Chapter Twenty

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“I'm nervous about going back home for break,” Kihyun admits, his gaze falling to his feet. 

“And why is that?” Hyolyn asks. She waits on him to answer, but when he doesn't, merely biting his lower lip in thought, she adds, “Kihyun-ah, you've been doing incredibly well this past month. You're speaking openly, you're making plans, you're communicating with your friends and working harder in classes… You've even gotten to the point where you don't need Hoseok-ah here with you anymore. I'm very confident that you'll be fine for the month-long holiday from school.”

“I just don't know,” Kihyun sighs. “Sometimes it feels like I can only do all this because of Hoseok. If he isn't around, I don't know what I'll be like.”

“Now’s the time to find out,” the woman insists bluntly. “You can't live your life so dependent on him. You need to figure out now whether or not you can make it without him.”

Kihyun blinks thoughtfully at the counselor’s words. This has become a common topic with them during their sessions. In fact, it was at her request that Hoseok stop joining Kihyun for his sessions. Hoseok had been reluctant, but Kihyun felt the need to prove himself to Hyolyn, so he insisted. He and Hoseok had been spending so much time together lately, anyway, that it's good for the older to take some time for himself. 

“What if I can't do it?” Kihyun asks sincerely. He looks up, directly into the woman's eyes. “What then?”

“Then we can discuss options,” Hyolyn replies. 

“The pills?” Kihyun says, though he doesn't need an answer. 

“I don't think medication is necessary in your case,” Hyolyn tells him, shaking her head. “It is genetic, considering your family history, but your level of depression doesn't seem to require it. You're doing just fine coping without it. Now all that's needed is for you to find some independent ways to handle your depression. I still want you to keep your support system, mind you, I just would like for you to not depend so heavily on him.”

After a moment, Kihyun nods understandingly. His trepidation lingers in his mind, but he forces himself to soak in the counselor’s words. They continue on, discussing whatever he wishes until the end of the session. Which, he has to admit, doesn't come soon enough. He wants nothing more than to leave, just so he can go see Hoseok. 


Maybe that's the issue, Kihyun thinks as he hurriedly leaves after the session ends. Maybe Noona is right. Maybe I really do depend on Hoseok-ah too much. He pauses, his foot hovering over the floor mid-step.  

I don't feel like I'm depending on him, though. I just like having him around. He makes the dorm… comfortable, I guess. It just doesn't feel the same whenever he isn't around and leaving his junk everywhere. Kihyun chuckles, shaking his head at his buzzing phone. I swear if I get back and he forgot his keys in the dorm again and is calling me about it… 

He pauses, frowning confusedly at the Caller ID. 

“Minhyuk-ah?” Kihyun asks, pressing the phone to his ear. 

“Kihyun-ah,” Minhyuk says, his voice sounding somewhat different. Kihyun can't tell why, though. It's just as boisterous and raspy as ever. “I was wondering if we could meet up for coffee. Now?”

“Um,” Kihyun answers, “sure. Where?” Minhyuk thanks him, gives him an address, and tells him he’ll see him soon before hanging up. Kihyun in a breath through his teeth as he slips his phone back into his pocket. Minhyuk rarely calls him, what little conversations they've had being over text, so whatever this is must be important. 

Kihyun quickens his pace, eager to find out.


“Thanks for coming, Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk says upon sighting the brunette, standing to give him a quick hug. Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, and takes a seat. 

“Is something wrong?” Kihyun can't help but ask. Minhyuk hums as he quickly shakes his head. Kihyun nods himself, unable to ignore the relief that washes over him. 

“I just,” Minhyuk begins, pausing to take a sip of coffee. “I wanted to speak with you about Hyunwoo.” Kihyun instinctively straightens up at hearing his ex-boyfriend’s name, but Minhyuk quickly reassures him. “He's fine, really. It's more indirectly about him than something he's done or anything.” Kihyun visibly relaxes, nodding. 

“But he's doing okay?” Kihyun can't help but ask. 

“Of course,” Minhyuk answers easily. Kihyun smiles at hearing this, glad their failure of a relationship didn't screw him up at all. Kihyun honestly doesn’t know what he'd do with himself if that were the case. Minhyuk sighs, seeming unsure of how to continue. 

“I'm just going to come out and say it,” he says. “I like Hyunwoo. A lot, actually. So I figured, what with you and Hoseok being together now—”

“Me and Hoseok what?” Kihyun asks, bewildered. Minhyuk blinks confusedly at the interruption, scowling. 

“Hoseok hasn't made a move yet, has he?” The younger’s silence is all the confirmation that Minhyuk needs. He sighs, exasperated, and sits back in his chair. “Sorry, I guess the cat’s out of the bag. I didn't mean to ruin anything. I just assumed, what with how much time you two spend together nowadays and the blessing Hyunwoo gave, that you two had become an item.”

“I'm not ready to be in another relationship,” Kihyun quickly corrects, shaking his head. “I mean, it isn't that I'm not over Hyunwoo or anything, I just… I don't really trust myself dating anyone right now, I guess. Not after what I put hyung through for so long.” He pauses before adding, “There's some personal things I need to fix before I get involved with anyone again.” Minhyuk hums, his gaze falling to the table. “But,” Kihyun quickly adds at seeing this, “if you want to ask Hyunwoo out, go for it. The both of you should be happy, and if becoming a couple helps out with that then by all means, do it.” 

Minhyuk smiles, seemingly relieved at the younger’s words. Kihyun smiles as well, though he can't seem to get Minhyuk's words out of his head. 

Hyunwoo's blessing? Blessing for what, Hoseok to ask me out? But, Hoseok and I are just friends, roommates. That's it. 

Kihyun's phone suddenly rings in his pocket, causing the brunette to jump in surprise. He pulls it out, and his heartbeat quickens at seeing it’s a call from Hoseok. 

“Kihyunnie!” the older greets as soon as the call connects. Kihyun can't help but chuckle at hearing the excited tone in his voice. “I know we had plans for dinner tonight, but I heard about this place that just opened up around campus. It's apparently got the best steak you've ever had. You like steak, right?” Kihyun begins to answer that yes, he does, but something stops him. He glances over at Minhyuk staring at him curiously, probably because of the ridiculous grin set on his face. 

“Sorry, Hoseok-ah,” he says after some time, trying to shake off the older’s gaze, “but I can't. I've got some assignments I need to finish up. Besides, I should probably start packing for the holiday anyway.” Hoseok whines disappointedly, and Kihyun can't help but laugh. “Stop pouting, hyung. We can go to that restaurant some other time.”

“I'm not pouting,” Hoseok defends, though Kihyun can almost hear the expression in his tone. 

“Of course you are,” Kihyun says bluntly. 

“Yah!” Hoseok protests amidst his wonderfully vibrant chuckling. “I'm still your hyung, you know! Show some respect.” 

“Sure, sure,” Kihyun answers. “I’ve got to go. I'll see you later, Hoseok-ah.”

“I'll see you at home,” Hoseok says after humming in acknowledgment. Kihyun hums himself before ending the call, and slides the phone back into his pocket. He smiles at the older’s words, for some reason loving the notion of seeing the older at ‘home’. 

“Thank you, Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk sighs. “I hope things work out well for you soon, however it ends up being. I'm sorry to call you so randomly like I did, but you know how I get. When I need to take care of something, I need to do it as soon as I can.” Kihyun only hums, nodding to the older. He gets up, in a breath through his teeth. 

“I mean what I said, Minhyuk-ah,” he assures the older. “I hope things work out for you, really.” Minhyuk's characteristically bright smile turns a bit somber as he chuckles. 

“Thank you, Kihyunnie,” he says again. Kihyun nods once more, giving his friend a smile before leaving the café.