Chapter 9

Under the Deep Blue Sky (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #1)

 

Feiyan

 

Despite Yizhong’s protests, Feiyan had insisted on going to look for Yixing. He had been gone for a while, and judging by the look on Yizhong’s face that he tried to hide behind a tiny smile, something had gone terribly wrong. The crowd of people on the riverbank parted to let her pass, and Feiyan spotted Yixing bending over something, Yifan by his side. Yixing looked up at Yifan, a worried look on his face.

 

“What are you doing?” She asked. Yixing froze and turned to look at her slowly, dread slowly dawning on his face.

 

“Feiyan…” For once, he was at a loss for words, and Feiyan noticed him shift slowly sideways to hide something behind him and Yifan. Feiyan tilted her head curiously and approached her husband.

 

“I asked, what are you doing?” She repeated, trying to peek behind him. Yixing sighed and placed his hands on her shoulders.

 

“It’s nothing you should be interested in.” He said, “Go back to the stable, I will be back soon.” Feiyan put her hands on her hips stubbornly, and when he refused to move, she pushed him aside. If she had been thinking carefully, perhaps she would have realized how odd it was that she could push him aside so easily. All thoughts however, flew out of Feiyan’s head as she finally saw what Yixing was trying to hide from her. Her legs gave out from under her, and her knees hit the dirt beneath her as she slowly absorbed the scene placed in front of her. Feiyan’s hand trembled slightly as she reached out and touched Tianjun’s still hand, a soft gasp escaping her lips as the cold clammy quality of his skin met the tips of her fingers. Although she already knew what she would be facing, her fingers traveled down his hand to his wrist. Many years ago, a royal physician had taught her how to feel a person’s pulse, and perhaps…

 

Nothing.

 

Feiyan’s hand slipped to the ground as she failed to detect anything from below Tianjun’s skin. Far away, she could hear voices murmuring and a closer voice saying something to her, but everything had dimmed to a jumbled hum ringing in her ears. Some last strand of rationality told her to stand, to show that she was alright, but Feiyan couldn’t get her body to respond properly. Someone slid his arms under her and picked her off the ground, and Feiyan let herself slump numbly against him. Slowly, the sounds of the crowd faded away, and Feiyan felt soft blankets rub against her palms.

 

“Feiyan.” Warm hands rested on her knees, and as the world slowly came back into focus, Feiyan found herself looking into Yixing’s dark eyes. He had placed her onto the bed in their shared tent, and was now kneeling in front of her.

 

“Feiyan, breathe.” He ordered, “You can do it.” Feiyan released the breath she hadn’t realized she had been holding, but her resumed breathing did little to ease the tightness in her chest.

 

“Who?” She finally managed to eke out after a few moments. Yixing sighed and shook his head.

 

“It is hard to say right now.” He replied, “He was only found a little while ago. But I definitely will find out who did it.” Yixing’s gaze was unusually gentle as he touched her hand.

 

“Stay here for now and don’t go outside. Get some rest if you can.” He said, “I can imagine you’ve suffered more than your fair share of shock for today.” Feiyan wanted to scream at Yixing’s suggestion.Tianjun was suddenly dead, and she didn’t even know why! How was she supposed to rest in a situation like this? She wanted to cry, to hit Yixing, to demand that he find out who the culprit was. But her body felt heavy, and even talking felt like it took too much effort. She simply closed her eyes and leaned her head against the bedframe, and after a few moments, she felt Yixing stand up and walk away.

 

“Keep a good eye on her.” She heard him order the maids before exiting the tent. Feiyan sighed and simply tried to sort through the rush of emotions welling up in her chest.

 

************************************************************************************************************

Yixing

 

Yixing could feel the thick tension clogging up the air as he entered his father’s tent.


 

“Father.” He bowed.

 

“How is Feiyan doing?” the Khan asked. Yixing sighed and shook his head.

 

“She’s so shocked that she isn’t even crying.” He replied, “In fact, she has barely said a word since she found out.” Luhan sighed from his seat.

 

“It is only natural for her to react that way.” He said, “Who would expect Tianjun to be killed on Mongol territory?” The Khan looked over at Yixing.

 

“Yixing, what do you suggest should be done?” He asked. Yixing thought for a moment before speaking.

 

“There is one week left until Tianjun was scheduled to return home.” He said, “I think we should refrain from informing the Ming Emperor until that week passes. We can use that time to search for the culprit instead.” Yilong scoffed.

 

“We would be guilty of keeping a secret from the Emperor.” He criticized, “That is more than enough reason for him to bring soldiers out here to destroy us. This is his son we are talking about.” Yixing glared at his older brother.

 

“Would it be any better if we told him now and failed to give him an answer about who the culprit was?” He countered, “At least, if we informed him later, we can hand over the culprit at the same time.” Yilong narrowed his eyes.

 

“And what makes you think you can find the culprit within a week’s time?” He demanded. Yixing crossed his arms.

 

“I will.” He replied, “If I cannot, the Ming Emperor will have to put the blame on someone. I will take full responsibility.” He held up a hand as his father started to protest.

 

“As the crown prince, it was my fault for not providing adequate protection for Prince Tianjun.” Yixing said, “It is only right that I take responsibility.” He turned to the Khan and bowed.

 

“Please allow me full control over the investigation, Father.” He said. The Khan thought for a moment, then nodded.

 

“Yixing’s suggestions are sensible.” He said, “I will give you five days, Yixing. Can you complete your tasks within that time?” Yixing bit his lip at the smaller time frame, but nodded.

 

“I definitely will, Father.” He promised. Yixing took a deep breath and turned towards where the soldiers were gathered outside.

 

“Men! Listen to my order!” He called, “No one is to leave camp until this culprit is located! Send men to every possible exit and guard it carefully!” Yixing could feel Yilong’s eyes on his back as he watched soldiers hurry to follow his order. His hands clenched slightly at his sides to stop them from trembling.

 

It is alright if I have to die, but at the worst, if I fail to find the culprit...this could mean war.

 

*************************************************************************************************************

A few days later, Feiyan

 

The world slowly merged into focus as Feiyan opened her eyes, her head leaning against the side of the bed. It was the same position she had been in for most of each passing day. A plate of cold food sat on the table, but Feiyan could not muster the strength to move to eat it. Her maids had long given up coaxing her to get up and eat, and had been forced to be satisfied with successfully nudging a  few bites and sips of water into . Feiyan trembled slightly as she looked down at her hand. She could still feel the cold touch of Tianjun’s skin against her fingers, the lack of the strong beating pulse that she could always feel. Despite it having been a few days, she could still barely breathe every time the truth crossed her mind. Yixing had all but disappeared in the past few days, but Feiyan could barely make herself care. She was simply too tired. Footsteps came to the tent entrance, and Feiyan heard a familiar voice speak.

 

“Just what are you doing?” A hand reached out and tilted her face upwards, a pair of soft brown eyes looking down at her.

 

“Feiyan, you cannot do this.” Yilong chided, “What would your brother think if he saw you like this?” Feiyan looked away from Yilong, not finding it necessary to answer. Yilong clucked disapprovingly and stepped away for a moment. A few seconds later, Feiyan felt a warm wet cloth scrub gently along her face.

 

“You have lost weight.” Yilong murmured softly as he gently patted her face with a wet towel, “Your face is getting dirty too.” Feiyan sighed and reached up, pushing his hand away weakly. Yilong sighed and gently put her hands on her shoulders.

 

“Feiyan, there is one way you can help find out who killed your brother.” He said. Feiyan’s eyes rose as the words sunk in, a small spark of hope blooming in her chest.

 

“How?” She whispered, her voice cracking slightly from disuse. Yilong beckoned to a maid behind him, who was holding a plate of freshly made food.

 

“Eat first, and then I will tell you.” He said, as he held out a spoonful of food to her. Feiyan bit her lip slightly, then reluctantly opened .

 

I will do anything to find out who killed my brother and why.

*************************************************************************************************************

Yixing

 

Yixing sighed and rubbed his face in exhaustion. Despite his bold words to his father, he was beginning to worry that he could not make good on his promise. The crime scene had been wiped completely clean of any clues, and while the injury on Tianjun’s body had provided one direction of investigation, none of the royalty or nobility had lost any weapons lately. And certainly, no criminal would be foolish enough to run around with a six foot tall halberd in his hand.

 

“You should go rest.” Yifan suggested, “You have barely slept for the past few days.” Yixing shook his head.

 

“I cannot.” He protested, “Time is already running short.” Yifan rose from his seat where he was studying an anatomy book and pulled Yixing to his feet.

 

“And it would do no one any good for you to collapse.” He replied, “Go back and take a nap. See how Feiyan is doing while you’re at it.” Yixing opened his mouth to protest again, but fell silent as he saw the look of finality on his brother’s face.

 

“Alright.” He finally conceded. Yixing felt his shoulders growing heavy as he headed towards his tent, and it was not just from exhaustion. How could he sleep properly when he was not even making progress? If he did not find the culprit soon, chaos was going to break out, and it would be beyond his ability to stop it. He paused as he stepped inside the tent to find it completely empty.

 

“Where is Feiyan?” He asked as a maid entered with a plate of food. The maid froze in panic.

 

“I-I’m not sure.” She stammered, “The princess told me to get food for her and sent the other maids away this morning. I was not gone for very long!” Before Yixing could process the information, a soldier came running in.

 

“Report!” He gasped, “Princess Feiyan has taken a horse and ridden out of camp towards the west! She was gone before we could stop her!” Yixing’s heart leapt into his throat.

 

If it is the west...that is the direction of the Ming kingdom! Don't tell me...

 

Gritting his teeth, Yixing rushed out of the tent and headed for the stables. Above him, clouds began to gather in the sky and the distant rumble of thunder reached Yixing’s ears. Nevertheless, he grabbed the closest horse he could reach and galloped after the sole set of hoof prints leading out of the camp.

 

That idiot!

 

*************************************************************************************************************

Feiyan

 

Rain started to drip down onto Feiyan’s face as she rode as fast as she could, causing her legs to slip even more from her horse’s bare sides that she could barely keep her thighs tightly wrapped around. Her hands clenched tightly around the horse’s mane as Yilong’s words echoed in her head.

 

“Yixing didn’t want to do this but...right now, the only one with the power to find who killed Prince Tianjun is your father, the Ming Emperor. Yixing told everyone to give him five days, but time is rapidly running out. Unfortunately, I have no way to contact the Emperor right now. Perhaps you, his daughter, can find a way.”

 

Feiyan gasped for breath as the rain worsened, sending water running into . Yilong was right; if Yixing couldn’t find the culprit within the allotted time, then the only one who could was her father.

 

I can no longer sit around and wait!

 

The wind picked up her loose hair and whipped it around her face, branches from the surrounding trees scratching at her cheeks. Far away behind her, Feiyan heard a faint voice calling out to her.

 

“Feiyan! Where are you?” The sound was ripped away into the wind, and Feiyan ignored it even as she felt her grip on her mount begin to slip again.

 

“Feiyan!” The voice was closer this time, and Feiyan recognized it as Yixing’s. She grit her teeth and urged her horse to go faster. She would not let Yixing stop her, not now.

 

“Feiyan!” Yixing was directly behind her now, startling Feiyan with the speed he had caught up to her.

 

“Feiyan! Stop! It’s too dangerous, stop right now!” He yelled at her. Feiyan ignored him, even though an inkling of rationality in the back of her mind said that Yixing was right. She could barely ride a little faster when her horse had all the proper equipment on it, much less gallop at full speed . A clap of thunder echoed loudly through the forest, startling Feiyan’s horse and sending it skittering sideways. Feiyan immediately lost her grip on the horse, and found herself falling sideways off the horse’s back.

 

“Feiyan!” Instead of hitting hard ground, Feiyan found a pair of strong arms wrapped around her, their secure grasp softening fall. Her chest heaved as her heart pounded in fright, and before she could barely process what was happening, Yixing was grabbing her shoulders and yelling.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” He yelled, “You could have died, Feiyan!” Feiyan felt something snap inside her and she shoved Yixing’s hands away.

 

“Then just let me die!” She screamed back, “There is no point to my living on anyway! My father gave me away to here, my mother died early, my sister is married out of the family, and my brother was killed!”

 

“That doesn’t mean you have to die too!” Yixing yelled as he tried to grab her again, “You can live on without them!”

 

“What do you know?” Feiyan cried as she fought back, “How can you understand how I feel?”

 

“Because I’ve been in your position before!” Yixing finally screamed, and Feiyan’s words died in as she looked up at him in shock. Yixing’s chest heaved from the energy used while yelling at her, but his eyes were strangely tranquil.

 

“I’ve been in your position before, many years ago.” He repeated a little softer, “I know how you feel. I felt desperate and angry, rebellious, and furious that no one could give me an answer why. But if you run to your father now without an answer, war will break out, and many more people besides your brother will be dead. Do you want that to happen?” Feiyan stared at him for a moment, rationality starting to come back to her. Yixing was right; with how tenuous the relationship between the Mongols and her people were at the moment, the smallest thing could lead to a war, much less the murder of a favored prince. Her hands went limp, as if her strength had been sapped out of her in one second. Yixing hesitated for a moment before pulling her into a hug, his hand gently resting on the back of her neck.

 

“You can cry if you want to, Feiyan.” He said, his voice just audible over the roar of the rain, “You can cry all you want, and I will hold you until you are finished. But once you are done crying, you must be strong and pick yourself up again. That is the only way we can find the culprit and end this matter once and for all, do you understand? You are a princess of the Ming and the future queen of the Mongols. You must be strong.” His words pierced deep into Feiyan’s heart, elucidating emotions that she had buried the day that Tianjun had died. Emotions roared through her body until they rushed up , and Feiyan’s hands tightened on Yixing’s arms as tears bubbled up into her eyes, a sob broke free from her lips, and finally, she let herself cry.

 

***********************************************************************************************************

A little while later

 

Feiyan could hear the soft murmurs of people around her as Yixing lifted her off the horse he had carried her back on. His hands were tightened protectively around her shoulders, his embrace warm and safe despite Feiyan’s soaking wet clothes. Yixing carried her quickly into their tent, his arms briefly leaving her to wrap blankets around her shuddering body .

 

“Prepare a hot bath!” He barked at her maids, “And bring new clothes for the princess!” Feiyan felt her teeth chatter as she opened her eyes slightly to look at the scene around her. Yixing had deposited her onto the bed, but his arm was still wrapped around her protectively.

 

“Y-yixing…” Her lips felt frozen as she tried to speak.

 

“Save your strength.” He ordered gently as he rubbed her shoulders, “You will feel better after a bath.” Feiyan leaned her head against his shoulder, allowing his body heat to warm her up. After a soothing bath, Yixing led her back to the bed and tucked her in.

 

“Rest now.” He said softly, “You will need it.” Feiyan reached out and grabbed his sleeve as he turned to go. Yixing turned in surprise.

 

“Feiyan? What’s wrong?” He asked gently. Feiyan bit her lip, but could not come up with a proper answer. Somehow, the thought of him leaving her side was frightening, and she wanted nothing more but to have him by her side while she slept. A pleading expression must have entered her eyes, because Yixing chuckled softly and sat down next to her.

 

“I’ll stay. That’s what you want, right?” He murmured as he smoothed hair away from her face. Feiyan felt her anxiety ease, but maintained her grip on Yixing’s sleeve as she closed her eyes. Sleep quickly overtook her, and for the first time in a while, Feiyan allowed herself to sleep easily.

 

*************************************************************************************************************

Yixing

 

Yixing felt an inexplicable emotion bloom in his chest as he watched his wife sleep. Even after falling asleep, she refused to let go of his sleeve, like a child clinging to her favorite toy. Yixing thought back to what had happened within the past hour as he eased her hand back under the blanket. Why had he felt so angry about Feiyan’s recklessness? Was it just fear that her actions would lead to a war, or was it something more? When she had fallen from her horse, he had rushed forward without hesitation and wrapped her into his arms. At that moment, he had wanted to do nothing else but to hold her tightly and never let anyone harm her ever again. And why had he said those things he had barely told to anyone else? The questions circled endlessly around Yixing’s head, eliciting a deep sigh from the prince.

 

“So you found her.” A voice interrupted his thoughts, and Yixing looked up to see Yilong standing next to him.

 

“You don’t seem surprised.” He replied coolly.

 

“Well, I was hoping she would get farther than she did.” Yilong replied calmly. Yixing felt rage rise in his chest as he rose from his seat and grabbed Yilong by the collar of his clothes.

 

“Are you telling me that you are the one who urged her to head for the Ming Emperor?” He demanded. Yilong looked back at him unperturbed, and unhooked Yixing’s fingers from his clothing.

 

“I simply gave her a push in the right direction.” He replied, “You were not gaining any progress. You should be thanking me, little brother.” Yixing growled in annoyance and punched Yilong hard across the face, sending the older prince tumbling backwards and onto the floor.

 

“I will kill you if you dare to touch her again!” Yixing snarled, “I don’t know what you are up to, but stay away from her! If anything happens to Feiyan, you are finished!” Yilong chuckled, much to Yixing’s chagrin.

 

“You are still a paper tiger, Yixing.” He said, “In all these years, nothing has changed. Admit it. You find Feiyan an annoyance, a burden. You have never liked her before. Why pretend like you do now?” His words stung with a little truth, but Yixing pushed the feeling aside and raised his hand to hit Yilong again when a soft voice spoke.

 

“Yixing?” He froze and turned to see Feiyan’s eyes half open, still heavy with sleep.

 

“What is going on?” She asked softly. Yixing forced himself to swallow down his rage and hurried over to his wife instead.

 

“Nothing.” He said coolly as he patted her on the shoulder, “Yilong simply tripped and was on his way out so he wouldn’t bother your sleep. Isn’t that right, Yilong?” He turned and gave his brother a glare, and Yilong gave him an irritatingly calm smile as he picked himself up and brushed loose dirt off his clothes.

 

“Of course.” He said, “I’m sorry I woke you up, Feiyan.” Feiyan closed her eyes as Yilong finally left the tent, her hand reaching over to tug on Yixing’s finger. She mumbled something sleepily, and Yixing leaned closer.

 

“What did you say?” He asked gently. Feiyan gave him a sleepy laugh and repeated what she had said, her breath blowing softly against Yixing’s ear.

 

“Thank you.”