3 - A Classmate

If You Know, I Still Do
"Harin!" Junyeon rushed to me and linked her arm with mine. "Let's go to watch a movie today!"

"Ah, I must do my part time job today," I refused her offer with a smile. "Maybe next time, okay?"

Junyeon just nodded randomly to me. I knew she was trying to cheer me up after what happened between me and Junhyung. It's been weeks after I broke up with Junhyung yet my mood still changed unintentionally from time to time.

Even though we're only in a relationship for two months, every memory I had with him still haunted me.

He was special for me.

"Good afternoon, everyone," my lecturer entered the room with books in her hands. "Come on. Take your seat. The class will start."

We took our seats, filling the classroom with our voices. I looked around and noticed how this class was still separated by unseen wall, blocking us in groups.

We had passed half of our semester yet some of us still had not blend with the others. I wasn't the one who could say that I had befriended everyone in this class; I even still had not remembered some names.

The class started with the introduction of our new topic today. This was a subject called "Character Building", a class designed to enhance our interpersonal and intrapersonal skill.

I listened carefully to the lecturer who was talking about how important honesty and responsibility were in our lives. I listened to her and I must admitted that I agreed with her opinion.

I wondered if Junhyung would ever tell me the honest reason of breaking up with me. I didn't want to believe that it's because he thought he didn't deserve me.

Junyeon said that it's too cliche and, after apologizing numerous times because she didn't want to hurt my feeling, she told me about her assumption.

She said that perhaps Junhyung had someone else in mind. To put it really harsh, there was even a possibility that he was bored with me.

Rina neutralized my thought by telling me that perhaps Junhyung had realized that we couldn't get along too well, that he didn't want too hurt me in the future so he better took the decision now before it's too late.

I just wanted him to be honest. Was it that difficult?

"Trust is not something you can give and take easily," my lecturer told us. "It's like a glass. When you break it, it will never return to its original shape perfectly."

This lecturer was one of my favorite lecturers, thanks to her teaching method by sharing life lessons for us. Even though sometimes I didn't understand why this subject was included in our curriculum, I guessed I could bear with it so I never complained.

"Honesty doesn't mean you must say every little thing in your mind out loud," she continued again with a smile. "I believe all of you here are mature enough and you can decide how to share your thought and opinion with others."

"Now let's play a little game here," she clasped her hands together, earning our attention. "I will ask a question to one of you and you will give another question to your friend. Being honest is an important thing. Lying means you have a responsibility of your false answer."

I giggled, thinking that this game would be a fun game. Fun would make me forget about Junhyung for a while.

When night came and I tried to sleep, when I woke up and opened my eyes, his face appeared all of a sudden; my head told me to forget him...

...but my heart couldn't.

However the fun concept vanished when my turn arrived.

"Yeon Harin, who is the most handsome boy in this class?" one of my classmates asked me with a big grin. He was one of the most talkative persons in my class.

I glared at him with disbelief look while the other students look at me, waiting for my answer.

Could he even ask me a more ridiculous question?

I looked around, wondering if it's alright to give a honest answer. I never thought about the most handsome boy so I had no idea about the name I would give as an answer.

"He's not in this class!" someone answered loudly and laughed. "It's Yong Junhyung from the other class!"

"Junhyung! Junhyung! Junhyung!" some students who sat in the front row chanted his name with a big grin while I dropped my gaze with uneasy feeling.


Why did they need to mention his name at this time?

They knew that Junhyung was my boyfriend because he usually walked me to my class before the class started. They often spotted me together before.

Unfortunately they didn't know that I had broken up with him.

Avoiding gazes with them, my eyes stopped on someone who was wearing brown T-shirt. Our eyes met for seconds before I broke our eyes contact and looked at my friend who was sitting right behind me.

"Lee Gikwang," I answered shyly, earning teases from the others. I facepalmed myself, feeling that I was too easy to tease by my friends.

I didn't lie. I really thought that Gikwang was a really handsome boy. His smile was charming and he was a cheerful person who could befriend the others easily.

My jaw dropped when my lecturer announced that it's the last question for the game and she continued with her lecture. Why did I feel that I just got tricked?

"Ah, Harin thinks Gikwang is the most handsome boy!" Junyeon whispered to me. "How cute you are!"

"Yah, I answered it because of a game," I chuckled, knowing that she was only joking. Junyeon knew me too well to tease me with Gikwang. "I could give another answer if I wanted to, you know."

"Another name?" Rina joined to tease me, trying to erase the awkward atmosphere because of the joke about Junhyung. "Another handsome guy in this class? Really?"

I didn't answer her but I secretly glanced at the boy with brown T-shirt again while he was talking with his friends. His bright smile made my heart skip a beat but I tried to calm myself down.

As much as I wanted to mention the name, I didn't know his name. I knew that he was my classmate but I never had a chance to know him.

"Well, if you're the one who got that question, whose name would you give?" I asked them back, trying to divert the topic.

"Me?" Junyeon tilted her head, trying to think of a name. She looked around and then murmured, "I must agree that Gikwang is indeed the most handsome guy in this class."

I gave her a big grin, a sign that I had a great choice of picking handsome guy. I turned to Rina, "How about you?"

Rina swept the whole class with her eyes while the lecturer was talking about the consequences of lying could be really serious.

"I think Yoseob is good looking," she answered with a wide smile. "Not as good looking as Gikwang though."

"Yoseob?" I repeated the name in unison with Junyeon. At least I was not the only one who didn't know that name.

"That one," Rina turned to look at the one he was talking about. "The one who is wearing the brown T-shirt. Don't you two know him?"

My heart skipped a beat when I realized that Rina was talking about the boy I was looking at before I answered the question.

It's him.

"What's his name?" I asked Rina carefully, didn't want the others to know that I was really curious about him. "Do you know him?"

"Of course I know!" Rina frowned with confused look. "He is our classmate, Harin!"


"His name," I stared at Rina, waiting for her to give me the answer. I was really curious now.

"He is Yang Yoseob," she finally told me his full name. "Try to remember our own classmate's name, okay?"


I didn't listen to her anymore because I was looking at Yoseob at the moment. He was smiling while discussing something with his friends who sat next to him.

Yang Yoseob.

That's the name I was going to mention if I needed to give another name of the most handsome guy in class.

That's his name.
 
__________
 
Author's Note:
 
I know the three opening chapters look really random but they are only the introduction chapters.
If you have a guess that the story line will start after this chapter, you deserve 100 points.

Yes, this is the chapter where the main protagonist has noticed about Yoseob's presence.
Readers, be ready to meet Yoseob in the next chapter. :)