Been Waiting For

EUNKANG COLLECTION

Firstly, I am not so sure about this one. This was just written on a whim. tell me what you think of it? nvm. haha! I couldn't even think of  a nice ending.  xD

English is not my first language. I apologize for the errors.

 

It was 4 o’clock in the afternoon when a loud crash was heard in the middle of the city. People looked on the road and saw a red car and a truck. The car was smashed on its right side. It was hit a by a four-wheeled truck who tried to catch up the green light but it turned red before the driver can stop and hit the brake. The red car’s driver just ended talking to someone when the accident happened. He just started accelerating when his car was hit by the truck. The right side was smashed, windows and windshield are broken, the driver was unconscious and had blood running down his face as he was being taken by the medic, the police were also there, who responded quickly when they were called about the accident. The driver of the truck named Jin Dong Yu tried to run when it fully entered his mind that he might have just killed someone, but he was not fast enough, the police caught him.

The medic team struggled to revive the patient but when they did, they immediately put an oxygen mask on the patient and monitored his vital signs as the ambulance made its way to the hospital. Doctors were on standby at the entrance as they waited for the medic team to roll down the bed carrying the patient.

The doctor was ready to assist and to instruct everyone but when he saw the face of the patient, he gasped “Oh my god, Kang Sunghoon!” the doctor fearfully shouted, stepping backwards as he did.

“Doctor Eun, we need to hurry the patient has lost so much blood.” One of the nurses said.

Putting aside his fright, Doctor Eun said with authority “Right. Faster.” On the way to the emergency room, the doctor has been shouting “Move, move, move!” to the people who are blocking their way. He was more emotional than before, one thing that the nurses has noticed but they didn’t point that out. He was about to enter the operating room when Doctor Jang Suwon came out and ushered the nurses inside.

“Move aside, I am incharge of Kang Sunghoon-ssi.”

“, Suwon! Who are you to tell me to move aside? And you can’t tell me I can’t be Sunghoon’s doctor because of my relationship with him. How about you, you know him well too! I am going to save Sung—”

But Doctor Jang only calmly looked at him in the eyes as he said “I will not allow you to operate on someone when you are shaking.” Doctor Eun Jiwon opened his mouth to say something but noticed his hands are shaking, he is in fact shaking. The nurses called for Suwon. He knows time is running so he took Suwon’s hand in his own shaking hands, looked him in the eyes and pleaded, voice breaking “Please Suwon. Please save him. Please.” Jang Suwon nodded as he went inside, the OR room closing behind him.

Eun Jiwon paced back and forth. He had called for Sunghoon’s family as soon as Suwon started the operation. He still cannot accept the fact that Sunghoon is inside, being operated on. He just talked to him a while ago, didn’t he? Telling him he is on his way to the hospital. Was it his fault? No. Kim Jaeduc, one of their friends who is a police officer has called him and told him the news about Sunghoon. He just didn’t tell him as soon as he recognized Sunghoon’s red car, because he himself was shaking when he approached the car. “Don’t worry, hyung, we have caught him.” he said, talking about the other driver.

“Jiwon oppa.” Jiwon turned around and was greeted by Yoonji’s and her mother’s crying face. “How is Sunghoon oppa?” he went near them and hugged them both. “Still being operated on. It’s alright, he is strong, he can make it. And it’s Suwon we are talking about. They’ll be finished soon.”

But it took three more hours before Suwon went out of the room. Jiwon felt dread because he couldn’t read what is on Suwon’s mind. But Suwon smiled slightly at him and he released the breath he didn’t know he has been holding. “He made it. But we still need to monitor him for the first 12 hours, it is still risky.” Suwon said to the family of Sunghoon who stood right beside him. Suwon clapped him on the back as he heard Sunghoon’s mom saying “Thank God” all over and over again. Slumping on the bench outside the OR, he calmed himself down.

“Thank you God.” he mumbled softly.

 

--

It was 8 o’clock in the evening when Sunghoon was rolled out from the operating room to his own room. All these times he was there to assist the nurses but he was eerily quiet and emotionless compared to the Eun Jiwon that they had witnessed earlier. He let Sunghoon’s family to look at him first. They went home an hour after, saying goodbye to him, they told him they’ll be back in the morning.

It was just then that his mask broke. With a painful expression, he went near the bed of Sunghoon and carefully held his hand. He broke down.

“You idiot.” he chastised. “Thank you for not giving up. What would I do without you?” he questioned, voice breaking. “Thank you thank you thank you for not leaving me. Sunghoon-ah, what would happen to me if you didn’t make it? I love you. I love you so much. Please don’t leave me.”

He can feel his hand was wet with somebody’s tears. He knows because he can hear someone crying and his hand felt so warm. But he felt so so tired; he couldn’t open his eyes so he went back on sleeping.

Sunghoon was dreaming.

Flashes of memories playing on his mind as he sleeps.

*

“Hoon-ah!” Little Jiwon called with tears on his eyes “You said you will never leave me!”

Little Sunghoon suddenly cried, shocking Jiwon. “I do not want to be apart from hyung!”

“Arasseo. When the time comes, I’ll come and get you. Or you can come and get me.” Jiwon said, wiping his tears away.

“I’ll come and get hyung.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.” He said, entwining their little pinky fingers together.

“Don’t forget about hyung, alright?”

“I won’t! Hyung and Sunghoonie will be together again.”

“Promise?”

“I promise, hyung.”

 

*

20 years have passed; Sunghoon came back to Seoul with his family. He had forgotten how it feels like to live in Seoul. It has been so long. He couldn’t remember anything when he was still living here.

One day he was on a shopping spree when a stranger who looked familiar called him. “Kang Sunghoon?” he turned around and saw three people standing an arm away from him. He looked around, hoping it was not him they were talking too. “Kang Sunghoon?” the person in the middle asked again in disbelief, not really believing that he is seeing the real thing. But he questioningly stare at him. “Uhh, do you know me? I’m sorry I don’t know you.”

“So you have forgotten.” He mumbled as he sadly gazed at him. “By the way, it is good seeing you in Seoul again. I’m Jiwon. We used to live in the same apartment building before, uhm, 20 years ago, I guess.”

“Oh! I’m sorry if I have forgotten about you, Jiwon-ssi. I couldn’t fully remember things and people I met back then when I was small. How about you guys, do we live in the same apartment building too?” he asked, his social skills acting up.

“Yes, we all live in the same apartment building before!” The bubbly looking one on the left side of the solemn guy stated. “I’m Jaeduc. You used to call me Duckie-hyung.”

“And I am Suwon. You can just call me Suwon. Well, you used to call me Suwon too.”

“Wah! It’s amazing how you guys can still remember me! I’m really sorry for not remembering you guys. But I might have seen your faces before no wonder you three seem familiar.”

“Do you want to have a cup of coffee with us? Our treat.” Jiwon asked, hopeful the he would say yes.

“Of course!”

 

 

*

“Why won’t you tell him, hyung?” he once heard them talking at the hospital. He was visiting them when he figured to just surprised them but seems like he was the one who was surprised. “You have been looking for him for 20 years. Twenty long years!”

“Let’s stop this topic, Suwon-ah.”

“Hyung! What topic?” He asked though he knows it is related to him. It has been five months since they have rekindled their friendship though in his side, they just started their friendship since still he can’t remember. He has seen photos of them on his album though so he knows they were really his friends when he was a child. Especially Jiwon, in each photo, he is always clinging to Jiwon. He just laughed it off but now, it seems like he can’t just laugh it off now.

“Nothing, Sunghoonie.” Jiwon smiled a sad smile at him. He hates that smile on his. He pouted, making him laugh. “Really, nothing. So, how’s work? Why did you come here instead of going home?”

“What? You don’t like it? Okay, I’m going home.” He pouted again, turning his back, he was ready to walk away when he heard Suwon.

“Yah, before you go, give us that food dangling on your hand. That’s ours, right?”

“Aish, you.” He shook his head, laughing .

 

*

Jiwon was with him as he visited his mom and Yoonji. Their Sunday’s has always been like this. Sometimes they’ll be with Jiwon’s mom too. But today, it is just the two of them visiting. He glanced at Jiwon and tried to calm his racing heart. He has been feeling weird when it comes to Jiwon lately. He tried to decipher the feeling he has for the older but still couldn’t understand it. So he just go with the flow.

But Yoonji caught on his feelings and she tried to talk to her brother.

“I don’t know.” He said once she was asked what’s she feeling towards Jiwon.

“Tell me, oppa. I might be able to help.”

“It’s just, my heart flutters when I am with him. I feel so alive when I can see him smiling.. and it makes me smile too. I do not want to see the look of hurt in his eyes. I just want him to be happy and—”

Yoonji squealed. “What!? What!?”

“You are in love, oppa.”
 

“WHAT?!”

 

*

After that talk with Yoonji, he tried to avoid the older. He became aware of his surroundings, of everything when he is with the older and he is not yet ready to face it, to face his feelings so he tried to ignore Jiwon’s call and texts.

But it seems like Jiwon has enough of him avoiding him, because one night after work, he went home only to see the older waiting for him at the door, with a determined look on his face. His heart flutters again when he sees Jiwon but that’s not his problem as of the moment, because it looks like he had anger the older.

“What is your problem?”

“What is what, hyung? Oh, long time no see, hyung.”

“That’s just it. What is your problem, Sunghoon? You just suddenly disappeared. You won’t even answer my calls or my texts. Did you get tired of us?”

“No, that’s not it hyung.” He said, his lips “How do I say this that it won’t sound weird.” He mumbled to himself.

“What?” Jiwon asked, voice rising.

“Let’s not talk here, let’s talk inside shall we?”

Jiwon sat on the sofa as he looked at him pacing in front of him, saying “Okay, you better start speaking now Kang Sunghoon bef—”

“I like you. I talk to Yoonji about it and she put some things on my mind and I got scared and embarrassed and I don’t know. I shouldn’t be feeling this way towards you hyung because why would I feel this way towards you? I mean I am in love!? Why does my heart flutters when I see you? Why do I suddenly smile when I see you smile. I do not want to see you hurting. And it’s my first time feeling this way so I got scared and embarrassed and I—” he was engulfed in a hug by Jiwon.

“Calm down, Sunghoon.” But he can clearly hear him smiling.

“Are you smiling? Why are you smiling.”

“Calm down first.” He said again, caressing the younger’s back. “Are you calm now?” he asked softly, he felt the younger nodded.

“How does it feel to be hugged by me?”

“Hyung, this is not funny. Can’t you feel my heart is about to burst!?” he honestly said making the older laugh. But Jiwon just tightened his hug to the younger.

“It’s alright.” He sighed. “Don’t you know how long I have waited for this moment to come?” he mumbled softly.

“What?”

“What I mean is, I like you too. I am in love with you too.”

And it made Sunghoon’s heart soar. It made him happy. He entwined his hands on Jiwon’s back and buried his face on his neck, smiling. “Why are you smiling?” Jiwon asked with a smile on his own face.

“I am just happy.”

“I am happy too.”

 

*

After a month of being together, Jang Suwon finally caught on.

“Finally.” He once told him when he visited Jiwon on the hospital.

“What finally.”

“I know you know. I’m happy for the both of you.”

“Thanks, Suwon-ah.”

 

*

“I love you” he whispered as he reached his

“I love you too” with one last , Jiwon spilled inside him.

 

*

“Mom, Jiwon and I will be celebrating our 1st anniversary at home tomorrow.”

“What, do you want me to cook?”

“No, I’ll just cook mom, just tell me what to do. I’ll go home today to do some grocery.”

“Aigoo, my sweet baby~”

“Yes yes, goodbye mom.”

 

*

“Jiwon-ah~”

“Yes, my hoonie?”

“I have told mom that we are going to celebrate our 1st year anniversary at home tomorrow. I’m going grocery shopping today. Do you want to come?”

“Of course I will. Will you cook for me?”

“That’s a given.”

“Yes!” Sunghoon laughed at that. “By the way, I’m on my way to see you. Goodbye, love. See you later.”

“See you later, love~”

 

---

Jiwon woke up to someone patting him on the back. He looked up to see Sunghoon still sleeping, he turned around to see Suwon with a smile on his face.

“While you were sleeping, he had woken up. But I wasn’t been able to talk to him because he closed his eyes again. He is not in danger anymore, hyung.”

“Thanks Suwon.” He gratefully said to the younger. “Really, thank you.”

“Just doing my job as his doctor.” Suwon said as he went out of the door.

Jiwon leaned in and kissed Sunghoon on his bandaged forehead. “Happy 1st anniversary, love.” He whispered, tearing again. He kissed Sunghoon’s hands next and then his cheeks. Sunghoon still has an oxygen mask on his face so he cannot kiss him on the lips yet. “I love you.” He said, taking Sunghoon’s right hand in his and kissing his palm.

“I love you too.” a weak reply was heard. He looked up and sees Sunghoon blinking his eyes at him.

“You are awake! Wait, I’ll call a doctor. Oh, I am a doctor. Oh hell, I’ll just call Suwon here, alright? Wait for me. Oh right, I can just push this button.” He all said in a haste, making Sunghoon laugh weakly.

“Are you alright, hyung? Calm down a bit.” he mumbled, Jiwon leaning down a bit to hear him speak.

“Yes, I’m alright.” He muttered, eyes tearing as he did. “I’m alright.” Kissing him on his cheek. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m sorry I made you wait for so long, I’m sorry I have forgotten about you, even though I promised…” he looked at Jiwon who was confusingly looking at him. “But here I am now. Even though it took me 20 years to come back… I did say I’ll come and get hyung, right?” Jiwon laughed and laughed but it became a sob in the end.

"Thank you for waking up.” He said, voice wavering.

After he said that the door opened and Suwon came in with two nurses. Suwon took his time to check Sunghoon at the same time smiling at him as he said thank you.

Jiwon stood in the corner, looking with a gentle smile on his face. All of his worries and nervousness are gone. Once Suwon was done, he went beside the younger again, taking his hands on his.

“I’m tired, hyung.”

“Sleep for now, I’ll be right here when you wake up.”

“Thank you, hyung. I love you.”

"I love you too." he kissed his right hand again. "so much."