Chapter Twenty-Four

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

True to his word, Kihyun calls every day over break to ‘check up on Hoseok’. Though, if he has to be honest with himself, that isn’t his only reason for calling. It just doesn’t feel like a full day until he hears the older’s voice. He envisions what Hoseok must be doing without him there to nag him about his shoes or keeping his desk tidy.

His shoes are probably scattered all around the door right now, Kihyun realizes with a shudder, the mental image enough to turn his stomach. He shakes his head at the thought, forcing himself to refocus on the task at hand. He’s helping his mother make samyetang for dinner that night, something he always has to have while at home. It’s his last night before heading back, so it’s either tonight or never.

“Eomma,” Kihyun says, earning a prompting glance from the woman, “could you give me your recipe for this? I’d like to make it for Hoseok-ah when I get back.” His mother hums knowingly, chuckling under her breath.

“Of course, Kihyunnie,” she answers. She then pauses before adding, “Did I ever tell you that samyetang was the first thing I made for your father?” Kihyun shakes his head in reply, not bothering to glance up from his work. “It was our first night in this house. I was so nervous to have him try my cooking for the first time…” She smiles fondly at the memory, and Kihyun can’t help but in a breath through his teeth at the obvious implications of the topic. This hadn’t been the first time during his time here she had tried to draw similarities between his parents’ relationship and his friendship with Hoseok.

“I’ve cooked for Hoseok-ah before, Eomma,” he tells her. “I just want to make him something good when I get back, to make up for all the junk food he’s probably eaten without me there.” His mother chuckles at this, an unreadable light filling her eyes.

“I still say you should’ve invited him to join us over the break,” she murmurs.

“I told you, he and Minhyuk-ah probably—”

“Yes, yes,” his mother says, waving off his words. She then steps away from the counter, wiping her hands on her apron. She leaves the room for a moment, leaving Kihyun to sigh heavily. He wishes his mother would just trust his own judgment about whether or not he’s ready to get into another relationship. However, he supposes it’s a mother’s job to meddle, so it’s to be expected.

The woman returns a few minutes later, a recipe card held gingerly. She offers the aging card to Kihyun, a gentle smile painting her face.

“I hope Hoseok likes it,” is all she says. Kihyun bows respectfully, straightening up to give her a grateful hug before leaving to put the card someplace safe for the trip back to school he’ll be taking tomorrow. He then returns to the kitchen, a smile remaining on his lips the rest of the night.

 

Hoseok waits nervously by the campus gate the following morning. He had promised Kihyun he’d meet him in the dorm, but he figured it’d be a nice surprise for the younger to see him as soon as he reached campus. Hoseok can't help but chuckle when he envisions Kihyun's shocked expression, his lips pursing as he tries to contain his laughter. It's probably similar to the look he'll wear when he sees the dorm spotless, and hears of the reservation Hoseok made for them at the steak restaurant he had heard about before.

Sure, Kihyun had mentioned on the phone the previous night about wanting to make something for Hoseok upon returning, but the older wanted tonight to be all about his friend. He didn't want the younger to have to lift a single finger his first evening back at school.

 

Just as expected, Kihyun stares at Hoseok with a bemused glance upon seeing the older waiting for him at the gate. He steps out of the car, bags in hands, an unreadable light in his eyes. The gaze gives Hoseok pause for a moment, not knowing quite how he should react, but the uncertainty disappears as soon as the shorter wraps his small arms around his waist. Hoseok chuckles, throwing his arms around the younger in return.

“Welcome back, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok murmurs in his ear, tightening his hold on Kihyun before pulling away. He bends down to take the bags from Kihyun’s hands, the gesture seeming to surprise the younger for a moment. Kihyun arches back with laughter upon realizing what the older is doing, and shakes his head. Hoseok smiles dazedly as he watches his reaction, having missed seeing his bright smile.

 

“Is it just me, or did the past few weeks pass by slower than usual?” Kihyun asks as they walk down the hall. Hoseok hums in agreement. Kihyun glances around the hallway, humming a tune under his breath. Something about Hoseok seems different than before he left, and now he finds himself a bit nervous to be around the older. He knows it’s ridiculous, but can’t help it. “How’s Minhyuk-ah doing?” he finally says, grateful to have thought of something else to say.

“Fine,” Hoseok answers. “He said to tell you hi, actually.” Hoseok clears his throat, pausing before adding, “He said not to tell you this, but I’m going to anyway.” Kihyun laughs at this, and Hoseok practically whips his head around to watch. After this time apart, he’s decided to never miss another one of Kihyun’s smiles. “He’s really grateful to you for giving him the go-ahead for him to ask Hyunwoo out. They’re really happy together.”

“I’m glad,” Kihyun murmurs, his energy shifting slightly. Hoseok frowns at this, worrying he’s said something wrong. Kihyun meets his gaze and chuckles, shaking his head. “Really, I’m happy for them. It just got me thinking…” He hesitates, unsure if he should bring this up to Hoseok. However, he mentally chastises himself almost immediately, thinking it ridiculous to want to keep anything from the older. “My mom wouldn’t stop mentioning every day how much she wants me to start dating again. Talking about Minhyuk-ah and Hyunwoo-ya just reminded me of it.”

“It is a m-mom’s job to d-do that,” Hoseok laughs, feeling nervous at the notion of Kihyun dating again. “She wants to know you’ll be able to find somebody to be happy with, maybe even to start a family with one day. That’s all.”

“I know,” Kihyun says, “it just got kind of annoying. It felt like she doesn’t trust my own judgments about whether or not I’m ready for another relationship.”

“Maybe ask Hyolyn-noona about it,” Hoseok suggests, pausing in his walking to readjust his holds on the bags. “You know, just to get her off your back.”

“She did that already,” Kihyun mumbles, sounding a bit annoyed. “Apparently Noona thinks it’s a good idea, too.” Hoseok trips over his own feet at this, his heartbeat stammering against his chest.

“She does?” he asks. He winces at himself, unable to deny the hopeful tone in his voice. He chuckles nervously, shrugging as Kihyun gives him a curious look. “I don’t know, maybe it’d be a good idea for you to at least go out to the bar or something. Socializing is good for you.”

“Maybe,” Kihyun muses, his eyes still not leaving the older’s face. Hoseok his lips nervously under the unwavering gaze, silently kicking himself for not keeping himself in check. Luckily, they soon reach the door to the dorm.

Kihyun a surprised breath in through his teeth at seeing how clean the dorm is. Hoseok laughs wholeheartedly at the younger’s reaction, and passes him to put his bags down by his bed.

“Hyung,” Kihyun chuckles, “I’m impressed. You didn’t burn the place down while I was gone.”

“Yah!” Hoseok says through his own laughter, a wide smile overtaking his face. “Is that the thanks I get for taking care of the place while you were gone?” Kihyun leans back, having to hold his torso because of his now-aching ribs.

He straightens up, breathing deeply. Not even twenty minutes back and Hoseok has made him so happy, Kihyun can barely stand it.