Insomnia

Into You

(I love the skatepark XD)

 

 

Amber sat with her hat pulled low and the hood of her jacket pulled up despite the heat of summer. She didn't feel like being noticed at the moment. She didn't mind meeting her fans, but sometimes it was nice to fly under the radar for a few hours. 

The sound of skateboarders heading home and new ones arriving from school or their day jobs disturbed the still air. Wanting to feel even more alone with the heat and the sunset, Amber turned up the volume of her music and tucked her board between her knees, spinning the wheels just to see them go. 

She'd been at the skate park for hours, had a few street snacks, crashed and burned three times already, and she still wasn't ready to head back. Being busy was nice, but having time to just look at the sky, goof off on her phone, and practice a few new tricks on her board was pretty sweet too. 

Amber tilted her head back when stars began to appear in the sky and the skatepark became emptier. She was settled in the curve of one of the less frequently used halfpipes. A few months ago something had chipped a big divot into the concrete and made it a bit of a danger zone for new skaters and people who just wanted to glide without having to focus on going around potholes. 

"Amber?" 

She jerked, surprised that someone might recognize her despite having her face hidden. She considered not answering just in case someone who knew she came here was making a wild guess. 

"Amber." A leather-designer shoe came into her field of vision and poked at her ankle. 

Amber tilted her head back and pulled her headphones out of her ears. A half-smile appeared on her face. "Yah, Soojung. What are you doing here?" 

Krystal laughed. It was slightly muffled by the mask over the lower half of her face. She sank down next to Amber so that their shoulders touched. 

"I figured you wouldn't be at home and I needed to get out of the house anyway." She touched her flat stomach critically. "Jessica said if I stayed on the couch much longer I'd get a spare tire. I've been there since I got back last week." 

Amber shook her head. "You're ridiculous." She scrunched down the halfpipe and laid her board to the side so she could rest her head on Krystal's shoulder. Krystal made a soft sound in the back of and wriggled around until she was more comfortable. 

"If fans spot us, they're going to go crazy, ya know?" 

Amber shrugged. "Flying almost every week is exhausting. Then the training and the lessons. My head hurts so much," she whined, wrapping her arms around Krystal's left one. "I'm so tired." 

"Then you should go home." 

"I haven't had the chance to skate in weeks!" Amber proclaimed, sounding horrified. "Plus, I can just sleep on the plane."

"You know you never get proper sleep there," the younger woman scolded, tilting her own head back so she could look at the stars and press her cheek to the fabric of Amber's hood. She'd sworn a couple of weeks ago to think of Amber as nothing more than a friend, and she'd thought she'd gotten it under control, but knowing that Amber and she were in the city was too much to bear. Keeping their conversations to the phone was annoying. She liked hearing Amber's voice in person. Especially when she was close enough to feel it vibrate gently through her body. 

"I know," Amber said, talking into Krystal's shoulder. "But sleep always feels like such a waste of time when I'm not trapped on a plane. I could be doing so much stuff!" 

"Just hearing you even mention 'doing so much stuff' is exhausting me," Krystal said saucily. "And there's an air conditioner at home. I'm burning up in this jacket." 

"I didn't ask you to come, you know?" 

Krystal bit her lip. "Do you want me to leave?" 

Amber squished herself closer. "Of course not. I know how hard it is to get you outside. Why would I turn away a miracle? My princess deemed me worthy enough to leave her throne for." 

A secret smile tugged its way onto Krystal's face and she aimed her eyes upwards again, taking in Amber's scent. She smelled a little bit of shampoo and salt from being bundled up despite the heat. There was also something sweet, probably from a gummy snack melting in her pocket. Amber tended to carry a little snack around with her most days and nibbled on it either in the morning or the afternoon. 

"Where are you going to fly if you win that plane?" Krystal asked, thinking about the show Amber was currently filming. 

She shook her head. "I haven't thought that far ahead. I, of course, need to take pictures and gloat to Jackie first."

"She'll probably block your twitter for a while." 

"It'll be worth it," Amber assured her. 

Krystal rolled her eyes, knowing that Amber wasn't kidding. She'd brag and brag until Jackie couldn't stand her anymore. "How long have you been out here?" 

"Since six this morning." 

Amber smiled when she could practically feel the shock running through Krystal's body. "I wanted to skate a bit before a lot of people got here."

"How long are you planning on staying? Are you even going to skate some more?" Krystal asked, listening to the few skaters still left in the park. The moon was fully out now and people needed to get home to sleep for their busy daily lives. "Don't you have to film tomorrow?" 

"Ugh, don't remind me," Amber responded, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'm going to be so tired. And no, I don't plan to skate more, I already bruised my elbow earlier," she pouted. 

"Why don't you go home and sleep then?" Krystal suggested.

"Ew."

Krystal sighed, knowing that even if Amber went home, she probably wouldn't sleep. Her dark eye bags were a testament to that. "So you're just going to stay out here all night?" 

"I want to watch the sun rise," Amber said, fiddling with her phone. 

"Didn't you already watch it this morning?" 

"Each one is different." 

Krystal shifted her arm out of Amber's grasp so she could get her it behind Amber, then wrapped it around her shoulders. She pulled back Amber's hood and lifted the hat off her head. Amber, worried that someone would recognize her despite the darkness, buried her face in Krystal's neck. Krystal smiled and ran her fingers through Amber's hair. 

Krystal smirked. "You could really use some conditioner. Your ends are really dry."

It was Amber's turn to sigh. "I need to keep the color for a few more weeks." She laid a hand on Krystal's stomach and drummed her fingers against the tight muscles hidden under the layers of fabric. Krystal giggled and bit her lip, struggling to keep her cool. "You planning on staying out here with me until morning? I know you like getting your beauty sleep." 

Krystal considered it for a few moments. The intimate closeness was nice, but the sweltering heat of their bodies, plus the fall clothes in the middle of summer was not. It was a little better now that it was night time, though. "I probably won't be able to stay awake," she murmured. 

"You can sleep here," Amber suggested.

The hard pavement was already causing a few points of pressure on Krystal's and back. She wriggled around. "Can't we just watch the sunrise from your apartment?" 

"We can't feel the breeze in my apartment," Amber said matter-of-factly.

"You could turn on a fan or something." 

Amber laughed and tilted her head back. "That's true. I could." 

Krystal frowned at her. "But you won't." 

Amber shook her head, her crescent eyes sparkling in the lamplight. "Nope." 

The younger girl waggled her finger in Amber's face. "I hope this concrete makes your bum fall off." 

"It's not like I have one anyway," Amber laughed. 

"Ugh. I'm going to go home." She pulled her arm from around Amber's shoulders and rested on her palms as she looked into the face of her longtime friend. "Are you really going to be up all night?" she asked worriedly. "What if you fall asleep and get robbed or taken advantage of or something?" 

"I'm strong, I can handle myself." 

Krystal chewed on her bottom lip. "Okay. I guess I'll see you sometime tomorrow. You still owe me food." She stood up, dusting off her pants. 

"I know, Princess." 

Krystal fiddled with the mask over the lower half of her face for her bit. "Be careful, okay?"

"Okay," Amber agreed. "And call me as soon as you're back home? It would be terrible for our group if you got kidnapped or something."

"You wouldn't miss me?" 

"No," Amber said, popping her headphones back in. 

Krystal kicked her in the shin. "See you tomorrow, punk." 

"Bye." 


 

Krystal wrapped her arms tightly around herself, wishing she could hold the feeling of Amber being pressed against her side forever.