1. A Single Daffodil

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Honestly, all Hana wanted was for the clock to strike 3AM and her shift to end, so she could send in her report to her chief, go home, and just sleep. Even while walking to her car, she resisted the urge to simply curl up in the back of her car and fall asleep there. It would save her time in going back and forth between her apartment and the venue.

With Seoul Fashion Week upon them and Precinct 828 being closest to the venue, the precinct was ‘chosen’ to send extra police officers for security purposes. This lent itself to the lack of available personnel at the precinct which inevitably ended up with Hana — along with the other detectives — doing shifts around the precinct in addition to their regular work day, and as a detective, her regular work days ended up being much longer than the regular 9-5 schedule anyways. She often found herself working for nearly 10 hours during the day on a case, and then pulling another three-hour shift for fashion week.

Even as a lead detective in the Homicide Unit of the precinct, Hana found herself doing tedious tasks like making rounds around the city that regular officers would be doing. Tonight, however, Hana was stationed at the actual fashion show venue as security inside. She was there for the actual show and the after party. It was an easy job, but it was mentally tiring to simply stand in one spot for a few hours on end while everyone was actually in the venue for fun, and she was there to blankly stare in one spot while making sure she was attentive as much as possible.

After finally getting a chance to go home, she was finally passing out in bed at 4AM, only to be cruelly ripped away from dreamland after a mere 3 hours by her phone ringing loudly.

As a detective, her phone was always on the highest volume for her ringtone, and in that moment, Hana wanted nothing else to throw the phone out the goddamn window, but she resisted the urge burning inside her by spewing out a few colorful curses instead. Sitting up, Hana rubbed her left eye sleepily as she picked up her ringing phone. Looking at the caller ID, she simply sighed and didn’t bother with being nice as she answered.

“What, Kim?”

“You’re always such a delight in the mornings, Park,” spoke a cheery voice who had absolutely no right to be this happy this early. “Sorry to wake you up, but we got a homicide to deal with,” her partner, and the only person she would trust with her life, Kim Myungsoo, continued.

“Of course, it had to be in the early hours of the day,” she grumbled, blowing her brunette bangs out of her eyes.

“I’ll text you the address,” he simply responded before they said their goodbyes. Hana grumbled the entire time she forced herself to get ready, yet again, for a day full of sleep deprivation, social interaction, and countless cups of coffee.

~~~

An officer greeted her as she walked towards the crime scene 45 minutes later, lifting the CRIME SCENE: DO NOT CROSS tape for the two of them as he filled Hana in on the details.

“A homeless man found the body of a female in the fountain in front of Cosmos Hotel around 6:30 AM when he went there to get some water. He called 119 from a payphone and waited for uniforms to show up before he left.”

“He actually stayed to give a witness statement?” she asked, surprised. The officer nodded. Homeless people finding bodies wasn’t rare but was rare was a homeless man actually staying to give a witness statement.

“Did you ID the body?” At this point, Myungsoo had joined her when he noticed her walking with the officer and silently passed her a cup of Starbucks coffee as the officer continued speaking. Smiling at him as he passed her the coffee, he simply returned the smile. She started sipping at it as she listened to the officer speak.

“Not yet. There was no form of ID on the body. Dr. Do pulled the fingerprints, and we were running through the system when there was a system glitch. Officer Son Seungkwan from the IT department is trying to fix it from the precinct.” Hana nodded and thanked the officer before he left to secure the rest of the area from curious civilians that had begun to crowd around the tape now that the morning rush hour was starting.

“Morning sunshine,” greeted Myungsoo with a teasing grin, his eyes without bags and full of life, something Hana envied him for. Hana was jealous that he even had time to get properly ready in the morning, wearing a black leather jacket over a blue T-shirt and black jeans with perfectly styled hair while she was wearing a black coat over a white shirt and blue jeans. She didn't even have enough time to brush her hair, so she just left it loose, her bangs completely flat on her forehead. It was a big accomplishment that she hadn’t forgotten to clip her badge to her jeans.

Myungsoo had gotten lucky with the extra shifts — they were right after his regular shift ended while Hana got the late-night ones. He knew that she wasn't a morning person, and that the late-night shifts weren't making things better, but that didn’t mean that he wasn’t going to about it relentlessly.

“Oh, screw off, Myungsoo,” she grumbled, sipping at her coffee, which was slowly making her more coherent. She had become so used to working on little hours of sleep that her body went on autopilot until she had her morning cup (or cups) of coffee.

“You're welcome for that, by the way.”

“Thank you for getting me the coffee that you owed me for me considering I bought it the last 4 times.”

“Touché.”

Hana just rolled her eyes in response and made her way towards the medical examiner.

“Hey, Kyungsoo. What do you have for us?” Myungsoo asked. Hana waved at Kyungsoo as a greeting as she continued to drink her coffee when the medical examiner looked up.

“Because it’s not a good morning, I’ll just say morning. What I have for you, is a dead girl,” Do Kyungsoo indicated as he gestured towards said dead girl. She was laying on a blanket on the ground in front of the fountain, surrounded by medical tools and a clipboard that Kyungsoo was using to check her body and take notes. Her burgundy hair was still wet, along with her black shirt and denim jeans. The fountain in which the girl was found had turned a dark shade of pink from her blood.

“Thank you for that riveting information,” Hana deadpanned.

“You’re welcome. Investigative division didn't find an ID on her, so I can't tell you her name, but what I can tell you is that she is in her early twenties, and that she has a stab wound in the area of her liver. It isn’t extremely deep though, so she most likely died from bleeding out. There is no splatter on the ground in the immediate two-meter radius of the fountain, though.”

“Do you have a time of death?” asked Myungsoo, also sipping at his own coffee.

“I can't exactly tell you the time since the water was cold which sped up the process of algor mortis, but it's roughly 3AM,” Kyungsoo rattled off as he pointed to the body of the girl.

“Could it be a robbery gone wrong?” Hana asked.

“Well, even though she has no ID, the team found her phone, but it won't turn on. There was also about 20000 won in cash,” Kyungsoo piped up, holding the said items up in a plastic bag, labeled with EVIDENCE.

“Guess not then.” An officer called for Myungsoo who then wandered away from the two to check out the area that he was being called to.

Kyungsoo spoke up again, “Come by the morgue later, I'll update you on anything else I find out from the autopsy.”

“Thanks, Kyungsoo,” she smiled at him and trailed after Myungsoo.

“Did the identification division find anything so far?” she asked him as she threw away the empty coffee cup in a recycling bin. Myungsoo was still sipping at his.

“Nope, they only were able to start canvassing the area roughly 10 minutes before you got here, so basically when I got her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter