32. Red Rose [Bonus 2]

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time Zhang Yixing met Park Hana was in no way a conventional meeting. To be fair, he was very much tresspassing on her property (which he later learned wasn't hers), but all he really cared about in that moment was to avoid the fangirls that were following him from the convienence store. All he wanted was to eat some ramen, and he couldn't even do that in peace. Sometimes he really wondered what made him choose to become a celebrity.

Yixing rolled his eyes as the girls drew closer, and he picked up his pace until he was gently jogging. Well aware of the fact that the girls would start running after him if he just full on sprinted, he quickly looked around, checking for some way to lose them. There were a bunch of stores, but they'd just follow him in, and that would do absolutely nothing. He was nearing an apartment complex, and he had a really, really bad idea. One that could get him in major trouble, but hey, he's a celebrity. Maybe would get off without having to deal with the police?

Oh who was he kidding, probably not.

What Yixing didn't realize, though, was that he would directly run into a cop.

Quickly deciding to be stupid, he sprinted far away from the girls, and they immediately started screeching as they tried to catch up to him. He scanned the apartment building for anyone who had the balcony door open, and he went for the first one that he laid his eyes on. He jumped up and grabbed a hold of the ladder that was hanging a few feet higher than his height. Mentally thanking his personal trainer, he climbed up quickly, jumping over the railing and the flower bed right next to it. Not realizing there was a net blocking the entrance inside the house, he nearly ripped it as he ran into it. Pushing it open, he stepped inside to find a woman staring right at him. She was wearing a white shirt and blue jeans, and it didn't exactly look like she tried to dress nicely considering her hair was slightly tangled, and her bangs were sticking to her forehead. She looked twitchy, as if she wanted to go run a mile to vent.

But she was pretty.

Yixing extended a hand out to her when he realized he was just standing there, panting. "Sorry for intruding, but your balcony door was the only one—" he started, but he didn't get to finish because the woman grabbed a hold of his wrist and twisted it behind his back. She placed the other hand on his shoulder and pushed down. Yixing yelped in pain, and man that hurt.

"Ow, ow," he winced. "Can you please let me go?"

Instead of moving, she asked him a question. "Who are you?"

"If you let me go, I'll explain," he promised. The woman seemed to contemplate that for a moment, hesitating to let him go, but she released him and stepped back, watching him carefully.

She ran her eyes over his body before speaking, "Fine. You have two minutes." Yixing let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. This woman was terrifying, and he was betting on the fact that she was probably either trained in martial arts or a cop. Or both. Probably both.

He was really regretting this decision.

"I saw your balcony door open, and I needed to get away from the screaming girls quickly! This was the first place I thought of! The girls would've followed me into any store I went into," he explained. He gave her a sheepish smile, trying to make sure he came off as harmless as possible. The last thing he needed was to end up in jail. Then he realized he never introduced himself. "My name is—"

"Zhang Yixing," she breathed, recognition in her eyes. She knew him! Yixing mentally fist pumped. At this rate, he wouldn't end up at the police station.

"Oh? You know me?"

"I didn't before today," she mumbled slightly, taking another step away from him. "What did you do to have screaming girls following you?"

To be fair, it was a side effect of his occupaton — he didn't do anything. But Yixing explained anyways, and somehow he managed to ask if she was trained in martial arts.

He hated that he was right.

He also hated that he was right about how she was a cop. Even better, she was a detective trailing someone, and now, not only was he involved, if his publicist found out, she would most definitely murder him, but he was too curious to stay away from the case.

Oh well.

 

~~~

The day was just getting better and better. Not only was his publicist going to kill him, but so would Kris once he found out that he just blabbered on to a detective about where he lived.

Then, he ended up speaking to one of Hana's friends, who he guessed was another detective.

He could just imagine his publicist digging his grave and then stuffing him in it.

But then, he realized that he was technically digging his own grave, his publicist was just going to push him in.

The detective asked him a few questions about Kris's address, and he pulled out his phone to check his messages with Kris. Yixing could've sworn that Kris texted him the address at one point. He searched the messages and pulled up the address. The detective did some checking and asked Hana to guess who lived there, to which Yixing speepishly asking if she had no guesses.

"She doesn't do the 'guessing'. I can feel her glaring at me through the phone," he spoke. Yixing laughed — she was glaring.

The next thing Yixing knew, he was given the job of the precinct's criminal psychologist. Yixing winced slightly, he wasn't expecting to actually get the job.

At this point, he was just envisioning his funeral.

Leaving Hana to talk to her partner, he went out to the balcony and leaned against the railing. He was watching Kris eat fried chicken, and then, he saw something gleam in the light. It was long...and red. Yixing's eyes widened. There was a girl sitting next to Kris with a bloodied knife in her hand. In a panic, he called for Hana.

Now, he was praying that he wouldn't actually end up at his friend's funeral.

 

~~~

He noticed a lot of things about Hana in the short time he spent with her. She had a calm exterior considering that was part of the job description, but she also couldn't control her anxiety. She was often moving around, her fingers twitching. At one point, she was shaking so bad that Yixing thought she was going to have a panic attack.

Hana asked him about her, and he told her the truth about his job as a criminal psychologist. Apparently that was enough to finally gain her trust — at least a bit — because she asked him for help on the case.

There wasn't much he could do, but he hoped that he helped either way.

He was also secretly hoping that she would call him. Unfortunately, she didn't, but the precinct chief did. He had been officially offered the job.

He accepted, and then he called his publicist, ready to hear the scolding, but surprisingly, she didn't mind.

"You have a degree. Use it, as long as it doesn't me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter