8. Nightshade

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chief simply rolled his eyes at Jongin’s antics, but Hana was surprised as well. He rarely doled out praise, and the fact that he had specifically said that to Hana made her feel special.

Hana was startled by Yixing’s voice as he spoke, “Can anyone explain why everyone’s in .jpg mode?”

There was another moment of silence before someone decided to speak up after Myungsoo snorted at Yixing’s choice of words.

“It’s just that Chief Park rarely compliments anyone. And he just complimented Hana,” Jessica spoke in awe. The chief looked away from his team sheepishly, and he was about to deny the statement when Hana could tell the moment that he realized that they were right. Myungsoo, who was watching the chief’s reactions, snickered.

“Probably because Yixing is here,” Myungsoo laughed. Hana just shook her head and laughed as well, realizing that it was a very valid possibility.

“Hey, at least he’s nice enough not to yell at us for saying these things to his face,” Jessica said.

“I’m going to pretend that I never heard it in the first place,” Chief deadpanned.

“What are you doing here?” Hana asked Yixing again. He shrugged

“I was called to watch the interrogation since I had helped out with the whole apartment switch situation,” he replied with a wave of his hand, as if it were no big deal.

Hana squinted at him, scrunching her nose up. She turned to look at the chief, “I didn’t even get to tell you about Yixing, so why…?”

“Uh, I may have explained that,” Myungsoo piped up, holding his index finger up with a small, sheepish smile on his face. Before the chief could reply, the door opened up, and Jongin and Krystal walked in. Krystal was holding onto a folder with SEOUL POLICE written on the front in big letters in one hand, and the other hand had let go of Jongin’s as the two walked in.

Directing his attention back to Hana, the chief spoke, “We’ll go more into detail later, but for now, I called Mr. Zhang to observe how the two suspects behaved considering I did hear about how he was a criminal psychology major.” He finished speaking only to be followed by a sudden intake of breath, and the people in the room turned towards the source.

Hana turned to look at Krystal, and she was trembling. Krystal’s face had gotten paler than it usually was, and she lifted a trembling finger to point at Yixing. Jongin freaked out and grabbed a hold of Krystal’s shoulders, shaking her slightly

“Hey, Krystal? You okay?” he asked. She let out a shaky breath with a short nod of her head. She simply shook off Jongin’s hand and straightened the arm that was pointing at Yixing.

“Zhang Yixing,” she breathed. Hana rolled her eyes fondly at the girl, and she walked over to put her arm down.

“We all know he’s here, Krystal,” Hana laughed, patting her head. Krystal’s arm just shot right back up to where it was.

“Well someone’s starstruck,” Myungsoo snickered.

“Oh shush, do I need to remind you of your random questioning when you found out I was with him in Krystal’s apartment?” Hana chided.

“He was in my apartment?!” The rest winced at her shrill pitch, and Hana found herself being shaken at the shoulders by the girl. The folder laid forgotten on the floor by Krystal’s feet.

Hana winced, her teeth rattling as she went through a vicious shaking. Trying to deflect the blame, she just said the first name she thought of. “Yeah...Jongin can explain.”

“Explain what? I don’t even know the situation! Not to mention the fact that my girlfriend is hard core crushing on someone that’s not me!” he protested. “You should be doing the explaining!”

“Yixing was in my apartment?!”

“Oh my gosh, fine. When I talk to the chief later, you guys can all join in,” Hana bit out, pushing Krystal off of her.

Yixing timidly raised his hand. “Shouldn't I have a say in this?”

Hana’s answer was direct as she looked at the man. “No.” Yixing looked at her with his eyebrow raised.

“Why?”

Krystal was starting to wheeze, and it was terrifying how much effect Yixing had on the poor girl.

“Do I need to bring up the fact that I could’ve arrested you last night?” Yixing opened his mouth to retort, but anything he was going to say was cut off.

“Okay, I’m going to ignore that last bit. Can we move on?” the chief’s strict words bringing them back to the case at hand.

Jongin bent down to pick up the folder, and he prodded Krystal with it in the back until she jumped.

“What?” Jongin didn’t respond, simply passing her the folder. “Oh, right.”

“Uh,” she fumbled with the folder, still stealing glances at Yixing, “so Kyungsoo and I ran the blood on the knife you guys found in the apartment to see if it matched the victim’s blood, and, of course, it did. The only issue is that both Kris Wu’s and Yong Sebin’s fingerprints are on the knife.”

“Kris’s probably got on the knife when he held it after Sebin stabbed Miyeon,” Jessica spoke up, her eyes also on Yixing.

“It won’t be an issue if Sebin confesses, especially since there would be Kris’s testimony,” the chief added.

“But what if Sebin says it was Kris?” asked Yixing, leaning on the desk in the room, arms crossed over his chest.

“You didn’t see the stunt she pulled on Hana back at the apartment,” Jongin spoke. “That girl has guts – attacking an armed detective in front of three other armed detectives. Even if she wasn’t getting charged with first degree murder, she would have been charged with aggravated assault.”

“So basically, she assaulted Hana with the intent to injure,” Yixing asked slowly. Jongin nodded. “And was this place of potential injury the wrist?” Yixing directed that part to Hana. His eyes were on the scratch that had stopped bleeding, but the area was redder than she had expected it to be.

“Yeah…”

“No wonder you’ve been rubbing your left wrist for the past few minutes since Sebin was brought up. I just thought it was another one of the nervous habits.”

“I-wait, you noticed that?” The detectives and medical examiner in the room were surprised to see the criminal psychologist in action. When Yixing replied, he had everyone’s attention, but for that moment, his attention was completely giv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter