Bread

Into You

Krystal scrolled through her instagram notifications, then switched over to Weibo. She frowned when one of the first pictures she saw was Amber wrapped around another of the cast member. They were squished together in on chair, one of Amber's legs over the girl's, an arm around her neck. She knew it meant nothing because the woman was married and Amber was just...just like that. Knowing it didn't stop the bitter taste of jealousy from coating the back of . Realizing how she felt about Amber hadn't made things better at all, only worse. When she was clueless, the feelings were a lot easier to ignore. Now they stabbed through her and they had a name. 

She closed down the app and tossed her phone carelessly on her dresser. 

She knew she needed to get over this, and quick. They were teammates. They needed to work together in the future and she couldn't let her feelings get in the way of their teamwork or their friendship. And she knew that liking Amber would only be a frustration. Amber never gave any indication she felt the same way in return, plus she had enough friends to repopulate Jeju island. Krystal knew she wasn't benevolent enough to be in a relationship with someone who had no qualms about being so loving with all of her friends. She wanted to be the only one Amber was comfortable enough to wrap her self around. She knew it was selfish, but she couldn't help the possessiveness she felt. Amber was just so...special. 

Krystal ran a frustrated hand through her hair, flipping the long strands back off her shoulders, and decided to take in a quick shower before she needed to be at her photoshoot. Maybe the warm water would help clear her head because stalking Amber's instagram and Weibo sure wasn't. 


 

Amber was exhausted. A day spent climbing up and down poles was taxing, even though she was pretty good at rock climbing and in fairly good shape, she'd been running at full speed for the past few weeks. She was happy to have so many events for her promotional period, but she was getting worn down and her shoulder was aching more often than usual. She hoped it was only overworked at the moment and nothing more serious. 

"Do you want to take a shower first?" Kitty asked, running a hand over her back and ruffling her hair. 

Amber smiled. Kitty was a lot like a big sister. Not her big sister Jackie, who would've added a smack to the back of Amber's head, but a big sister. An over affectionate one though. Amber was starting to feel a bit like her pet. They'd known each other for only a short time, but Kitty was very caring and friendly, so she couldn't really say she minded all that much. 

"Nah. You can go first," Amber said, sitting on her twin bed and taking off her socks. They were a little damp from sweat and clung uncomfortably to her toes. 

"Thank you," Kitty said in a cute voice, startling Amber by squeezing her cheeks between her palms before sprinting off to the bathroom. 

Amber laughed and pulled out her phone to see if she'd missed any calls. There were about twenty, some unread text messages, and a few other notifications. She called a few people back before delving through the messages. She was surprised to see that about ten were photo updates from Krystal, some random images of breakfast pastries she'd apparently tried. 

She pressed call and waiting for Krystal's voice to come through. 

"Those look tasty," she said, the minute Krystal said 'hello'. "Which one do you recommend I try?" 

Amber pulled the phone away from her ear when she was notified of a message. Krystal had resent one of the pictures, this one of a kind of domed bread that almost looked like a roll but had a slight earthy brown tint to it and some time of seeds and nuts scattered on top. 

"Alright, I'll try to find one that looks like this the next time I have a break. How have you been?" 

*Sleepy,* Krystal complained. *The photoshoot lasted three hours longer than it was supposed to because of some error I was too hungry to listen to explained.*

"So you're hungry and sleepy, Princess?" Amber asked with an exaggerated pout. 

*Shut up.*

"I'll feed you the next time we're in the same city, okay?" 

There was a pause on the other end of the line. *You shouldn't say things like that,* Krystal said, sounding slightly subdued.

"What? You know I keep my promises. And I've got to take care of my Princess." 

*Amber...*

A frown line appeared between Amber's brows. "What?" 

*...nothing. I guess it's just the hunger talking. Nothing is open here past midnight and I didn't think to get any snacks.*

Amber sighed, worrying about Krystal. "Nothing else is going on, right? You're not dieting or anything?" A couple of her friends were practically wasting away in front of her eyes but still talking about how much weight they needed to lose. Krystal liked to maintain her health and figure, so she usually didn't really have to worry about her. But sometimes Krystal got particular about what she wanted to eat and didn't eat anything else until she could get it. Or she just got caught up in work, and if food wasn't in front of her, she'd end up not eating.

*No,* Krystal assured her. *And I had a big meal earlier. A few hours of being hungry won't kill me. It might make me kill my manager though,* she laughed.

"Good." 

Ambbeeerrr!" Kitty squeeled, dashing out of the shower only wrapped in her towel. She tossed herself onto Amber's bed, causing the singer to let out a whoompf of air. "There's a spider!" 

"You're getting my clothes wet," Amber complained, pushing the older actress off of her and grimacing at the water dripping everywhere from Kitty's hair. "And what do you want me to do with the spider?" 

"Get rid of it," Kitty cried. "What if it crawls on us while we're sleeping?!" 

"can't kill it!" Amber said. "I'm scared of them too!"

*Amber?* Krystal asked through the phone. 

"Get Wesley!" 

"I'm !" 

*Amber?...*

Amber rolled her eyes and put the phone back to her ear. "Look, I gotta go. Seems like there's a spider crisis and I'm the only one who can solve it." Kitty smiled and squeezed her arm, laying her head on Amber's shoulder. 

"My hero." 

"You like me too much," Amber said, then continued on the phone, "keep me updated on tasty pastries, and eat more, okay, Soo Jung?" 

*Okay. Bye, Amber...*

Amber set her phone down, then put her hands on her hips. "You know that spider has probably hidden somewhere by now, right? You're supposed to stay in one spot and keep your eyes on those things while screaming for help." 

"I was scared," Kitty said with big eyes. "Can you hurry up and get Wesley?" 

Amber shook her head and headed down the stairs. "How do I keep being surrounded by princesses?" 


 

Krystal stared at her darkened phone. The sound of Amber and her cast member talking together while one was apparently still played in her mind. She knew it meant nothing. She knew that, but it didn't stop her heart from feeling so heavy. Amber had gotten off the phone with her just so she could help her new friend with a stupid spider problem. 

Krystal punched her pillow into fluffy submission and buried her head in it. Tomorrow would be another day. Tomorrow she would be one step closer to getting over her stupid crush on Amber. Tomorrow...