Chapter One

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

Kihyun sits with his knees pressed to his chest against the door to his dorm, rocking back and forth as he tries to get a handle on things. He’s just had another fight with Hyunwoo, the third one this week. He doesn’t know why he puts the older through such torment when they both know he’s done nothing to deserve it.
“You’re pathetic,” the voice sneers. Kihyun shakes his head, pressing his hands to his ears in a desperate attempt to block it out. “All you do is bring misery and pain to those around you. All they want to do is love you, but you don’t deserve it. You’re a weak excuse for a human being…”
“No,” Kihyun whimpers in response, shaking his head adamantly.
“You should just end it,” it continues, coming to the same conclusion it always does. “Do everyone a favor and get rid of yourself. Let those around you be happy for once. It’s the best thing you can do for them now.”
“No!” Kihyun shouts, hitting the sides of his head, trying to get the voice to stop. Of course, it doesn’t work. Nothing ever makes it shut up. Nothing ever will, not until he—

The ringing of his cell phone jars him from his thoughts. He glances around confusedly, surprised anyone would want to speak with him right now. Surely the others know about the fight by now. He wipes at his face as he goes to answer the call, only now realizing the tears streaked down his cheeks.
“Kihyun-ah?” 
Of course it’s Hoseok. Hoseok always calls after Kihyun and Hyunwoo fight. Hyunwoo always runs to Minhyuk for solace, and Hoseok always calls Kihyun to get the full story and to make sure he’s okay. Trouble is, Kihyun never knows how to answer that second question.
“Hi, hyung,” Kihyun answers, his voice coming out shakily.
“I take it you and Hyunwoo-ya fought again?” he prompts At Kihyun’s silence, he adds, “Look, I’m not meaning to tell you how to run your life or anything, but Minhyuk and I have been talking. We think that maybe it’d be better if you and Hyunwoo spent some time apart…” He pauses, waiting for a response. When there is none, he goes on. “I know it isn’t really our place, but we care about you two, and we’re wondering if all these fights aren’t just because you two moved in together too early. Maybe if you spent some time away from each other, you’d stop all this fighting.”
“You know that isn’t it,” the voice whispers in Kihyun’s ear. He feels its overwhelming presence within him, distracting him from his current conversation. “You know that it has nothing to do with when you two moved in together. It’s nothing to do with him. It’s all your fault.”
“Kihyunnie?” Hoseok’s voice breaks through, gently demanding his attention. Kihyun shakes his head, rubbing his eyes with his other hand.
“Sorry, hyung,” he mumbles, sitting slowly on his bed with a sigh. “What were you saying?” 
“I just said,” Hoseok says slowly, as if listening hard for a sign of someone there other than Kihyun, “that maybe you two just moved too fast. You’ve only been dating for a few months, after all. Some people date for years before moving in together. If you and Hyunwoo are willing to test this out, Hyunwoo can take my bed at mine and Minhyuk’s place, and I can take his at your place. Only temporarily, of course.”
“Great,” the voice murmurs, “yet another person to disappoint and make hate you. That sounds like a perfect idea.”
“Kihyun-ah?” Hoseok asks wearily. “Is there someone there with you?” Kihyun’s surprised at this question, blinking in shock. “I ask because you seem a bit more distracted than usual.” Kihyun sighs, mentally kicking himself. Of course Hoseok hadn’t heard the voice, no one ever heard it but him.
“I’ll have to speak with Hyunwoo about the room switch idea,” Kihyun says, ignoring the question. He likes to keep from lying to his hyungs when he can, although it’s something that seems to be more and more unavoidable by the day. “If you need a place to sleep tonight, though, feel free to come by. I know this is the last place hyung would want to be right now.” He understands it, and is eaten up with guilt about it. If he could just keep his temper in check, maybe he wouldn’t be so horrible to his boyfriend that he didn’t even feel comfortable coming home.
“Alright,” Hoseok agrees, noting how Kihyun had brushed off his question, “I’ll text if I end up needing a place to stay.” Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, and tells his hyung bye before hanging up.

Hoseok stares at his phone suspiciously, almost certain there had been someone there with Kihyun on the other end. But, who could it be? Who would be over so soon after Kihyun had another fight with Hyunwoo? Why would Kihyun let anyone in after going through yet another bout with Hyunwoo? How long had Hyunwoo been gone, anyway? Usually, he runs immediately to his and Minhyuk's dorm after they fight… Hoseok can't help but be suspicious of the notion of someone being over at Kihyun and Hyunwoo’s dorm. He sighs, brushing his long bangs out of his face as he stands to leave the library. After packing up and sending an update text to Minhyuk, Hoseok begins to make his way towards his friend’s dorm. 

“Hyung,” Minhyuk begins, but the dull, pained stare causes him to pause a moment before trying again. “Hyung, you should take a shower. It's been a long day.”
“It's been a long three months,” Hyunwoo murmurs, tipping his fourth bottle up as he presses it against his lips. It isn't as if Hyunwoo particularly likes beer, to be honest, but the more he drinks the more tolerable the taste becomes, and the number he is to his own exhaustion. He sighs before continuing. “I don't know why Kihyunnie keeps me around, if he really hates me as much as he seems to. I try to be there for him. I try to help him whenever he seems down—which is all the time now, it seems—, but he always picks a fight with me instead of accepting it.”
“It isn't your fault, hyung,” Minhyuk tells him. “You've been nothing less than perfect to Kihyun. I don't know why he's treating you like this, but it isn't because of anything you've done. Kihyun-ah has seemed a bit… troubled lately. When he's ready to talk to someone about it, I know he will. But, until that happens, you can't keep letting him treat you like this.” 
“He just needs some time,” Hyunwoo defends, shaking his head. “I won't leave Kihyun-ah when he needs me.” Hyunwoo then stands, patting Minhyuk on the shoulder. “I think I'll go take that shower now. Do you mind if I stay the night? I think it'll be better if I just let Kihyun be for tonight. He always feels so bad after we fight, and he needs some sleep tonight. He won't get that if he's busy feeling guilty over our fight if I go back.” 
Minhyuk watches the older with a small smile, having to bite his tongue. He waits until Hyunwoo disappears into the bathroom before puffing out a sigh, shaking his head at his friends. He didn't mean for Hyunwoo to take his suggestion that way. The last thing he wants to tell them is to break up. He can easily see Kihyun losing whatever shreds of stability he has left if Hyunwoo breaks up with him. No, he had only meant to bring up the idea him and Hoseok had been trying to suggest to the couple for weeks. Perhaps it did come out wrong, Minhyuk realizes as he replays the conversation in his head. Maybe he'll try again later…. Or maybe he'll just wait for Kihyun to bring it up to him. Hyunwoo would be more willing to listen to his boyfriend about it, anyway.