11 - A Lie

If You Know, I Still Do
"I'm sorry but I can't visit you tonight. Have an errand to run. I'll see you tomorrow. ^^"
 
I only could let a weak smile formed on my lips after I read the text message from Yoseob. I took a deep breath before I replied him.
 
"Ah, it's alright. Will definitely see you tomorrow. ^^"
 
It's funny how I could always use the emoticon in my text messages but, in the reality, I was extremely sad. Why didn't he tell me earlier?
 
Tonight Yoseob would visit my house, he said. It's almost exam week so he said he wanted to visit me before the busy week came between us. I allowed him right away because my parents would be glad to meet him as well.
 
Now that I had been ready to welcome him, he couldn't come. I was disappointed but I couldn't blame him either. Perhaps it's really important that he couldn't make it.
 
When I stood up, ready to leave the main room and went to my room, the knocks on the main door caught my attention. Was it possible that Yoseob came to find me?
 
My face beamed and I rushed to the door. Once again I put my hope too high that my smile immediately vanished when I saw it's not Yoseob who visited my house.
 
"Junhyung," I blinked in confusion. What was he doing here? "Can I help you? Is there anything-"
 
"Since when I was forbidden to visit my friend?" he ruffled my hair playfully with a grin on his face. "I was passing this way when I thought maybe I should pay a visit here."
 
I knew that Junhyung sometimes liked to visit his friends' houses randomly but I never expected that I would be on his list. At least not in the past months.
 
"Harin? Harin?" he waved his hand in front of my face. "Back to Earth! Are you busy or are you going to make me stand for hours?"
 
"Oh, I'm sorry," I snapped back to my senses and opened the door wider for him to step in. "Come in. I'm just... surprised."
 
"I'm always full of surprise, right?" he chuckled softly and stepped in. His eyes wandered around, "Ah, it's been a while since the last time I came here."
 
My heart ached by his simple statement. Back when we were still in a relationship, he always visited my house for almost everyday. Why did he remember every single thing about the past except the explanation part?
 
"Junhyung...," I murmured his name after I put a glass of water in front of him. We were sirring on the sofa in the main room when a thought crosses my mind.
 
"Yes?" he reacted, taking a sip of the drink. I pursed my lips; was it alright for me to ask him after a while?
 
But I was really curious.
 
"I was wondering... why did you break up with me?" the question finally came out from my mouth. I clenched my fists tight, waiting for the answer.
 
I knew it's ridiculous for me to ask him again after a while but, really, I still didn't understand why he didn't want to continue our relationship.
 
Junhyung stared at me for seconds before rubbing the back of my neck, "Well... Like I said, you're too nice for me so-"
 
"I know that's not the real reason," I cut his explanation quickly. "Please. Tell me the truth. Why did-"
 
"Then what if I ask you to come back to me again?" Junhyung's question made me speechless all of a sudden. My words were stuck inside as I tried to repeat his question in my mind.
 
"W-What are you talking about?" I looked away, feeling uneasy. What's wrong with him?!
 
Before he could retort me, Yoseob suddenly appeared with a box of chocolate in his hand. A bright smile appeared on his face, "Surprise! Harin, I-"
 
He immediately stopped and his smile disappeared when he saw Junhyung sat across from me. He surely didn't know Junhyung but I was pretty sure he knew about our history since my relationship with Junhyung was quite well known during last semester.
 
"Oh, I didn't know that...," Yoseob lowered his hand and took a deep breath. He looked at me and forced a smile, "I just... This chocolate..."
 
My heart sank immediately as I realized that Yoseob wanted to give me a surprise but all he found was Junhyung in my house.
 
"Ah, Junhyung just-" I was confused about how to explain everything to him but Junhyung suddenly stood up from his seat.
 
"I'm leaving now. Thank you for the talk," he flashed a smile to me and walked pass Yoseob. He went out from my house, leaving me with Yoseob in silence.
 
"I disturbed your time, didn't I?" Yoseob smiled weakly, looking above with no reason. "I shouldn't think about giving you a surprise, right?"
 
"Don't misundertand, Yoseob," I started to panic. "We just talked. Really. He... He wanted to borrow something from me. That's all."
 
Yoseob softened his gaze and tilted his head, looking at me. He puffed his cheeks and then smiled, making me to feel relieved, "I'm sorry. I'm just... Well..."
 
"Is that chocolate for me?" I quickly changed the topic, forcing a smile. "Let's eat the chocolate together."
 
I took his hand and led him to the sofa so we could eat the chocolate together. While Yoseob was opening the box, the guilty feeling struck.
 
I shouldn't lie to him. I knew it.

But why did Junhyung's question keep echoing in my mind?