o15

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jiyoon?" I rushed over and scooped her up in my arms. Her breathing was rough and she looked like she was in pain. "Jiyoon?" She groaned but didn't respond. I had to get her to the hospital.

I rushed out the door and buckled her in the car. There was no time to call for an ambulance, I wasn't sure how long she had been passed out. I reached over and dabbed at the sweat that soaked her. She was mumbling incoherent words. "Hang on, we're almost there."

Panic and fear were overpowering my senses. It was hard to think rationally. My mind was coming to all sorts of conclusions on why she had passed out.

When I pulled up the hospital, I didn't even bother parking. I flew out of my side and went around, tucking her safely in my arms.

Her breathing had become shallow and she was crying. "Hold on." A nurse saw me first and without even asking she knew the situation was serious.

"I need a stretcher!" A few more nurses and a doctor rushed over. Reluctantly I let them take her. I moved to follow but they stopped me.

"That's my wife." I argued.

"I understand but you can't come in, we'll let you know what we find out."

With no choice I was left in the cold lobby. I went to sit in a chair and drug a hand over my face. Now that she was in good hands exhaustion was filling me as the adrenaline dissipated. 

 

Hours passed by and my worry grew. Just what was going on that they couldn't even come update me? I thought about calling the house but figured they would still be sleeping. It was 4am after all.

"Jung?" I stood at the call of my last name. The doctor came to me. "Your wife, Jiyoon, is doing fine but come to my office, there's a few things we need to discuss."

There was no relief. Even if he said she was okay, there was something clearly wrong. 

"Have a seat."

"Why can't I see my wife?"

The doctor sighed. "She's resting right now. It took us awhile to figure out what was wrong. Let me ask you, is Jiyoon suffering from memory loss?"

His question caught me off guard. I thought back to some of our conversations and it never occurred to me until now that she might. She had told me once there were bad things about the Institute she couldn't remember.

"The reason I'm asking Jinyoung-ssi, is because we found a powerful memory enhancing drug in her system. We have no doubt its the reason she passed out."

"Memories were, in a sense, attacking her. In small controlled doses the drug works over time, the way she took it was borderline overdosing. I suggest you talk to her about not taking anymore for awhile. If she's intent on recovering any lost memories we can aid her, it'll be much safer that way."

I didn't know how to respond. So instead I said: "I want to see my wife."

​​​​​​​"Understood. Remember what I said though. She can't take a dose like that again. It could put her in a comma."

There was nothing I could say to that, I didn't even know she was taking this. How did she get her hands on it? Jiyoon didn't seem like the type to make such a careless mistake. 

"I'll leave you alone for a bit. She'll be out of it for quite some time."

I pulled up a chair next to the bed and took her hand. She was sleeping soundly. I couldn't get her face out of my head from when I found her. She was in physical pain, but now she was peaceful.

"Jiyoon." Hesitantly I reached out and her hair. "What is it that you want to remember?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter