oo5

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My headache was worse. Tonight was the dinner party and everyone had been giving me glances all day. There were eager to the wife I hadn't spoken of. Jiyoon. I was a little embarrassed with myself to be so caught up in my own anger I didn't even realize I hadn't learned her name. She wasn't at fault in this whole set up and I tried to remind myself of this. Jiyoon was a victim, whether she realized it or not.

I thought about the conversation we had on the way home, after shopping for her outfit. It was the most we had spoken to each other since becoming man and wife.

~Flashback

I slide glanced at her. She was fidgeting in her seat, the leftover food box in her lap. Unsure of the reason why, I started a conversation. This was very unlike me and I was a little preturbed, yet unable to stop myself.

"Are you happy with the dress you chose?" It dawned on me that I had no idea what it looked like.

"Yes, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it."

I fought the weary sigh from leaving my lips. "I asked if you liked the dress. It doesn't matter what I think."

We drove for awhile without her answering me. When we pulled up to a red light I turned towards her. She had a confused expression on her face. Not just a confused expression, something more than that. Jiyoon was analyzing my words to discover what they meant. I wanted her to think for herself instead of relying on my own opinions.

"I...think so...yes." She seemed unsure about her answer. Her eyes glanced over my way and then the red bloomed across her cheeks.

~End

Thinking back on it, the conversation was still really pitiful. Focusing on my work, I signed the paper and handed it back to Shin Woo. "Let the Editor know that I was pleased with this copy. Have him clean it up and simplify the design."

One article over viewed, too many more to go.

 

Jiyoon's POV

I was freaking out!

It was only a few hours before the ball tonight. The maids were just as excited as I was while the two butlers looked on with amusement. "He picked all of this out without even looking at the dress?" They stared in awe at how well everything matched.

"Yeah." I the fabric, still feeling a little nervous over if he'd like it or not.

"Impressive." Haewon held up the shoes. "So, what are we sitting here staring at it for? Let's get you ready!"

 

Jinyoung's POV

"Sir." Shin Woo knocked on my office door. "It's getting late. You still need to pick up your wife and get ready." He held the suit up.

"Right." I sighed and stood. A dizzy spell crashed over me and I stumbled back.

"Are you okay?" Shin Woo reached forward but I held up my hand.

"I'm fine. Stood up too fast."

Shin Woo looked over me skeptically but he didn't question my statement. He knew it would be pointless. I was a stubborn man after all.

 

I dabbed at the sweat around my neck as I pulled up towards the house. Even with the air on full blast I was feeling sticky and drained. I couldn't remember the last time I felt this terrible. On top of my head hurting I was nauseous. I glanced at my watch. It'd be a 30 minute drive to the ball, it started in 10.

Even though I knew it wouldn't be so, I hoped she wasn't ready, or sick. Anything to get us out of this whole mess. I couldn't use my current condition as an excuse because I never got sick and they'd think I was lying. With a resonant sigh I got out of the car. Yongguk had stepped out of the house, seeing me pull up.

"Sir. Your wife is ready."

"Send her out."

He glanced me over, noting my pale complexion no doubt. Yongguk knew better than to comment and went back in to fetch Jiyoon.

I patted at the sweat around my neck again and readjusted my tie. The door clicked and I could hear the faint tap tap of heels. My eyes went up and I froze.

She smiled shyly at me and turned around. The light blue complimented her and the figure of the dress hugged her appropriately. I swallowed hard. "Does this please you?" I tore my eyes from the dress and looked up at her face.

"Yeah."

Jiyoon's cheeks grew red and a sweet smile graced her features.

I opened the door to her side for her and she slid in. The servants waved as we drove away, no doubt gossiping about my expression. What had it looked like? Hopefully Jiyoon hadn't read into it. I was just noting that her dress was attractive.

That's it.

I glanced at her. Her eyes glittered with excitement. Suddenly, my thoughts grew serious. She had no idea what we were about to experience. I had to prepare her.

"We need to go over something before arriving." She turned, giving me her full attention. "Tonight people are going to be very eager to meet you. Don't be alarmed if you're asked questions that aren't the most...appropriate. Also, there's a man who guys by the name Kim Himchan, stay away from him. Even if he asks you to dance, say you have to ask my permission first or anything. I don't plan on letting you leave my side so most unfavorable situations should be avoided."

"I understand." Was all she said.

Good. As long as she stayed away from him. The last thing I needed was a scandal to deal with. There was enough on my plate already. With Daehyun arriving sometime next week my life was going to become even more complicated.

 

The rest of the ride remained in silence. We arrived at the party, the chauffeur took my keys and I took my wife. Together we walked into the ballroom. At first we weren't noticed but the further we made it into the room the more eyes turned towards us. Their whispers were loud but I couldn't make out the words. It was easy to guess though. They were amazed to see that the rumors were true. Jung Jinyoung was officially a married man.

 

Jiyoon's POV

This place was utterly gorgeous! I stared in awed at the elaborate decorations and delicious food. There were many people, all who looked on at us with wonder and confusion. Jinyoung had warned me that people would act strange towards us. I could only assume it was because he had made it to the age of 25 without ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter