Chapter Nine

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“Hyung,” Minhyuk says, readjusting his sitting position slightly for more comfort, “if you ate a vegetable half as many times as you eat ramyeon, you'd be the healthiest human alive.” Hoseok glances up from his bowl of noodles, some hanging out of his mouth as he's paused mid-slurp.

“I can't help it,” Hoseok defends after slurping up the rest. “Ramyeon is my reason for living. It's so delicious.” He shoves another clump into his mouth, relishing in the taste. “You live to eat, and I live to eat ramyeon. It's a great system we have.” Minhyuk chuckles at the flimsy argument, shaking his head. He then returns his attention to the essay he's been needing to work on all night, reminding himself if he doesn't finish he might as well just drop the class to keep the bad grade off his transcript.

A sudden knock at the door causes both their heads to snap up. They glance at each other confusedly, questioning just who would be out this late at night in the rain that had started up only a bit earlier, and Minhyuk stands to answer it. He opens it a crack cautiously, but then gaps and opens it all the way. Hyunwoo stands outside, his hair damp and sticking to his head.

“Hyunwoo-ya?” Hoseok says surprisedly, standing immediately from his seat. Minhyuk pulls him into the dorm, and disappears into the bathroom for only a moment before returning with a towel.

“Sorry guys,” Hyunwoo mumbles, taking the towel with a grateful smile. “I just… I was walking around and all of a sudden I’m here. I didn't even realize until I was knocking on your door.”

“Hyung,” Minhyuk begins, “weren't you and Kihyun-ah supposed to be going out tonight?” Hyunwoo nods, his gaze falling to stare at his feet. Minhyuk and Hoseok share a worried glance as the younger gently guides Hyunwoo towards a seat.

“It went great,” Hyunwoo says softly, “until the end. I gave him a bracelet that I could tell he didn't like, but he insisted on wearing it. I tried telling him to not feel pressured into liking it, but he just kept lying and lying to me.” He paused, shaking his head. “It's stupid, I know. I should've just let it be. But, I’ve had this nagging feeling lately that he's been lying to me, though I couldn't tell you what about. Then this morning when I called him, he had totally forgotten about our date. I don't know, I was just on edge all night, and then he lies to me and insists he's telling the truth even though he obviously isn't.”

“Kihyun-ah was pretty hungover this morning,” Hoseok finds himself saying, in an effort to defend the younger. Minhyuk shoots him a warning glare, and he can only shrug in response. He hadn't meant to say it, it just came out… “I mean,” he continues, trying to salvage his statement, “he was so drunk last night that he kind of broke down, so—“

“He what?” Hyunwoo asks, his gaze flicking up to Hoseok. “He didn't tell me about that…”

“I've never known Kihyun-ah to cry,” Minhyuk says with a confused frown. “I've never even seen him cry at a movie, TV show, anything.” Hoseok only shrugs again, getting the sense that he shouldn't have said that. The light in Hyunwoo's eyes shifts to suspicion, making Hoseok regret his statement even more.

“I-I,” he tries to say, nervous guilt bringing out his stutter. He clamps his lips shut, knowing a stutter would only make him seem even more suspicious, though he has no idea of what. It isn't as if anything happened between him and Kihyun on that park bench.

“What did he break down about?” Minhyuk asks, a seemingly reasonable question. Hoseok shakes his head helplessly.

“He d-didn't explain,” Hoseok answers, “b-b-but I guess it could be about what was bothering him a while ago. You know, the thing about low self-esteem…?” Hoseok gets the sense that he's only digging a deeper hole for himself the more he speaks, the questioning light in Hyunwoo's eyes never leaving.

“He never said that's what was bothering him,” Hyunwoo mumbles, his eyes falling to the floor. He rubs his eyes tiredly, murmuring, “I need a beer. Nothing's happened like it was supposed to tonight.” Minhyuk silently nods, shooting Hoseok a second glare as he goes to retrieve a beer from the kitchen.

“I'm sorry this happened, Hyunwoo-ya,” Hoseok says, trying to be supportive. Hyunwoo hums in acknowledgment, not looking up until Minhyuk returns.

“Here, hyung,” he murmurs. “If you don't feel like going back tonight, you're more than welcome to stay here.”

“Thanks, Minhyukkie,” he says softly. Hoseok bites the inside of his cheek nervously. Usually now he'd be leaving to stay the night over at Kihyun’s dorm, but for some reason he feels anxious suggesting that. As if hearing his thoughts, Hyunwoo looks up at him. “If it really is something like what you said,” he sighs as he opens the bottle, “then I don’t want Kihyun to be alone. He shouldn’t be on his own when going through something like that.” He pauses before asking finally, “Would you mind going and seeing if he’s okay, and staying with him tonight?”

“Um,” Hoseok mumbles surprisedly, “sure, if you really want me to.” Hyunwoo nods, which Hoseok does as well. “Alright,” he says, “I guess I’ll head over now, then. Feel free to use my bed, Hyunwoo-ya.” He then grabs his keys, phone, and wallet, a horribly ominous feeling filling him. He can’t help but wonder if this is some sort of trap, or some test that he’s failing by trying to be a helpful friend. Of course, it isn’t in Hyunwoo’s nature to test people like that. He’s much too kind and soft-hearted to be that manipulative. Hoseok pats the older supportively on the shoulder and pats Minhyuk on the back before leaving, heaving a sigh as he closes the door behind him.

“Well, hyung,” Minhyuk says, turning his attention back to Hyunwoo, “do you want to talk about what happened? I’m all ears if you do.” He sits down beside the older, resting a consoling hand on his knee.

“Minhyukkie,” Hyunwoo sighs, his voice coming out much fainter than normal, “I just don’t know what to do anymore.” He leans forward, setting the beer down carefully before resting his face in his hands. “If he feels pressured to wear a simple bracelet, did he even want to move in with me in the first place? Did he feel like he had to say yes to me when I asked him months ago? Could that be why he lashes out so much? And now, he’s telling Hoseok thins that I have no idea about… Does Kihyun even want to be with me?”

“Hyunwoo,” Minhyuk says in a hard voice, absolutely loathing seeing the older like this, “you can’t blame yourself for whatever Kihyun is going through. He wouldn’t want you to. He’ll tell you about what he’s going through when he’s ready, you’ve got to believe that.”

“I don’t know what to believe as far as Kihyun is concerned anymore,” Hyunwoo admits while shaking his head. “This feeling that he’s lying to me… I’ve had it for a long time. I’ve always just kind of ignored it, though, because I thought I was just being paranoid. But now, after tonight, I’m not so sure.”

“Kihyun loves you,” Minhyuk insists, “he wouldn’t lie to you for so long. You don’t do that to someone you love.” Hyunwoo glances up over at the younger, his eyes shining clearly at him.

“And if it’s someone you don’t love?”

The question shocks Minhyuk into silence. Sure, it isn’t the first time Hyunwoo has questioned whether or not Kihyun truly loves him, but it’s the first time he’s said it with such clarity. Typically, it takes four or so beers for the older to start talking like that, his eyes always clouded over when he reaches such a point. However, tonight, Minhyuk can tell he’s barely had a sip of alcohol.

Hyunwoo takes Minhyuk’s silence as all the confirmation he needs. He bends down, retrieving his beer, and presses the bottle to his lips, taking a long gulp. He swallows, the liquid feeling like a rock in his throat forcing its way down.