Chapter 5

Bride of the Phoenix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun was seated at the head of a rectangular table, his right side empty, left for the emperor. He was at a pavilion surrounded by shimmery clear water and beautiful flowers, located at the palace gardens. Kyungsoo was at his right while Jongdae was standing by the wall along with other servants, heads bowed. There were also other occupants at the table, 4 in total, excluding Kyungsoo. They all had hard expressions on their faces and that was making Baekhyun shift uncomfortably in his seat, eyes down at the table.

It took awhile for Kyungsoo and Jongdae to settle their argument, despite the former trying to hurry Baekhyun. They made him try on many different robes and accessories, dragging him to and fro around the large wardrobe. He was now dressed in a heavy navy blue robe, the design of silver clouds matching with his pale skin and black hair. His sleeves were a little long, reaching past his fingers, but he liked it that way, it made him feel safe for a reason unknown.

"Where's Chanyeol?" Asked Kyungsoo, mildly annoyed. "We've been waiting for a while now, even Junmyeon is here."

A man with black hair softened his features, making him look younger and turned to look at Baekhyun, as if to convey an apology. "Lady Sandara caught up with him."

Baekhyun figdeted with the hem of his sleeves, still looking down. Of course he knew that Chanyeol could have others he would rather be with, he didn't have to dedicate himself to one person. Baekhyun knew that, of course he did, he had to.

Heavy tense silence draped over the table, no one moving an inch and staring at the table in front of them. Getting unbearable, Baekhyun lifted up his head, his movement catching the eyes of the men gathered. He offerded them a small forced smile, trying to express he didn't mind Chanyeol was with another person. Just because he'll be the bride and future empress, it didn't mean Chanyeol couldn't have any concubines. Just because Chanyeol showed affection to someone who hadn't had any, it doesn't mean he has to stay by Baekhyun's side at all. Just because Chanyeol comforted Baekhyun for awhile, it doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't tell Chanyeol who he should be with or not.

"It's alright, we can wait a bit more, can't we? His Majesty can take his time." Baekhyun spoke softly, eyes lowering back down due to the attention. Kyungsoo clicked his tongue, disapproving of his words.

"You're too soft, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun merely smiled, he knew he was too soft for this.

"Let's chat about something while we wait longer then." Kyungsoo moved around to sit in a better position, which ended up leaning against Jongin who sat at the table beside the smaller. "Tell us about yourself."

"Um..." He began hesitantly. "I'm Byun Baekhyun, I am 23 years of age and I live near the western borders..." 

"That's far out of here, isn't it?" Noted a tall stoic man, who was possibily even taller than the emperor himself.

"Yes... That's correct."

Kyungsoo blinked his eyes, a blank look on his face. "23? That makes you the youngest then. I mistook you of someone younger."

Baekhyun blushed, a soft pink spreading across his cheeks.

"What about family? Do you have anyone waiting for you at home?"

Baekhyun smiled albeit sadly. "They died during the usurping." He knew he was sitting with people who killed hundreds of lives, including the previous royal family. He should be fearing for his life, after all, it was technically their fault that his parents had been killed.

"Our sincere condolences." Kyungsoo bowed his heads, the others present following, even the servants. 

Baekhyun shrunk, he wasn't use to this much respect towards him. "Thank you..."

They all raised their heads, a man with sharp cat-like eyes speaking this time. "Do you hold any ill feelings towards us?  If so, we might have to ask you to leave the palace."

"Minseok! Don't treat His Highness like that!" Junmyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter