15. Anemone

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica and Hana looked at each other for a quick moment before directing their attention back to the doctor in front of them (who just looked at them confused).

“We’re going to need that address now,” Hana directed. They didn’t have time for a warrant, but it was an emergency, so he agreed. He looked it up from the patient records and quickly scribbled it out on a piece of paper. The two detectives thanked him and left, but not before Jessica leaving him her contact card. Hana called Myungsoo to let him know what they had found as she had no idea where they were on the floor.

“So, what was up with you and that doctor?” she asked while the phone was ringing. The two stepped into the elevator. Jessica smiled slightly despite the sense of urgency in the air.

“We dated briefly back in high school.” Hana was going to ask her to elaborate, but it was all forgotten once Myungsoo picked up. She repeated what the doctor had told the two, and soon enough, the five of them were on their way to arrest a nurse. Jongin called it in to the chief during the car ride, and the chief immediately put in a request for a search warrant of the nurse’s home. The two cars drove in a line, using the sirens to weave around the others driving on the road. The atmospheres of both cars were quite tense; the detectives on edge because of what they might find at the house. If the patient ate the cookie dough, they weren’t sure what might happen. Maybe it wouldn’t be poisoned since the patient had only a few months left. But, maybe that’s exactly why the nurse would poison the patient. Hana wasn’t sure how much arsenic was in it (if there was any) or how long it would take for it to start taking effect in the body.

They pulled up to the house and stopped to the side of the road, turning the sirens off; they didn’t need any extra attention. They quickly ran out of their respective cars and went up to knock on the front door, Yixing staying outside the house, so that he wasn’t caught up in anything. A man who looked to be in his fifties or early sixties opened the door, quite confused at the sight of five strangers, four of whom were holding up badges, and two police cars outside the gate.

“Can I help you?” he asked slowly.

Hana stepped forward, showing her badge. “I am Detective Park Hana. Is Nurse Tiffany Hwang inside?” The man nodded.

“Uh, yes.”

“She is our main suspect for three murders. Please step aside,” Myungsoo said. The man hesitated, however. Rather than trying to potentially protect her, he just looked very puzzled, but they couldn’t take the chance at wasting time explaining.

“If you fail to cooperate you will be charged with obstruction of justice,” Jessica threatened lightly. The man nodded and moved aside, opening the door wider to let them in. The man indicated that she was in the kitchen by pointing towards the direction of the kitchen. Jongin and Jessica took the lead as they went into the kitchen, each placing a hand on their guns, but not taking it out as there were civilians in the house as well. Hana and Myungsoo went around to the living room and sealed off any possible exits from the kitchen that led to the living room. Hana watched as her two fellow detectives walked into the kitchen. They found the patient sitting in a wheelchair, being offered a chocolate chip cookie. Jessica immediately took the plate of cookies away, and Jongin went up to the nurse, holding his badge up.

“Tiffany Hwang, you are under arrest for the murders of Lee Jangjun, Kim Matthew, and Hong Joochan, as well as the attempted murder of Song Jieun. You have the right to remain silent...” he continued reciting her Miranda Rights as he handcuffed her. She looked very surprised, but the patient, Song Jieun, looked even more surprised. The nurse was escorted to one of the cars, and Hana went up to the patient and the man that had opened the door.

“We are very sorry for the inconvenience we have caused you,” she spoke. “Please do not eat those cookies. We’re going to need them for evidence.” Myungsoo put on a pair of latex gloves and placed the cookies and the cookie dough in a plastic bag.

“What did she do?” Jieun coughed out, her oxygen mask causing her voice to be slightly muffled. She seemed to be fairly young, and Hana felt her heart break for the girl who didn’t get a chance to live her life fully.The man rubbed her back.

“We’re just very surprised. She took such good care of my daughter at the hospital,” the man said.

"It seems as though she was performing mercy killings,” Myungsoo explained. “And unfortunately, that’s as much information we can give as of now. Please take care of yourself,” he directed towards Jieun. She smiled slightly. Hana and Myungsoo bowed to them as goodbye, and then went outside to join Yixing, Jessica, and Jongin.

~~~

“Hello, Ms. Hwang,” Myungsoo spoke. “I assume you know why you’re here?” He sat down in the chair next to Jessica across from the nurse. Jongin, Yixing, and Hana watched the interrogation from the observation room with the chief joining them shortly after the interrogation began. He had been dealing with the warrant and sending uniforms out to Tiffany Hwang’s apartment to do a search. Hana was supposed to take over the interrogations, but her argument was that the last interrogation was done by her and Jongin, and so it was only fair that their respective partners take a turn.

“No, I actually don’t,” Tiffany replied, trying to move her wrists that were handcuffed to the table.

“Well, let me explain,” Jessica replied pleasantly as she set a folder of papers down on the desk. She pushed a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. “You see, there’s been a series of murders with the same M.O. It involved cookie dough and a lot of arsenic. Also, the interesting part is that all three victims were all patients in the department you worked in. Now isn’t that a really great coincidence?” Tiffany stayed silent, toying with the handcuffs.

“But you see, in our line of work,” Myungsoo began, “there is no such thing as coincidences. Now, we have a witness that said that you were seen giving the three victims cookie dough. That cookie dough was tested positive for copious amounts of arsenic. You’re a nurse - you’re smart. You should notice where this conversation is going.” Tiffany just stared back at the detectives.

“Why isn’t she talking?” Jongin asked from beside Hana.

“It might be because she doesn’t think she did anything wrong, so there’s no need for her to justify what she did,” Yixing spoke up. The chief looked at him and sighed.

“Okay, here’s what we’re going to do. Hana, call the two back in here,” the chief said. Hana nodded and knocked on the window, signaling for the detectives to come out of the interrogation room. They looked up and walked out, joining the four already in the observation room.

“What’s up?” Myungsoo asked.

“We’re going to have to let Yixing get in there and talk to her. He knows what to say, so he might get her to spill. He’s just a consultant, and I can’t legally let him in the interrogation room, but if he stands far enough from the mic, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Myungsoo, just make sure that when they go back in there, turn off the camera. Hana, go in with Yixing; you’re the only one who she hasn’t had any contact with,” the chief instructed. Yixing looked nervous.

“What am I supposed to ask her though?” Yixing asked. The chief turned to him.

“Nothing. Just talk. Sometimes, when someone understands why they did what they did, they’re more likely to break down and admit to it. In this nurse’s case, if you tell her that you get why she did it, she’ll be readily acceptive of it.” He nodded. Hana took the folder of evidence and other paperwork from Jessica and led Yixing out to the interrogation room. She put her hand on his forearm before they went inside, however.

“It’ll be fine,” he smiled. She smiled back, and the two went inside.

“Hi, Ms. Hwang,” Hana smiled warmly as she sat down the desk. She heard a knock on the window once, indicating that the camera had been shut off. She knew that the nurse probably knew that she was a cop, but since she hadn’t been the ones to arrest her or to previously interrogate her, it would be the best to come off as nice as possible. Yixing walked to the corner of the room and leaned against the wall, giving him a very casual look, but it was so that he was as far away from the mic as possible. Tiffany stared at him.

“So, let’s just get to the point, shall we? I’m sure you want to get out of those uncomfortable handcuffs,” Yixing spoke, looking at her hands. “You’ve tried to wiggle your hands out so much that your wrists are red.” Tiffany glanced up at him with wide eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter