Yoongi

Stranded

Yoongi couldn't sleep. It didn't matter that they were stuck on an island, he just never had a normal sleep schedule. Mix into the fact that they just crashed.... Who knew if he was going to be able to sleep again? The thought alone worried him. He needed his sleep. 

Everyone struggled with sleep as well, but the adrenaline had worn off and they were all exhausted. Jin rested his head on Taehyung's lap again and eventually drifted off. Taehyung's head dipped and soon he was dozing, waking sporadically throughout the night to check on Jin. Jungkook and Hoseok leaned on each other, sleeping softly. Only Jimin, Namjoon, and Yoongi remained awake. Namjoon stared intently into the fire, lost in thought. No doubt trying to come up with a game plan, Yoongi decided. Jimin, on the other hand, kept looking around nervously, like he was expecting something to come jumping out at them at any second. He was tired though, Yoongi could read it clearly on his face. 

"Get some sleep," Yoongi said, "I'm not tired, and our fearless leader doesn't look like he's going to sleep any time soon. We'll keep an eye on things." 

Stirred from his revere, Namjoon glanced over at Jimin and smiled. "Don't worry, nothing's going to eat you." 

Jimin rolled his eyes, but some of the nervousness eased off his brow. He leaned against Namjoon's shoulder, and fell asleep almost instantly. 

Yoongi and Namjoon sat in silence for a long moment. The night was quiet, though the occasional night critter could be heard in the trees. Yoongi glanced behind him and bit his lip. He hoped what Namjoon said was true. In the dark, the forest looked creepy and could hide anything in the shadows. They had no idea what lay among the trees. 

"What are you thinking about?" Yoongi asked Namjoon, as a distraction. 

"What needs to be done tomorrow," Namjoon replied. "I think we need to split up and make sure everything's covered before nightfall." 

Yoongi agreed. They might not have all the survival skills needed, but common sense still worked. He glanced over at Namjoon. The leader's shoulders were slumped over and he looked exhausted. "You should get some sleep as well. We need our leader in tip top shape tomorrow." Namjoon looked like he was about to protest, but Yoongi spoke up again. "I'll be fine. I'm used to being awake in the middle of the night, remember?" 

"Not stuck on an island though," Namjoon pointed out. 

Yoongi shrugged. "I'll be fine. Go to bed, you look awful." 

Namjoon was about to argue again, but a yawn escaped and he rubbed his eyes. "You win, hyung, good night."

Yoongi watched as Namjoon fell asleep, then shivered. It had cooled considerably, the moon hanging high in the sky. The fire was dimming, so Yoongi coaxed the embers a little, satisified when the fire stirred. Then he leaned back and looked up at the sky. There were so many star, it was like a blanket of jewels. They twinkled against the velvety sky, the moon the grand gem. It was pretty, something he didn't see often in the city. If only he could take a picture, but his camera was gone. 

With a sigh, he stood and drifted off to the edge of the beach. It was a weird feeling, being awake when everyone else was asleep. In the city he loved this time, because he could pretend that he was the only person awake in the world. Now, standing on the beach, he truly felt like he was the only person awake. Somewhere, across the ocean, lay Korea. His home. But he felt so isolated, in the absolute dark of the island, that he felt utterly alone. 

Suddenly, his skin tingled, with the sensation of being watched. He tensed, a sense of dread washing over him. It was too dark, and he had drifted further from the fire, so he couldn't make anything out, but the feeling was there. Swallowing, he scanned the area blindly, knowing it was futile. 

A twig snapped.

Yoongi froze, his heart pounding against his chest. He was sure it was so loud that whoever, or whatever, was watching him could hear it. His eyes drifted over to where the others slept. Maybe it was one of them? No, all six were still curled up, asleep. It could be an animal, but that did little to ease his fear. With agonizingly slow steps, Yoongi crept back to the fire. Whatever was out in the trees wanted to remain hidden, but Yoongi didn't want to be out alone any longer. At least the fire could provide some sort of protection if needed. He stepped close and noticed a broken shard of plane embedded in the sand. Hurriedly, he snatched it up, and held it at his side as a weapon. Then he took a seat, facing the trees, his back to the fire. 

And, though he was tired, and his vision wasn't that great in the dark, he swore he saw something lurking next to a tree. It vaguely resembled a person, though it was too dark to see. Yoongi's chest tightened, and he held the shard up for protection. 

****

The next morning, everyone stirred as soon as the sun rose. After the unsettling moment, Yoongi definitely couldn't sleep, so he stood at the edge of the forest when the others woke up. Jungkook rubbed the sleep from his eyes, and the sand from his hair as he regarded Yoongi groggily. "What is it hyung?" 

Yoongi his lips, deliberating. He didn't want to freak them out any more than they already were, but he couldn't ignore what happened either. If he really did see a person, then he would have been able to find footprints. But there was none. And the thing hadn't made a move to harm him, but it hadn't moved at all. Then Yoongi blinked, and it was gone. The sun rose, and there was not a trace of it anywhere. He wouldn't tell the maknaes. No, he didn't want to worry them. And Jin had enough to be worried about with his injury. He insisted he was fine, but still looked like he was in a lot of pain. He would tell Namjoon and Hoseok then. If it turned out to be nothing, then at least they would be the only ones to know. 

He glanced back at Jungkook and smiled. "Nothing, just trying to figure out where to look first." He drifted over to Namjoon and crouched down in front of him. "I need to talk to you. And Hoseok." He kept his voice low. 

Namjoon raised his eyebrows, but nodded slowly. He stood. "We should probably split up to cover more ground." He gestured to Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook. "You three, go find what you can salvage from the wreck. There might be things we've missed because of the fire." He glanced at Hoseok and Yoongi. "We'll go find some food in the forest." 

Hoseok looked nervously at the trees. "Uh...sure, yeah, I'm okay with this." 

Jungkook patted him on the back. "Just stay clear of the snakes!" 

"Snakes...?" 

Yoongi smirked, as Jin approached him and Namjoon. "What do you want me to do?" 

"Stay at camp and watch it," Namjoon said. 

Jin sniffed. "So do nothing? I can help -" 

"Not with that arm you can't," Yoongi interjected. "It's okay, just take it easy. Once it's healed up enough you'll be helping out, trust me." 

Jin was about to protest, but Taehyung came over and pulled him away quickly. Hoseok approached Yoongi and Namjoon, his eyes darting back to the trees. "Let's get this over with...." 

Yoongi grinned. "Always afraid of something." 

"There could be snakes, or scorpions, or something really venomous! Of course I'm nervous!" Hoseok whined. 

Namjoon draped an arm around Hoseok's shoulders and dragged him over to the trees. Yoongi followed them, listening to their bickering, and momentarily was able to forget about the strange figure in the trees. But then he passed the tree, and happened to glance down. His face paled. How had he missed it? Just barely visible, easily missed apparently, but they were there. 

"You coming?" Namjoon called out. 

Yoongi pulled himself away, and found himself trembling. He clenched his hands into fists to stop them from shaking, but he couldn't believe it. 

At the bast of the tree was a set of footprints.

****

A/N: Alright! Apologies for the long wait!!! A nice long chapter for you to enjoy ^^