oo2

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was my first night as a wife. The maids took my bags and helped me settle in. They showed me where I would be sleeping, which was two doors down from my husband. I wasn't too sure on why we were separate from each other, unless he was shy. Once they finished helping me unpack I walked around the house.

Honestly, there wasn't much too it. Despite being so large, there was little furniture and next to no decorations. Even so, the cold atmosphere wouldn't put a damper on my glow. It was my first night as a wife, after all.

"Don't expect too much of Master." The older maid, Bang Hira, found me in a room with nothing but a piano. She had told me her husband was the head butler, so that clearly made her the head maid. She seemed to be doing well for herself, despite being a lower class. "He's very busy with his work." Was this her way of telling me not to wait up for him?

"Still, I'd like to greet my husband when he gets home."

She bowed to me. "I thought you might. A warm bath has been prepared for you. I'll also have a meal ready for when you step out."

"Thank you."

 

Hours passed, yet, I was still home alone. Bang Hira and her husband remained as they waited for Master. I asked her what his job was that he remained out so late. She informed me that he was the CEO of a fashion magazine. There was a big deadline coming up with a lot of important people involved. I gave her a curt nod as a thank you for the information.

For the hundredth time I smoothed my hair and straightened my dress as I waited for my husband to come home.

 

It was well into the morning, nearly 3am. I had dozed off a few times only to jerk awake at the slightest of noise. When the door clicked I thought I was dreaming until Hira's husband came from wherever he was hiding.

I rubbed the sleepy from eyes and rushed over. He gave me an amused smile at my happiness but it quickly disappeared, replaced by a concern I didn't understand. No matter, I was so excited.

The butler remained behind me as I smiled beautifully, eager to help shed the fatigue and migraines he had battled all day long. He stepped into the house and I was floored by how beautiful he was. His short black hair was parted, exposing a section of his forehead. The suit he wore was still immaculate.

Jinyoung's facial features were smooth and perfectly aligned. Weariness enveloped him but it did nothing to lessen his attractiveness. How was I good enough for this man? Forgetting myself momentarily, it wasn't until the butler nudged me did I stutter my greeting.

I reached out for my husband's briefcase but he blatantly ignored me and handed it to the butler, including his jacket. "Sir." The servant bowed. I swallowed hard and lowered my hand accompanied by an awkward smile. Perhaps he wanted to greet me a different way.

Without a word or a glance in my direction, he went upstairs and the only sound I heard was the click of a door. The butler bowed and left, leaving me alone in the cold dark living room.

Was I dreaming? This isn't what they said it would be like. This isn't at all what they taught.

 

Jinyoung's POV

I leaned over the balcony the next morning. From here I got a full view of the downstairs. The table was adorned with delicious smelling food, the only problem was that my 'wife' was patiently waiting for me. I noted her hair was short and her body scrawny. She hadn't started eating yet and that irritated me.

This is exactly why I didn't want one. Whatever came out of that compound wasn't a human, it was a robot. No woman in her right mind would wait to eat just because the man hadn't told her she could. This arrangement was ridiculous.

The Wife System had always been corrupt. History talked of a great movement for women and men alike. But all I saw was slave training. They were taught to be tools. What woman in her right mind would want to be this way? History didn't say they fought back, but I liked to imagine they did.

When the new law was put in practice weddings were eradicated. There wasn't a need for them. Suddenly a woman would be there for you, no questions asked. No awkward dating. No pricey rings. Romance didn't exist. Love was dust. Marriage was just a contract.

I remembered last night. The complete shock and confusion on her face when I ignored her. I could accurately guess what they were taught to expect and that alone fired me up even more. Never would I take a woman who didn't love me. Of course, these days it was impossible to find an available woman. They had to be wrapped in a bow and shipped to your house.

A frustrated sig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter