SAY [Part 1]

EUNKANG COLLECTION

Thank you for Indiiea for letting me post this cute family pic

 

“Seungyoon-ah, stop that” Jiwon said to his youngest son who is playing with his older brother’s foot, Seunghoon, who is laughing while saying “Stop” to his younger brother. The sound of the door being opened echoed in the living room and they all looked up with big smiles. “Uncle Sunghoon is here!” the children shouted as they hastily stood up to meet the said uncle.

Sunghoon has been babysitting the Eun twins a month after Jiwon and his wife got divorced. Jiwon wouldn’t let his ex-wife have the custody of his sons knowing she cannot take good care of them, with her being a workaholic and after all it was mainly Jiwon who have raised their children since they were two, the time when he couldn’t take his wife’s true colors anymore. She is a cold mother towards her sons and always brings up the topic of what could have happened if she was not impregnated early by Jiwon which Jiwon would always rebuttal of “you gave in to me!” They got married because of their parents but now, they just want out, for her wife, she wanted out in their life and for Jiwon, he wanted to be away from her and start anew. If only their parents didn’t insist on them getting married that time, marriage is not always the solution, he reasoned out but his voice was not heard. He had loved his girlfriend that time but she changed when she got pregnant and Jiwon has endured all of her changes, hoping it is only because she is pregnant, and hoping for the best of their relationship as husband and wife but it only got worse when the twins came. But still Jiwon endured. He only had enough when his wife started hanging out with other people, as if she hasn't have a family waiting for her at home. She is always at work and will only be home when weekends. The twins barely had memories of their mother caring for them. One night, he waited for her to come home and when she did, he presented the divorce paper to her which she happily signed. Jiwon couldn't even believe she was just waiting for him to get the divorce papers.

Jiwon was looking for a babysitter when he volunteered. It was just a coincidence, really, —them being neighbours when Jiwon and the kids moved to the Lee apartment complex and him being free because his work as a singer on a bar is only at nighttime so he has his morning and afternoon free to look after the kids until Jiwon would be back from work. As neighbours, they clicked on their first meeting so Jiwon already trusts him to take good care of his sons. And him having a good reputation as a resident of the Lee apartment only made sure of Jiwon's decision.

Jiwon, at first, didn't let Sunghoon because he will be wasting his good night sleep for his sons knowing how he worked late at night but Sunghoon insisted, "It's better me than anyone else you don't know. They like me, you like me guys, right?" he asked the children which received with a loud "Yes! So much!" and he added "Also, you are paying me, right? And I can always sleep at the weekend. I always do."


"Uncle Sunghoon!" the kids chorused as they went to hug each leg of Sunghoon. Sunghoon laughed at the actions of the 5 year old twins. It is always like this when he would enter their house, might be their dad who taught them how to annoy him because he is always smiling. Sadly, he could only say the twins look cute, he is not annoyed at all. Speaking of the dad, he was just sitting at the living room, clad on his business attire as he stood up to greet him as well.

"You are early today." Jiwon, with a smile, said as a greeting. Sunghoon raised his brow at the greeting, chuckling.

"I woke up early, hyung." he answered. He went near him and tapped his shoulders "Alright, off you go~ guys come on say goodbye to your dad." he added as he plucked the twins who are still clinging on his legs. The twins laughed but obeyed to Sunghoon "Good bye daddy!" they chorused.

"Goodbye." Jiwon kissed both of them on their forehead and said "take good care of each other and don't do anything that would make Uncle Sunghoon mad, alright?"

"Yes daddy. We will be good." Seunghoon said, smiling with white teeth showing, an arm slinging around Seungyoon's shoulder.

"That smile doesn't look good though." Jiwon said, playfully. Sunghoon slapped him on the arm saying, "And when I have woken up early for you to not be late, aigoo, hyung they are good boys. Okay off you go~" Sunghoon added, almost pulling him out of their house.

"Alright, alright. no need to shoo me out." Jiwon said laughing. "I'll be going now, see you later everyone!"

"Goodbye! Take care~ daddy/hyung" the three people in the house shouted.

As soon as the door shut, Sunghoon asked the two boys "What should we play for today? Hmm~ where should we go for today?" He looked down smiling to see them grinning back at him. "What?"

"We want to go to Uncle Sunghoon's house and play!" they chorused

"I want to hear you sing and play the piano, Uncle. Daddy said you sing and play the peeno" Little Seungyoon said which was accompanied by a nod from Seunghoon, looking expectantly at Sunghoon to nod too.

"Of course! That's alright with me." Sunghoon said with a big smile of his own, excited to sing for the children.

Sunghoon has learned how to live on his own since he was a teen. He had learned it the hard way. His parents died in an accident when he was still a child, leaving him alone in the care of his aunt. A child that grew up without parents, he was raised by his mother’s sister but when she passed away, he has no one left beside him. His life has been hard but despite everything, he has a positive outlook in life. Singing is his hobby, one that his’ and his foster mother’s pastime. She once said to him, he got his skills from his mother, his mother has a good voice too.

Music has been his escape and his best friend. He didn’t want to let go of the only thing that connects him to both his foster mother and his real mother, which is why he is singing in a pub. Even when the pay is not that high, he can still sustain himself, and he enjoyed playing, that’s the only thing that matters to him.

 

---

 

Jiwon came back to an empty house. He got startled at first but decided to look for his sons at the neighbour next door. He tapped the doorbell, waiting for Sunghoon to answer but there is no one answering the doorbell. Another series of ding-dong and Seunghoon’s distinct voice was heard. “Yes? Oh, hi daddy! Uncle Sunghoon is cooking right now. Do you want to come in?” he asked cutely and Jiwon doesn’t know if he should laugh or should get angry at his son. He was about to answer when the door opened, it was Sunghoon. “Kids, greet your father.” He heard feet running then two small people clung on Sunghoon’s legs. “Hi daddy.”

“How did you answer—”

“Oh, they took a chair and climbed on it.” Sunghoon said, shaking his head. “No scolding, I’ve already scolded them.” He added when he saw Jiwon’s disapproving face. Jiwon just sighed and said “This is why they like you.” Which was only answered by Sunghoon’s laugh.

 

“Come in, come in. I just finished cooking for the kids. But you are welcome to eat here too.” Sunghoon said, ushering Jiwon inside his apartment, the kids were already back inside the apartment as soon as he ushered their father in.

"I bought food" Jiwon muttered, raising his left hand, a cellophane of take out food dangling on his hand. "Then this will be ours while the kids eat the food that you cooked."

They settled in Sunghoon's dining room and the kids ate their food in peace, totally concentrating on eating the food that Sunghoon has given them.

"Guess they like it." Sunghoon said, smiling. Jiwon smiled at the sight. and his smile only broaden when little Seungyoon said "It's delicious, Uncle! Thank you! Another bowl please~" Sunghoon laughed at that.


----

After eating, the trio went back to their apartment as Sunghoon got ready for his work.

"Dad, we had a great day because of Uncle Sunghoon." Seunghoon said.

"Yes dad! He sang for us and also taught us how to play the peeno!" Seungyoon excitedly added.
"Pee-a-no" Seunghoon cut in, looking at Seungyoon but Seungyoon didn't even look at him, just continue on talking to their father.  "I am gonna learn the peeno and be like Uncle Sunghoon!"

"No no, me! me! I'll be like Uncle Sunghoon!" Seunghoon countered

Jiwon sighed. "Both of you will be like Uncle Sunghoon. But how about me? No one wants to be like dad?" he asked playing annoyed which the twins only laughed, as they answered him with no one. "No one, huh." And then proceeded on tickling them both. "Surrender! Say you'll be like dad!"

"We'll be like dad! We'll be like dad!" the twins shouted "Stop already dad" they added, still laughing.

"Good. Then go to bed now."

“Yes dad” they chorused as they went to get their pajamas. Jiwon helped them changed their clothes and bid them good night.

He strutted towards the living room with a sigh. Thinking about his day and how a certain someone keeps on invading his mind. It’s ridiculous, he justified. This is different from when he met his ex-wife for the first time. And it is not as if they have just met for the first time. It has been two months since they met. But how come he is feeling this way towards him? This is a first. He is confused and afraid. His sons need a mother not a new father, right? And how come he is feeling this way towards him? Well, he admits he is beautiful, handsome, and is kind, and soft-hearted, and loves the kids and--first and foremost, he is not ready to be in a relationship again. He was so deep in his thoughts that he didn’t hear the doorbell ringing. A knock and the doorbell ringing again disturbed him out of his thoughts. He went to open the door without even looking who it is. Mouth opening wide, he choked on his saliva when he opened and saw Sunghoon in neat black and white attire.

“Do I look weird?” he confusedly asked Jiwon.

“N-no, I just. You look good. Uhh, all the time! It’s just the first time that I, uhh, saw you in uhh your—” he cleared his throat and said again “You look good.”

“Thanks, hyung!” he said, happily smiling at him. He then remembered the reason why he went there in the first place. “Oh yeah, the twins’ toys. They forgot it. Well here you go. Goodbye!” he gave the toys to him and waved, turning around to walk to the elevator, looking at his watch as he did.

Jiwon was left in front of his apartment, still in the door. “I got it bad.” He muttered. “This is bad.”


----