Forest

Into You

"So...you're done?" Jessica asked, rubbing her sister's back as she lay facedown on her bed. 

Krystal had returned from France an absolute mess. Crying about how she'd been wrong, too impulsive, too greedy, too demanding. The list seemed to go on and on with bouts of tears warring with bouts of anger. 

"I wanted her so much, I didn't think," she said into the pillow, her voice muffled. "I thought I was thinking, but I wasn't. My body and my heart were doing everything, now my head is left in a mess to sort it out. But there's nothing to sort out anymore," she lamented, then started weeping again. 

Jessica tsked, wishing she could get ahold of Amber to hear her side, but Amber was working on a project or wasn't returning her calls or texts. 

"I didn't give her time, I didn't-" 

"She's an adult, you know," Jessica said, starting to feel a little impatient with her baby sister. She'd feared the relationship would be a train wreck from the start but hadn't wanted to say I told you so. Krystal pretending not to know she was flirting with the tomboy had been cute, teasing her about the crush had been cute. Trying to put all the pieces back together after the relationship had fallen apart though...was not cute. 

"I went to her room...when we were in France. I knocked until she came to the door and she just looked at me. She didn't say anything. So I kissed her and she started crying. I asked her why and all she could say was she didn't know. How could she not know why she was crying?!" 

Jessica just patted her back while she spilled it all out again, apparently searching for some clue. 

"So I kept kissing her and she kept crying, so I started crying and I left." She didn't speak for a while. 

"What did I do?" 

"Sometimes it's not about what you did or didn't do," Jessica repeated for what she felt was the hundredth time. "Sometimes things just don't work out, or even if you want someone so badly, they're just not who you're meant to be with." 

"But I can't imagine being with anyone else." 

Jessica wanted to say that Krystal had been happy with Jong In briefly, but decided not to mention it. 

"It sounds like you both need to make up your minds and figure out what's really between you. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something, but right now you're both confused." 

"But-"

Jessica mashed her face into the pillow.

"Ah!" 

She released her sister, who sat up and glared at her. 

"Don't look at me like that, Jung SooJung. I'll poke your eyes out and give away your flavored bread to neighborhood kids. Now listen to me. Amber clearly wasn't ready for a relationship then, and probably still isn't. But her feelings for you have changed from what they originally were. Leave it at that for now. And you, yes, you want her, but do you care about her?" 

"Of course I-" 

Jessica pinched her sister's lips together. "Not about how it makes you feel to be around her and how you think she's feeling having you there. Do you care about her? Do you do stuff for her just so she'll know you're thinking about her or just sit with her without expecting anything?"

"But she-" 

"She's a sensitive person who's used to people not caring about what her feelings really are or when she's open she gets hurt. So while she seems upfront and happy, I know there is more going on with her that she will never say. You have to find a way to become close to her, not just physically. You need to find a way for her to open up to you without you jumping her bones," her sister grimaced at that mental image. "It probably would've been best for you to just hold her that night she came to you when Gongju died. It's in the past and I know you can't change it, but you put a band-aid on her pain rather than letting it seep all out and sharing it with her. You made those emotions about you and not her. It's probably the same thing all of her friends do. Distract her, try to help her not think about it when it's honestly all piling up inside of her." 

Krystal felt devastated as Jessica continued to talk. Her sister was right. About everything. They weren't ready for a relationship, neither of them and trying to force it would just make things worse. They needed time, and distance, and conversation. But not right now. 

She threw her arms around her big sister mid-sentence. "You're right. I should listen to you more often." 

Jessica bopped her on the nose. "I'm going to remember that when you're being stubborn in the future." 


Amber took off her headphones to make sure she'd heard what she thought she heard, then got to her feet when she realized there really had been a knock on the door. It was nearly 4 pm on a Monday. She couldn't figure out who'd be knocking since most of her friends were out of town at the moment. 

She checked the screen, even more confused when she saw a delivery man. 

She carefully opened the door, leaving the chain lock in place. 

"Hello?" 

"Hi, you have a delivery." 

"Um..I wasn't expecting anything."

The delivery man scowled, clearly not having the patience for this. "Either way, you got a package." He pushed a device into her hands for her to sign, shoved a package at her, then left before she could even blink properly. 

She shook her head at his rudeness and went to the living room to see what she'd gotten. 

She roughly undid the brown paper to find a box inside, a card tied to the top of it with a red ribbon, her favorite color. 

The giant 'K' on the envelope immediately told her who it was from. 

Feeling nervous, she pulled the card away from the ribbon and opened it. Inside was a short message. 

>Amb, I bought you Trolli's and hot Cheetos. There is also a map to a new boba place in Seoul. I figured you'd have fun biking there. - From Krys

Amber stared down at the box, then reread the message, then opened the box and started on the bag of gummies.