Chapter 17

Bride of the Phoenix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soft, was Baekhyun’s first thought as he drowsily wakes from his slumber.

 

He wiggled around, in pain when he accidentally put pressure on his injured wrist. He realised he was on a very comfortable bed, a thick blanket covering him and embracing him in warmth. Something heavy draped over his waist and he blindly d to feel what it was.

 

A startled gasp fell out of his mouth when the hold tightened and he was pulled into a firm chest. Opening his eyes wide, Baekhyun’s jaws dropped when he noticed he was in Chanyeol’s grasp. Baekhyun whimpered as he struggled to move away, embarrassed of their position.

 

“You are awake…”

 

Baekhyun shivered as Chanyeol whispered above his head. The voice was so deep and husky from sleep, it affected Baekhyun in ways it should not.

 

“Your Majesty!” Baekhyun cried out when Chanyeol flipped them over until Baekhyun was the one lying underneath him.

 

He squirmed as Chanyeol took in the sight of him, strong arms barricading his head. The intense gaze was too much for Baekhyun that he almost turned his head away if it weren’t for Chanyeol’s hand landing on his cheek.

 

Chanyeol thumbed his cheek in a loving manner. “I will not let you go ever again.”

 

Baekhyun flushed at the promise, making a noise akin to an agreement.

 

“You were asleep for so long.” Chanyeol mumbled. “You deserve all the rest you need, little fox.”

 

A number of emotions ran through Baekhyun. He felt so cherished by the emperor it brought tears to his eyes. The time he was away, all he could think of was Chanyeol. Whether if the emperor was worried for him, whether he found his replacement, or whether he stayed with Sandara.

 

But seeing Chanyeol be like this to him, being so angry for him, being so concerned and actually seeing the concern in his eyes, it made Baekhyun hope. Hope that Chanyeol genuinely cared for him.

 

“T-thank you…” Baekhyun murmured, wiping the tears in his eyes.

 

The emperor lifted his hand, tenderly placing a kiss on his knuckles, dark eyes boring into his own. “From this moment, I would do anything to keep you safe.”

 

---

 

Baekhyun sat in the large bathtub, having awoken a second time without the emperor. He was dejected when he saw that Chanyeol had left, but he couldn’t do anything about it, he was still at a loss to where he exactly was. Deciding to take a much needed wash, he found his way to the bathing area while struggling.

 

Feeling the warm water on his skin, Baekhyun sighed, relaxing further in the wooden tub. He scrubbed all the dirt and grime with a cloth, wincing when the water turned brown. He washed his hair as best he could with the now filthy water. He didn’t like the luxury he received in the palace, but he sure was missing the expensive scented body wash and oil.

 

He rose from the water, finally as clean as he could be with limited water. He picked up his robes and promptly dropped them. He didn’t realise they were that dirty, he can’t believe he slept next to the emperor with those.

 

“What am I going to do?” He worriedly asked himself, pacing back and forth. He didn’t have anything else to wear at all.

 

He cautiously exited the bathing area. He had a solution, but he hopes Chanyeol won’t behead him. When he saw that no one was there, he made his way to the big wooden closet, where the emperor’s clothing was.

 

Baekhyun opened the closet and sifted through military outfits and silk robes, wanting to find something comfortable to wear. He pouted when there wasn’t anything, so he picked a plain looking silk robe, navy blue in colour with silver linings.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter