30. Ivy

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana walked out of the shower wearing a tank top with shorts while running her towel through her wet hair only to find Yixing laying on her bed, scrolling through his phone while laying on his back, an arm underneath his head. She put a hand on her waist and tilted her head as she looked at her fiancée.

“What are you doing?” she asked, a small smile on her face. Yixing looked up at her and sent her a dazzling smile, locking his phone. He sat up on the bed and motioned for her to come closer. She indulged him and moved towards him. She stood in front of him on the bed, and he took the towel from her hands. Yixing tugged Hana down so she was also sitting on the bed while facing him. They were both sitting with their legs crossed, and he carefully started drying her hair with the towel.

“What I can’t visit my fiancée when I want to?” he replied, sending a glance down at her left hand where the ring glittered from the moonlight shining from between the cracks of the curtains. 

“I was supposed to meet you at the new apartment to finalize the lease tomorrow,” Hana pointed out, enjoying the massage Yixing ended up giving her with the towel. 

“Yeah, well, your house is still more secure than mine is. The crazy fans just don’t stop even after news came out that we’re engaged. It’s like they have no restraint,” he complained with a pout causing Hana to laugh. “And it's more cozy — especially after you got rid of that dumb aquarium.”

Hana rolled her eyes at his complaints. Every time he stayed over for the night, he would be absolutely terrified of the small aquarium that was in her room, so eventually, she just moved it to the kitchen where Yixing wouldn’t be spending much time, and therefore, he would spend less time freaking out every time a fish looked at him.

“Is that why you decided to get married to a detective?” she teased. “So that I could protect you from being mauled by fans? And besides, why would there be fans right now? It’s almost 10 PM.”

“Just let me be,” he grumbled. Hana laughed again, something she’d been doing more and more of over the past two years ever since Baekhyun was finally arrested and sent to a maximum security penitentiary. 

“Go home, Yixing,” she spoke gently when he moved the towel away from her head. He flung the towel onto a nearby chair and plopped back down on the bed in starfish position. 

“No.”

“Yixing,” she warned. He quickly sat up and wrapped himself over Hana, effectively dragging her down on the bed too. Now he was in starfish position on top of her, his face buried in her neck. 

“No. You’re my home.” Hana’s eyes widened at the cheesy comment, but she felt her cheeks redden and heat up anyways.

“Ew, that was incredibly cheesy,” she mumbled into Yixing’s ear. She felt his chest rumble as he laughed. Yixing moved to lay a kiss onto her temple.

“But you love me for it anyways,” he replied extremely proud of himself. “Although, I would’ve liked it better if the first time you told you loved me wasn’t when you were asleep.”

“I can’t believe you would bring that up right now.”

“You literally confessed when you were half asleep! In the middle of the night you woke me up to tell me.”

“I had a long week, okay. And I was feeling emotional.”

“Sure.”

“I will punch you.”

~~~

It was still bright for a Saturday evening as Hana and Yixing walked into Krystal’s — which was now also Jongin’s — apartment hand in hand while Hana held a gift bag in her other hand that was decorated with ribbons and CONGRATULATIONS written in glitter font on both sides. She quickly glanced inside the bag to make sure the baby clothes inside were properly folded, and just as she was about to let go of Yixing’s hand to refold them, he tugged on her hand. Hana turned to him with confusion in her eyes.

“There’s no need to refold them. It’s fine. It’s not like Krystal is going to be able to hold herself back from ripping through the extra decorating paper in there,” he laughed. Hana rolled her eyes.

“It’s not even wrapped.”

“Exactly.” 

The two walked up to the door, and Jongin let them in happily. Immediately, the couple was surrounded by red balloons and purple streamers decorating every inch of the living room in the apartment. All of their friends and family had joined the festivities of celebrating Jongin and Krystal having twins of different genders a year after they had gotten married. 

“When’s the due date?” Yixing asked at one point, trying to distract the conversation away from the fact that the married couple was bringing another pair of the Park twins into the world, and when would the time come for the engaged couple (“Hanxing!”), and the couple that would become Krystal’s in-laws (“Jesswon?”), and the couple that had just begun (“Kyungsoo and Aeri...Keri?”). 

“In three weeks,” Krystal smiled. “It’s so surreal.” 

The conversation then drifted over to the fact that they had chosen to not stick to the traditional pink and blue, and instead gone for purple and red, no matter how badly the colors clashed, simply because the world wasn’t a place for stifling personal choices anymore. Hana stood up to throw away her plate that was once filled with a marbled vanilla and chocolate cake, and Krystal also stood up to hobble over to the kitchen to get some water, which then sparked the conversation of whether or not she should be walking around alone. Jongin replied by saying that no matter what he said, she would be stopped by the fact that she was pregnant; in fact, it only made her more determined to be able to do things herself. 

“Aren’t you worried?” Hana heard Howon ask as she stood in the kitchen, watchinng Krystal drink some water. Krystal was wearing a deep maroon maternity dress, and despite the extra, healthy weight, she still looked as stunning as before the pregnancy. Hana was about to ask where she bought the dress when she visibly saw the change in her friend's expression as Krystal went from smiling to freezing before she grimaced slightly. 

"Uh," Haeun began, "what just happened?"

"I think," Krystal breathed, "that my water just broke." Sure enough, when Hana looked down at the ground, there was a small puddle of water in between Krystal's legs.

"Jongin!" Hana immediately called, holding Krystal up around her waist as she wobbled slightly, probably as a contraction began.

Jongin came running in, asking, “What happened?!” 

“I think my water broke,” Krystal gasped out before doubling over in pain.

Two hours later, the group of friends were still crowding the hallway outside of the maternity room in which Krystal was, joined by Jongin and her mother. The other family members had promised to come back to visit later, but as the other three detectives and actor (who only joined as a criminal psychologist every once in awhile)  had nothing else to do, they stayed. Even Kyungsoo’s girlfriend stayed, although she mainly stuck close to him. They could hear Krystal’s periodical screams, and eventually the screams were consistent enough that the friends knew it was only a matter of time until they become technical aunts and uncles. 

“Oh my god. Who’s going to be the godfather?” Myungsoo suddenly asked. “Shouldn’t it be me since I’m the cousin?”

“Don’t know, don’t care. I just know I’m the godmother,” Jessica replied. 

“How can you be the aunt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter