In the Air

Into You

"You look happy," Jessica said. She was sitting on the living room sofa flipping through a fashion magazine when Krystal returned home minutes past midnight. She tapped the face of her watch and raised an eyebrow. 

Krystal stuck her tongue out at her and took off her jacket, hanging it on the coat rack. 

"We went to the skate park." 

"Oh? Amber is teaching you how to skateboard?" 

Krystal grinned as she sat down beside her sister, putting her cold feet into her lap. Jessica glared at her and swatted at her legs with the magazine. "A little. We spent most of the time making out in a pipe." 

The cold air had been a bit brutal on their skin as Amber guided Krystal around on her skateboard, so she'd suggested they shelter in a pipe until the wind died down a bit. Krystal had ended up snuggling to her side to share body heat. Amber had wrapped her arms around her and captured her lips in a kiss that started out awkward with frozen lips to meltingly hot. Amber's warm lips on her skin had caused her to tremble, and when Amber rolled so she could be on top of her, she hadn't even minded her cold back against the icy concrete of the pipe. 

She pressed her hands to her warm cheeks and gushed to her sister. "It was so nice. Amber has never been this, I don't know, aggressive with me before. She never made the first move. Now it, I don't know, it feels like she wants to crawl inside my skin." She squealed and buried her face in one of the white decorative pillows. "I never thought I could fall for her more than I already had, but I can't wait until I can see her or talk to her or touch her again." 

Her eyes were alight with happiness, her cheeks aglow with love. 

Jessica clasped her sister's hand, hoping that she would never have to see her sad again. 


Amber needed to head back to LA soon. She had more projects to finish up. She was scared to tell Krystal how much she was enjoying her time there. Life in California was so different than it was for her in Korea. When she was surrounded by her friends, Korea was fine, but dealing with the people and the old-fashioned mindset outside of her friends was becoming a strain she wasn't sure she wanted to put up with any longer. 

Plus, the pool of people to work with in building her skills was so much larger in California than in Korea. And her family was there. A family she'd barely been able to spend time with since she'd turned sixteen. 

But now...there was Krystal. 

She pulled out her phone to face time her since she was out on location on a magazine shoot. 

"Hi," she said with a soft smile.

Krystal put her face really close to the camera so all Amber could see was her eyes. She laughed. "Hi. Did you finish filming your music video?" 

Amber nodded. 

"When will I get to see it?" 

"A few weeks," Amber said. She'd been busy editing it so she and Krystal hadn't had much time to spend together aside from the few times Krystal had come over to just lean against her while she worked. 

"It looked like it would be really good," she said encouragingly. "Although some of it still looks a bit..." 

"Shush, you," Amber said, making her laugh. 

"Are you going to be back tomorrow?" 

Krystal shook her head. "No. I have to stay here overnight. They've already booked a hotel." 

"I'm leaving tomorrow." 

"I know, I wish I could see you off." Krystal looked over her should. "I've got to go. I wish I could see you off." 

"Me too," Amber said. 

Krystal looked over her shoulder again, then quickly kissed her camera, giggling in embarrassment. "Bye." 

Amber kissed her screen, feeling silly even though she was alone in her room. "Bye." 

She ran a hand through her hair, thinking about the last time she'd held Krystal in her arms. It had felt so good. One of the best feelings in the world. Their bodies pressed together, her small chest rising and falling against Amber's. She loved their closeness, she loved their small intimacies. She loved Krystal, but was that enough to make something work? 

She didn't know if she could stay in Korea much longer and continue to grow as the person she wanted to be or live the life she wanted. Her friends were here though, her group,...her Krystal. But could she have, really have, her Krystal in a place like Korea?

So far, things were fine because they hadn't defined anything. They were taking moments as they came. But once they decided they wanted to be more, would skulking around and seeing each other a few times a month or year really be enough. Amber felt like she would be fine with that. She could trust herself and she could trust her feelings and she knew she could trust Krystal, but she also knew that Krystal wanted more out of a relationship than a few stolen moments. 

If they dived it would have to be head first and full throttle, but there were other people to think about besides each other. 

She rolled onto her side, deciding to let the thoughts go for the night. There was nothing to be done right now anyway. They would see each other again when she came back to Korea in a few weeks and they could finally figure out what they were and what they wanted to do. 

So far, she only knew one thing, and that was that she and Krystal wanted each other. Should they let that decide everything or should they let everything else decide if they could be together? 


Krystal lay in her hotel room, staring lovingly at a picture on her phone of Amber sleeping at her desk, tired out from trying to edit an mv in such a short amount of time. Her glasses were askew on her nose and was slightly open. 

"What are we going to do?" she wondered out loud.