14. Rhododendron

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana’s eyes widened, and she felt her heart stopping. She didn’t even notice the chief’s facial expression change as she got caught up in her own feelings. She was used to getting into high risk situations, and even though it was human nature to fear death, they were trained to manage it and hide it.

What she wasn’t used to, however, was getting outsiders involved in these situations. As part of the homicide department, she wasn’t used to dealing with the aftermath of hostage situations. She had never needed to deal with the guilt that other cops from the hostage rescue team had to deal with if the hostage died. Hana idly wondered to herself in that split second what would happen if Yixing died in that moment, all because she was an idiot.

She didn’t think she’d be able to handle another death on her conscious.

Hana slowly turned towards the source of the sound, closing her eyes to prepare herself for what she would see. Hana was half expecting to see a lifeless Yixing on the ground as blood trailed from his skull. She didn’t know what she was going to tell others if he really was dead. It wasn’t even an hour ago that she had said that the police department was going to do it’s best to keep Yixing safe as he wasn’t a trained officer.

Thankfully, when she turned around, she didn’t see a bloody, dead Yixing. He was alive and well, or rather, as well one could be after being held at gunpoint. He was still standing upright, just swaying slightly while he stared at the ground with his eyes wide, seemingly in shock. The man who had taken him hostage was lying on the ground with an officer on top of him. It seemed as though an officer had come up from behind the man and took him by surprise. When the officer had taken hold of the man, the man tried to fight back by shooting the officer, but he missed his target horribly, instead shooting the building behind them. Yixing turned to look at the scene before just sitting down on the road, his head in his hands.

“Oh, thank god,” Hana breathed, a hand coming to cover as she breathed in a few times, trying to calm her racing heart. After she knew she wasn’t going to burst out in tears, she turned back to the chief to give him a piece of her mind.

“Are you crazy?! That man over there,” she spoke as she pointed to Yixing who was now being approached by an EMT, “is a civilian! He was with me because he is a consultant on my case. How dare you consider even not trying to save him? Even if he was a police officer, he is a still a human being. As people of the force, we do not abandon people in need!” The chief looked at her darkly. Hana had just barely met this man, and she was just about ready to punch him in the face.

“And who are you to say this?” he asked her.

“Detective Park Hana of Precinct 828. Lead detective of the homicide department,” Hana responded proudly, staring into the chief’s eyes.

“And what gives you the right to speak to me like that?” he challenged.

“What gives you the right to basically give up the life of a civilian?” Hana challenged right back. The chief glared at her for a few moments before gruffly walking away to deal with the aftermath of the robbery. Hana wished that she could’ve flicked him off, but that would’ve been highly inappropriate to do as he was her senior, even if he was being a huge idiot. She glanced at him working for a few moments before turning her attention back to Yixing and quickly making her way over to him. The EMT had left, and he had now moved so that he was sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, a blanket wrapped around him.

“You okay?” she asked as she sat down next to him. He looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

“Mostly. I’m a little shaken but nothing that bad right now. I never thought that within two weeks of starting, I would have a gun pointed at me. It was an interesting experience,” he laughed good heartedly, but his voice was shaking. He was trying to hide his fear, and she had to commend him for being so brave.

“Good, but don’t even think about repeating it because I was scared out of my mind that you were going to die on my watch. That chief is an .”

“Yeah, I heard you yelling at him.”

“You heard me?”

“You were loud, Hana. I’m pretty sure everyone heard you,” Yixing grinned. Hana winced.

“Oops,” she said.

honestly, I’m in shock.” Hana reached over to rub Yixing’s arm through the blanket, knowing how he felt.

“You’ll be okay. It’ll take some time to sink in, but hopefully, this doesn’t traumatize you too much.”

“I’ve seen worse.”

“You haven’t been in worse conditions though,” she retorted. He didn’t respond. and they fell silent.

“Did you ever call Myungsoo back?” Yixing asked out of nowhere.

“Oh crap!” She went to her pocket to dig out her phone and found that there were 7 messages from Myungsoo asking her what happened and what was going on. She sighed at the upcoming lecture, but she went ahead and went to her logbook to call him. When she dialed him, she expected Myungsoo to launch into a tirade of what she did wrong in the past 20 minutes by ignoring her partner and thinking something had happened. Instead, that tirade didn’t come from Myungsoo. It came from her brother.

“Hana!” Hansol’s voice came through. Hana took the phone away from her ear to check if she had called the right person, but it was definitely Myungsoo that she had called. Yixing looked at her strangely.

“Hansol?”

“Yes. Hansol. That is my name. Where the hell have you been? Myungsoo was worried enough to call me to ask if something was wrong with me,” he spoke in a low tone. Hana flinched. That was his serious tone.

“Look, we got caught up in a car pursuit and a small shootout. Nothing that big.”

“Nothing that big?! Yixing was held at gunpoint!” screamed Myungsoo from the call. Hana assumed that she was in a conference call.

“But he’s okay!” Hana exclaimed. Then she realized that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter