o19

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm sorry."

We were currently huddled around Jiyoon who had passed out again when we landed. Sandeul was fanning her while his wife her hand.

"You've got to tell us what's happening. What are you remembering? Is it...scary?" Minah asked.

She looked down and away. "It's only pieces, I can't make sense of it."

Jung Jiyoon was lying. I noticed Hyunjung and Shin Woo look at each other. They shared a silent conversation that I didn't understand and it made me have a bad feeling. I moved everyone out of the way and helped Jiyoon up. She weakly leaned against me. I kept my arm secure around her waist.

"Lets get settled in our rooms. We can go to the first restaurant tonight and tomorrow hit the first of the attractions."

I had to remember that this was a business trip, not a vacation.

 

Jiyoon's POV 

I leaned my head against Jinyoung's chest. He was keeping me close. I felt safe with him, secure.

The memories were getting worse. I closed my eyes, trying to shut it all away but it only made the scenes more clear in my head. How much time was passing between my black outs? I was starting to forget myself as I drowned in the memories.

 

"Did you hear? There's a rumor that she didn't grow up here. That's why she's always trying to escape."

"Why would she even try? This place supports us and cares for us. Ungrateful is what she is."

I narrowed my eyes and kept my head low. The only time I was allowed interaction with others was when it was time to eat. Three times a day, but they only fed me twice.

Right now was the time they wouldn't feed me, said it was punishment. I didn't care what they had to say. This wasn't my home. What they were doing to these girls was wrong, I wouldn't let them turn me into a dutiful little princess. I was just biding my time until it was time to act. We had a plan to put an end to all of this.

"They say that the reason they hid her was because her mother slept with a man that wasn't her husband. She was ashamed."

That's it. I slammed my hands on the counter and marched towards the girl with the big mouth. Without blinking an eye I grabbed her by her hair and dragged her out of the chair.

I slammed her on the ground. She cried out and the other girls just stood there gasping. "Insult me all you want. But if you say one more thing about my family I will break your face." I pressed my knee into her back and placed my lips near her ear. "Do you understand?"

She whimpered. 

Cold hands gripped my arms and I let them haul me off her. The guards carried me out, no doubt to the special room. Whenever I acted out they brought me here.

The closer we got the more my heart started to race. I fought as they pulled me through the threshold and forced me into the chair.

The head of the Institute, Yoon Soomyun, smiled cruelly. "I do enjoy our sessions Jiyoon, but it would be nice if you stopped fighting every person that crossed your path."

"Then let me go."

"You know I can't do that. Your parents broke the rules, how they managed to hide you for so long still amazes me. Don't worry though, they are being dealt with and their punishment will far outweigh yours. You were only a child after all. A child we must now fix."

She flicked the syringe in her hand a couple times. I rolled my shoulders, preparing myself. 

"We'll successfully rewrite you." And then the needle pierced my skin.

 

"Jiyoon. Wake up, we're here." I startled when Jinyoung rubbed my shoulder. Slowly I pulled away, I didn't really want to be touched right now.

My head was pounding and everything was melding together. I was stuck between what they had programmed into me and who I really was. 

I was a girl who had known my parents. The realization was startling. Not a single woman knew who their parents were, it's just the way things were. Never had I desired to know them because I believed they didn't matter. Now I have choppy memories of them. Memories of a place outside of the Institute.

Jinyoung opened the door for me. We would be sharing a room, which wasn't surprising. I glanced around the space. It had everything we needed. A small kitchen, bathroom, and one bed. I blinked.

"Uh, what of our sleeping arrangements?"

"I've held you before, it's not that big of a deal." My eyes bugged out. "What?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It's just...do roommates share beds?"

He stopped unpacking and turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter