Chapter 2.1 [Brief Encounter]

And There's You

Chapter 2

 

º

Lord want you to confess to him, that you are a sinner! A liar! A theft! You are corrupt! You are ugly! Everyone say it to your neighbor. You are ugly! You are Ugly!”

As I sat tensed in my seat with disbelief at the Pastor words,  my phone suddenly started ringing. My body jerk at the sudden sound, thinking to myself, that I had already silence my phone before the service began. I guess not. The sound rung louder. As my heart was suddenly speeding up, a voice broke my trance.

“-Answer your phone”  Cheol spoke with his attention ahead at the Pastor.

“-um...I-but-I thought I did,” I spoke in a questioning tone

“Well obviously not, because it’s disturbing everyone.” He replied with his head slightly tilted, our eyes now connected.

My eyes widen and I blink twice, then turned away and frantically started to take my phone out of my clutch wallet. All the while, people’s attention was starting to gather to my direction and I began to feel irritable and disoriented.  Once I got ahold of the phone, I quickly swipe the screen and tapped message. I run through the automatic messages, and then tap on: I'll call you later, I’m in church, then press send. After the message sent, I pressed the power button to shut the phone off, then I slide the heated phone between my thigh and leaned back in my seat. The Pastor words were toned out. I felt restless. Cheol continued to listen ahead. A few minutes later my phone started to ring. I felt completely distraught, my eyes widen as if it could pop out of its socket and I quickly looked down at my thighs. As my heartbeat sped up, I quickly glance at Cheol, who wore a confused expression.

“-Didn’t you?-” he began

“-Yeah, but-” I spoke as I rose up and grabbed the phone, bowing and excusing myself from the roll I was sitting in and quickly walking out into the hall. The ringing was abnormally loud. I could not fathom how my phone came back on and why the volume was louder than the maximum volume of the phone. Just what the heck is going on, I thought. As I thought this, I unconsciously spoke the same thing.

“What the heck is going on?” Nervous and panicking, I searched for the restroom. The church hall was very spacious, which made it harder to collect my thoughts and find the restroom. Impatient at the situation, I walked up to an older man, dressed in a dark navy suit with rectangular rimless glasses on.

“Excuse me, um..um, sorry, do you know where the restroom is?”

“Oh, hello Yoon. How are you?”

“I’m fine, You?”  I said, forcing a smile on my tight lid lips.

“Well, actually we were just talking about you.” He spoke smiling kindly.

So-um, do you-”

“oh, yes," he said smiling widely, turning his head towards the direction of the restroom, while pointing his index finger towards the direction.

“Thank you, Sir,” I spoke hurriedly, before quickly walking to the direction of the restroom. All the while, I tried to silence the phone, but I couldn’t focus and settle my racing heart and frantic composure. Quickly walking towards the restroom, without focusing ahead, I almost passed the restroom and crashed into a black lounge chair. I looked up and caught myself from falling over. I turned my head to look for the restroom and spotted the word men, on the door. Walking backward, I stopped at the door and turned the silver metal handle.  Now inside a stall, I looked at the screen that read, private caller, before swiping answer. My grape tightens as I cautiously held it to my ear. The blood rushed through my brain at an uncomfortable rate, I closed my eyes and listen.

“So you fiiianlly answered. How rude of you, huh?” The man voice spoke teasingly yet completely serious. I did not respond. He continued.

“Hello….hellllo, is anyone there?” he spoke still in a teasing yet terrifying tone. I did not reply.

“Don’t you think it’s rude to answer the phone and not answer it, hmm? I mean a simple, hi- would do. Don’t you think so Hannie?” He said with a sarcastic tone, yet I could sense anger rising from his voice that switched in pitches.

“-Yes,” I said in almost a whisper.

“Then, let me hear you say it-Ha-nii,” he spoke again in the same tone.

The voice flooded my brain with quickly flashing memories. Too quick to grasp and resonate. His voice, it was familiar.

“Um-hi,” I spoke again in a whisper

“Huh? You know you’re whispering right. Speak, so I can hear you, Hannie.”

“Hello,” I said anxiously

“Hello Hannie, how are you?” As he spoke I could tell he was grinning, an ugly grin he probably wore.

“Hello-” I spoke in a breathy voice

“Hello, who, Hannie?”

“---” As I stood glued to the stall wall, grabbing my phone, completely horrified at the situation I was in, I was left speechless.

“Henry?” I asked as my throat quivered

“Correct, that's my smart boy. Aren't you smart, Hannie?” He asked, possibly smirking, with a cocky undertone to his sarcastic yet terrifying voice.

He then continued. “ Remember what you told me to do, hmm?

“...um,” was all that I manage to say

“Hmm, Hannie?”

“I...I-yes?”

“Are you asking me, or are you telling me?”

“I think so, He-henry,” I said as my voice faded off.

“ Remember I said I'll do anything for you, huh?”

“I think so.”

“You think so,” he asked irritated and completely serious

“Yes,” I replied, with sweat slowly forming on my forehead, as my ears and face begin to redden, with the rush of blood to my brain and the fearful pacing of my heart.

“How did you get my number," I asked fearfully

“Ummm...well, that’s a secret. You like secrets don’t you? I know you do,” he said with a soft chuckle.

“-heh-heh, I know you love secrets, you have so many of them.”

“How did you get my number,” I asked in a shaky yet serious tone.

“You know, you’ve been a very bad boy, Hannie. Naughty,” he spoke as he dragged his last word. This sends a quiver down my spine, as my body heat rose all over. I began to feel light-headed.

“You think you can get away huh? You think you can escape huh?! “ he spoke with agitation.

“Henry. Don’t call me again,” I spoke apprehensively, aware of the immense danger of the situation.

“Please, I’m begging you-”

“And what will you do for me?” He said in a flat monotone voice.

“Henry, I’m so sorry, please Henry.” My breath shortens with each word I spoke.

“How’s Seungcheol?” he asked with a light chuckle. “Is he enjoying you, hmm?”

I begin to rub my right eye, to prevent the tears that were starting to settle. The fear in me had begun to consume me whole. My thoughts were filled with horrific memories and taunting voices, as disturbing images came to my mind. They spun around like a tornado. I was sweating profusely.

“How is Choi Seungcheol?” he said once more, this time with aggression rising in his already terrifying hoarse voice.

“He’s fine,” I said in a shaky voice, tearing down and beginning to whimper.

“Are you making him happy?”

“-Yess-yes, Henry.”

“Good boy. You better be giving him anything he wants. You know guys like him have the worst temper when you push them too far-right?”

“Yes.” I was aggressively rubbing my eye. My skin was crawling with disgust, from the sound of his voice.

“You remember right, what we had to go through for you to have him, right?” he asked, back to his teasing tone

“Yes,” I said with a breathy, faint voice.

“Good. Because you’re going to enjoy him and repay my generosity. Every single drop of sweat I pour for you, must be repaid, right?”

“---” I was now frantically crying sliding down the wall to the floor.

“Did you listen to the Pastor word clearly Hannie. The Lord want you to confess to him, that you are a sinner! A liar! A theft! You are corrupt! You are ugly! You are ugly! You are Ugly!” He spoke loudly, like a possessed deranged monster. Repeating word from word, what the Pastor had just said.

I was deeply disturbed. As I sat on the cold tile floor near the toilet, I cried loudly, distraught with fear, anxiety and other emotions I could not describe.

“Cheol!” I screamed.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note:

Hey, readers. I'm dead-tired. I wrote a lot for "page 1 of chapter 2, but hopefully, it doesn't take me long to upload the next page. See you in three days! comments and support are much appreciated. 

Love, 

Mia