o17

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Can you hear me? Jiyoon?"

I couldn't respond. My body was numb and my mind was carrying me far from this place.

 

The door to my room opened. I slid close to the wall, my weapon ready. The guard walked in towards the lump of covers on my bed. Without hesitation I slammed the lamp against the back of his head and he fell to a heap on the floor.

I darted out of the room and down the hall. They had been keeping me locked up in that room every since I was ten years old. They said I was special, that I would be the first. Well, I didn't want to be the first of whatever they had planned. I just wanted out of here. This place was frightening.

My feet slipped on the tile and I fell back out of eyesight when two guards walked by. I took a deep breath. My heart hadn't stopped pumping ever since the door opened. This would be the second time I've escaped my room. I knew exactly where the exit was, it was just getting there.

In two years I would turn 21, which meant they'd put me in a man's house. The last thing I wanted was to please a man for the rest of my life. It was ridiculous. I had to get out of here, leave the country if I must.

Somehow, three weeks ago, a message was brought to me. They said I had to leave the Institute, that bad things were going to happen to me. The note gave me a date and time, well it was now that date and time. All I had to do was get out the doors and they'd be waiting on me. Two more guards passed by.

Then the alarm sounded. I cursed and made a mad dash for the exit. My feet pounded against the cold floor. There were shouts behind me. I slammed against the door, grabbed the handle and pulled. Fresh air hit me in the face. I got one foot out the door and I saw him. There was a man in the woods, hidden by shadow. I slipped out, placing my feet on the grass.

Just as I was about to run towards my freedom, arms circled around my waist.

"No!" I screamed. My feet kicked wildly in the air. The man's arms were vice grips. He pulled me back inside and shut the door. No...my freedom. My one and only chance of getting out of here. It was gone.

I cried as I fought against him. It took another man grabbing my legs to control me. They pinned my to the ground and handcuffed me. Still I fought. I had to. I'd rather die than be part of their plan.

A heel pressed into my back, right along my spin. I gasped and withered under the pressure.

"Jiyoon. I'm disappointed in you." I froze, it was the Councilors' voice. "Why would you try to escape? After everything we've done for you." She lifted her heel and they sat me up on my knees. She gripped the back of my hair, forcing me to look up at her. The Councilor was a vicious woman. Thin, with long blonde hair. Her husband, Yoon Doojoon, was just as uncaring. "I think it's time."

Dread filled my gut, I didn't know what they had planned for me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter