9. Periwinkle

Gambling With Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Satisfied with the answer, Hana nudged Jongin under the table.

“And that’s all we needed,” Jongin said as he and Hana stood up. The two walked out of the room, leaving a very annoyed model behind them. After they walked out, a police officer went into the room to take Sebin to a holding room until she would be moved to prison. Kris had been taken separately while Sebin was being interrogated, and Hana assumed that if Kris ended up seeing Sebin, he’d be quite vocal about how pissed off he was.

“So, it seems that Sebin’s confession might just save Kris and let him off. Well, until the media finds out about the arrest. He’s not going to be able to hide the arrest from anyone, really,” Jessica mused once the six of them had gathered in the chief’s office, taking up various spots in the room. Hana leaned against the space heater next to the window, happy that it wasn’t actually on, while Yixing sat in one of the chairs in front of the chief’s desk. Myungsoo was sitting in the other chair, and Jessica, Jongin, and Krystal were leaning against the wall in various places.

Myungsoo laughed. “Yeah. All that pain of switching contracts to avoid legal publicity just to have two employees and himself caught up in a murder.”

“By the way, Yixing, good catch on the dominant personality thing,” Jongin praised. Yixing waved it off with a flap of his hand midair.

“Just doing my job.”

“Speaking of his job,” the chief spoke up. “Hana?” the chief promoted.

“Oh right.” Hana proceeded to tell them what had happened as Yixing added his two cents in occasionally with his point of view on things.

“Well, Myungsoo was right saying that as of right now, we have no psychologist at our hands. We don’t need one as long as Byun stays on the down-low and provided we don’t need one, but for further cases, how would you like to be a consultant for the precinct, Mr. Zhang?” the chief asked, looking at Yixing.

“Please, call me Yixing, and I would love to,” Yixing smiled brightly. For some reason, Hana entranced by his gummy smile, and as she watched him speak, a small smile graced her face as well. “Finally, I can use this degree for something,” he laughed.

“Why do you even have one?” Krystal asked. He turned to look at her, and she in her breath, as if she forgot that she was speaking to her celebrity crush until just then. Jongin patted her on her head, and she finally let go of the breath she was holding.

“Parents. When I said that I wanted to move to a completely different country to perform on stage, they put a condition that I had to get a college degree, so I would have a job to fall back on just in case I didn’t do so well in the entertainment industry.”

“Why criminal psychology?” Myungsoo asked.

“Fascination,” he shrugged.

"Then it’s settled. Yixing, you’ll be hired for the following cases for the meantime if you are not otherwise occupied. We can deal with the payment later.”

“Oh no, I don’t need to be paid. I do this stuff for fun at this point.”

The chief chuckled at Yixing’s refusal. “We’re officially hiring you - it’s something the department’s required to do.”

“Okay then,” Yixing laughed, rubbing the back of head.

“Well I think that’s it. Good work with this case. Finish off the paperwork and you can head out early and take the weekend off now that Seoul Fashion Week is finally over. But remember to keep your phones on,” the chief directed. The four detectives looked at him in surprise at the praise, but they quickly brushed it off thanks to the earlier discussion about how it was probably brought on by Yixing’s presence.

“You know,” Myungsoo started as they walked to their desks, “Yixing should be here more often. He’s a lot nicer to us that way.”

Hana snorted, but Krystal let out a delighted ‘yes!’ to which Jongin smacked the back of his cousin’s head.

~~~

Yixing ended up hanging out with the four detectives while they filled out the necessary paperwork and completed any remaining work that they had before they left for a well-deserved weekend off. Krystal had gone back down to the morgue, complaining about how Kyungsoo was probably going to ruin all the work she’d done organizing the files while she had been gone.

“How old are you, Yixing?” Jongin asked without looking up from the evidence form he was filling out. “I’m 25, Jessica’s 27, and Hansoo over there are 26,” he rattled off while jerking his head in vague motions towards the respective people he was listing. Hana suppressed the urge to throw her pen at him. “Krystal, who you met earlier, is also 25. The other medical examiner, Kyungsoo, is 27.”

“Well now that I suddenly have all this information I’m probably not going to remember, I’m 26.” Jongin barked out a laugh but nodded.

“Jongin, please. Enough with the Hansoo,” Myungsoo rolled his eyes at his cousin.

“Soon enough I’m going to start calling you and Jess ‘Jongsica’,” Hana retorted.

“Hey! Don’t get me involved in this. I’d rather not face the wrath of my sister,” Jessica suddenly burst out,

“You’re older,” Hana deadpanned.

“So?”

“Just bring in Yixing. Krystal won’t be paying enough attention to Jongin when he’s in the room,” Myungsoo snickered. Yixing had a lazy smile on his face.

“Wow look at that smug look. He knows the effect he has on girls,” Jessica said, pointing a pen at him.

“Hey, what can I say? Hana knows first-hand the power of my fangirls,” Yixing joked, spinning around his chair. Hana turned to look at him, and she reached out a leg and stopped the chair from spinning, nearly jerking Yixing out of his seat.

“Oh, please,” she spoke in a dull tone before letting go of the chair and turning back to focus on her work. “Those girls are stalkers that have nothing better to do with their time. And they have no standards.” Yixing placed a hand upon his heart in a show of fake pain.

“I am wounded, Detective.” He placed the back of his hand on his fore

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter