Chapter Nineteen

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“How've you been, Minhyukkie?” Hoseok asks, hugging the younger tightly. Minhyuk chuckles into Hoseok's ear, returning the embrace. 
“Okay,” he answers. “I never know if it's okay to call or not, if we've somehow taken sides or what. I feel like I’m betraying Hyunwoo whenever I'm not around him, after everything he's been through. But, I've missed you.”
“It's only been a week Minhyuk-ah,” Hoseok teases, though he knows exactly what he means. Minhyuk pouts at the statement, though it breaks out into a smirk as he pulls in the older for another hug. 
“How's Kihyun holding up?” Minhyuk asks as they break apart once more. They take seats at the table, the waitress coming by almost immediately to take their order. Hoseok sighs, shrugging. 
“I'm trying to give him his space,” Hoseok replies. He pauses, remembering the incident in the counselor’s room earlier that day. “I can't help but feel like he's beginning to pull away from me.” He chuckles before adding, “God, I sound like his whiney boyfriend or something.” 
“Well you are, aren't you?” Minhyuk says. Hoseok stares questioningly at him, unable to tell whether or not he's joking. “Hyunwoo told me what he said to you when he gave you the key to the dorm,” he explains. He flashes a sunny smile, adding, “The ex has given you his blessing. What're you waiting for, a written invitation?” 
“I…” Hoseok murmurs, eyes widening in surprise. He hadn't dared to hope Hyunwoo's words were what he wanted them to be. Minhyuk hadn't even heard what Hyunwoo had said firsthand, but seems pretty confident about the hidden meaning. Of course, that's Minhyuk for you. He's always been able to see what's really going on, the inner-workings of everything being his business. 
Minhyuk sighs, breaking the older out of his thoughts. 
“You're really hopeless sometimes,” Minhyuk tells him, exasperated. “You know that?” He can't help but shake his head. This had been what he was afraid of. The older was never the best at taking the initiative when it came to his relationships, but Minhyuk had hoped Hyunwoo's blatant approval would've given Hoseok all the incentive he needed. Obviously, he had underestimated Hoseok's ditziness. 
“I don't feel right making a move so soon after Hyunwoo and Kihyun's break up,” Hoseok says. “Kihyunnie has some things he needs to figure out on his own. After that, I'll test the waters and try and tell if he's interested in something like that.”
“Is it something serious?” Minhyuk asks curiously. Hoseok hesitates, wanting so badKH to tell his friend everything that's happened, but knowing he shouldn't. 
“It is,” Hoseok simply answers. Minhyuk stares at him, waiting for a proper explanation, but the older doesn't offer one. He merely squirms guiltily under the younger’s  gaze, playing with the ends of his sleeves with anxious fingers. 
“I hope he figures things out,” Minhyuk says at last, his suspicions rising. Just what could be so bad that Hoseok is holding out on giving him information? The older has never kept anything from him before, so why now? What made this situation so important that he do such a thing? Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, nodding. He can't even begin to put into words how much he wishes the same. 

The two remain in the café as long as they can before feeling guilty for leaving their roommates alone for too long. Hoseok, especially, is in a hurry to leave when he realizes how long he's been away. Ever since Kihyun tried to off himself, Hoseok never feels too safe about leaving him alone. But, he has to power through it so he doesn't suffocate the younger. At least, so he thinks. 

Kihyun sits alone in the dorm, drumming his fingers against his knees. Hoseok had left a few hours ago, only about thirty minutes after the therapy session. Kihyun wracks his brain to try and figure out if he had said something wrong. But then, he remembers how Hoseok had touched him, and how he had physically rejected it. His heart bangs painfully against his chest at the memory, feeling incredibly guilty. 
Hoseok is the last person to deserve such treatment from Kihyun after everything that’s happened, everything he's done for the younger. He won't push Hoseok away like he did Hyunwoo. Kihyun shakes his head, resolute. He won't allow himself to continue in this pattern. It stops now. 
The door suddenly opens, and Hoseok enters the dorm. He seems surprised to see Kihyun sitting there, as if waiting for him. His eyes nervously dart around the room as he nods in acknowledgment. He takes of his jacket and runs a hand through his hair, his lips anxiously as he takes a seat on his bed. 
“Hoseok-ah,” Kihyun says, causing the older to jolt. “I… I'm sorry about how I've been acting lately. I know I've been pushing you away, but I'm stopping it now. You deserve better than that.” 
“You're n-not all to blame,” Hoseok murmurs. “I was trying to give you your space, but I guess I gave you too much.” Kihyun hums thoughtfully, the older’s words not really appeasing the younger’s guilt. Silence stretches between them, neither really knowing what to say. Kihyun finally can't stand it anymore and stands from the bed. 
“Let's make a plan for the week,” he stares simply. “Hyolyn-noona said that'd be a good idea for me to do, and recovery is all about participation. So, let's do it.” A brilliant smile breaks out over his face as Kihyun goes to get some paper and a pen, nodding excitedly. 
Kihyun sits in front of Hoseok's bed, leaning his side against the older’s leg for support. Hoseok is surprised at the sudden touch, especially considering what happened during the meeting, but he doesn't say anything. Instead, he turns his attention to the task at hand. 

They plan out everything, meals, free time, study time… even a new bathroom schedule for the mornings. Hoseok doesn't particularly think some of the things they plan are completely necessary, but it seems to give Kihyun some peace of mind, and that makes it all worth it. 

As they near the end of the last page, Hoseok absentmindedly begins to pet the naps of Kihyun's neck. Kihyun is aware of the touch immediately, and remembers what happened at the session. But, this time, he doesn't pull away. He merely leans into the touch, and slips an arm around the older’s legs. 
“Thank you,” Kihyun murmurs. His voice is so soft, Hoseok isn't sure he's spoken, but the tightening of Kihyun's hold on him tells him that he had. 
The younger then stands, moving to the kitchen. 
“I figured I'd make ramyeon for dinner,” he tells Hoseok. The older nods adamantly, even though he knows Kihyun can't see it. Kihyun let's out a breathy chuckle through pursed lips and clenched teeth, knowing exactly the older’s reaction. He goes about gathering ingredients and setting out the necessary dishes. Hoseok joins him, and helps the younger prepare his favorite meal.