Chapter Twenty-Seven

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

A month passes, full of countless changes in Kihyun’s outlook. It’s hard for him to believe how great the medication makes him feel, even though it’s a low dosage the doctor has started him out on. Maybe his depression wasn’t as bad as it was, requiring only a little jolt to be kept in check. Hoseok helps him during the first couple weeks to remember to take the new medication, being as perfect as ever. The couple begins to have a standard date night, and Hoseok reveals each time just how much of a romantic he truly is.

Despite all this, though, something nags at the back of Kihyun’s mind. He can’t help but feel guilty for everything Hyunwoo had gone through for them all to reach this point.

 

It’s because of this that Kihyun now finds himself sitting at a café, sipping on an Americano as he stares out the window. He had asked Hyunwoo to meet him a few days ago, to which the older had immediately replied yes. Kihyun nervously hums to himself in the empty café, earning curious glances from the baristas. He doesn’t care, though. Today Hyunwoo is going to get the explanation he deserves.

 

The older enters the café right on time, and sights Kihyun immediately. Kihyun awkwardly stands and gives Hyunwoo a one-armed hug before they sit.

“How are you, hyung?” Kihyun asks, his voice coming out much meeker than he had meant for it to. Hyunwoo gives Kihyun an understanding smile, eyes becoming crescents set beneath his brow.

“I’ve been good, Kihyunnie,” he tells him. “How are you and Hoseok?” Kihyun feels guilty at the question, though he knows the older didn’t mean anything by it. Hyunwoo’s too kind to have meant anything underhanded.

“We’re alright,” Kihyun answers. He in a breath through his teeth, trying to figure out how he should word this. He’d tried to get his words together ever since he decided to text Hyunwoo about meeting up, but hadn’t managed to think of anything that seemed quite right. “Hyung,” he says, “I asked you here today because I think you deserve an explanation for everything that happened between us.”

Hyunwoo visibly ripples at this, his broad shoulders rolling as Hyunwoo readjusts his position in his seat. Kihyun notes the tense way he sits, and immediately regrets bringing up the sore subject. However, he needs to get this out.

“I need you to understand it wasn’t anything you did,” Kihyun goes on, having difficulty meeting the older’s eyes. “It was all me. I know that sounds like some lame line, but it isn’t. I didn’t realize this until after we broke up and I went to a counselor, but I had clinical depression. It caused me to lash out at anyone close to me.

“I still have it, actually,” he adds quickly, “but I’m taking medication now, and seeing a counselor regularly. I’ll always have it, but I have a way to deal with it now. I just… I regret that you had to be put through hell for me to realize all this.” He hesitates before saying, “I don’t think it’ll ever be possible to put into words how sorry I am about how I treated you. You never deserved any of it.”

Kihyun pauses, having said everything he’s initially meant to say. He pats his lips nervously, hoping everything came out okay. He mentally runs through what he’s said, breaking away from the older’s gaze to drink from his coffee. Hyunwoo quietly watches him, clearly processing all he’s been told.

“Thank you, Kihyun-ah,” he finally says, much to Kihyun’s relief, and tries for a smile. “Hearing all that… It certainly sheds some light on our situation.” The two share a chuckle at his words, and he shakes his head before continuing. “I’m glad that you realized the problem and have found what you needed. It’s good to see you so happy.”

“It’s good to see you so happy, too, hyung,” Kihyun is quick to say. He forces out a laugh before admitting, “To be honest, it’s a huge relief. It means I didn’t screw you up nearly as badly as I had worried I did.” Hyunwoo chuckles lowly at this.

“I’ll be honest,” Hyunwoo sighs, “it did do a number on me for a while. But, Minhyuk-ah helped me through it all.”

“I’m glad,” Kihyun says, his voice a mere whisper. Hyunwoo hums, eyes shining happily.

The two sit there, staring contentedly at one another. They’ve been through a lot with one another since they met in high school, but neither would want to change a second of it, because it’s brought them to where they are now.

 

Another month passes before the end of the term comes to the group. Hoseok and Kihyun rent a place off-campus, as do Minhyuk and Hyunwoo. Hoseok has managed to finish one of his many songs, and sent it off to a plethora of companies with an application to become a producer. He had sent it at Kihyun’s request, not really expecting much to come from it. Imagine his surprise when Starship Entertainment responded with an offered contract. The same company, coincidentally which had snatched up Hyunwoo for a choreographer’s position after his graduation that year.

 

The next year passes by in a blur for the friends. Minhyuk graduates with a degree in business and childcare, and is hired by an upscale daycare center. He and Hyunwoo have already eloped, and are discussing having children of their own. Hoseok and Kihyun also graduate, one with a degree in music and songwriting and the other with a degree in theater.

To celebrate them all having made it through school, the group goes out to their old college bar. They sit on the grimy, now-somewhat-creaking stools. Hoseok and Kihyun lean against the counter, watching as Minhyuk drags Hyunwoo off to the karaoke corner. Hoseok glances over at Kihyun, love shining clearly in his eyes.

“Kihyunnie,” Hoseok murmurs, a certain little box seeming to weigh thirty times its normal weight in his pocket. He hadn’t wanted to ask so out-of-the-blue, wanting instead to plan the perfect evening around such an event, but he finds himself not caring. No matter what he does, the moment won’t be perfect unless Kihyun says yes.

Kihyun glances over curiously at Hoseok, a concerned frown coming to his face at seeing the older’s anxious state.

“What is it, hyung?” Kihyun asks. Hoseok his lips nervously, slipping his hand into his pocket to clasp around the box that he’s had for weeks.

“I…” he says, trying desperately to find the right words. “I l-love you, Kihyunnie. I d-don’t th-think it’s possible for you to know how much.” Kihyun can’t help but chuckle at the sudden proclamation, shaking his head. “That night, when you k-kissed me by the r-r-riverbank… I thought that’d b-be the best n-night of my life…”

“A month from then was the best night of your life, I guess,” Kihyun jokes flirtatiously, shooting the older a wink upon referencing the first night they’d made love.

“N-N-No!” Hoseok nearly shouts, his cheeks flushing, causing the younger to lean back in breathy laugher. He then pulls his lower lip between his teeth in a pout, the expression making his boyfriend sober up. “Kihyunnie, I’m trying to be serious here.”

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Kihyun apologizes with a sweet smile. “Go on.” Hoseok hums, and takes a deep breath.

Now or never, he thinks. If I don’t do it now, I won’t ever do it.

“Yoo Kihyun,” Hoseok says, his voice shaking slightly from his nerves as he pulls out the box and opens it, “will you marry me?”

Time seems to freeze as Kihyun’s eyes widen in surprise. He reaches forward, pulling out the simple yet elegant engagement ring out from the box. He slides it onto his own finger, eyes seeming to water at the sight of it shining on his hand. Though, everything in Hoseok’s vision starts to swim, so he can’t really be sure. Kihyun glances up to meet the older’s gaze, chuckling softly at seeing his watering eyes.

“Of course, Hoseok,” Kihyun answers easily. Hoseok cries out, wrapping his arms around Kihyun and kissing the top of his head as he pulls the younger close. Kihyun chuckles at the reaction, not even hesitating to return the embrace.

“I love you so much, Hoseok-ah,” Kihyun murmurs against Hoseok’s chest.

“So, you finally popped the question,” Minhyuk’s knowing voice suddenly echoes around them, causing the couple to break away. Their friend is standing on the karaoke stage with his husband, leaning tipsily against the mic stand. “About time, Hoseok! You’ve been carrying that thing around for weeks.” Kihyun barks in laughter at this, giving Hoseok a teasing glance. Hoseok can only smile at everyone turning to look at them, knowing he can’t very well kill Minhyuk while they’re out in public.