung is a good girl and she doesn’t deserve to be involved in your games. She’s soft like a puppy.”

Doyeon snorted. “My oldest sister is also like a puppy but she is the most heartless person I’ve known. My second sister is childish although she’s also the gentle type but that before she followed the behavior of my oldest sister who chose to ignore me. I have two older siblings who can only cause troubles. Being an only child like you and Hana Unnie I think is fun.”

“The only people I know that happy to be an only child is Yoojung,” Sejeong said.

“Oh, so she’s an only child? No wonder she behaves like a child.” Doyeon beamed as she remembered Yoojung, but her smile disappeared as she realized something, “Technically, I’m an only child too, Unnie. I don’t share the same womb with my Unnies. We just happened to exist because of the from our father encountered our biological mother respectively,” she said, again with her harsh tone.

“Stop talk like that about your family. I know it hurts you even more,” Sejeong patted Doyeon’s hand on the table softly. “You might be hurting by your father’s attitude but I know you still love your Unnies. Without you realize, you always mention about your Unnies, they are like this and that, they don’t like this and that… You don’t like them and you said they don’t care about you, but Mina told me that one of your Unnies asked you to go to the same college with her, but you rejected her.”

Sejeong never meet any of Doyeon’s older sister, but from what Doyeon told, Sejeong could tell their relationship isn't in good condition. Doyeon doesn't even tell her their names.

Doyeon laughed bitterly.

“She asked me to live with her after years of leaving me alone in Seoul. Should I believe her? I can’t. I want to prove her that I can survive without her. I’ll be fine without them,” Doyeon bit her bottom lip. “We’re complicated, Unnie. I can’t trust my Unnies. Their lives are a mess and I’m not sure they can be good role models for me. I can’t live with people like them. By living here, I know I made a right decision. I met a lot of nice and good people here.”

Doyeon smiled happily and Sejeong thought that maybe Doyeon was right with her decision to live in Tokyo by herself. It’s sad to see how the younger girl deal with her family but Sejeong can’t do much about it.

A squeeze on her hand snapped Sejeong from her trance as Doyeon excitedly said, “Say, Unnie, that girl, Choi Yoojung… Is she dating someone at the moment?”

“Yah! I told you not to disturb her if- “

“I’m single, Unnie,” Doyeon interrupted, surprising Sejeong.

“But how about Hyojung?”

“We broke up a month ago. Long distance relationship is really tiring, Unnie. Do not even consider about doing that.”

“Aigooo… Why you didn’t tell me?” Sejeong grabbed Doyeon’s hand and squeezed it. “Are you okay?”

“We are good, Unnie, it was a mutual break up. We remain friends, Unnie-dongsaeng relationship,” Doyeon said calmly. “Sometimes letting go the things we love is better than keep it in our hands and tried to protect it only for our personal ego. Hyojungie deserves better, and yeah so do I.”

Doyeon might be talking about it lightly, but Sejeong knows the tall girl only tried to look strong outside while her eyes turned sad. Before Sejeong could say anything, Doyeon already back to her mischievous smile.

“So, Unnie… You know I like cute things, right? And that Choi Yoojung is cute. Can you give me her number?”

 

***

 

Seoul, October 29th

Hana woke up and didn’t find Mimi beside her. She remembered their fight last night and it still hurt her. She regretted being hard on Mimi, but Mimi’s decision to not discuss with her first before getting involved with The Blues was disappointed her. How can she not when Mimi again let herself joined the similar project that almost snatched her life four years ago?

Hana wiped her face restlessly. Last night was their greatest fight for the last four years. The last time they had a big fight like this, it ended with her almost losing Mimi and Hana did not want it to happen again.

Hana looked at the space beside her, the spot Mimi used to sleep, and it looked neat. The doctor realized her lover probably slept on the couch last night and it made her feel guilty.

With a slow pace, Hana came out of her room. There was no Mimi’s presence in the living room but Hana smelled coffee from the pantry. She quickly went to the pantry.

In the pantry, she saw Mimi was sitting on dining table with her back facing Hana. The older girl looked busy with something and didn’t realize Hana’s presence. With the distance between them is less than one meter, Hana can see what keeps Mimi busy and it makes her step halted. She almost can’t believe what she saw.

On the table, Hana saw Mimi’s laptop with something like a blueprint showed on her screen, something that Hana had not seen for a long time. Next to the laptop, Hana saw a lot of papers scattered, all of them filled with Mimi’s sketches. Hana struggled to hold her tears, as she keep stared at Mimi whose still busy drawing a building in one of the papers.

Since the car accident four years ago, not once did Hana see Mimi back to drawing. Mimi used to be inseparable with her pencil and sketchbook since the first time Hana met her. Those things were Mimi’s treasures. Sadly, the accident changed everything.

“They almost hurt you too because of me. They threatened to kill you if I continue my project. I can’t do that, Bora-ya. I can’t draw if your life is at stake.”

That’s what Mimi said after Hana asked her why she never draw again. The accident left a big trauma for the older girl, and Mimi never touch her sketchbook anymore, scared that her sketches could endanger her live and Hana again. Since the accident, Mimi completely distanced herself from doing project design. As the CEO of The Arrows, Mimi remained as an architect and consultant but for the past four years, Mimi has always hired another architects to help her with designing.

Mimi did her best to stay away from drawing for the past four years, and Hana realized that something is happening right now and it forced Mimi to go back to drawing.

Her tears rolling down to her cheeks without she can’t control it. Hana didn’t know how long Mimi was staying in the pantry, but from the bunch of papers around her and a cup of coffee beside her –another thing that told Hana that something happened with her lover–, Hana can tell Mimi has been sitting there for quite some time.

“Mimi-ya...” Hana called quietly.

Mimi didn’t respond, too absorbed on her works that she didn’t hear Hana’s voice behind her. Hana walked closer and sat beside her. She gently grabbed Mimi’s wrist, stopping her movement. Mimi turned her face and was surprised to see Hana’s face was wet with tears.

“Hey, you okay? What’s wrong?” Mimi quickly put down her pencil and held Hana’s hand. “Why are you crying, Babe?” She asked worriedly, and then her expression became nervous. “Are you... Are you still mad about last night?”

Hana shook her head and leaned closer to Mimi who immediately put her hands around Hana’s waist, letting the doctor to lean on her fully.

They stayed quiet for a while. None of them said anything until Mimi took a deep breath.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. I know I’ve let you down.” Mimi could feel Hana’s arms tightening around her body as her face deep buried in Mimi’s neck. “I know my decision hurt you, but please trust me, Bora-ya… It’s not easy for me to do this, but I promise I won’t let the incident four years ago to happen again. I promise I won’t get hurt.”

Hana didn’t say anything and remained in her position. Mimi didn’t stop her back, to assure Hana that she will be fine this time. She knows her decision wasn’t easy for Hana and she won’t force Hana to accept all her decisions.

“You’re drawing again.” Hana let go of their hug and looked at Mimi.

Mimi took a deep breath and lowered her head.

“I tried… but I can’t. I’m still afraid if I draw-” Mimi looked up and smiled weakly. “You know, ten years have passed and I still don’t know what Sooyeon Unnie wants from me.”

“You are the only dongsaeng who follows her footsteps, of course she wants you to continue to be an architect.” Hana grabbed Mimi’s hand and kissed the back of Mimi’s hand. “Forgive my attitude last night. Years ago I said if I will continue to support you but last night,” Hana took a deep breath. “I’m sorry... Do what you want, whatever makes you happy, and I’ll always support you,” Hana smiled at Mimi’s startled expression.

“But,” Mimi shook her head, “my decision has disappointed you and you could get hurt if I keep going-”

Mimi’s words stopped because Hana’s lips locked her lips. Kissed her softly.

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll be fine. I trust you.” Hana pecked Mimi’s lips. “Just promise me one thing, Mimi-ya.” Hana cupped her palm on Mimi’s face, making the older girl to look at her. “Don’t be reckless. Be careful in whatever you do. Don’t die, don’t leave me alone.”

Hearing Hana’s words made Mimi embrace her tightly. She knew it was not easy for Hana and once again, Hana proved to her how much love the girl had for her.

“I love you, Shin Bora. I promise you, we’ll be okay. I promise you, I’ll never leave you alone.”

 

***

 

Nayoung opened her eyes, still feeling sleepy and tired. She was about to go back to sleep when she saw a familiar figure coming out from the restroom.

She blinked a few times before letting a weak voice, “Hyun?”

Heehyun widen her eyes when she heard the voice. She quickly approached Nayoung. “Nayoung? How do you feel? Are you okay? Should I call Sejeong? What do you need? I-”

“Quiet, please,” Nayoung whined, suddenly got headache from Heehyun’s non-stop questions. “Don’t you see I’m still weak here?”

Heehyun let out a sigh of relief as she saw Nayoung looks fine. “Well, that’s what you got for pushing yourself. Seriously, what the , Kim?” She started nagging, talking about yesterday’s meeting.

“If you are here only to curse at me, it’s better if you just go home.” Nayoung gestured Heehyun to get her some water.

“Hey, I came here and staying beside you the whole night after I saw you fainted yesterday.” Heehyun approached while carrying a glass of water. She helped Nayoung sit down and drink the water.

“Flattered,” Nayoung said dryly, hiding the fact that she actually felt warm at what Heehyun just said. She laid back to her pillow, “Who’d thought you care about me?”

“Well, I do care, and because I care about you, I’d love to tell you that there’s high possibility that Sojung currently on her way to come here and ready to punch you.” Heehyun didn’t take her eyes off Nayoung. Her hand reached out touching Nayoung’s forehead, cheeks, and neck, and she was visibly relieved to know that the fever had gone.

“It’s better be Chu Sojung not Kim Sojung.” Nayoung sighed.

“But I wanna watch drama so I vote for Kim Sojung.” Heehyun grinned. “I need Sowon to make a scene. Must be awesome to see the famous International model punch the famous but stupid CEO.”

“Sejeong would stopped her,” Nayoung said, and hoped in the same time. She remembered Sojung’s threat before she left the last time, and was sure that her cousin would really hit her.

“I still don’t understand how she could let you attend the meeting.” Heehyun looked at Nayoung, with the sharp gaze and the eyebrows almost met.

“Well, my fault. I made her.” Nayoung answered calmly.

“You forced her?” Heehyun asked in surprise. When Nayoung nodded, Heehyun tried her best not to hit her best friend. “You could just let Ong deal with it, you know.”

“I know, but I don’t want to. I have to be there. I can’t let him face the crazies alone,” Nayoung said weakly, eyes closed and looking tired. Heehyun swallowed back the nagging she was about to give. “Enough about me. I don’t want to recall what happened yesterday. What about you?” Nayoung opened her eyes again.

“What about me?” Heehyun raised an eyebrow.

“I saw the news before the meeting started. So you finally settled with her?” Nayoung managed to let a small grin. “Congrats, Hyun. I’m happy for you.”

“Congrats? Happy? What are you talking about?”

Nayoung stared at her best friend. “...You are with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter