Chapter Eighteen

A Morning Meeting: Prequel to A Walk in the Night

“I talked to my mom,” Kihyun says, earning a curious glance from Hyolyn. A week passed quickly for Hoseok and Kihyun, classes keeping them busy enough to not think too much about the previous week’s events. Kihyun’s grateful for the classwork keeping him busy. It manages to keep him from thinking too much about all that’s happened recently. Despite Hyunwoo and him having their friendly reconciliation, he still feels guilty about how everything went. A guilt that, if he’s to be completely honest, seems to spike whenever Hoseok is near, though he isn’t sure why. It’s made him avoid Hoseok as much as possible, which isn’t that hard considering their different schedules and how much time the older spends at the gym on a weekly basis.
“About the relative you mentioned?” Hyolyn prompts, although she feels she already knows the answer.
“My aunt was diagnosed with clinical depression,” Kihyun answers while nodding. He pauses before asking, “I’m not going to end up like her, am I? She’s isolated from the family, and is a danger to herself and others. I…” He pauses, feeling nervous about saying this with Hoseok sitting right next to him, though he doesn’t know why. “I want to have my own family someday. Will I be able to if I do have depression?”
“Of course,” Hyolyn replies easily, giving him a supportive smile. He visibly breathes a sigh of relief, nodding again. Hoseok shifts in his seat, leaning back to stretch his arms out on the back of the sofa. Kihyun can feel his overwhelming presence spreading out around him, and it makes him feel a bit anxious. Butterflies flutter in his stomach, the image of the older’s strong arms wrapping around him from behind and holding him flashing to the forefront of his mind. He’s vaguely aware of a blush creeping up his cheeks at the thought, but he quickly pats his cheeks to make it go away.
“You okay, Kihyunnie?” Hoseok asks from behind, noticing his shift in mood. Kihyun nods quickly, not daring to look behind him. He’s sure to have a concerned pout on his face, and Kihyun can never handle that particular expression. Hyolyn’s eyes flicker between the two boys, a knowing light coming to them. She shakes her head slightly, but then clears and continues on.
“It’s good you’re thinking of what you want out of your future,” she tells Kihyun. “You should do that more often. Make weekly plans, whether it be what to have for dinner or a night out with friends. Being very open about how you feel, your doubts and concerns, are a good way to get ahead of this voice of yours. How long has it been since you last heard from this voice of yours?”
Kihyun glances up at the ceiling, patting his lips lightly in thought. The last time he remembers hearing that voice is… 
“I don’t think I’ve heard it since the night before our first session,” Kihyun mumbles, eyes falling confusedly. It isn’t that he’s upset to have seemingly lost the voice, but why now? After the last time he went a while without hearing it, he can’t help but be suspicious. Hyolyn looks away to write something down, and then returns to staring at Kihyun as she asks when the last time was it’s been so long since he heard the voice. Kihyun answers, inadvertently diving into a retelling of his lost lake stone.

Hoseok watches the younger speak openly with Hyolyn, glad he’s at least talking to someone. He had thought after the first session that Kihyun would open up to him more at their dorm, but he hasn’t seemed interested in the least. He tries to give the shorter his space, in order to not make him feel pressured in any way to share, but he can’t help but feel he’s ended up giving Kihyun too much space.

As Kihyun talks about his past with Hyunwoo, Hyolyn bringing up the subject to try and figure out the root of the voice and thinking it has something to do with the relationship, Hoseok notices him becoming agitated. It’s understandable, of course. The wound is still a bit too fresh to be speaking so casually about it. Although, Hoseok doesn’t blame Hyolyn for asking, having the same suspicion as her for a while. It’d make sense if Kihyun’s guilt somehow manifested itself in this voice for being in a relationship for so long with someone he doesn’t love.
Hoseok sighs, absentmindedly reaching forward and placing a hand on the nape of Kihyun’s neck. He begins to pet the thin line of hair there comfortingly. Kihyun relaxes against the touch, taking a moment too long to realize what he’s doing. He immediately straightens up upon realizing, stiffening slightly. Hoseok notes the reaction, and quickly snatches his hand away at seeing what he’s doing. A mixture of guilt and hurt clog up his throat, and he awkwardly clears it as he runs the hand through his hair before setting it in his lap. 

The two leave the counselor’s room a couple hours later. Hoseok stuffs his hands into his pockets anxiously, not wanting a repeat of what happened on the couch. He feels awful about it, hoping Kihyun didn’t think he was trying to make some kind of move on him. Of course, Kihyun should know that. The younger and he have been friends for years, and he knows how handsy Hoseok is typically. Though, it was different before. Before Hoseok hadn’t been harboring a year-long crush on the younger, and Kihyun hadn’t just been dumped by Hyunwoo. 

Hyunwoo and Minhyuk sit in their dorm, doing homework. Or, at least, Minhyuk is. Hyunwoo has been asleep, though Minhyuk doesn’t know for how long. He only noticed the older was asleep in the first place when he felt his fingers brush up against his waist. Minhyuk glances down, noting Hyunwoo’s hand so close to the waistband of his jeans. Hyunwoo lies on his back, his eyes slightly open in his sleep, a soft snore escaping his parted lips. Minhyuk finds it particularly hard to concentrate on his work, the proximity of the older setting him on edge.
Minhyuk’s phone suddenly buzzes beside him. He goes to check the notification, and sees it’s a message from Hoseok asking if he wants to meet up. Minhyuk looks over at Hyunwoo’s sleeping form hesitantly, not particularly wanting to leave him alone in such an adorable state. He wishes to savor every moment like this, when Hyunwoo looks so cute without even trying. The mere thought causes his heart to beat just a little faster.
Minhyuk sighs at himself, at how deeply he seems to be falling for Hyunwoo, and replies to Hoseok. He then stands, careful so as not to wake the other. He writes a quick note to the older about where he’s going in case he wakes up before he comes back, and grabs his keys and wallet before leaving. He shakes his head, doing his best to get the sight of Hyunwoo sleeping out of his mind. He needs a clear head for talking to Hoseok, hoping to get some answers he’s been dying to know since Hyunwoo picked up his things a week ago.