Chapter Twenty-Six

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Kihyun shoves his hands into his pockets as he walks. He remembers the pretty girl from the restaurant, the kind smile Hoseok had given him as she offered her number… It makes Kihyun’s blood boil with envy.

 

He doesn’t even realize how far he’s gone until he’s at his old spot at the lakeside. He sighs, dropping down to sit. He stares down at the water, frowning.

Why did he care so much? Why should he care so much?

He shakes his head at himself, shoving his hands through his hair in frustration.

“Hoseok hasn’t made his move yet, has he?”

“You and Hoseok sure spend a lot of time together.”

“You don’t have to feel guilty about dating Hoseok, Kihyun-ah.”

Kihyun glances up at the other side of the riverbank, remembering how Minhyuk’s and his own mother’s words had made him feel. Nervous, annoyed,… and delighted. Almost relieved, even.

His mother’s knowing gaze comes to the forefront of his mind. He replays the scene of the waitress giving Hoseok her number, remembers the jealousy he had felt—which still somewhat lingers—and can’t help but sigh. He leans back on his hands, staring up at the sky.

He thinks of all the times Hoseok had made him feel happy, safe, and comforted. He remembers awakening from the grips of Death to see Hoseok’s tear-streaked cheeks, his indescribably anxious stare. Despite the horrors of that night, he had been glad Hoseok was there with him. He’s always been oddly thankful that Hoseok had been the one to bring him back.

He thinks of Hoseok’s impossibly innocent smile, his exuberant laughter that escapes him at every chance… Kihyun smiles, his heart becoming warm and fuzzy in his chest. The memories make him feel as if he’s weightless, and he chuckles at his own sappiness.

I guess there’s no more denying it, Kihyun realizes. He sighs again, shaking his head at himself.

 

Kihyun doesn’t realize how long he sits there, lost in his own thoughts, until his phone buzzes. It’s merely an email that’s come through, but he notes with a start that it’s been three hours since he left. Guilt enters his heart. Hoseok must be so worried.

The young man stands, rubbing his sore , and turns to leave. However, a nearby splash stops him. He frowns confusedly, wondering just who else would be here at this time of night. He moves to follow the sound, curiosity overriding his own caution at seeking out an assumed stranger. It doesn’t take long to find the source, though, Kihyun only having to walk a few feet.

“—so stupid,” a familiar lisp floats on the night air, causing Kihyun to smile. He pauses behind a tree, content to just watch the silhouette skip rocks across the water’s surface. “Why didn’t I just leave the napkin? Now Kihyun’s mad at me… I ruined tonight.” Hoseok pauses in his rock-skipping, instead staring forlornly at the water.

Kihyun’s heartbeat stutters at Hoseok’s defeated tone. Surely the older can’t be really blaming himself for Kihyun’s outburst? Of course, what else is he to think? Kihyun had left without any kind of explanation… He had done to Hoseok something he had done to Hyunwoo many times in the past.

No, Kihyun thinks determinedly. That isn’t happening again. I won’t let that happen to Hoseok… I’ll make sure of that tomorrow. For now,…

Kihyun steps out from behind the tree, and goes to stand beside the older. He slips his arm through the crook of Hoseok’s elbow, causing the older to jump surprisedly.

“Kihyun-ah!”

“You didn’t ruin tonight,” Kihyun tells him softly. “I did. I overreacted, partly because I was jealous and partly because I didn’t know why I was so jealous. But, then I realized. I didn’t like the idea of anyone making a move on you, because you’re mine.” Kihyun is thankful that it’s so dark out, because otherwise the older would see his flaming cheeks.

“K-Kihyunnie—”

“You’ve done it, hyung,” Kihyun continues, this time his voice much softer. “You’ve managed to worm your way into my heart… The way you care for me and support me, that enough is to make me fall in love with you a hundred times over. I can’t fight it anymore.” He then breaks away from Hoseok, his hand sliding up to squeeze the older’s shoulder. Hoseok gazes down at him with wide eyes, his incredibly soft lips part in a look of utter shock. Kihyun smirks at the expression, unable to keep himself from chuckling amusedly.

“Y-Y-Yah!” Hoseok complains defensively, though it only serves to make him seem all the cuter because of his stutter. Kihyun merely chuckles again, both hands coming to rest on Hoseok’s chest. He then leans up on his tiptoes, and pulls Hoseok towards him.

Hoseok hums in surprise. Kihyun merely deepens the kiss in response, not wanting to break away. The older’s arms slowly snake around his waist, holding him tightly in place against himself. Emotions swirl within the younger, among them being overwhelming love, relief, and a sense of belonging greater than anything he had ever felt before. It’s hard for him to even process in this moment how right it feels to be in Hoseok’s arms… If he could have it his way, he and the older would be frozen in this moment forever.

However, they eventually have to pull away. Their panting breaths mingle with one another, their noses still touching as they peer into each other’s shining eyes.

“A-Are you s-sure?” Hoseok asks, his voice a mere whisper. Kihyun hums, nodding as he wraps his arms around the taller’s neck. He then nuzzles his head against Hoseok’s broad chest, closing his eyes contentedly.

“Surer than I’ve ever been about anything, Hoseok-ah.”

 

Kihyun sits in Hyolyn’s office the next morning, having upheld his regular appointment time despite the fact classes hadn’t actually started yet or anything. She didn’t seem to mind, though. In fact, she had seemed happy to see Kihyun, even going so far as to hug the young man upon his arrival.

“Noona,” Kihyun begins, drumming his fingers anxiously against his knees, “I want to be put on medication.”

“Did something happen over the break?” Hyolyn asks, her voice full of concern. Kihyun shakes his head, but stops to give a small nod.

“Kind of,” Kihyun slowly explains at her confused frown. “Hoseok and I are together now.”

“That’s wonderful, Kihyun-ah!” Hyolyn compliments, her voice taking on a level of excitement Kihyun had never heard before. Kihyun can’t help but chuckle at the outburst.

“Thanks,” he says, “we just got together yesterday. But, it happened after I stormed out during a fight we were having… It was over something stupid, something that I was insecure over for no reason. That’s something I used to do with Hyunwoo-ya all the time, and Hoseok deserves better. I want to be someone he can depend on as much as I rely on him.” He pauses before adding, “Besides, you yourself said I need a system other than Hoseok, but he’s the only one I really trust. So, all that really leaves is medication.” It takes Hyolyn too long to reply for Kihyun’s liking, and he worries he’s said something wrong.

“If you really think that’s best, Kihyun-ah,” Hyolyn finally says, her words coming out slowly, “then I’ll direct you to someone who can give you a prescription.”

“Thank you, Noona,” Kihyun responds immediately, nodding a million miles a second. Hyolyn merely gives him a small, hesitant smile, but Kihyun doesn’t really register the concerned gaze. He’s too happy with his success to be bothered by it.