The Prince's Promise

EUNKANG COLLECTION

“I am not the Crown Prince, I said!” Sunghoon shouted angrily at his uncle. “I am not and will not going to be the Crown Prince.” He added, anger still evident in his voice. “So stop adding me into your schemes. I am tired of pretending, Uncle. I am tired. I never wanted the crown. It has always been Jiyong hyung’s crown. Always. You thought you had me in your side, but I am not. I was never on your side.” He ended while turning his back on his Uncle, ready to walk away and leave the life of royalty and to face a new life with Jiwon, together. He had done it. He had said it to his uncle. After all those years of being subservient, he had said what he really wanted to say.

Sunghoon has already exited his uncle’s room and has been talking to his bodyguards not to follow him when a bullet pierced right through his left shoulder blade. Sunghoon was down in an instant, his bodyguards catching him while notifying the others for emergency and to catch the sniper.

Yong Gil went out of his room, staring at the commotion in front of him. With a smile plastered on his face, he said “You should have just agreed, my nephew. You should have just agreed and you might have been still alive right now.”

“Is that a confession?”

Yong Gil was startled to hear that voice, even more from his question. He stuttered a reply, only to be seized by them.

-

“I have promised you, Jiwon. And I chose you. I will choose you. I will always choose you.”

Jiwon kept on replaying what Sunghoon said earlier as he waited for him. Jiwon knew speaking alone to his uncle would take him time but he has been anxious since the younger walked out of his hotel room. He feels somewhat worried, actually. Especially because Sunghoon’s voice has a touch of finality and he looked so serious as he bid him goodbye.

He knows their relationship won’t be easily approved, especially since Sunghoon comes from the royal family. He knows everything will be difficult but still he followed his heart so he promised in front of Sunghoon and in front of Sunghoon’s brother that no matter what happens, he won’t leave Sunghoon, not now, not ever.

His phone rang and it was Sunghoon, he answered it directly with a smile on his face. “Hello, Sunghoon?”

“Jiwon-ah”

“...Jiyong hyung?”

“Are you in your hotel room?”

“Yes hyung” Jiwon couldn’t understand what he is feeling, suddenly he became more anxious when he heard the older’s tired and weary voice on the other end.

“I have sent some of my men right there, please be here then. I’ll wait for you.”

“Hyung where is Sungh—“ the call was cut. He sensed a negative feeling from Jiyong’s phone call but he wheeled himself to stay positive

 

Nothing’s wrong. Nothing’s wrong. Nothing’s wrong.

 

He told himself nothing is wrong but when the car stopped in front of the hospital he knows. But still he told himself to stay calm. But how can he stay calm!? Sunghoon, what the hell happened! He was just, he was just there with him earlier... they were just together earlier this---

“Hyung!” he ran to Jiyong who has been standing in front of the operating room. “Please tell me it’s not him in there” he pleaded to Jiyong.

“He was shot. Im sorry Jiwon-ah.” Jiyong watched as Jiwon shook his head in disbelief, leaned on the wall and slowly crumbled to the floor. “He is strong Jiwon. He will not leave you. He will not leave us.”

He might have said it to comfort Jiwon but it seems like he is comforting himself more. The younger is glad for his words though. He remembered how tough Sunghoon is. And he will not leave him. They promised... Sunghoon-ah you are not allowed to die. You promised me. You promised you will choose me.

As the time ticks by, Jiwon had a flashback on him and Sunghoon’s past.

The time when they first met and become friends...

Another boring day in class, Jiwon thought of sleeping through it all again. But it never happened because it was the day when Sunghoon transferred to his school. The new high school student became the center of attention in class but Sunghoon or known as Ricky, seems to hate the attention. Ricky sat at the back of him, cursing as he did. He knows the language Ricky used that he turned around to face the new guy with wide eyes, only to be met with a sheepish smile and an Oops, you’re a Korean? On which he nodded.

“Hi I’m Sunghoon.”

“Jiwon.”

Shaking their hands, He didn’t know it’ll be the start of their story.

Since then, they were inseparable, wherever Jiwon is, there is Sunghoon. And wherever Sunghoon is, there is Jiwon. They were a package, together. Also, they live together. It comes to the point that Jiwon’s girlfriend would let him choose between him and Sunghoon. He hates it, so much that he always broke up with her afterwards. So is with Sunghoon. When the comparing comes and the choosing comes, he knows it is the time to break up with her. They were both miserable when it comes to their love life, but at least they still have each other to lean on to.

That time when they had a fight...

“Sunghoon, why are you avoiding me?”

“I am not.”

“You are. You have been avoiding me in the school, even in the house. You have been avoiding me.”

“Jiwon hyung, I am not avoiding yo—“

“The hell you aren’t! This is because of your girlfriend right?”

“What?” Sunghoon asked in a small voice

“She came to me, and ing told me to stay away from you. Ha, I was right. So is this it, Sunghoon? This is the end of our friendship, am I right?” Jiwon bitterly said to him, adding “3 years of friendship just because of a girl. Really, Sunghoon?”

“No, no , you don’t understand. No no—“

“Yes, I don’t understand! How come I would understand when you have been avoiding me!? When you don’t tell me anything!? How come I would understand when that girl that just suddenly came from nowhere claims herself as your fiancé and now tells me to stay away from you because I would never understand you? Who the is she to tell me that?” He turned his back on the younger, ready to go out of their shared house.

“Eun Jiwon!” Sunghoon suddenly shouted, made him rooted on his feet. “Don’t you dare leave the house!”

“Who are you to order me around?” he said, still angry at Sunghoon but he became like a deflated balloon when he felt the younger hugged him from behind and leaned on his back, his face on his nape.

“I am sorry. Please, let’s not fight. I won’t avoid you from now on. Seulgi noona is not my fiancé. She is a childhood friend of mine. She is not betrothed to me. We were never betrothed. Please believe me. I—“ he turned around then crushed the younger in a bear hug.

“I believe you.”

When he had an epiphany that he loves the Sunghoon...

Sunghoon was out with his current girlfriend that time and Jiwon was at home thinking how lately he was affected bySunghoon’s girlfriend. At first he thought he liked Sunghoon’s current girlfriend but later discovered that he is jealous of Sunghoon’s girlfriend. He couldn’t understand why. He thought maybe because of how sweet Sunghoon is towards his girlfriend is and how Sunghoon was so attentive towards his girlfriend that he just put him aside. At first, he couldn’t believe he was jealous but when Seulgi told him he is an idiot for not noticing what was wrong with him, he had an epiphany. But he put it aside for how can he fell in love with his bestfriend? He thought he was straight but this happened. This is not happening. No, I am not in love with Sunghoon, he tried to convince himself that he is indeed straight and not in love with Sunghoon by flirting with girls who likes him. He even dated one of them but to no avail, he is really in love. Deeply madly in love with Kang Sunghoon.

That time when they kissed for the first time...

“Where’s your girlfriend, Jiwon?”

“She already broke up with me two days ago. How about you, where’s your girlfriend?”

“You know I have no one right now. And I’m tired with the choosing.” He said, then mumbled to himself “and the one i’m in love with won’t love me back, for sure.”

“Who?” Not knowing Jiwon heard him, he innocently muttered a “huh?” at him. “Don’t play innocent. You surely said those words”

“What words?” he answered, getting up, escaping towards his room.

“Yah, don’t you run away now!”

And then they were running all over the house. 20 minutes later, Jiwon was still in pursuit while he is already tired from all the running so he called out with a laugh “Jiwon hyung, I’m tired! Stop running after me already!”

“Only if you would tell me, who your love is!”

“I didn’t say anything about love, did I?”

“Yes, you did!” And the game went on only stopping at the kitchen table with Sunghoon and Jiwon on each other sides of the table. Jiwon ran and managed to captured Sunghoon. But he only didn’t captured Sunghoon’s body, he also ‘accidentally’ captured his lips.

“I didn’t me—“ he had no time on finishing his sentence because Sunghoon’s lips was on his this time. And he would rather play with his lips than talking right now.

After their sudden lip-locked, they became awkward around each other but Jiwon man up and confessed , with Sunghoon backing him up with an “I love you” of his own.

Eun Jiwon groaned. “” he cursed. “I’m sorry hyung. I didn’t –it was not—I was supposed to—I was—Seulgi noona—I mean”

“Seulgi? I won’t run. Now tell me what’s that girl’s been telling you.”

“Hyung don’t say that about noona.”

“Alright, alright. Now tell me.” He ordered, trapping Sunghoon on the kitchen counter.

“Uh..” Sunghoon muttered, looking at other places but not at Jiwon’s face. “I kinda confide to her what I felt and she kinda told me to kiss you? And that I would know afterwards and that I won’t regret kissing you and that she also told me—“

Sunghoon was talking too fast and Jiwon was just smiling wide at him but then he got serious and then he said, “I love you.”

“—I huh? What did you say?” Sunghoon squeakily said.

“I said, I love you.” He said again, softly, seriously.

Sunghoon was quiet for a while, just looking intently at Jiwon who was also staring at him. He was searching the other’s face, looking for a sign that he was lying but all he can see from the older’s face is his soft smile and the serious look in his eyes that made his heart flutters so much. Then, in a cute and small voice, he also said “I love you” with a smile on his face as he slowly went up to put his lips on the older for an another round of heart-fluttering kisses.

He also suddenly remembered the first date

It has been two months since they have gotten together and been two months since Seulgi went back to Seoul. Jiwon was so happy that they are going out for their first official date since they only have been doing dates inside their shared house. They went to a cafe, ordered their coffees, talked about their day but then he got bored because Sunghoon is in front of him not beside him. He then suggested that they just go home.

“Why?”

“I’m bored.”

“You can’t be. I see I am boring now. Are you going to break up with me now?” Sunghoon dramatically said but Jiwon took his words seriously.

“No! Of course not! I’m just... you should have sat beside me, Sunghoonie, not in front of me.”

“Really” Sunghoon shook his head “My Jiwon is such a cutiepie” he added making the older blush.

“I am not!”

And when Sunghoon had told him who he really is

“I’m Kang Sunghoon.”

“Of course, I know that. Now tell me what that Seulgi is doing here again? Is she going to tear us apart again?” he bitterly asked Sunghoon. Sunghoon can see a hint of fear on his eyes too. He wanted to ease the older but he needed to tell him his secret first. The secret that could tear them if not said. He hoped and prayed Jiwon would still accept him as how he knows him. He hoped and prayed this revelation would not make things hard for them.

“Hyung, I’m Kang Sunghoon, the son of Kang Dong Won and Kang So Hee, half-brother of Kang Ji Yong.”

Jiwon knows them, of course he knows them. He might have been away from Korea but he grew up knowing South Korea. Seeing Jiwon shocked by his revelation, he continued in a small voice “I’m sorry for not telling you who I am. I just don’t know how to say it to you. I came here on my own. I am Kang Sunghoon, with no title, I am Kang Sunghoon alone in here, please hyung say something.” He added when he saw Jiwon closing his mouth, his jaw moving, but not saying anything.

“...Is Seulgi your” Sunghoon was somewhat relieved when Jiwon asked him about his Seulgi noona instead of him being a royalty. But still, he knows Jiwon is just trying to take things slowly.

“No.” He answered directly. “Seulgi noona is betrothed to Jiyong hyung. She first came here to persuade me. She wanted me to come home, but I do not want to.”

Jiwon became afraid, is she going to take his Hoony away from him now? “Is she going to take you—“

“No hyung. Nobody can separate me from you. No one, not even Jiyong hyung, not even my uncle.”

He felt elated when he heard those words from Sunghoon. His fears have been defeated by the younger’s words. Relieved and weak on the knees, he leaned on the wall of their bedroom. Fighting with Sunghoon always takes so much of his strength, partly because of fear and partly because of the anger he felt as of the moment.

Their first night together ...

Their day start sweetly with lots of kissing and hugging from each other. Even when Sunghoon was cooking, Jiwon was glued on his back.

“What do you want to do after eating?” Sunghoon asked

“I want to do... you.” He answered seductively, the junction between his shoulder and neck.

“Jiwon.”

“All right all right. I know, rest. I want to rest.”

“Prepare the table now so that we can start early and have some y time for the whole day.”

“Really!?” Jiwon exclaimed. “Yes! y time!”

“Firsts should be romantic though.”

“Hoony-ah, you know I am not romantic.”

“Our next –“the doorbell was heard. Someone was at the gate. “Ill get it.” He said to Jiwon with a wink and a flying kiss.

Jiwon was thinking on how to make their lovemaking romantic for Sunghoon when he noticed the younger has been on the door for a minute now. “Hoony-ah” he called as he walked to the door only to stop on who he sees on the door with Sunghoon. Isn’t that the crown prince? He stuttered a word, anything to say, gladly Sunghoon was there to catch him up. “Hyung, this is my boyfriend.” He coughed on his spit, goodness this is not what he was thinking Sunghoon would tell! But he is happy because Sunghoon did not deny who he is in his life.

“I know.” Another cough from Jiwon. What’s with this siblings!? But of course, he would know. Jiwon straightened up, ready to talk something when Sunghoon answered his hyung which made him think it is better to let the siblings have this talk first.

“So I was right. Seulgi noona was sent by you. How could you sent your fiancé--”

“We were just worried about you, Sunghoon. I was supposed to come here but Uncle suggested--”

“Uncle?” Sunghoon answered with a hint of fear that was noticed by Jiyong and Jiwon.

“Wait, are you here to bring him home?” Jiwon butted in, ”because Sunghoon is an adult, he kn—“

“Jiwon hyung, please let me talk to my brother first.” Sunghoon hold his arm, calming him down. This is what he fears the most ever since Sunghoon told him who he really is. This cannot be happening. Jiwon watched as the brothers walked towards the gate where a car is waiting. He watched as they talked, deciphering their facial expressions is the only thing he can do but even that, he cannot do because the siblings are good in masking their expressions. His heart was thudding loudly in his chest as he watched Sunghoon. Will a beautifully started day ends with separation? I cannot make it happen.

Jiwon was still watching when Sunghoon bid his hyung goodbye. And Jiwon watched the younger as he slowly approached him. One look on his face, his heart shattered.

“No you’re not.” Jiwon said with a lump in his throat. Sunghoon didn’t say anything instead he dived in for a kiss but Jiwon didn’t answer his kisses, instead he said. “I won’t let you.”

Answering Jiwon, he said “It’ll only be for a few days. I’ll be back. I won’t leave you. I told you nobody can separate me from you, right? Well then, here’s a promise. I will come back, always.

“I will not let you.” Jiwon said, kissing Sunghoon aggressively. They are still standing on the door and Sunghoon opened the door so that they can move inside. The breakfast forgotten, they went passed the living room and kitchen.

“Come with me.” Sunghoon proposed. Jiwon answered him by lifting him up, letting him crossed his legs on his waist. They walked to their room, still in a lip-locked. Sunghoon has one of his hands on his nape, massaging it while the other on his scalp, running his fingers on his hair, knowing it’ll make the older turn on. He was right, he was answered with a groan from the older.

Sunghoon only noticed that they were inside their room when Jiwon put him down. Jiwon hastily grabbed his shirt, the younger mimicking his move, then went back on kissing Sunghoon afterwards.

Their first time together was heightened with fear with the fact that they might be separated; their relationship might not be approved by his family.

 

When Jiwon first met Kang Jiyong and Lee Seulgi together in their hotel room.

It was awkward for Jiwon to meet the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess together. He knows he has been treating Seulgi badly, even when Sunghoon told him who he is, there is still that lingering feeling in his childish mind that Seulgi might want to get in between the both of them again. To his surprise, Seulgi apologized about everything that ever happened.

“I’m sorry, I tried to stop your growing feelings towards each other. I knew it was futile but still I tried. I would also like to apologize for trying to tear you both apart. But fate interfered and made you realized how you both feel towards each other, so in the end, I helped you and Sunghoon. Because for once, I want Sunghoon to be happy. And for once, I would like to be able to help Sunghoon. Jiwon-ah, be strong. For many people, especially in our family, would not want both of you together. So be strong and trust Sunghoon. Trust each other. Do not worry, both me and Jiyong wants the best for Sunghoon.”

“Don’t worry. We trust each other and love each other. Thank you, Seulgi. I’m sorry too, I was being indifferent towards you.”

“It’s alright.”

“I would also like to add,” Jiyong uttered, “please stay away from my Uncle. And no matter what happens, stay with Sunghoon.”

“Jiyong ssi, why though? I mean I have met him already. That’s why Sunghoon is not here. He went to meet him, he says he needs to talk to him.” Both the crown prince and crown princess shared an alarmed look and it made Jiwon fear for Sunghoon’s safety. “Why, why? Is he going to beat Sunghoon? Oh my g—“

“No no no.” Kang Jiyong hastily replied. “Uncle would not do that. Not to Sunghoon anyway. I’m sure, he is just talking to Sunghoon.”

“Oh good.” Jiwon breathed, relieved. “Sunghoon said, he raised him up so he sees him as his second father. But he looks up to you the most, Jiyong-ssi.” Jiyong smiled at that.

“I know. He kept on following me when we were little. But there are too many eyes in the palace. Eyes and rules suffocated him. I was not able to protect him.” He said with sad eyes as he stares at Jiwon. “So he ran away from home. And met you” he added with a smile which made Jiwon bashful. “And he is happy now. I am going to do everything in my power to protect him, to protect the precious smile of my little brother.” He ended seriously, still looking at Jiwon. Jiwon felt the powerful words from the crown prince through his heart. And he doesn’t know why but it made him at ease. At ease that everything will be alright.

“And I will do anything in my power to protect the crown intended to the Crown Prince.” A voice added, the three occupants of the room turned around to see Sunghoon looking at Jiyong with determination. They did not notice Sunghoon going in. Sunghoon always has this talent, he moves like a cat, like he is trained to move like an assassin. Jiyong sadly looked at Sunghoon. My poor Sunghoon. Hyung promised to save you.

 

“He is strong.” A voice entered his train of thoughts. Jiwon glanced to his left to see Jiyong, the crown prince, sitting beside him. “Sunghoon has been taught together with me to be a crown prince. But he never liked the idea of having a title. He never liked the idea of getting the crown from me. He never liked it so he always get punished by my uncle.” Jiwon’s heart crushed at the crown prince’s words. “I know that he knows but he never showed that he is in pain when he is with me. I am thankful that he is being positive in life. I am thankful at the same time worried for him. But he always reassured me everything is fine. I am his hyung, so I should know more things than him. But no, he knows more. And he kept them all to himself. You know, sometimes I hate that part of him. That part of him is taking my innocent Sunghoonie away. There are times when I just want him to be happy. Just be himself.”

“Hyung.” Jiwon choked.

“He grew up as my uncle’s puppet but he never showed me how much it pained him, Jiwon-ah. What kind of a brother am I? I grew up only watching from the sidelines. I grew up wishing he would tell me things, to clarify things that I suspect. But he didn’t, Jiwon-ah. What kind of a brother am I?” Jiyong has now tears on his eyes.

“Sunghoon has been trained fully well by my uncle. Did you ever wonder why Sunghoon is so agile and so quick on his feet? Did you ever wonder why sometimes he has this kind of air around him, especially when he is angry?”

“Yes, there are times when Sunghoon is like that but I didn’t suspect anything. He is just gifted.”

“—But Sunghoon doesn’t like the idea of hurting others. My Sunghoon, my little Sunghoon.” Jiyong continued, as if Jiwon didn’t cut him.

“...hyung, he is mine.”

“Well, he is yours now. I know that. And to make things clear to you, he was trained to kill me, by my uncle.” A gasp from Jiwon was all he heard so he continued “but Sunghoon loves his hyung so much that he disobeyed and ran away from home. Since then he hated uncle more than he hated the crown itself. Sunghoon didn’t know that I know. Ever since my grandma was assassinated, we have suspected the one killing our family one by one is near us. Before you say anything, we didn’t tell the media that they were assassination masked in an accident, instead we just told them it was all an accident.”

“When both of you came here three months ago, Sunghoon told me everything just to keep the one he loves the most safe and sound. You almost had an accident once. You might not know it but it was all planned. The reason why you are here is not because of vacation. It is because he chose you. And because he chose you, he wanted to end everything, his connection to Uncle Young Gil. ”

Jiyong watched as tears welled up in Jiwon’s eyes. He watched as he clutched his shirt and cried. Still, the story is not yet done. He knows he needs Sunghoon’s explanation but the younger is still inside the operating room and cannot answer his questions so he needs Sunghoon’s other half to know the truth first before questioning the younger. Yes, he is hopeful that Sunghoon would be alive. He is strong. He is strong.

In his surprise, Jiwon stood up and started walking away, his eyes full of fire. He knows that look. That was the look that Sunghoon was wearing before meeting Uncle Young Gil. He hastily stand up and moved in front of the younger.

“You can’t!”

“Hyung, move away! I can’t – I just want—! He can’t do this to Sunghoon without going to jail! No! Going to jail is not enough! I am going to kill him!”

“He is well taken care of.” That answer stopped the younger but still he looked scary and ready to kill his uncle. “He is already arrested and will be going on a trial for all the wrongdoings that he had done. Sunghoon and I have gathered enough evidence to put him up to jail for the rest of his life. And if proven guilty, will be executed. Right now all we need to do is to pray and stay at Sunghoon’s side, alright? He knows this would happen.”

“What?” That statement appalled him.

“He knows this would happen but still—

“He chose me.”

“Yes.”

“He chose me.”

“Jiwon.”

“He chose me.”

“I know.”

“Hyung” Jiwon cried, “He was ready to die for me. But what would happen if he dies? What would happen to me if he dies? I couldn’t. He is everything I want, hyung. I couldn’t” he bawled like a child in front of Jiyong. Jiyong felt the love Jiwon has for his younger brother. How much he loves Sunghoon was felt by him and it crushed his heart. What would happen to them, if the younger couldn’t make it?

 

After hours and hours of waiting, the operation was done. The doctor assigned to Sunghoon went out to face his family.

“It was successful. We managed to get the bullet out. It misses his heart by mere inches. We will be monitoring the patient during the first 12 hours. Until then, please do call for us if you have questions.”

They exhaled the breath that they were holding. Relieved and happy, both smiled and hugged each other before hugging Seulgi who came an hour ago.

“He made it. That’s our Sunghoonie.”

“Yes, that’s our Sunghoonie.” Jiyong echoed Jiwon’s words with a big smile.

 

Sunghoon was already transferred to a room when Jiyong told Jiwon that he can see him first. Elated, Jiwon smiled to the older and nodded.

Jiwon went near Sunghoon and hold his hand, carefully with tears of relief flowing through his eyes, he said “Sunghoon-ah, thank you.” Jiwon feel as if how much he loves the younger only intensified. “I love you so so much. Thank you for fighting. And thank you for choosing me. I am only going to choose you too. Always.”

 

It took him a day before he woke up. Jiwon was asleep beside him and was holding his hand. Sunghoon smiled gently, and when he remembered that he is now free, he smiled wide. With tears on his eyes, he run his fingers through Jiwon’s hair. “I am free now, Jiwon. I love you.” Slowly, he bent down to kiss Jiwon’s head. Jiwon stirred on his sleep at that, blinking his blurry eyes, he saw a set of white teeth smiling down on him before his mind fully registered Sunghoon’s teary face staring lovingly at him. In an instant he was up on his feet and was embracing him. He was careful with his hug, he doesn’t want to hurt Sunghoon.

“I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you!” Jiwon said, showering the other with little kisses all over his face.

“And I you.” Sunghoon answered, kissing Jiwon gently on the lips. “Thank you, hyung.”

“No, I should be the one thanking you. Thank you for fighting, Sunghoon. Thank you for waking up. And thank you for choosing me.” He ended with a smile but his eyes is starting to tear up.

Sunghoon’s eyes are welling up with tears too. “Thank you for fighting for me too. Thank you for choosing me. Thank you for letting me feel in love and for letting me feel happiness. Thank you for everything you have done to me. I am only giving you what you deserve. And you deserve the whole me. Now that I am free, we can now live freely too. I am guessing, Jiyong hyung told you my story?”

“He did.” He quietly answered “But still I love you. I love you more. Just please please please don’t leave me behind on whatever you are planning next time.”

“Im sorry, i made you worried, didn’t I. Next time, I will."

“You promise?” Jiwon cutely asked, his cute childlike self acting up

“I promise.” And he sealed it with a kiss.